Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Spore - PC/Mac forum

Okay, now I'm pissed... at you people

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 147 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2008 10:33:05 AM PDT
E. Dawson says:
Every site I go to Spore gets abysmal ratings because of anti-DRM crusaders who haven't even bought the game and openly admit such spamming 1-star ratings. It makes me want to pull a Jay & Silent Bob. DON'T RATE THE GAME IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT! You control freak crusaders can go jump off a bridge.

And to those who hate the game itself, it's your fault for thing it's some kind of universal digital drug. Spore isn't for Sim City fans or twitch gamers or RTS digigenerals, it's for people who spend hours designing the face of one single Sim, who put great effort into decorating their house in Morrowind even though it gives no in-game benefit , who ditch plates mugs and other crap in their band's room in Exile 3 to make it look like a pigsty. A design and creation sandbox with some admittingly annoying gameplay elements injected in at the last moment.

Seriously though, keep your crusade away from the ratings.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 11:27:22 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
If all the negative posts about the problems with DRM and the repairs to computers bothers you then don't read them. People have a right to say whatever they want about the game as you do. So if you don't like the posts- tough.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 4:31:21 PM PDT
B. Cobb says:
What we have here folks is a diehard fanboi. E. Dawson is ranting at the DRM folks for complaining without playing. On the other hand, anyone who dislikes the game purely on game play, apparently isn't entitled to an opinion either. So unless you are falling all over yourself in praise of this complete flop of a game, please don't comment.

Remember it is critical that we never ever allow unpleasant reality (DRM or crappy game play) interfere with others rights to delude themselves.. We should be more sensitive to the needs of the senseless. /sarcasm

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 4:47:20 PM PDT
H.Le says:
E. Dawson,

You are simply too late !

Spore is already well entrenched in the PC Gaming Hall of Shame with the tarnished title of "Most Pirated Game Ever," along with the notorious honor of one of the most- if not simply the most - over hyped game in history.

As if that is already not bad enough, by purposefully deceiving Customers with its hidden and unethical, not to mention illegal, DRM scheme, not only did EA begged to be slapped with a Class Action Lawsuit, it also sealed Spore's fate.

So, on the contrary - now that the table has turned - it is YOU who is now carrying the CRUSADE to redeem Spore from its tainted reputation. Legitimate Customers are simply standing up to unethical publishers to protect their RIGHTS.

If you truly want to redeem this game, then unite with your fellow Customers to get EA to abandon its unethical and illegal way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2008 5:14:40 PM PDT
BA says:
IMO, I think the most over hyped game title will go to new Duke Nukem game. If it ever gets released that is. As it stands now it's the most over hyped vaporware.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 9:22:17 AM PDT
Chef Sean says:
E. Dawson,
If you want reviews based solely on gameplay there are several sites you can check out (ign, game informer etc.) Amazon is an online store and when you purchase a game here you are not just buying the game experience, you are buying a product. If any aspect of that product is defective or unacceptable, customers will adjust their ratings accordingly. Spore infects computers with the securom virus and is therefore a bad product regardless of gameplay and customers have a right to know. The reviews here are for the entire product not just the game itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 9:30:05 AM PDT
All you fanboy crusaders can go fly a kite. I'm sick of reading glowing reviews to an over-hyped and dumbed-down game trying to appeal to the masses. Spore is the biggest joke to come down EA's pipe in a long time and that's without regard to the DRM. I want to read real reviews from average people, not fan site or gaming site reviews. They aren't trustworthy anymore.

I wasn't looking for drugs, I was looking for a challenging game that was breaking new ground. Instead, Spore turns out to be Mr. Potatohead, tic-tac-toe, candyland, and tiddlywinks all rolled into one with an insane DRM scheme to boot! No thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 10:47:06 AM PDT
R. Corace says:
E. Dawson,

Ah yes, bring on the EA employees/fanboys/DRM-SecuROM supporters who STILL want to try and save this game. All I have to say is good luck with that.

And I couldn't agree more with Brain's comment!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 11:00:26 AM PDT
Elliot Cross says:
The usual whine - don't review something unless you love it. It's always the same; everything is awesome, it's just your fault for not liking it. "You only don't like to eat dog feces because you expect it to be caviar!"

Whatever fanboi.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 11:47:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2008 11:49:10 AM PDT
J. Keener says:
I made that comparison before about mr potato head and now I feel bad...

Mr and Mrs Potato Head have been together a long time entertaining children by simply asking them to use their imaginations.. My deepest apologies to them for comparing this game to something people will be playing with next year let alone 100 years from now...

hopefully the Head family will forgive my hasty, baseless comparison..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2008 2:47:33 PM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
Clearly the game is very bad value. The majority have voted their opinion and the unbiased power of the Amazon.com review system has informed the masses. This is true democracy at work.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2008 3:13:42 PM PDT
B. Farren says:
"...because of anti-DRM crusaders who haven't even bought the game and openly admit such spamming 1-star ratings."

You could say the same for the four and five star reviews; they were made before the game was even released. The DRM isn't the only reason it gets terrible reviews. Some of the reviews on this site have more depth than Spore itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 2:07:47 PM PDT
K. Kurpiel says:
Remember: Feeding the trolls only gets you fat and happy trolls.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 2:15:58 PM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
Looks like I spoke too soon. Amazon is now destroying that democracy and is deleting reviews! Same has happened for Crysis Warhead too.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 6:55:22 PM PDT
D. Shoup says:
I agree - they're rating the game off of one of its accessibility aspects, not the game itself. I was shocked to see that this game has an average of less than 2 stars. The people rating it 1 star are seriously freaking out over nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 8:17:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 17, 2008 8:19:57 PM PDT
Jfed142 says:
How do you rate the game if you cannot access it?
http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/6800.page

These guys won't even test a game for benchmark purposes due to EA's DRM:
http://news.cnet.com/drm-rules-out-crysis-warhead-for-pc-testing/

Maybe you don't care about Windows Explorer crashing due to Securom, others might:
http://pc.qj.net/Oh-brother-SecuROM-in-C-C3-Kane-s-Wrath-patch-v1-01-stalls-on-right-click-EA-releases-fix/pg/49/aid/122344

Maybe you don't mind being told to purchase another copy when you've used up activations, but others most definitely do:
http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=635214&forum=104&sp=0#5844943

Here's a direct link to the screenshot in the above post: http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk81/riftguy/?action=view¤t=error-1.jpg

The DRM is wrapped around the .exe file (see securom.com) - it's therefore part of the product, part of the reason someone might or might not buy. You don't want to get your money's worth when you buy? You don't want to make anything close to an informed choice with your money? Your time? Your personal property? EA's not going to tell you what you need to know up front - you see anything about activation limits in the product description for this very game? No, you don't - you know it from trolling the internet and seeing it complained about or from Amazon reviews.

Whether you or me or anyone likes it or not, and I do not FYI, the DRM used on any game is now a huge factor in making a purchase, and if that DRM is a bad deal for the paying customer, you're gonna hear about it from your fellow Amazonians.

Plan accordingly.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 9:11:48 PM PDT
W.D. Mclain says:
"And to those who hate the game itself, it's your fault for thing it's some kind of universal digital drug. Spore isn't for Sim City fans or twitch gamers or RTS digigenerals, it's for people who spend hours designing the face of one single Sim, who put great effort into decorating their house in Morrowind even though it gives no in-game benefit , who ditch plates mugs and other crap in their band's room in Exile 3 to make it look like a pigsty."

No, that's what spore creature creator was, an awesome design tool to play with. Even you admitted the gameplay was annoying and tacked on. How can you say the game is good if the gameplay is annoying and dumbed down? I don't even care about the DRM in this game because nobody in their right mind would want to install it more than once anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2008 11:01:32 PM PDT
A. Kansak says:
It's fine to incorporate the DRM into the overall score. if you buy it and install it and it disturbs you enough then give it a 1 star review. but no one has a right to review a game unless they do buy it, or, at least, play it enough to see what it is and maybe then incorporate the DRM into a review.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 9:47:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2008 9:48:26 AM PDT
Skoe Veduh says:
A. Kansak, "but no one has a right to review a game unless they do buy it"

And EA does have the right to sell a product without telling the customer just exactly what they are buying and putting on their hard-drives?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 6:13:22 PM PDT
P. Fox says:
E. Dawson: I'm glad you like playing paper dolls. I was expecting a more involved gaming experience that had an element of the paper-doll thing to attract a larger base. The game play is decidedly dull. I can play tradewars or dopewars with a text based system without having to endure DRM (space age) and the rest of the game is pretty much a non issue. I am neither a "twitch gamer," I don't even know what RTS means, and I have no idea what you're referencing with digigeneral, what I do know is that I paid for it and I am NOT the owner of it. I cannot, in practice, actually sell it to someone who would enjoy it more (like you) because of the way they're running the DRM system. I have a glorified rental and I was made a sucker, and I wasn't looking for a digital drug, I have more going on in my life than that will afford me.

And not everyone posting a 1 star didn't buy the game.

I did buy the game and I feel burned. I hope this bankrupts EA completely. Their stupidity and the economy the way they are and I think we may just see EA fade into memory.

I'm sure I'm not the only person with this reasonable sentiment.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2008 11:06:38 PM PDT
DeathGaze says:
Not really, Mr. Tinsley. The game has been out for over 2 months and the game is the 15th best selling video game on Amazon. Your crusade and pitched rhetoric has fallen on deaf ears and the market has spoken.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 7:24:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2008 11:12:15 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
What you don't understand Kirk is that the more people have problems with the game and the more people have problems with their computers the more word will go around about not buying this game. Contrary to your belief, gamers aren't stupid and fewer gamers will be buying these games. Eventually the experience will be so bad that there will be a tremendous reduction in sales. So gloat now about the amount of software that is being sold, but in the future sales will only get worse. If you bothered to read any of the posts which of course mean nothing to you (smart) you would find that EA's reputation is getting worse by the minute. So sit in your ivory tower and dream of all the money being made by the sales of this game, but remember all the money EA failed to make by treating their customers like criminals. Some people and companies have to learn the hard way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 10:03:29 AM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
Kirk P. Sefchik wrote, "Not really, Mr. Tinsley. The game has been out for over 2 months and the game is the 15th best selling video game on Amazon. Your crusade and pitched rhetoric has fallen on deaf ears and the market has spoken."

Kirk, more people downloaded pirate copies than they made in sales. This was because of SecuROM. The sales positions on Amazon are unlikely to honestly reflect sales volumes either. Stores like to position products based on numerous factors, especially to promote sales in products when they are new so that they sell at the highest price possible. I doubt that the exceptional volume of pirate downloads, more than actual sales, was as a result of my rhetoric falling on death ears! Many people have spoken out about SecuROM and they were very successful at raising awareness. Your comment has no basis in fact.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 11:26:10 AM PDT
R. Corace says:
Hey Kirk,

Spore=MOST PIRATED GAME IN HISTORY!!!!

So what does that tell you how "best selling" this game really is? Truthfully, I feel that loads more people illegally downloaded this game then ever cared to purchase it. And so far, I have yet to see one of these Spore lovers show me any proof that this game DID sell very well. 500,000+ illegal downloads, enough said.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2008 7:02:18 PM PDT
R. Widomski says:
I'm glad you weren't arround when this country was founded. We could be speaking with a British accent if you were. I can just picture it now (Boston Tea Party) - "Yes, it's taxation without representation but what about the tea? You haven't even tasted the tea. You anti-British crusader control freaks can go jump off a bridge."
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Spore - PC/Mac forum
Participants:  68
Total posts:  147
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 19, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Spore - PC/Mac
Spore - PC/Mac by Electronic Arts (Mac, Windows Vista / XP)
1.7 out of 5 stars (3,409)