Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Okabashi Mens Surf Flip Flops
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

VINE VOICEon September 18, 2010
I'm not a flip flop person. I needed a pair for the pool/beach this year and wanted ones that were antimicrobial and comfortable. yes crocs are both but are over priced. These Okabashi's are actually great. They seem to be formed in a mold so the strap and piece that goes between your toe is all one clean smooth piece. They are very soft even though they look like recycled rubber. They also are cushy and keep your feet from slipping out or to the sides. The BEST feature about these is that you can put them in the dishwasher or washing machine to clean them. I had an expensive pair of Nautica's and they got wet from going in the pool, well they smelled like the garbage dump and they were brand new. The Okabashi's didn't smell and they don't absorb water like most flip flops...Love them and hope they last forever!
on August 12, 2013
Of course, shoes are very subjective. All of our feet are so different. So to make a shoe to fit all and feel comfortable to all is really impossible. But if you wear rubber sandals aka flip flops, you should consider the Okabashi brand. They make a great assortment of sandals.

I'm from Florida. I was born a beach boy. So from the youngest age, I have worn flip flops. From a teen on up my feet have been a mens 11. A large foot. So finding flip flops to fit was never easy.

Working in the Bahamas, I picked up a pair of Reefs that I dearly loved and wore them for ten years, until one day, they came apart. Ugh. I have always hated shopping and looking for replacements, I found out that the Reef brand, where once a top quality brand, was no longer at that level. Broke my heart. So the search began for a top quality, inexpensive replacement for my beloved Reefs.

I quickly came upon Okabashi. Now I almost passed them by because of the name. I wanted to buy American made and that is obviously a foreign name. But in reading I found out that the company is named after the designer and that all of their products are made in the USA! I also found out that they are sold in a lot of local stores. So off to CVS to try on a pair. I couldn't believe how soft the rubber felt, so much softer than the Reefs. The toe post is thick, but my feet are large so that wasn't a problem. It may be for you if you have slender feet with close toes.

But the thing that will sell you OR be a deal breaker is the raised instep with "massage beads". At first, these beads felt strange to the bottoms of my instep. But in a very short period of time, I not only got used to them, I can't wear any other sandal! They are wonderful on your feet and those beads really do sooth your feet as you walk. Plus, the raised sole has continued to keep me free of plantar fasciitis, which I suffered from for years! And you can wash these on the top shelf of your dishwasher!

Not only are they worth the retail price, CVS runs deep sales at the end of each summer, up to 75% off the list price!

So if you are looking for American made, and need some rubber sandals, do check these out if you get the chance!

PROS:

Relatively Inexpensive
Soft Rubber
Raised Instep
Soft Massage Beads On Instep
Various Sizes And Styles
Two Year No Questions Asked Exchange Warranty
Made In USA
Very Comfortable
Dishwasher Safe

CONS:

Heavy On Small Feet
Thick Toe Post
Massage Beads And Raised Instep May Feel Odd To Some

One more thing:

Cheap flip flops can damage your feet, causing many painful problems. And cheap flip flops can't be washed in the extremely hot water of the dishwasher which kills the 30,000 plus types of bacteria that can grow on flip flops. I wash mine with alcohol and anti-bacterial soap constantly. So be mindful that you may find cheap flip flops in the corner store, but if you wear them a lot, you may be causing lots of problems for your feet. Just do an online search for "flip flop foot problems" and educate yourself so you'll have happy feet!
on December 2, 2010
Sure they claim to have a lot of perks like being Anti-Microbial, Reflexology-based, Supportive, Dishwasher-safe, anti-slip, and joyfully comfortable...but the fact is they are too heavy. They are quite heavy for sandals and having a thong for a heavier sandal seems like a mistake. They are a little hard to walk around in and I am not sure that I like them. I would not walk far distances in them. However, if using them for smaller tasks like taking public showers they can be okay. They might take some getting used to. Also, they smell somewhat like tires seeing as they recyclable. Hopefully the smell goes away soon.

EDIT: These sandals are joyfully comfortable after getting used to them for a few weeks. They just took a long time to get used to and now i walk just fine in them. Being a former croc sandal owner they felt really heavy at first. I would give them 5 stars now. Give them a chance like I did!
on September 1, 2011
I'm in iraq and I have gone through 11 shower shoes just because the gravel and dirt tear them up on the bottom. I have had these for 2 months now and wear them back and forth to the shower and its a good walk. Not even a scratch on the bottom or a sign of any wear what so ever. These are hard as a tire and tough sandals. They are slip resistant as well. The great thing is that I dont even feel the gravel under my feet. Companies make a product to withstand the elemts like tough book laptops or Pelican cases. These are the sandals that now fit in that catagory!. I can see myself owning the same sandals for another 2 years without purchasing another. one solid mold is also great about these so you dont have to worry about the thong part breaking. The only thing is the weight of the sandals they are heavier than the normal ones but who cares grow some damn muscles and wear these.
on November 20, 2013
PROs:
Made in USA
Simple design and can be worn with a variety of outfits
Have a nice arc to provide support for walking - unlike other flip flops I've experienced, you're feet don't hurt the second you leave the house.
Nice thick soles - if you step on a thumb tack or sharp rock you probably won't feel it [as much] as the $5 Old Navy sandals that are paper thin or any other cheap set of flip flops.

CONs:
Heavy
Smelly - I've been told and even noticed that my feet smell after wearing these for a while. I think it's the flip flops because my other flip flops don't make my feet smell. The odd thing is no one notices the smell until I start wiggling my feet or take my sandals off and walk around barefoot.
Seems that the treading wears out much faster than the rest of the flip flop. My first pair was still pretty thick, but the treading was so worn out it was unsafe to wear them. I really wanted to brand them like they do w/ cattle, but I don't know how to do that safely. My second pair had that same problem. I can't decide if I should get a third pair or not... I probably will. They last about a year (I wear them a lot) and they're made in the US.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on October 15, 2015
Just ordered a second pair, so what does that tell you? Wore these all summer at the beach and I love them. I've worn Croc's for many, many years, since they were actually made in Colorado and not China. These sandals are more comfortable than the "new" Croc's in my opinion. A much firmer support bed for your feet. The thong does NOT irritate your toes like most sandals. I see comments about them being too heavy. Yes, they are slightly heavier than Croc's, but they're lighter than my running shoes and more comfortable too. I wear size 11 shoes and the XXL fit perfectly.
on August 17, 2013
I noticed when researching, that some Okabashi sandals are sized differently. Some say S, M, L, XL - and some are sized in- between, such as, ML (8.5 to 9.5.) which I had previously purchased. I wear and 8.5 and I don't believe the ML would fit a 9.5 foot; the in-between sizing seems to run small. Other than that, they are a very comfortable sandal, great for walking and around the beach/water. I ordered the men's sandal for my grandson and he loves them. My sandals have a slightly wedged heel (they are called Aspire by Okabashi). The women's sandals also come with a flat sole and in different colors.
on March 6, 2016
The ONLY flip flop that is comfortable with the condition of plantar faciatis as there is no pain with these wonderful sandles! Great design! Great support for a high arch! and EZ price on the wallet! ANd the bonus is that they come with a 2 year guarantee of quality!
on April 26, 2013
Pros:
[1] Made durable and sturdy, with grip traction soles. The material feels similar to that of a heavy duty rain mat.
[2] Weighty. I won't slip in them, and they don't soak up water like foam sandals do.
[3] Made in the USA, with recycled material.

Cons:
[1] The toe strap is a little uncomfortable at first. That's essentially due to weight of the sandals which, inevitably, is more reassuring than discomforting. I got used to it after wearing them twice.
[2] Wearing them, I can't run farther or faster than a backyard dash. Not really a con.

I'd purchase these again without reservation.
on March 31, 2016
First off, they felt great putting them on! Unfortunately, it is too narrow for my wide foot. Usually flip flops do not cause that problem. Of course, I usually buy the $2 Walmart brand flip flops. So, I cannot attest to quality flip flops from experience regarding the strapping roominess. I wanted to wear these, but the strapping was just too tight for my width of foot. I knew that I would get friction and redness as soon as I walked out the door. Gosh I wish it was not so because I loved the arch support and how wonderful it made my foot sole feel. So, if you have narrowish feet, then do buy these. If you have anything wide x 1 , better look elsewhere or maybe bump up. For me, I don't want to just keep bumping up the size till I finally get it right. Waste of postage. These a quality sandals. Do buy if you have narrowish feet. Buy at own risk if you have wider feet. Of course, this is what I find out with a lot of regular feet wear--that my feet are just too wide. It isn't the shoe's fault, it is my foot width's fault. Cheers! Good luck.

See 1 answered question