5.0 out of 5 stars I was impressed
I don't put a lot of faith in beauty products (if only there was a facelift in a jar!) but I've been hoping for an effective way to remove facial hair that would not require paying for laser treatments. I tried this product on my upper lip about two weeks ago and was delighted with the results.

You begin by applying a protective balm to the area to be treated...
Published on August 25, 2011 by skeptic478

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Totally Disappointed
Published on November 24, 2011 by Christine Pena

5.0 out of 5 stars I was impressed, August 25, 2011
This review is from: Olay Smooth Finish Facial Hair Removal Duo (Fine to Medium)1 Kit (Misc.)

You begin by applying a protective balm to the area to be treated and massaging it in for 20 seconds. Honestly, the balm feels like Vaseline. You apply a thick layer of the hair remover over that. The instructions said to leave it on for 6 to 8 minutes, or no more than 10 minutes for coarser hair. I left it on the full 10 minutes just to see how it would affect my skin. About 9 minutes in, I started to feel a slight burning sensation. When I wiped it off with a cotton puff, presto -- the hair was gone. My skin was completely smooth. It continued to tingle when touched for about 20 minutes after that but there was no redness or irritation. I put on makeup and went to work about 30 minutes after completing the hair removal process.

Two weeks after using this product, the hair is just barely starting to grow back, so I don't know yet how often I'll need to use it. Results may not be this good for everyone, but, for me, the Olay hair remover absolutely worked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works best on fine to medium thickness hair, August 8, 2011
I have used this twice... yes, it is best to put the protective cream on in a thin layer, slighlty beyond the area you are planning to defoliate. It is important to put the defoliant on in two layers to obtain a sufficiently thick cover, no gaps.

I was concerned that my skin would be irritated. There wasn't any reddening where I used both products but in one small place where I exceeded the protection from the cream, I had a small reddened area that took two days to fully clear & responded well to otc steroid cream.

Did it remove hair? You bet, but not coarse hair, which I didn't expect it to do but tried it there anyway.

My treated skin feels smoother than it has since childhood! Will continue to use this product; it is easier and more effective than NAIR and a few others that I have tried.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 8:31:39 AM PDT
Hi finyin!

Thank you for your detailed review here on Amazon. I'm glad it's working for you! I know it's helpful for people to see how it's working for others. If you ever have any questions about the product please call us at 1-800-285-5170. ^ Leah

5.0 out of 5 stars There goes my career as the bearded lady. *sniff*, September 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First of all, the positives:
Low odor -has a slight chemical odor like other depilatories but this isn't as strong which is good as you may be using it just under your nose)
Application- easy and you don't have to get it on your hands
Consistency- the balm and the cream feel luxurious when apply them
Effectiveness- took off hair on all areas I applied it to (around mouth, below nose, jawline
Gentleness- my skin was not red or irritated or dried out after using this

I am giving this 5 stars because the only real negative I could find was the fault of my own body and RX medication.

The hair removal only lasted a couple of days for me, around the same as shaving or using a motorized epilator.

BUT I am under the impression that the smooth results should last longer than that.
I have been on oral steroids for over a year to help treat Rheumatoid Arthritis. I am tapering down now, but in general I find the biggest side effect of the medication is that I have noticeable facial hair (fine and blond but abundant) particularly around my mouth and on my jawline. My hair re-growth is incredibly rapid, which may be why Olay Smooth Finish didn't keep my hair at bay for a full 3 days before having noticeable regrowth. The hair removal duo were so gentle and easy to use that I would consider just applying it more frequently, but the box says that you should do a patch test 48 hours prior to using it EVERY TIME you use it. That means I'd be applying the stuff constantly, and I am concerned about over-sensitizing myself to the ingredients with that much usage.

I cannot wait to revisit this product once I am off the prednisone. I'll update at that time.

5.0 out of 5 stars This s*** is awesome!, April 25, 2013
von (Illinois) - See all my reviews
This past year, I noticed that my cheeks and upper lip were getting HAIRY!! Omfg, this is not acceptable. Thankfully, I discovered the Olay hair removal kit, and it HAS CHANGED MY LIFE. My cheeks are silky smooth, as is my delicate upper lip area. Before Olay? I was GRIZZLY. After Olay? Smooth as a baby's bottom. FOR 6 WEEKS! Okay, I've been drinking a bit, BUT I'm wearing the Olay hair removal system AS I TYPE. So you can even remove your facial hair WHILE SLIGHTLY INTOXICATED. It's that good. Seriously, what are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC For Those With Sensitive Skin!, August 26, 2011
E. M. Griffith "auntleesie" (Central Coast of California) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Women don't discuss facial hair, even though many of us 40 and above have it. This is one of those unexpected quirks of aging, and it can be a serious problem for women with sensitive skin--like mine. Having ripped off part of my upper lip once with waxing, and broken out in numerous rashes from hair removal creams, or simply looking comical with a white moustache from bleaching, I'd finally resorted to tweezers. Ouch!

Thankfully, Olay's Smooth Finish Facial Hair Remover Duo has a guarding balm for the skin as a first step. Meaning the hair removal cream doesn't irritate sensitive skin, you won't have a rash on your upper lip (or chin), and you'll have a smooth, feminine appearance without pain! How terrific is that? It's worth every penny. There's enough product in the kit to last several months. Definately try this product if you have sensitive skin and want to keep your unwanted facial hair a secret.

Sorry guys... some of us do have issues we'd rather no one know about, and there's only so much pain a gal is willing to go through to look her best. You try waxing or plucking your upper lip and perhaps you'll understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Easy, and Effective (Smooth and No Pain), August 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was surprised at how well the Olay Smooth Finish Facial Hair Removal Duo worked, and how easy it was. I had imagined it to be more complicated than I wanted to bother with, but it wasn't.

There are good instructions and even excellent pictures to demonstrate how to use it. I'm notoriously bad at following instructions, and this was no exception.

The first step is to use what I think looks a lot like lip balm to coat the skin you are going to treat, going just a little further for good measure.

Then you are supposed to massage it in for 20 seconds, with a circular motion, the step I got in a hurry and ignored or forgot. I will do it correctly next time, but it worked fine anyway for me today, not giving it 20 seconds. I strongly recommend following the instructions. It's just smart. [I'm talking to myself here.]

The instructions are easy to follow. I like the fact that don't just tell you HOW, but also tell you WHY. Excellent idea! I wish more products would do that.

I gave it 8 minutes as per instructions and both fine and coarse hair disappeared, leaving behind smooth skin and no redness, tenderness or any other kind of problems. Not perfect, because none of them are, but it seems to be both effective and gentle. At least it works better than the product I had been using.

I will definitely use it again! In fact, I just ordered more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive Skin, October 10, 2012
Although I have sensitive skin, I found this product worked very well without any redness or sensitivity. It removed the coarse hairs on my upper lip and chin that I have had to pluck or shave before now. I am impressed that a product actually does what it says it will! Thank you, Olay! I am recommending this to all my friends, bringing mustaches and chin hairs out of the closet!

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally Disappointed, November 24, 2011
It's been two weeks now and my skin if finally back to normal. I followed the directions and did the skin test. So far so good. So then i proceeded on. I only used it in on a the typical target spots (upper lip and sides of face). For some reason an allergic reaction went haywire all over my face. The first day my cheeks were a little red. Keep in mind I did not apply this product to my cheeks. The next day, my face began to swell forcing my bottom eyelids to close my eyes. The third day, my entire face blistered. My face was so horrendous that I couldn't go outside without scaring little kids. Fortunately my friend is in the medical field. He brought over day and night time allergy meds. A week of OTC allergy pills and my inflamed, swollen, blistery face subsided. BUT this left me with a very leathery face. Thankfully, I am a BeautiControl consultant. A couple days of a mild chem peel and microderm abrasion removed the layer of leathery dead skin. I'm back to normal. This Oil of Olay Hair Removal product is in the trash!

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 7:13:14 AM PST
Hi Christine- I'm so sorry to hear about what you've gone through. We want to help so please call us at 1-877-340-8857 M-F 9am - 6pm as we stand behind our products 100% and we'd be happy to replace it for you.
Thank you! ^ Claudia @ Olay

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, August 20, 2011
Dizzy "Dolly" (Wells, ME United States) - See all my reviews
I was looking forward to another Olay product to do what it's supposed to do, BUT, as one of the other reviews stated, it did not remove my "coarse" chin hair, and removed about 50 percent of my lip hair...For the price of this product, I feel as if the other OTC products for facial hair or sensitive skin work just as well and for a third of the price..I do see the price has already dropped from the $29.99 I paid to $22.99..I will not purchase this again unless the price drops a bit more. Why would I pay this much for something that does not remove those stubborn hairs? Sorry, but thank-you for trying.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 9:29:22 AM PDT
Hi Dizzy. I recently found out that Olay is working on hair removal solutions for women with coarse hair! They should be available in the near future, so keep an eye out : )

Also, call the number on the packaging, 1-877-340-8857, I'm sure they'd love to replace your product since you feel this one didn't work for you.

Leah

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for coarse hair, September 19, 2011
I tried this product hoping it would help me with my hirsutism - male pattern hair growth - that is extremely embarrassing to deal with. I have to shave like a man and it's humiliating and requires special accommodation when I travel (i.e. making sure I have a private bath area where I can do this without everyone else knowing about it). Unfortunately, this product is really geared towards your everyday, average woman's peach fuzz, not coarser hair due to hormone issues (I have PCOS which is commonly associated with hirsutism). I've tried everything and hoped this would be different, but it's not. So back to shaving with an electric razor I go.

To Olay - there are millions of women who live with hirsutism and need some kind of treatment other than a prescription product like Vaniqa. Introduce something that can help us and you will forever gain my loyalty. I am tired of living with this embarrassing problem.

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 11:47:00 AM PDT
Hi "The Brooks Stead 'L. Brooks'"! Thanks for the suggestion in making a different product geared for those who deal with hirsutism - I'm certainly sharing this with the rest of our team.

In the meantime, feel free to call us at 1-877-340-8857 M-F 9am-6pm Est time so we can replace your product. Thanks! ^ Leah @ Olay

Rate and Discover Movies