5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than expected
Published on September 18, 2010 by Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware Croc owners.
Published on December 2, 2010 by Horacio Villarreal

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than expected, September 18, 2010
I'm not a flip flop person. I needed a pair for the pool/beach this year and wanted ones that were antimicrobial and comfortable. yes crocs are both but are over priced. These Okabashi's are actually great. They seem to be formed in a mold so the strap and piece that goes between your toe is all one clean smooth piece. They are very soft even though they look like recycled rubber. They also are cushy and keep your feet from slipping out or to the sides. The BEST feature about these is that you can put them in the dishwasher or washing machine to clean them. I had an expensive pair of Nautica's and they got wet from going in the pool, well they smelled like the garbage dump and they were brand new. The Okabashi's didn't smell and they don't absorb water like most flip flops...Love them and hope they last forever!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware Croc owners., December 2, 2010
This review is from: Okabashi Mens Flip Flop Sandal (Apparel)
Sure they claim to have a lot of perks like being Anti-Microbial, Reflexology-based, Supportive, Dishwasher-safe, anti-slip, and joyfully comfortable...but the fact is they are too heavy. They are quite heavy for sandals and having a thong for a heavier sandal seems like a mistake. They are a little hard to walk around in and I am not sure that I like them. I would not walk far distances in them. However, if using them for smaller tasks like taking public showers they can be okay. They might take some getting used to. Also, they smell somewhat like tires seeing as they recyclable. Hopefully the smell goes away soon.

EDIT: These sandals are joyfully comfortable after getting used to them for a few weeks. They just took a long time to get used to and now i walk just fine in them. Being a former croc sandal owner they felt really heavy at first. I would give them 5 stars now. Give them a chance like I did!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, April 28, 2011
A little stiff when I first got them but after a couple of days wearing they got comfortable and now very easy to wear. Comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Worn Flip Flops For 50 Years And These Are The Best!, August 12, 2013
This review is from: Okabashi Mens Flip Flop Sandal (Apparel)
Of course, shoes are very subjective. All of our feet are so different. So to make a shoe to fit all and feel comfortable to all is really impossible. But if you wear rubber sandals aka flip flops, you should consider the Okabashi brand. They make a great assortment of sandals.

I'm from Florida. I was born a beach boy. So from the youngest age, I have worn flip flops. From a teen on up my feet have been a mens 11. A large foot. So finding flip flops to fit was never easy.

Working in the Bahamas, I picked up a pair of Reefs that I dearly loved and wore them for ten years, until one day, they came apart. Ugh. I have always hated shopping and looking for replacements, I found out that the Reef brand, where once a top quality brand, was no longer at that level. Broke my heart. So the search began for a top quality, inexpensive replacement for my beloved Reefs.

I quickly came upon Okabashi. Now I almost passed them by because of the name. I wanted to buy American made and that is obviously a foreign name. But in reading I found out that the company is named after the designer and that all of their products are made in the USA! I also found out that they are sold in a lot of local stores. So off to CVS to try on a pair. I couldn't believe how soft the rubber felt, so much softer than the Reefs. The toe post is thick, but my feet are large so that wasn't a problem. It may be for you if you have slender feet with close toes.

But the thing that will sell you OR be a deal breaker is the raised instep with "massage beads". At first, these beads felt strange to the bottoms of my instep. But in a very short period of time, I not only got used to them, I can't wear any other sandal! They are wonderful on your feet and those beads really do sooth your feet as you walk. Plus, the raised sole has continued to keep me free of plantar fasciitis, which I suffered from for years! And you can wash these on the top shelf of your dishwasher!

Not only are they worth the retail price, CVS runs deep sales at the end of each summer, up to 75% off the list price!

So if you are looking for American made, and need some rubber sandals, do check these out if you get the chance!

PROS:

Relatively Inexpensive
Soft Rubber
Raised Instep
Soft Massage Beads On Instep
Various Sizes And Styles
Two Year No Questions Asked Exchange Warranty
Made In USA
Very Comfortable
Dishwasher Safe

CONS:

Heavy On Small Feet
Thick Toe Post
Massage Beads And Raised Instep May Feel Odd To Some

One more thing:

Cheap flip flops can damage your feet, causing many painful problems. And cheap flip flops can't be washed in the extremely hot water of the dishwasher which kills the 30,000 plus types of bacteria that can grow on flip flops. I wash mine with alcohol and anti-bacterial soap constantly. So be mindful that you may find cheap flip flops in the corner store, but if you wear them a lot, you may be causing lots of problems for your feet. Just do an online search for "flip flop foot problems" and educate yourself so you'll have happy feet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy in Florida, June 24, 2013
I was very happy with the quality and the price of these flip-flops. I live in Florida and wear sandals every day and I have paid up to 3 times the price for less comfort.
And by the way when was the last time you have seen a 2 year warranty on a pair of rubber flip-flops.
I would have rated them 5 star if it weren't for the sizing, they run very small, I wear a size 12 and ordered the 11-12 but had to retune those because my heal and little toe hung over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Okabashi Sandals, September 25, 2010
I live in these sandals. This is my third pair. They are very reasonably priced and made in the USA. And shipping on Amazon is $8 cheaper than directly from the company, so how can you beat that?

4.0 out of 5 stars Rubber softer than expected, but comfortable., August 29, 2010
This sandal seems to be made of very flexible rubber (much more flexible than expected) and I had to get re-accustomed to the toe thong, but these are quite comfortable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small, February 24, 2013
I wear shoes sizes 11.5 wide to 12.5. I was trying to replace some 6 year old Okabashi XLs that actually fit me. These are substantially too narrow for my feet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, uncomfortable, and fell apart after a few months, December 17, 2010
They are heavy and hurt my feet (the straps leave marks and I have the scars to prove it)!!!!

On the plus side - I have flat feet and I found these to have an exceptional sole shape in that they give me the extra arch support I need.

Update: they fell apart after a few months and I had to throw them away. I have 99 cent flip flops that have lasted way longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Okabashi Mens Flip Flop Sandal, August 17, 2013
I noticed when researching, that some Okabashi sandals are sized differently. Some say S, M, L, XL - and some are sized in- between, such as, ML (8.5 to 9.5.) which I had previously purchased. I wear and 8.5 and I don't believe the ML would fit a 9.5 foot; the in-between sizing seems to run small. Other than that, they are a very comfortable sandal, great for walking and around the beach/water. I ordered the men's sandal for my grandson and he loves them. My sandals have a slightly wedged heel (they are called Aspire by Okabashi). The women's sandals also come with a flat sole and in different colors.

Okabashi Mens Flip Flop Sandal