5.0 out of 5 stars User Review of the Okidata 5150 Color Laser Printer
Published on January 3, 2005 by Thomas N. Wheeler

1.0 out of 5 stars Okidata has terrible service response! Like Never.
Have been trying to get Okidata to respond to my c5150 network printer problem for 6 months and have given up!
VISTA will not recognise the printer on the network - period..
Okidata will not update their drivers to make it work with VISTA OS.
Okidata fails to respond to emails. It does work only if you use USB and force it to work. The printer is a great...
Published on December 14, 2007 by John J. Jamack

5.0 out of 5 stars User Review of the Okidata 5150 Color Laser Printer, January 3, 2005
This review is from: Okidata C5150N LED COLOR PRINTER 12PPM ( 62421701 ) (Office Product)
Prior to purchasing the Okidata 5150N color laser printer, my wife and I spent several hours on the web searching for user reviews of color laser printers. Based on only a few user reviews (all positive) of the Okidata 5150N color laser printer, we purchased this printer. We are delighted that we made the purchase. This printer takes the place of Epson inkjet printers that were continually suffering clogged heads if not used for a week or so and for which purchasing the inkjet cartridges was a frequent and expensive necessity.

From the moment we arrived home with our Okidata 5150N the entire experience of unpacking it and installing it has been a pleasure because of the care and attention to detail shown by Okidata in their packing of the printer and in the clear installation instructions which they provide (with separate manuals in six different languages!). We had our color laser unpacked, hooked up, and printing within 20 minutes. Installation of the drivers and other software provided on three CD's by Okidata with the printer was fast and straightforward. The printer was installed on a USB 2.0 hub attached to a P4 running Windows XP Pro SP2. By installing the Okidata drivers for the 5150N on our other two networked computers, we were quickly able to begin using the printer on those computers as well. Note that the 5150N also comes complete with an ethernet print server as well which is rare for a color laser printer in this price range.

We have been extremely pleased with the speed and quality of the prints made on the 5150N. This includes both text, business color graphics including web pages, and color photos printed on Hammermill laser photo paper. While Okidata thoughtfully provides a utility for color matching which is useful in printing photos, I have found that the auto color setting of the 5150N also does an excellent job on photos as well as everything else. In fact, the Okidata 5150N does almost as good a job with photos as my Canon i9900 photo inkjet printer which I believe represents the current state-of-the-art in consumer level inkjet photo printers.

If you are used to printing large jobs of many pages on an inkjet printer, you will be really impressed with the speed of the 5150N. My 5150N is in Power Save mode (using 20 watts only) for most of the time since it is used only occasionally by my wife and I for print jobs, but the first page rolls out in about 20 seconds after clicking on print on our computers and the speed with which the remaining pages appear is a joy to behold. We anticipate that the cost per page of using the 5150N will be significantly less than that of using any inkjet printer.

The physical size of the 5150N is noteworthy and a clear level desk space area is necessary for locating the printer. The construction quality of the printer is first rate, and the printer driver provided by Okidata is straight forward, includes lots of features for enhancing printing, and runs flawlessly.

We have now printed several hundred pages of images, graphics, and text on several different weights of paper without a single paper jam or other problems.

I highly recommend this printer to anyone considering the purchase of a color laser writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy with Printer, October 14, 2004
I did a lot of research on color laser printers and chose the Okidata because it said it did heavy cardstock, which I print on a lot. I have been very pleased w/the printer. Its been 2 months and I just replaced the black cartridge, the colors are still the starter cartridges. I've printed a lot of color flyers and letterhead for my business and it prints great! The only thing I find frustrating is if I change media (which I go from envelopes to greeting cards to letter and legal size paper) I have to manually hit the online button when the printer default media size doesn't match the file media size for it to print from the Manual Feed Tray. My HP laser automatically prints from the MF tray if the types don't match. It may just be operator error, but I have to change the default print settings in the control panel everytime I work with different media so I can print several files and walk away and know I don't have to sit and hit the online button for each file. But I've no complaint other than that, I love the print texture, its much richer than my HP, slightly glossy, which looks more formal on my envelopes and cards. Very little offsetting (I actually haven't noticed any yet), which was also a problem w/my HP. I would definitely recommend this printer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Color Printer For The Price, December 18, 2004
J. Kim (San Francisco Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this printer to replace my older Minolta color laser printer for several reasons, the most important being that the Okidata will do a maximum of 12 color ppm vs. the Minolta's 4 color ppm. You just can't get better than this for the price.

The color photos are pretty good but I have a good high quality color injet photo printer. For everything else I use this one now. Color printing is cheaper than inkjet printers over the long run. It has built-in networking and setup over my wifi was snap!

I'm pretty happy with it but there are just a few things about it that I do not like. They are:

1. You have to set the multi-purpose manually. Most printers will print whatever is on the MP tray first but this one doesn't. Of course, it could be my mistake.

2. The MP tray is kind of tricky to pull out and use. For one thing, there is a large lever that one would assume is the MP tray but is really the release lever for the top of the printer to do things like remove paper jams and which gives you access to all of the toners. You actually have to grip the MP tray on both sides and pull down. Then you have to pull part of it out towards you and then pull out the extension. Before you close it, you have to basically fold back up the MP tray.

3. There is no default black and white print setting. You have to set it on grayscale.

Apart from these little irritations, it's a very good printer and I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Low Price, March 21, 2005
This is an excellent printer.

- It is easy to service and change cartridges

- The toner is reasonably priced

- The print quality is outstanding. It produces a glossy finish on the page, so for presentations etc they look great. Pictures are above average, but not photo quality...that is what Costco at 19cents a print is for :)

- It is quiet (MUCH quieter than the HP2550)

- It prints fast and does not take forever to warm up (about 15-20 seconds)

- It has a straight paper path (no noise from a cycling drum)

- It has a good paper tray that does not cause jams.

- It came with a good amount of toner in the original cartridges. I am not sure if they were full or not, but I got LOTS of prints out of them. So did my kids :)

In general it has proven to be a great printer and I have no regrets. It was on sale, with a rebate, and I had a coupon so I paid a litle over 400 dollars.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oki - Freedom at last from inkjets!, November 13, 2005
Gwynn B. Owens (ruther glen, va United States) - See all my reviews
Having gotten disgusted with the newer inkjet products and the inkjet manufacturers who (1) have made it their mission to sell inkjets that now cannot be calibrated to save black ink and (2)can now only make a profit if they vastly overprice inkjet cartridges, I, a poverty stricken person who wished only to print without worry that the ink would run out or the printer heads would become clogged or a myriad other niggling doubts about the effacy of inkjets in general, decided to buy a COLOR LASER PRINTER.

My friends deplored my decision citing high costs for toner, darkly implying ever more skyrocketing costs, and mostly "Gee, they're SO expensive!"

Ladies and Gents, after carefully considering my options I purchased my OKI C5150n in April of 2005. The size of a small sea turtle (and with much of the same charm!) I solved the size issue with a wheeled platform the glides easily from beneath my desk. (This I only have to do when I change cartridges.) The set up was a breeze! It worked perfectly the first time and ever since!

And it's FAST! After it warms up, whether color or B/W, the pages fly out. I believe the listed speeds (20ppm b/w, 12 ppm color)for copies are much much slower than what is reality. The way it is designed effciently allows for easy access to both media trays. The LCD lighted menu lovingly tells you what the Oki is thinking and also permits you to delve more deeply into its programming.

Now in late June my laptop decided to have cardiac arrest. Undismayed I loaded the software onto my desktop which is Windows 98. The printer and the desktop refused to talk to one another so I called Oki. First of all you quickly get real live people with whom to speak. Secondly they love talking to people like me. Thirdly they live to solve your problems.

The tech with an eager chuckle said no problem and sure enough within 3 minutes the printer and the desktop had kissed and made up. Then he winsomely asked "Is there anything else I can help you with? How's your toner going. Don't replace your toner until the printer days so. It will tell you to order toner but do not replace it until the printer says so!". He was almost sorrowful when I had no real problems for him.

I admit that I will call for tech support whenever I feel it remotely necessary. But the support from Oki is outstanding. They remind me of the old Maytag repairman ad where the repairman sits in avid anticipation for a call.

It sips ink and toner as if itself had to pay for them. In fact I only just replaced my starter Black Toner (starter cartridges are only about a quarter filled!)after an unbelievable 1820 pages printed. And I was able to purchase the 5000 page capacity cartridge on-line for 44.00!!!! WOW

When the Oki advised me to order toner I again called tech support to discuss several options I had researched. They advised how to discover just how much toner I had left and how many pages I had printed (at that time 1600).

I will admit that I generally use the draft and toner saving settings under "job options". From what I have observed there is very little difference in the appearance unless one is doing watermarks.

It took 220 more pages to empty the Black toner. The replacement was easy, very nearly effortless. What really impressed me was Oki provides a pre-paid self-addressed UPS mailing label to return the used cartridge.

I am well pleased no let's say ecstatic with my Oki. No longer do I begrudge myself the printing of a web page. No longer do I worry if the printer is going to function. I am blissful in the knowledge when I push the print button, my Oki will step up and PRINT!

As for my friends, I will save the cost of my Oki most likely in 12-18 months just in not having to buy ink every 3-4 weeks at anywhere from 30-50 bucks a shot for black and god knows what for color.

Want a printer and company that exists to simplify your life?

Buy Oki.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT customer/tech support and EXCELLENT printer!, November 16, 2004
C. Chui "Jenny" (Redwood City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Everything about this printer is VERY good - quality, speed, ease of use.

However, just be careful when you change cartridge -- it can get messy and the printer is very sensitive to cleaniness! I had problems changing cartridge twice that I needed to call tech support. Both times, I received EXCELLENT support service -- detail, no waiting, responsive, professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, good color, and good software support, September 1, 2005
I have an Apple running Mac OS 10.4 which can result in sloppy support from many companies. Okidata, however, has brand new updated drivers that work well with my computer. I have yet to experience any bugs etc. The networking only took a few seconds to set up on OS 10.4 and all the computers in the house can now use it.

The print quality is very good for a printer in this price range. It is true that it will not print a photo as well as an inkjet, although some photos are almost as good. I have noticed that laser printers in general are not good at dealing with light. In other words, shadow and light structure are often impaired. However, the pixilation is pretty good and most pictures do not appear grainy when printed on fine print mode. The ink does have a glossy look to it as I think okidata has wax based toner, not sure about this, which helps pictures look more professional.

I did a lot of research on this printer before buying it and have come to the conclusion that is is the best you can get for the price. The ppm specification seems to be correct. You will not go wrong buying this printer.

However, if you want to get even better photo quality you may want to just get an inkjet.

5.0 out of 5 stars NO Buyer's Remorse--Greatest printer EVER!, July 20, 2006
Jeff "Think people, THINK!" (Desolate Desert Southwest) - See all my reviews
I was so fed up with inkjets...the cartridges that run out so quickly, clog, require that you wait for cleaning cycles, and are just plain slow in general, not to mention how expensive supplies are, and how the stupid prints practically smear when the humidity in the room goes up.

I found the OKI C5150 with a rebate and an amazing shredder thrown in for free, got it all for less than [...].

The thing works flawlessly. It set up with no problems, even including the onboard TCP networking capability. And OKI supports Mac very well. (When OS X Tiger came out I had to wait a little while while OKI rewrote the TCP driver, but in the meanwhile it printed via USB just fine.)

(I wanted to add that the TCP drivers came out and work just great.)

My biggest worry was when I saw that a new set of toner carts would cost as much as the whole printer...well, I'm still using the STARTER carts--which have less than half the toner--more than six months later, and I just got a low toner warning! So, the carts may be expensive to buy...but they LAST FOREVER!!

Also, it's NOT a laser printer--it uses LED "arrays", one for each color. So whereas a laser printer has a spinning mirror to charge the drum which has to make a pass for each color, the OKI has four LED bars--all inline allowing a straight paper-path--and images the print in a single path. Apart from being much more reliable--nothing moves but the paper and drum--since the LED bars are fixed it seems to me (not an expert, just smart...) that the alignment or "registration" between the colors will always stay accurate--a very good thing.

It's fast, quiet, makes beautiful, sharp prints with a glossy sheen--even photos are nice, though maybe not as good as a top inkjet.

Right now I'm puzzling over whether to risk paying less for non-OKI replacement carts. But overall, I have just one thing to say: BUY THIS PRINTER NO MATTER WHAT. It is just everything you want in a printer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong after 5 years, August 9, 2010
I've had this printer since, oh, 2005 or so - about 5 years. I agonized over this purchase, and even paid for the Staples free replacement plan (which I don't think they even offer anymore) in case it crapped out. The printer only gets light use, but it mostly sits in "power save" mode all day and night, month after month. It's the only printer we have in the house, and we print to it (via the network) from 4 different computers. Yes, toner and so on are super expensive, but that's life with printers, I suppose. This printer has been great. I don't use it for photo printing or anything delicate like that, but it's all I could ask of my first color laser printer. (I should note that I DO have a few 4x6" framed pics that I printed - on good paper - from this printer, and they look perfectly fine.) I mean, I've had this thing longer than I've had my car (or my wife, my dog, my back pain) and it shows no signs that it will ever stop working flawlessly (unlike my wife, my dog, and clearly not my back). Those little plastic printers you get for $100 from Dell, HP and so on seem like they're made to die after a year or so. This printer was clearly made to last. I'd almost say that Okidata blew it, since I haven't had to spend any of my hard earned money on a new printer in half a decade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Customer Support Anywhere, October 23, 2009
M. Davis (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had this printer for four or five years now with few problems. It makes glossy color prints and crisp written sheets. There are a loads of options, including a setting that uses no color toner for B&W...a significant cost savings. The lcd technology is superior to laser.

What really impresses me is the 24/7 customer support line. When something is not explained in the manual or I am just not getting it (there is an occasional error message which is not in the manual; I had trouble setting it up as a network printer; etc.), their technicians have patiently walked me through the process to completion. I had a Brother before...the first time a I called, their number, it was disconnected. HP had stopped supporting a 5 year old model I tried calling on.

Supplies are a bargain on the internet. There must still be a lot of these older babies out there printing away.