4.0 out of 5 stars very unique collectible / great tracks
Published on June 29, 2011 by dalenixon

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically an overpriced bootleg bonanza
I've been a diehard Alice Cooper fan for decades and, while this would've been a nice box at a third of its original cost, I can honestly say it's not worth bothering with for the bloated $250-$300+ price.

Published on September 5, 2011 by Vinnie Rattolle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Basically an overpriced bootleg bonanza, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Old School: 1964-1974 (Box Set) (4 CD, DVD, vinyl, 7in, 64 pg. book) (Audio CD)

Yes, there's a great presentation and a vast array of nice (though ultimately pointless) extras, but the main attraction here is the music. And frankly, the largest bulk of the music is bootleg quality.

The CDs begin with "No Price Tag," one of the Spiders singles omitted from the "Life and Crimes" boxed set, which is clearly duped from a badly beat-up vinyl copy of the rare single. There's a glimmer of hope, as the immediately following "Pretties for You" demos don't sound bad... but quality-wise it's almost completely downhill from there. The rest of the first two albums are a hodgepodge assortment of demos, live tracks, and radio spots for each album. The radio spots are interesting but seem to have been recorded off-air onto cassette and feature generic announcers and brief medleys of album cuts. The bulk of the live tracks are of such poor, muffled quality that they verge on unlistenable. Many of the demos (which seem more like rehearsals), have been circulating in slightly inferior sound quality for eons (most notably the "Killer" sessions), but this ain't a Beatles Anthology filled with golden alternates -- these are really rough, early versions of the songs padded with tons of dead air and mostly-indistinct studio chatter.

The third disc is a lengthy vintage interview with Alice and Neal Smith. Not especially insightful, and not something one's going to listen to more than once or twice.

The final disc, included both on CD and vinyl (the latter was doubtlessly included solely to drive up the cost of the set) is a live "Killer" show. Decent quality, decent show, but nothing one can't live without.

If this had been released at a reasonable price, I would fully endorse it. But let's face it, one could easily buy EVERY one of Cooper's studio albums on CD for just a fraction of the cost of this bootleg-ish set.

4.0 out of 5 stars very unique collectible / great tracks, June 29, 2011
Just received my box set and I have to say this is the most unique box set I've ever owned. The box itself is quite large as it has to fit a 12 inch record and have room on either side. It is essentially a school desk full of Alice goodies. The cd's are full of early Alice that simply hasn't been released before, some really cool early (pretties for you / easy action) live stuff and interesting demos of the classics. I have not had a chance to view the DVD yet either, but listened to both records and 3 discs. What I was impressed with was the vinyl SOUNDS GREAT. I wasn't expecting the 7 inch in particular to be pressed on 180 gram vinyl, but am certainly glad it was. The "bootleg" 12 inch reproduced faithfully with a blank white label and glued on cover on the white sleeve, just like you used to find back in the day with bootlegs. Pretty neat touch, actually, but this record sounds much better as the sound appears to have been cleaned up and it has been pressed on heavy vinyl.

The book I thought was really well done, and is a hardcover "year book" just like we got back in our school days. The folder with the art prints/concert ticket replica, etc. are well done, but I would agree the "ticket" and reproduction set list was printed cheaply. All the other items included I felt are of high quality and don't feel the paperstock was thin or anything.

The box Amazon shipped this in was pretty much destroyed by the UPS driver, but I was happy to find that the boxset inside suffered no damage whatsoever.

I will admit this box set is not for everyone, it is clearly tailored to the die-hard Alice Cooper fan as everything included is a rarity, but the construction itself is VERY WELL DONE and certainly a unique item to say the least. It takes up a bit of shelf space, but with what's included, this is sure to be a limited production item. I don't understand why the price has already gone up multiple times as it was just released yesterday, but I am glad I was able to utilize a 20% off coupon I had for Amazon and with shipping, etc. got mine for around $180.00. I would recommend this only for the die-hards.

3.0 out of 5 stars OVERRATED, June 29, 2011
Ok, I know everyone is chomping at the bit and there's a lot of controversy over the cost (I got mine for $214 on Amazon, by the way - before they jacked the price up more - and I wish I had the money back). Is there some cool stuff in there? - yes. The old demos, live performances, etc. are all neat and sound good but that's only 3 CDs worth. I confess I have not had time to preview the DVD so can't comment on what is on there but will add to my review later unless someone beats me to posting about it first - I will say I think it is suspect that you can't find any info online about the DVD contents though. All the goodies like the reproduced ticket stubs, books, etc. are ok but felt "cheap" like they didn't use good quality paper stock. One part of my interior box was damaged slightly (I was able to bend it back in to shape and smooth it out) which is INEXCUSABLE for a pacakge of this cost. My bottom line is this - it's not worth the money and unless you're a really die-hard fan that has to have everything Alice, I'd pass on it. For that matter, I may send mine back to Amazon for a refund due to the interior damage - the overall package is cool but just not enough to warrant this sort of cost.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced: For The Super-Fans Only, December 3, 2011
Kasey G (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews
An extravagant set for the diehard super-fan, "Old School" is very overpriced for the more casual Alice Cooper fan and would have been better received had they scaled it down a bit.

I worked overtime for several weeks to afford this thing, and while there are parts of it I really enjoy, there are others for which I have no use. For instance, I haven't owned a turntable in over 20 years so the vinyl bootleg album of the Killer Tour and the 7" Nazz single are of no use to me. The Killer repro tour program, while ok, is obviously not as good quality as an original, if you wanted to seek out one of those.

Where this release succeeds is in the CD and DVD department. The CD of the Killer Tour for me is the highlight, as well as the In Their Own Words CD, which features Alice, Mike Bruce, Dennis Dunaway, Neal Smith and Bob Ezrin waxing nostalgic about the glory days (the CD also opens with a short 1971 interview). The DVD is an edited version of the spoken-word CD featuring the guys reminiscing. We also get vintage performances of "Levity Ball" and "Elected" (both 1969) as well as "Eighteen", "Black Juju" and "Is It My Body" from Detroit Tubeworks in 1971. The quality of these is what you'd expect from VHS dubs. The DVD and In Their Own Words CD are a must-have for fans of the original group. The Treasures CDs feature promotional spots, rough demos, and studio takes and are ok but nothing I'd listen to on a regular basis.

This set would have been better had they gone for a $75-100 price point using the yearbook format with cut-outs inside the front and back covers to house the CDs and DVD. The elaborate school-desk packaging is probably what accounts for much of the high price tag. If it had been cheaper, I would rate it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Abridged version of the expensive Box., April 12, 2013
This review is from: Old School (1964-1974) (Audio CD)
This is yet another affordable alternative which works very well, imo, as this is geared towards more serious fans of the original Alice Cooper band and the inclusions of radio ad promo snippets adds to the quirkiness and desired appeal to this condensed box. Two discs comprise the meat and potatoes portion of this set along with a live show from St. Louis from the Killer tour. An interview disc is included as well with various interviews interspersed from the early-mid 70's from most of the members and is merely a slightly interesting feature, although, I would've preferred more lost material be heard, but for the price, its forgivable. Demo recordings of tracks like Desperado, Halo of Flies, Never Been Sold Before and School's Out are really a treat to hear, not to mention the earliest demos for their debut album Pretties for You which shows how different and underdeveloped their sound was back then. The live show from St. Louis is good, and makes for a nice match up from Rhino's Billion Dollar Babies expanded 2nd live disc which was taken from shows in Texas. If nothing else, it features Glen Buxton's strength on the lead guitar chores before his noticeable decline as Mick Mashbir helped out on the Babies' tour. For those of you whom couldn't afford the lavish full box set, this edition is a great grab and nicely packaged as well. Its worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, January 23, 2013
This review is from: Old School (1964-1974) (Audio CD)
Less a guilty pleasure than the original incarnation of this box, which was, literally, the size of a school desk, here you have all the sonic goodies -sans the DVD, for about a 90% discount --and, as a bonus, it stores nicely on a bookshelf. The Zappa-era outtakes are refreshingly bizarre, and the "classic" quintet of AC Band records (Love it to Death-Muscle of Love) is represented with alt takes and a killer diller live show from '71.

This collection underscores the obvious point that there was so much more to Alice than ..umm...Alice. Glen Buxton, Micael Bruce, Dennis Dunaway, and Neal Smith rocked like murder, and gave our pal Vince a menacing sound that he has never been able to reproduce in later years. It's not for ironic resaons that The Sex Pistols, Replacements, and Nick Cave have all covered this classic material.

I wouldn't necessarily start here for my first foray into Alice's Wonderland --"Love it to Death" and "Killer", for my money, are the standouts; however, if you've always wanted more from this short-lived band, this was worth the wait.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overrated and Overpriced, June 29, 2011
I just received this in the mail last night and haven't had a chance to listen to all of it yet BUT the one thing I did notice right away after examining the contents to be sure it contained everything that was advertised was that the "replica" of the Nazz single was a little different than the pictures that I have seen of the contents of this package. If you go on Alice's website it shows that the single has the USA type 45 rpm with the large hole in the middle. The one in my box set has the English type with the 33 1/3 small hole. A little disappointing. Also the inclusion of a whole CD of spoken word is a bit much plus including some on the DVD as well. Overpriced? Yes but Amazon's price is lower than Alice's website. Maybe that is why I got the english version of the 45. There is a site I found that details the contents of the spoken word CD and also the DVD: [...]. This could have been so much better if they had stuck to rarities and unreleased material. This is a must of course for hard core Alice fans and being one I had to get it and will keep it but it is overpriced and overrated. Too much paper and not enough vinyl, CDs and DVDs. I really don't care about the replicas of the ticket, posters and other stuff. The book is good but I need to look at it more. I did want to post this as an advisory to those considering purchasing this. For Hard Hearted Alice Fans Only!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, July 3, 2011
This truly is for the hard core Cooper fan. I am that fan and know that not having this set would have eaten at me for life. The old footage and rare demos are cool. the replica items are amazing and I am happy to finally have a 72 bootleg that is easy to understand. My original is awesome and I have it both on vinyl and cd but now i can let those original bootlegs rest in my collection and enjoy the cleaner sound. So if you are a Cooper fanatic all i can say is GET IT! GET IT! GET IT! BUY THIS BABY YOU WILL LOVE IT! If you are not a true hardcore fan save your money or at least don't leave a bad review because this is loaded with the rare stuff that us hardcore fans have spent tons of money on, well more than this box set cost. I call it an investment in my listening pleasure. Now if he would just re-release his 4 tv specials so i can retire my vhs copies!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the fan..., October 25, 2013
This review is from: Old School (1964-1974) (Audio CD)
If you couldn't afford the original boxed set with the vinyl, etc., this is the set to buy. I absolutely loved the "School's Out" session with the kids! Where else would anyone get to hear these things? Every Alice fan should have this if they don't have the other set.

4.0 out of 5 stars im an old school scientist, January 24, 2013
This review is from: Old School (1964-1974) (Audio CD)
ive been an alice cooper fan since 1971 when i got love it to death. the live killer is great. the real old stuff on this cd tells you how alice got started. some of this is pre. <preties for you>. the litterature is like reading a short book. cool pictures. there is no billion dollar babies on this , i dont know why ,, must be a copy right problem.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›