Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

There are many books out there that celebrate the love of a parent or a grandparent for a child, but there are few that celebrate the joy of a child who truly cares for his parent. This theme of family members caring for each other where the child gets to take an active role sets this beautiful book apart from the rest. The story is simple. Old Bear tells his cub to do things like eat his porridge and tie his scarf. Little Cub doesn't want to and argues with Old Bear before finally giving in. When Old Bear starts to feel ill, the roles are reversed and little cub gets to take care of Old Bear and help him feel better. All of this is couched in a repeating refrain of "Old Bear loved his Little Cub with all his heart. Little Cub loved Old Bear with all his heart." It's all very straightforward and the message of love and caring is powerful.

The illustrations are gorgeous. Old Bear is perfectly portrayed; he looks sort of like Wilford Brimley in a delightfully bearish sort of way. Little Cub is shown with just the right touch of impish charm. I loved that their cheeks are always flushed from the cold. The two make an adorable pair! Their antics are played out on a stark white background of winter. The picture of their cottage in the woods with all of its icicles and snow piled around evokes the perfect winter scene. Perhaps my favorite scene is the end when Old Bear and Little Cub curl up in bed with a book and a pot of hot tea. So simple and yet such a perfect end to a tale best shared between a parent and child. I can't imagine a better book to give your little cub this Christmas.
0Comment44 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2010
I'm always leery of follow-on books for children. They often feel like the author & publisher are just trying to milk the franchise (Skippy John Jones comes to mind - the first was GREAT, the subsequent titles were 'meh' at best).

Not so with this book.

Cute story of Old bear and little bear who love each other deeply, and simultaneously battle over autonomy. Little bear does not want to finish his porridge, but old bear gives him a good long stare until little bear complies.

I was kicked by my daughter (she immediately broke down in tears and apologized before I even had time to react) this morning because she did not want to get ready for school and put on the clothes that I pulled out for her. So, this book is a timely title for our house, where emerging independence and obedience are in conflict.

A real keeper.
on December 11, 2010
When looking for books for my grandchildren I choose old fashioned content and illustrations. I bought this book for a grandaughter whose father reads to her every night. The illustrations are charming and are full of love and interest for young listeners. I think the love of reading begins with the cosyness of bedtime reading on the lap of a beloved parent. this is a wonderful book.
on December 14, 2010
This book is so simple, yet so beautiful. Not sure what I liked best - the story itself or the illustrations.
on January 21, 2011
For synopsis see above. I am a big fan of Olivier Dunrea's Gossie, Gertie, Peedie and Ollie books. They are warm and friendly and good for reading aloud or for emergent readers. I'm always excited to see a new Dunrea book and Old Bear and His Cub is a wonderful one. The love between Old Bear and Cub shines throughout the story and honestly almost drew a tear to my eye. Perfect for sharing or reading alone. Perfect as a gift for a new parent or grandparent this is a gorgeous book with a great story. Recommended for all ages.
I had to cajole my daughter (age 4) into reading this book with me. It's really not her type since it's not about monsters and it doesn't have bright, bold, Pixar-esque pictures. But I had a sense if I could get her attention, she'd end up liking it. I was right.

Old Bear and Little Cub love each other with all their hearts. Old Bear takes care of Little Cub, but Little Cub doesn't always appreciate Old Bear's solicitude. But a good hard stare does the trick. The two bears enjoy a winter's day together, and then Old Bear ends up with a cold. Now it's Little Cub's turn to take care of Old Bear which, naturally, Old Bear doesn't always take kindly too. But a good hard stare does the trick. Old Bear and Little Cub end up snuggled in bed and both feel better.

"Old Bear loved his Little Cub with all his heart. Little Cub loved Old Bear with all his heart".

This book is sweet and touching in the love that the two bears share for each other, as well as the stubbornness they both show when they have to do something for their own good. It's a sentiment that every parent and child can understand. At the beginning of the book when Old Bear gives Little Cub a good hard stare, my daughter was giving me rather dirty looks, but at the end when it's Little Cub giving Old Bear a good long stare, my daughter's looks turned smugly triumphant. A good reminder that sometimes we parents need to practice what we preach and take our own medicine.
on August 11, 2012
I got this book at the library and my 3 1/2 yr old grandson loves it. I brought it to his house when I was babysitting and he wanted me to read it to him every night. It made him laugh out loud when both little cub and old bear are stubborn and say "No, I won't", but then end up doing what they should do anyway. I'm going to buy this book so I can read it to my grandkids when they visit.
on January 18, 2011
Open this picture book and travel along with the winsome adventures of Old Bear and Little Cub. Despite some disagreements along the way, Old Bear and Little Cub love each other with all their hearts. They look out for each other and take care of each other, finally snuggling together "all through the night." Young children ages 2-5 will love this story of a father bear and his bear cub.
on April 12, 2013
Good story. My 22 month old enjoys it and I enjoy reading it to her. The author has another series of books and they are great too. Just goes to show the author has a knack for writing great stories for children.
on March 29, 2011
This was a Christmas gift to a friend who is enjoying being a Grandparent of a three year old while he is enjoying age 75. They loved it and it is well used.