5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Cookbook for Ovo Lacto Vegetarians
Published on January 10, 2001 by carolyn5000

3.0 out of 5 stars Kid-Friendly But Not the Healthiest
Published on March 26, 2011 by CrimsonGirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Cookbook for Ovo Lacto Vegetarians, January 10, 2001
This review is from: Okay, So Now You're a Vegetarian: Advice & 100 Recipes from One Teen to Another (Paperback)
Though I am 23, older than the intended audience, my Mom bought me this book as a present. I was thrilled with it. Lauren Butts has created a fun and easy cookbook for anyone. I love the layout of the cookbook, it is divided into sections, and I enjoyed her nutritional info in the front of the book. Maybe it will inspire more teens to go veg.I found this cookbook full of great meatless recipes. I must warn strict vegetarians and vegans however, that most recipes contain dairy products, or eggs. There is a great recipe for "Nathan's Blueberry Breakfast Cupcakes", that is easy to make and tastes like store bought. However when I tried to get my three year old neighbor to eat one, he refused in horror. Other recipes that I have enjoyed making include: apricot chimichangas, Thai tofu Veggie Wrap-yum, Burrito Roll up, Veggie Pitas (Tastes the same as Wendy's veggie pita), Layered Nacho Salad, Mock Caesar Salad (in case you didn't know, Caesar Salad dressing is typically made with ANCHOVIES-fish=meat), Chilled Berry Soup-this is a fabulous recipe I made last summer when berries were plentiful, it is totally tasty and makes a great meal, TASTY FLATBREAD PIZZA WITH ARTICHOKE HEARTS!! This pizza was so unbelievably tasty, I have always been a bit wary of artichoke hearts, they just look kind of disgusting you know, but I was so shocked to discover their delicious taste!! Veggie Quesadillas were also fabulous. SPAGHETTI PIE is indeed a great dish, and I like to make it when serving non-vegetarians. It has been a hit with everyone so far. Tofu McNuggets are the absolute bomb. These recipes are only a fraction of the great ones in this book. I would highly recommend it to parents of new young vegetarians, or college students like myself who don't have that much time to cook. Some have opined that this book is full of recipes that are fattening, but I think most know, that us vegetarians are a mostly lean lot, and I can personally attest that the recipes aren't fattening. Thanks Lauren for creating a great book, it is indeed an oasis as far as Veg cookbooks go. Its great to have a cookbook that isn't full of really long, hard to find, expensive ingredients!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy for beginners, flavourful for the more demanding cooks, January 23, 2004
By A Customer
I am 13 and although I did not purchase this book from Amazon (I got it from my local boarders), I couldn't resist sharing how great it is with you. As I have it sitting next to me I'll mention some of the best recipes. (By the way I am about to become an ovo-lacto vegetarian but wanted to try some of the recipes 1st)
~First of all, my first one, brown butter ravioli w/ portobello mushrooms. I could not find pesto ravioli so I supstituted garlic and something or other (meatless of course!). They were delicious I must say.
~I have only recently had thai food where I got chicken pad thai (as I said I am not yet veggie) although they had vegetarian. Well, I loved it so imagine my delight when veggie pad thai was in this book (no thai food places near me :( I was at my cousin's)!
~Lastly, breakfast in your pocket, I have yet to try but very much want to- also I have been thinking of trying this on a croissant.
Also: Nathan's Blueberry Breakfast Cupcakes- I wanted to give them to the 5 year old I babysit for but he is allergic to like EVERYTHING so I'm afraid lol.
Overall, I love this book- A must for anyone- even non-vegetarians!
(I am an ok cook so be aware that some recipes require cooking skill)
sorry for rambling on- just so much to say

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential for New Vegetarians, June 6, 2006
...especially young ones. I have now been a vegetarian for five years and rarely use this book any more but it was GREAT when I was first starting out. Lauren Butts was sixteen when she published this book and the recipes are all geared towards kids in that age group - both in simplicity and taste.

When I bought this book it was getting a lot of buzz because it had just been published by such a young author. Judging by the date of the last review, I'm guessing it has fallen off the radar. I, however, would still recommend this book to any teenage vegetarian.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kid-Friendly But Not the Healthiest, March 26, 2011
I got this for my 8 year-old when she briefly decided to try out a vegetarian lifestyle (she has since resumed eating poultry in moderation). It's a mixed bag. The recipes are easy-to-follow, use common ingredients, and are very kid-friendly. On the other hand, many of them are not all that healthy- lots of refined carbs, full-fat dairy products, and so on. A full quarter of the book is devoted to snacks and desserts. Many of the breakfast, lunch, and dinner dishes are also on the junky side. For example, the "Orange Cranberry Almond Cereal Bar" is basically a variation of a Rice Krispie treat. The entrees tend to be things like pizza, mac-n-cheese, tacos, enchiladas, burritos, burgers, etc.

If you're going vegetarian (or eating less animal products) for health reasons rather than ethical ones, this isn't the cookbook for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for moms!, July 14, 2011
K. Tropper (Graz, Austria) - See all my reviews
A friend lent me this book since I recently read Jonathan Safran Foer's book Eating Animals and decided to turn my back on the meat industry forever. However I am a mom of three kids and how do I keep them pleased and feeling they are still eating their favorite dishes? This book is great and offers lots and lots of vegetarian alternatives to kids' favorite foods. It's also great for moms because, although I CAN cook, I am happy to have simple recipes that can get meals on the table fast. I haven't actually tried any recipes yet but was going to copy the ones that sounded good and found myself marking almost every page. I guess I will have to get a copy of this book myself! P.S. My kids do not miss eating meat at all. Healthy, home-cooked food is all they need.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks!, November 27, 2011
As a vegetarian who loves to cook, I've looked at countless vegetarian cookbooks over the years, and, honestly, this one remains one of my favorites. I got it as a present in middle school, and even though it's been almost a decade and I'm out of the intended age range, I greatly appreciate the ease and tastiness of this cookbook's recipes! Even my non-vegetarian family members and roommates have been impressed by the meals we've made from it. It's true that it includes recipes for things like vegetable pot pie that aren't particularly light, but with nutritional information given on every page and plenty of healthy options, it's always served me just fine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such fun recipes, April 29, 2013
So far i only cooked one thing from the book, which was the pa tai... which was very good. I love to read other ppl reviews before i buy books and i would have to agree with others when they say this is not healthy vegitarian eating. I mean she is very young what do you expect. she is playing around with cooking which is fun. I kind of read some of her recipes and changed them a bit to match my taist and health concerns. She loves playing with soy sause which has alot of salt in it. But overalle i love her clarity in writting the book, recipes are very easy and fun to eat on your cheat days when your not too worried about counting calories. :P yum

4.0 out of 5 stars My teen vegetarian loves it!, January 21, 2015
I bought this for my teenager, who recently became a vegetarian. I had gotten it for her from the library, and she liked it so much, she wanted her own copy. There are some pretty good recipes. I would give it 5 stars, because she loves it, except many of the recipes call for canned ingredients which contain a lot of sodium. Also many are fairly high calorie. If you're concerned about sodium and calorie intake, which I am, you'll have to substitute fresh ingredients or lower sodium and lower fat versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the most helpful vegitarian cookbook around., August 24, 2000
Ryan Mathews (Tiburon, California) - See all my reviews
I personaly know the author of this wonderful book. I went to a camp with her that helps for college credits. She is very intelligent and I have tried the food in this book. It tastes really good. The book is well thought out, easy to read and perfectly set up for any teenage vegitarian. I gave a personal review before it was published, so I do recomend this book to any teenager that is willing to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Information, January 9, 2014
My grandson has decided he will be a vegetarian. while I am a meat eater, if he chooses this path I want him to be well informed about dietary needs and not just "stop eating meat".

Okay, So Now You're a Vegetarian: Advice & 100 Recipes from One Teen to Another