Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Okuma Trio High Speed Spinning Reel, Blk/Orange, Trio-40S
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Model Number: Trio-40S|Change

on April 9, 2012
Reel is as smooth as glass, gathers line quickly. I filled mine with braid and use it for everything from catfish to giant stripers. The sealed drag system is easy to keep clean and working smoothly. Okuma is best for affordable, yet long lasting and dependable gear.
on June 9, 2013
Just got the reel yesterday. Arrived perfectly on time and in great condition. Spooled it up with 12 lb. mono and went fishing.

First of all, I own other brands of reels, this is only my second Okuma reel. At this price point, you will not find a spinning reel with stronger drag. This thing has BIG drag power on it. Hooked a little redfish yesterday, and had to make sure he was still on the line a few times, it was hilarious. I have the 40s (high speed) and did not think my drag was set that tight, but boy was it. And it still had PLENTY of drag to go. I love the fact that they over-engineered it like that, because you know that it's going to last a very long time catching small to medium fish, and will handle those 20 and 30+ pounders when you need it to. I can imagine one with a larger spool size could land you a 5 or 6 ft shark.. pending you have the right leader and everything.

The smoothness of the retrieve is excellent. It's just as smooth as any other high dollar reel you will pick up, (under 200 dollars of course) and the handle nearly falls under its own weight, which is good enough for me. It doesn't require much force to reel in, and the little "roller" style handle on the high speed models is fun to use. The bail is as strong as anything you will find in the industry; it's built like a tank, nice and thick. Remind me of Penn battle. Come to think of it, if you are considering Penn battle or Fierce, and you aren't getting above a 5000 spool size (55 for Okuma) then I highly recommend the Okuma (I own a Battle 7000 as well). All Penn spinning reels, except for the Torque, are made in China. If you are going to buy a non-American spinning reel anyway, might as well get one with stronger drag, more bearings, and lighter weight, right?

The big question I bet some are asking is, "does it flex?".. being graphite and all. The gears are rock solid inside. The graphite they use is not quite as stiff as some others I've seen, but it is very thick in the right spots, and coupled with the aluminum, I don't believe there will be any durability issues. Once you feel the smoothness and power of the reel, you will see it packs the goods. You may get a little spool flex, but it's really not going to be an issue as they've engineered it to handle a LOT of drag pressure, and you aren't hooked up to a harness so it really doesn't matter. I can imagine "thumbing" the spool may not be as "nice" as an all aluminum spool, it will just give you a little more flex than all aluminum, but with the insane amount of drag you have you will never need to thumb the spool... ever. If you don't have enough drag with this reel are you seriously hooked up to something waaaay too big for your reel. Trust me. People who thumb their reels tend to use cheaper gear anyway and don't worry about drag, making this a non-issue for most people looking to buy in this price-range.

I do lots of brackish and saltwater fishing, lots of times from a kayak, and the lightweight of this spinner was super appealing, along with monster drag pressures. This was purchased as my backup reel, and now I realize it can outperform my main reel (which was a little over twice the price). If you are looking for a fun little reel with freight-train drag, and just getting into higher-end gear, this is a solid choice. Paired with redline and a Daiwa Laguna rod, you have a wicked looking and wicked powerful 100 dollar combo.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2015
Usually I don't write this much reviews. But this typical Okuma made me have to say something, and I hope my review can help the rest of your guys stay away from the marketing gimmicks
1. "Hybrid spool design with graphite arbor and aluminum lip" Total BS! Here's why.The spool is plastic and Okuma puts a aluminum skirt on the reel. Do you really expect aluminum skirt to take on the force? The only thing that alum skirt can do is decoration.
2. Hybrid rotor. Again Aluminum mounted on plastic and only connected with one screw.
3. After hooking on two red fish, the reel started sound a little weird. For every turn I can feel a bit stop at some point. I originally thought something got stuck in the handle gap or somewhere. But after I took the reel body apart, I found a plastic shaft connecting the main gear and the back switch is misshapen. I don't think for a reel that cast $60 buck would break like this.
So my summary: Okuma tried to keep the cost down by using poor quality components and used the marketing terms to boast a mediocre reel
review image
44 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2014
They look great, but did not last very long. I bought 4 of them at the same time and 3 no longer have working gears. We are catching large fish with them but the drags are set appropriately and the gears keep failing!
on May 5, 2013
I have used this reel for quite a few outings and I can't find much wrong with it. I have it strung with braided 50 pound test and tipped with a 25 pound, 12' leader. It trolls nicely from my kayak for salmon and steelhead using 4 to 8 ounce weights and has a strong, steady retrieve for rock fishing in deeper waters. It handles great with heavier lures and, matched with a 7' Ugly Stik HD rod landed a 39" lingcod among several other fish. My rockfish season opens in a couple weeks and I'm sure this reel will get a workout. Check back for updates on how it handles a diet of heavy duty fishing at 200' depths.
on September 1, 2013
I bought two of these Trio-40S reels specifically for fishing Valdez, Alaska silver salmon, and man, did these things perform! Mated to Okuma SST medium rods and spooled with Power Pro 20 lb. braid, these Trios took the fight to the fish over two days of hard fishing. People were shocked at the distance they chucked line....far in excess of anything being used by other folks. The drag performed flawlessly as fish after fish made sizzling yet futile runs. The retrieval speed is exceptional. Lightweight yet strong, they didn't tire my wife and I out like our older Shakespeare rods and reels. While only used for two days, I didn't see any reasons that they won't last for several years. An attractive, functional, quality and well-priced reel that I highly recommend!
on October 14, 2015
I bought two of these after reading the great reviews. I really wanted to like it, since I fish a lot, and I'd prefer to have several rods and reels of a medium quality rather than one or two of really high quality. I do find that the drag engages instantly and works very well. But after catching a few redfish, both of these reels gave out. They still work for the most part, but there is a loud cracking/grinding sound when I catch any fish over 2 pounds. It feels and sounds like the reels are breaking when it happens. I assumed it was that the gears stripped, but I think it's a design flaw. When you take the crank off, rather than a solid connection between the crank and the mechanism, there is a flimsy gear connection that lacks the substance to keep it from slipping. It is impossible to get that gear on there tight enough so that it doesn't slip and make grinding noises when catching decent sized fish. I've only had these a few months, so they are both going back.
on August 26, 2015
THIS REEL IS GARBAGE..SENT MY FIRST ONE BACK TO OKUMA. COST ME 40 BUCKS TO REPLACE ON THERE WARRANTY. THEY ARE WTHE WORST FOR STANDING BEHIND THERE PRODUCTS..MY SECOND ONE JUST BLEW UP WHILE REELING IN A 2LB PROGY...COMPLETE GARBAGE...BUY A PENN OR SHIMANO...STAY AWAY FROM OKUMA...
on May 26, 2015
Two stars because the seller was A+

The product however.... Don't bother.

I ordered two and one of them ARRIVED BROKEN.

Then it was only a matter of 6 months until the second reel broke. Both broke the exact same crank rod inside the reel. These were never used on a catch greater than 5 pounds, and were cleaned after every use.

I also bought the smaller version of this reel, it lasted 3 months.

Okuma what happened?
on February 1, 2015
Just tried it today finally. Didn't catch anything lake is down 13 feet but I have never casted so far. I had fun just playing with the retrieve, very smooth to work the speed. The speed of retrieve allows for more variability and I'm looking forward to casting in a more populated lake. I have this on an M7 graphite 7 foot one piece rod with 20lb braided and it's the best I have ever worked with. Really happy with the purchase.