2,544 Reviews
 (1,559)

3,585 of 3,673 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Clarisonic vs. Olay Pro-X - an excellent value!
Published on January 27, 2011 by K Sprite

1.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs down---it damaged my skin
Published on January 18, 2012 by Lisa33

3,585 of 3,673 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Clarisonic vs. Olay Pro-X - an excellent value!, January 27, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I know you are wondering if a $28 item can compare at all to something that cost nearly ten times the price. The answer is YES! I have the Clarisonic Pro - which is the top of the line for their model, so before you spend the money on both, I'll do a side by side comparison for you. Mind you, I am VERY happy with my Clairsonic. Even knowing that this I am happy I made the purchase for both of them, since they are fairly different. Here's why:

Size: The Olay Pro-X is about half the size of the Clarisonic. This is actually better in many ways. It is easier to hold, lightweight, it fits in my shower caddy easily without dropping, you can travel with it very easily. I think this is my favorite part about the differences. It also makes the brush head much smaller, which has a different effect. Of course, the motor is at least half the size as well, and this effects how this feels. I can't actually say it is better or worse than the Clarisonic, it's just different. It is like getting a Sweedish massage (Olay) as opposed to a deep tissue massage (Clarisonic).

Cleansing Products: The Olay cleansing formula has tiny granules and is exfoliating. The Clarisonic cleansers are gels and the specifically say that you cannot use exfoliating cleansers with granules on theirs - most likely because the motor is stronger and it will scratch your skin. I really liked the way my skin felt after using the Olay product. I felt sparkling clean and my skin was shining.

Versatility: This is where I love my Clarisonic more. Since I bought the pro, I can use it on my body, and have different size brush heads and change the timing. Is it worth 10x more the price? Not necessarily. The Olay Pro-X has two speeds, you don't really need more than that. But I do love having the option of using the full body brush on the Clarisonic. Also, there is slightly more control with the Clarisonic since it is sturdier, the ProX does slide a bit, though not excessively so. You can still maintain some control with the Por-X though not as much.

Charging: The Pro-X uses two double-A batteries that it comes with. It was a bear to take the battery case off, but once I did it was fine, and it doesn't need recharging that often. I use the best batteries in the world, eneloopSanyo Eneloop 8 Pack AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteriesand I'm good to go for several weeks. The Clarisonic has a charging holder that you plug into the wall, you don't need to change the batteries, but you do need to find a place in your home to park it for an hour or so every week. I prefer having the double A rechargeable option of the Olay. It also makes it so much easier to travel with.

Please note: It is not that easy to figure out how to install the batteries, and there are no instructions. You might not want to pull open the wrong part of your product for fear of breaking it. I had to call the company to figure it out, and I've had a couple of people email me to ask me, so here goes: Hold the product with your right hand by the top/sides of the handle with the brush head facing down. Keep holding firmly with your right hand, while with your left you pull the handle away from you. The top part of the handle comes off to load the batteries.

The bottom line: I think the Olay Pro-X is a steal. If you are on the fence about which to buy this or the Clarisonic, and you only need it for your face and not your body, you will probably be better off saving your money and going with this! Personally, I am glad I have both. This is definitely worth the investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Same results, at a lower cost, December 25, 2011
Lisa M (Clearwater, Fl) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
When it comes to facial brushes, you can spend up to $100 and over, or you can spend under $30-either way, as an esthetician, I can tell you-aside from price, they are really all the same. Sure there are a few things you will get with a more expensive brand, but if you are looking for an inexpensive facial cleansing brush that does a great job-look no further. The Olay Professional Pro-X is just as good-if not better-than the high priced and highly recommended Clarisonic. Now, The Clarisonic will have a few extras, such as more speeds and additional attachments for the body, but if all you need is a high-quality brush for the face, why spend all the extra cash?
The Olay Pro-X is a really lightweight, small brush, making it easy to handle. It also makes it easy to take with you when you travel. It has a super-soft brush head, that works very well at either of the two speeds and replacement heads are sold separately and under $10 for 2. It only requires 2 AA batteries, which are included with it. No charger needed. It is water resistant, so it can be used in the shower. It also comes with a sample size of the Olay Pro-X exfoliating Cleanser, which is nice, but I have own my favorite products, and you can use it with any. I just love the way my face feels after using this. You know how your teeth feel after using a electric toothbrush? That really,really clean feeling? Well, that is similar to how my face feels. Very "polished" Very clean. And unlike with my last facial brush, I don't have to clean the whole countertop after I use it-no messy "spraying" of cleanser everywhere. Really the only downside I find to this brush is that it would be nice to have a cover or case to keep the brush head protected, but since it is so small, I can use a makeup case. Overall, a great brush for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, January 3, 2011
I was looking for something like this but I didn't want to spend $200 on the other brand when I wasn't sure it would work. For $30 I can take a bit of a chance. I have been using this brush since Christmas Eve and I am amazed at how much better my skin looks. At 56, zits and clogged pores that just dodn't want to go away are pretty much on the mend. Imbedded black heads have disappeared. I wouldn't use this more than once a day because it tends to dry out my skin. Hydrate after you use this. In short, I'm really glad I bought this cleaning system. A little instruction about how often to change the brush head would be nice, but I can live without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best skincare product I've ever bought!, June 14, 2012
I have always seemed to be very cystic acne prone with extremely oily skin. I decided to buy this to try to see if I could clear my face up a little. With all of the great reviews and the great price I figured it was worth a try. However, I DO NOT use the exfoliating cleanser as I have extremely sensitive skin. I used my every day acne cleanser, Boscia clear complexion cleanser, which i would recommend to anyone with sensitive acne prone skin. ive had this cleansing system for about 2-3 months now and absolutely love it. The first time i used it i thought the bristles were a little too soft to do anything at all, but after a few uses it seemed to stiffen up a little bit and i could really tell my face was 100x cleaner and softer. I have used just about EVERY product on the market including a combination of 2-3 antibiotics a day and a prescription strength topical gel which did work, but bleached EVERYTHING and was really expensive. This is the only thing that has actually helped me achieve that beautiful flawless skin I've dreamed of all my life. I would recommend this to anyone as long as you can take the 10-15 minutes to actually use it. I absolutely swear by this thing now. Between the brush, replacements, and my cleanser, toner, and benzoyl peroxide over the counter medicine, I'm STILL not paying as much as I did for just one month of the prescriptions.

UPDATE: December 2nd,

I know this will sound cheesy, but this little thing has absolutely changed my life. Now that I've had this for awhile, I've learned the exact formula for my skin. At first I was using it every night along with a 10% benzoyl peroxide cream, spot treatment, and then moisturizer. For the first time in my life my skin was extremely dry and flaking everywhere. I ended up having to use an extreme aveeno moisturizer just to get my face back to normal. I am now using it every other night, and still use a lower dose of benzoyl peroxide but only on the nights I don't use the brush, just so I know I won't have any acne pop ups. I really wish I had taken before pictures. I had one side of my face that was really scarred and had dark marks everywhere from acne. It's almost completely gone with no use of scar reduction formula, just the brush. My skin is clear, and my pores are so much unnoticeable. Also, I've found that if you have a place that's more acne/blackhead prone, if you hold it still in that spot, it really gets down in the pores and cleans all of that out. This brush is 100% worth the results and then some. I'm finally not embarrassed to go out of the house with makeup caked on so people don't notice the imperfections as much. I have no imperfections anymore. And it's all thanks to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - I use their cleanser, but a different cream, July 18, 2013
I was giving a spa treatment as a gift, and I had a professional use a "top of the line" cleanser on my face. My face was so clear, bright and soft after, I wanted to be able to do this at home. I looked at models similar to what the spa used, but $200? No way I can afford that. Then I found this system, and for something under $25, this does a job almost equal to the treatment in the spa. As I get a little more proficient at working it, I think my results will be better, just as good as my spa treatment (although the spa has wonderful tea, and the bathrobes are to die for!) For the price, you can't beat it. You won't find anything better at a better price, and yes, you will get results like you would get at a fancy spa.

One note - don't "grind" it into your face. It doesn't make it work better, just go easily over your face and you will have the best results. It's meant to exfoliate the top layer(s) of your skin, so pressing down on it as you go over your face will not do any more for your skin. It will also leave your skin a little dry, so make sure you apply a good moisturizer. I use the Olay cleanser, but I use a different cream Bel Essence Anti Aging Treatment - Intensive All Natural Anti-Wrinkle, Facial Lift Skin Care Formula - 1.5oz, because it's all natural and the effect on my skin is incredible. My skin is softer, smoother, and the fine lines around my eyes and lips are gone. This pro really cleans my skin and exfoliates it really well too. Then when I add the cream, my face just glows. I feel like I have taken 10 years of living off my face after using it, and then with the Bel Essence, my skin is even softer, smoother and firmer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs down---it damaged my skin, January 18, 2012
Lisa33 (Bucks County, PA) - See all my reviews
This purchase was a real disappointment. Like many reviewers, I was considering a Clarisonic, and upon reading the reviews here, I figured the Olay Pro-X was a no-lose purchase for me. I figured I could buy this for starters and then buy the Clarisonic down the road. Since this is smaller, I thought the Olay Pro-X would still be useful to me for travel purposes. Great plan, right?

Wrong. I tried the Pro-X with the included cleansing product, following the directions. I was pretty gentle since my skin can be somewhat sensitive at times. I probably used it for a total of about 40 seconds on my entire face. My skin was irritated and flushed afterwards. By morning, the skin on my chin was cracked and peeling. I looked rather flushed the entire day. I chalked it up to the included cleanser being too harsh for me. So, I waited a couple of days and tried the Pro-X again, with my own gentle facial cleanser. Again, the product proved to be too harsh for my face. Boo hoo! I really wanted to love this product. Now, I'm not even sure I should try the Clarisonic since I'm afraid I'll be throwing good money after bad. Perhaps if I had just sprung for the Clarisonic first, I'd be a happy camper right now! I'll be sure to update my review if I decide to take the plunge with a Clarisonic. Right now, I'm too gun shy.

5.0 out of 5 stars After Faithfully Using The Olay Cleansing System For Two Weeks, My Complexion Has Definitely Improved, February 11, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am a forty-seven-year-old male who has always had raunchy, combination skin, i.e., too oily on my forehead and too dry around my nose, mouth and cheekbones. My cleansing regiment has always consisted of briefly washing my face with a light amount of Neutrogena Original Formula Facial Cleansing Bar and dabbing Clearasil Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream on extremely oily surfaces which tend to break out with pimples and blackheads. I never use a washcloth, which tends to damage my skin, drying it out and making it look worse than it actually is. When I take a bath or shower, I use the Olay Body Ultra Moisture Facial and Bath Bar. It moisturizes and hydrates my skin (and doesn`t leave a filmy ring around my bathtub). With this regiment, I manage to keep my complexion looking fairly decent.

I was skeptical when first introduced to the Olay Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System. How could something so dainty and easy to use have a significant effect on my skin? Men naturally exfoliate their skin when they shave; however, unless they are extremely hairy, men only shave once in the morning and they never shave their foreheads, noses and lips. (We do pluck a lot of hair out of our nostrils.) I was extremely curious to learn if the Olay Cleansing System would improve my complexion.

The Olay Cleansing System (see my posted photographs) came with one light-weight, easy-to-grip handle; one brush head; a tiny sample tube of exfoliating renewal cleanser (0.68 ounces); and two AA batteries. Instructions for installing the brush head and the AA batteries are on the side of the box. The brush head is easy to install by simply pressing it on; it automatically locks in place. The batteries, however, were difficult; they tried my patience. The plastic storage compartment for the batteries is tricky to remove because it is watertight. After all, the Olay Cleansing System can be used in the shower.

I have continued my normal cleansing regiment with the Neutrogena bar and the Clearasil cream. In addition to this, I now use the Olay Cleansing System. In the mornings, I use it before I shave or, if I forget, immediately after I shave. I haven't noticed a difference when I use it. The exfoliating renewal cleanser doesn't dry out my skin. I also wash my face and use the Olay Cleansing System before going to bed. Sometimes, after I've come home from work, and I want to feel clean and refreshed before going to a social engagement, I will wash my face and use the Olay Cleansing System.

The instructions for using the Olay Cleansing System are located on the back of the box. There is the on/off button and the two-speed button. I always use the fastest speed because it gives me a comfortable massage. However, I resist temptation and never massage my face for more than sixty seconds as explained in the instructions. However, I use the Olay Cleansing System on my neck, chest and shoulders - wherever there is exposed skin that someone might see.

I never use the Olay Cleansing System in the shower for fear that the rotating brush might strike one of my eyes or get tangled in my hair. (I am not very coordinated and am prone to accidents.) It is much easier for me to look at myself in the mirror when I use it. However, it is nice to know that the handle with the enclosed power source is waterproof; it alleviates the fear of becoming electrocuted.

Because its bristles are soft, I can use the brush on delicate facial features such as my nose and lips. (Haven't you ever had a pimple on your lip? They can be painful.) It is recommended that the brush be replaced after three months. If used sparingly, the trial-size sample of exfoliating renewal cleanser should last a month. At the end of this time, the consumer should know if this product is right for him/her. According to the box, Olay promises to refund the customer's money if he/she isn't satisfied.

Printed instructions are not included in the box. However, if the consumer doesn't wish to keep the box, he/she can do like me and photograph its various sides, using a digital camera, and download the photographs to his/her PC's hard drive or to a portable hard drive. The box can also be taken apart, flattened and the sides scanned into a PC.

After faithful, continuous usage of this product for over two weeks, I was excited to notice a significant difference in my complexion. It had greatly improved. My skin actually felt softer and smoother. It was more toned and consistent, meaning that I had one type of complexion over my entire face in lieu of two or three types. Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that exfoliation is essential for clean, healthy skin.

If you have skin that is difficult to manage, like I do, then I highly recommend trying the Olay Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System. Clean, healthy skin is priceless. Having clean, healthy skin makes you feel more confident about yourself even if no one else notices the difference. In my opinion, buying a new cleansing system, in hopes that it may improve the quality of your skin, is money well spent. As for me, I plan on buying more of the Olay Pro-X Exfoliating Renewal Cleanser. Because it is so lightweight and compact, I plan on taking the entire Olay Cleansing System with me whenever I visit my parents for the holidays.

Joseph B. Hoyos

5.0 out of 5 stars My skin has never been better, May 30, 2013
This product works well for me. I have combination/oily skin, with a mixed race background, and am 30 years old. I have been breaking out my whole life and have tried every single thing on the planet to balance my facial skin and make my pores smaller, from just plain water or a rag with soap all the way to an acne system. I just think that our skin is advancing with our diversity and so should the way we wash and handle it.

I have been using this Olay brush for two months now, once a day before bed with an acne wash, and I can say that my skin has not felt this good since before puberty hit. I still break out a little, but now the acne goes away so quickly and without too many extra harsh chemicals used afterwards. My pores are visibly smaller. My mother, a natural redhead with bright green eyes, was sitting next to me and told me how beautiful the pores on the side of my face looked, and immediately demanded I buy her a brush. She now uses it and is also pleased with how soft her 54 year old skin feels. I recommended this brush to my cousin who has similar genetic makeup as I, recently. She came by last week and said she doesn't know how she lived this long without it (so dramatic at age 20).

I feel like some of the negative reviews I have read were by people who used the brush once or twice and seeing no difference stopped using it and threw it away with a scathing review here. It urged me to add my success story to the growing list. You have to use the brush everyday, for a period of time to really see a difference. It doesn't magically make your skin over in one or two uses, but it does cleanse deeper than your fingers. It also matters what you do after you cleanse. Do you use toner to remove excess cleanser? Do you use appropriate moisturizers and creams for your skin type?

I recommend this brush for any type of woman, of any age. Or anyone with problem skin for that matter.
Thank you for your time, if you've read this far! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO ME, June 23, 2011
I am only 12 years old but I have had serious acne for a long time. I had tried just about every acne treatment wash there is. None of them had worked until I used it with this brush. I noticed a difference after one try. My skin was super soft and the next day my acne was noticeably better. It really opened my pores allowing my acne cream to really work. This is the best item I've ever spent my allowance on. Super fast shipping too!!! THANK YOU!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WORKS WELL AND GREAT PRICE, January 18, 2011
I've been lusting for the Clarisonic for awhile now but $150 was way out of my budget for skincare. I am a college student in my really early 20's and I bought the olay cleansing tool for several reasons: 1. I wanted to begin my preventative care early on, 2. I wanted to rid my T-zone of blackheads and 3. it's really affordable.

My opinion:
I've used the machine for 3 days now and I feel like it has really made a difference in the texture and cleanliness of my skin. My skin immediately felt smoother and free of dead cell debris and my moisturizer absorbed a lot faster and better upon application. In buying Olay's machine, I was really really hoping that it would be the solution to my blackhead conundrum!! I've been plagued with blackheads for as long as I can remember and it's just been a chronic and STRESSFUL concern of mine. In the past, I tried many products that claimed to dissolve blackheads but nothing worked. After using Olay's cleansing system, I could tell that some of my blackheads have already disappeared after only 3 days of use. Furthermore, I could also see that much of the gunk that has been clogged deep in my pores of are also surfacing. I've been having a much easier time extracting my blackheads with a blackhead extractor thanks to Olay's cleansing system.

Overall I would really recommend this product to anyone. Now it's not a magic bullet. I didn't wake up the next day having amazing skin but the subtle improvements in the texture of my skin was enough for me to say that buying this product was well worth it! Many of us often overlook the simple step of washing our face, when little do we know it can make all the difference. There is no way our own hands are capable of achieving what a machine can do. For $30 bucks, Olay cleansing system is a great investment.

Olay Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System