Customer Discussions > Thief [Online Game Code] forum

Okay... Where Is My Boxed Copy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 11, 2013 11:24:41 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
Once again, it looks like PC gamer's are getting the short end of the stick. Where is my boxed copy? I'm getting tired of this download only bull.

Posted on Apr 4, 2013 7:38:09 AM PDT
Justin Burke says:
Usually starts out as digital download. It's a long release date, so eventually it will change.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2013 8:31:26 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
I'm not so sure. Everything that's come from this publisher recently has been digital only for PC. If they change back now, they will be breaking with the usual. I won't get my hopes up. or my wallet out.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 6:29:49 AM PDT
roboticsun says:
SE wont have boxed copy in NA, but you can always buy box version from Europe

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 7:25:53 AM PDT
Boxed Copy?!? What decade are you living in?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2013 10:12:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2013 10:16:33 PM PDT
H. Le says:
Eli Oliver,

That's how you do it. The publishers save a bundle by releasing game digitally. If they are unwilling to pass on a portion of that saving to the Customers, then I simply wait for the price to drop to make my own saving. As is, I have never paid more than $25 for any exclusive digital download.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2013 1:30:56 AM PDT
BujinkanRN says:
That is, assuming Sony or S-E don't region lock the console or game.

Posted on Apr 26, 2013 7:46:24 AM PDT
Cloud-Envy says:
Whats the point of having a boxed game. The only boxed games I buy require no online activation. That's hard to find. Your best bet now is to look for games that just let you download an .exe That you can keep on your hardrive.

that being said I did just buy box copes of "X3" and "The witcher". They came with music videos, a book... oh ya, they had a game in there as well. It felt real nice. I wish we could go back to that. Sadly Times have changed.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 6:25:26 AM PDT
H. Le says:
Cloud-Envy,

As you suggested, boxed games are great for collectors. In addition, even if the game is an online activation & account tie-in game - such as Steam games - it is much faster to install the game from the disc than having to download it first before installing.

It is a personal preference. As I pointed out, for those who prefer having more than only one option to buy game, they'd do well to demonstrate their preference to the publishers by either not buying download only game at all - or buy it at a lower price like I do.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 7:50:09 AM PDT
Eli Oliver says:
I agree with you H.Le. I like to have the boxed copy from a collector's standpoint. And, as you pointed out, a disc install is much quicker than a digital install, especially for those that do not have a fast internet connection.

I have purchased many digital only titles, but never at full price. Publishers only seem to understand your complaint when it affects their bottom line.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2013 8:19:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2013 8:21:15 AM PDT
Cloud-Envy says:
That comment hits my heart a bit. I remember when I still had satellite and had purchased modern warfare 2 on disk. I installed, Then it said it wanted to down load the game form steam for 32 days. It then took me two days to learn how to get the game to instal from disk. The fact that some people don't have good internet in the only reason you can still buy games on DVD.

I have not purchased a $15+ digital game (unless it was from an indie devs website) of at lest 3 years. I don't want to pay full price for a game that I cant play 20years down the line.

Posted on May 30, 2013 7:23:06 AM PDT
GiG says:
I really mix box art. I suppose it's good for the environment if all that plastic and cardboard and paper isn't used up and all the goodies are in pdf form. However, I expected a little more than ten dollars off. In most cases, the game remains sixty dollars for years.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2013 9:01:19 AM PDT
BujinkanRN says:
Yeah, if savings aren't passed along, I'm perfectly happy with waiting for a price drop on Steam. It's ironic that Steam is just about the only digital download service that seems to get it right by having sales and adjusting prices over time. Try any console's digital download store, and you'll see games that are YEARS old still priced as they were when they launched. PS+ is moving in the right direction, but they're still FAR behind Steam.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2013 12:17:23 PM PDT
RonStock says:
Its called "collecting something that may be worth much more later"... you cant sell or trade in digital. You can however sell and trade in physical.. I have games worth over $400...

Posted on Jul 17, 2013 2:36:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2013 2:39:56 PM PDT
Ewookie1 says:
I really want a boxed game as well, and hopefully, they'll come out with one before the release date. That being said, I believe in supporting franchises that produce games I really enjoy, like Thief and Deus Ex, as fully as I can by spending the extra amount when first released. I know, if I wait long enough, I could get a much better price, even on some of the special packaging pre-order games. Still, I did pay full price for Deus Ex and I'll pay the full price for Thief when it comes out. I might even pay an extra $10 to $15 bucks, for a boxed game and special pre-order bonuses like they gave for Deus Ex: HR. (Besides price breaks, that is.) That's how much I want to see these companies produce more games like this!
So, yea. I'll pay the extra, if it means the companies will continue to thrive and produce high caliber, interesting games beyond the simple, run around and shoot everything in sight games, and hope you can kill them all before they kill you. I'm a bit tired of that same old stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2013 2:48:05 PM PDT
Ewookie1 says:
The likely hood of being able to play a game 20 years from now are very slim, unless you manage to hang onto hardware that's old enough to handle those games. There finally coming out with some older games that have been modified to run on newer machines, like "Beneath a Steal Sky". But, you have to buy them again in order to get the specially modified game to play it. Unless your a software engineer that can modify it yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2013 2:51:51 PM PDT
Ewookie1 says:
I agree with both of you. The last three games I purchased at full price were pre-order, collector editions providing a number of extras with the boxed game. And, even though I have a fairly fast cable network connection, it's still faster to install from disk!

Posted on Sep 16, 2013 3:28:53 PM PDT
Mark Lahren says:
I too would rather have a boxed version for my shelf collection. And I'd prefer if Steam were an option rather than a requirement.
I have made my peace with Steam though. I do use it, but only for games I absolutely must play. Like this one. My hope is that GOG will release it in a few years DRM-free, and then I'll happily buy it again so I can have an archival copy. I'll buy a DVD case and print my own box art if I have to.

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 3:52:25 AM PDT
Anysound says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 28, 2013 7:23:35 AM PDT
Jon K says:
I'm seeing alot of boxart for the PC version. It looks like we're getting a full, boxed version. I'm not a collector but my connection here sometimes drops for 2-3 hours when the rain is bad. I shouldn't be at the mercy of the weather telling me when I can and can't play my games just because they have to "call home" to verify each time I play

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2013 1:42:49 AM PDT
Anysound says:
Yeah yeah, we know. I agree too, I live in the 3rd biggest city of France and my connection is lame too.

But now the system is here. If you dont agree, then dont buy.

Better write to S-E and Beth than complain on forums you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 2:07:04 PM PST
Gabriel F. says:
Sure, but Amazon is more diligent with this. I got Skyrim Collector's edition half a year ago for less than the regular game is now on Steam. And that whole badge system is designed to piss people off.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Mar 11, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Thief [Online Game Code]
Thief [Online Game Code] by Square Enix
3.4 out of 5 stars   (57)