5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, Well Built, Great Pizza Crust
I bought two of these, despite their relatively high price. I wanted to be able to cook two large pizzas at once for entertaining, so nobody waits slobbering while others eat their pizza.

Published on February 22, 2005 by Bruce E. Layne

2.0 out of 5 stars decent pizza stone, but way over priced
One of my friends got one of these pizza stones and I went over to make pizza with him, and what amazed me was that this looks and feels JUST like a unglazed tile... I had great fun making pizza with him, and the pizza came out great, but I couldn't justify spending this much $$$ on a pizza stone...

I ended up going to Home Depot and picked up a 12" unglazed...
Published on July 24, 2005 by Joshua M. Kuo

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy, Well Built, Great Pizza Crust, February 22, 2005
Bruce E. Layne (Lexington, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Old Stone 4461 16-Inch Round Oven Pizza Stone (Kitchen)

I've made pizza twice and have not been disappointed. The stones are fairly soft and would scratch easily with sharp steel implements, so I'd avoid using them. The sone's porosity means it will stain easily. Spilled tomato sauce and cheese will bake right into the surface. I expect my pizza stones will quickly develop a patina. If you want clean looking pizza stones, the maintenance would be nearly impossible. Otherwise, maintenance is easy. Wash in hot water (no soap) and air dry. Use a belt sander or orbital sander if you ever want to renew the surface.

I'm surprised another reviewer received a broken pizza stone. The manufacturer packages these heavy and moderately fragile items very well with lots of corrugated cardboard. Both of mine arrived in perfect condition. They were shipped separately, like apparently everything from Amazon.

The crust is much better than the pizzas I was making in glass pie plates. It's crispy on the bottom and tender in the middle. The toppings are better too, because they are cooked at higher temperatures and have more of a roasted flavor. Before, pizzas cooked at 350 F for 25 minutes. The crust had good flavor but tended to steam under the vegetables and cooked very slowly. Now, I cook pizzas in ten minutes (!) and the crust and toppings are perfect. For entertaining, you could easily bake a pizza in the time it takes to assemble the toppings for the next pizza.

I just received the peel. For the uninitiated, a peel is the flat wooden pizza assembly station used to transfer the pizza to the stone in the oven. So far, I have made four pizzas without the peel and it's frustrating, and possibly dangerous working in a 500 F oven. Get the peel. It's not an option.

A tablespoon of corn meal on the peel and the stone will prevent the dough / crust from sticking.

The pizza stone is requiring a new learning curve, and I'm fairly sure it'll end up being a bit more effort than the pie plates I was using, but the much better pizza will be well worth the little extra effort. The peel and stone make it possible to have gourmet restaurant pizza at home. It's much easier than most people would think, and much less expensive than eating out. With no prior experience, expect 4-5 attempts to work out the tricks. After that, homemade pizza is fast and easy.

Pizza Dough:

1 1/8 cups of warm water

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon dry yeast

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon olive oil

3 cups bread flour

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl in the order listed. Mix by hand until liquid is absorbed. Use a heavy duty mixer (Kitchenaid, etc.) and a dough hook to knead the dough for ten minutes (highly recommended), or knead by hand on a floured bread board until the dough has a silky sheen (the labor intensive method). Spray with olive oil in the mixing bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let the dough rise until doubled in size. This takes 20-30 minutes in a 200 F oven (lowest setting) or on the stove top as the oven below is preheating. Makes two 14" pizza crusts.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Replacement, January 16, 2007
Fred Telegdy (Stuarts Draft, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Old Stone 4461 16-Inch Round Oven Pizza Stone (Kitchen)
I was working in the garage when I heard what sounded like a gunshot blast inside the house. I ran inside and found our old well-seasoned pizza stone cracked in three huge pieces and I was sad.

LESSON: Do NOT ever (EVER!) leave your pizza stone on stove-top burner that is turned on. It was an accident, but the result was loud, scary, and sad.

Quickly, we were in the market for a new pizza stone because we used it all the time and wanted to get a new one well-seasoned sooner rather than later. We bought the Old Stone version based on reviews and such and have been nothing but happy with it since we got it.

This pizza stone weighs a ton (about twice as heavy as our previous one), but it does a great job of retaining seasoning and cooling down. Our old one took a while to cool down, but this one seems to cool down a lot faster. If you're in the market for a pizza stone, I highly recommend this one.

A note on seasoning a pizza stone

Ask 100 people how to season a pizza stone and you'll likely get 100 answers. Here's mine. First off, NEVER wash a pizza stone with soap. The soap will get soaked into your stone and, well, make your food taste soapy. If anything, wash with water only. BUT, we never wash ours. Before you get all grossed out about it, we basically keep our pizza stone in the oven all the time. We cook everything we can on it (pizza, re-heated pizza, cheese sticks, heated sandwiches, etc.) and just let the juices and whatnot fall where it may on the pizza stone. By leaving it in the oven all the time, all of the leftover juices and whatnot basically gets burned into the stone and helps the seasoning process. In the end, through this process, the goal is to have a black pizza stone and that's when it will be completely non-stick and give you the best tasting pizzas you've ever cooked. It'll take a while (we've been going on almost a year now and it's just a dark brown), but it's well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST HOME PIZZA YET!, February 17, 2005
I've prided myself on my homemade pizza for years. It's something I take very seriously no matter if I am making my dough from scratch, or if time doesn't permit, using pre-made refridgerated dough. Now I've used all sorts of pizza pans to bake my pies from the round aluminum sheets, to the large round sheets with the holes in them, to the rectangular pans that pizzerias use for deep dish pizza. Bottom line is that none of them gave as true a pizzeria taste as this baking stone. What's more is that stone allows you to cook at hotter temperatures as my older oven always cooked faster on the bottom and I'd have to adjust the rack heighth. The stone allows for much more even cooking and provides a true gourmet tasting crust. I'll never go back to aluminum pans again. Great item and great value as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile investment, March 8, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Old Stone 4461 16-Inch Round Oven Pizza Stone (Kitchen)
I've had this stone about a month, and I'm completely satisfied. It's nice & sturdy, about 1/2 inch thick with ridges on the bottom that hold it up another 1/2 inch. I've used it to make pizza and bread a few times now, and the results are so much better than any pan or sheet I've tried. Honestly, I think it's possible to make pizza that equals or betters most take-out if you use a stone, and we've been more than happy with the results we've gotten. It takes a bit of practice to use a peel properly, but I put the stone on the bottom rack on it's lowest setting, so I can pull the rack out, which facilitates putting a pizza on the stone. So far it cleans very easily, and it's just been a tremendous amount of fun to experiment with. I almost went with the 14x16 model, but decided that the round surface better suited my needs. Highly recommended!!

EDIT 07/25/13: My pizza stone is still going strong! I leave it in the oven all the time on the bottom rack and only remove it if extra headroom is needed. It makes great bread and excellent pizza. I've learned that I get the best pizza results when cranking my oven up to 500 degrees and letting it warm up for 30 minutes or so. I haven't had any chips or cracks, it's held up just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few that's solid enough for extreme temps, even over open flame on the grill, January 26, 2010
I did some studying prior to buying my new pizza stone. We're a two chef household so artistan breads and baking are important to us...but we cook so much that we're known to even do gourmet pizzas on the grill. Often. Even some frozen pizzas!

Because we have a new grill, (A "Big Green Egg" which has a smaller top than our old one), our old stone no longer fit. I have a degree in art with an area of emphasis in pottery so that combo of culinary school and pottery knowledge of clay and high fire temps makes me a very picky consumer.

I had already discussed pizza stones that were strong enough to withstand even grill heat with others and knew some NEVER cut it (Pampered Chef is thin and will break on a grill almost every time according to the cooks on the Big Green Egg website and a friend with a grilling tv show) and some SOMETIMES cut it but might break, and then some others could take the heat AND stay IN the kitchen.

This was one. So I took the early recommendations then looked at Amazon reviews as well. This had some of the highest ratings and the low ratings were from it not being packed well in shipping...rarely from cracking easily as other stones were said to in their reviews. Granted, that doesn't make it UNbreakable. It's still ceramic. And sometimes cooks believe a ceramic piece to break suddenly (in the oven, in a dishwasher) when in actuality it had a hairline crack in it which caused it to break when heated...which I am not saying was the cause of the person who had theirs crack, but could be.

I say that only because I did quite a bit of research first for a commercial quality stone that can withstand not just ordinary oven heat, but also direct flame at very high heat on the grill. And this one came up the winner each time, even in a restaurant supply store (which by the way, was more expensive than my just ordering it from Amazon which I did as you can see from my purchase stamp. Kudos Amazon.) It had to be thick, of kiln-quality fire brick material...

I wanted brick oven pizza with the smokiness of the grill.

Success!

And when I cook my artistan breads or pizzas in the ove...it does just as well.

As an aside, you aren't supposed to put your dough directly on a pizza stone. Put cornmeal down first. It won't stick and is a nice addition anyway. Once it's black and well seasoned, you can then.

Always preheat your pizza stone as you heat up the oven or grill. Dont ever put it in a hot oven or grill. It's not good for the stone and it won't work...in order to get crispy crust, it must be hot when you put your dough on it.

It won't be non-stick until it's been used many many times..."seasoned"... How will you know? It's black by then.

...never wash it. Never put it under water. Scrape it. Trust me on this one although non-chefs expect to die from it. You won't. Google it...it's how you use a pizza stone. (grin) Also, if you put water or soap on it will absorb it. You dont want to eat pizza soap. Nopers.

This is the perfect size as it allows the heat to flow up AROUND the stone easily as well.

For easy homemade pizza, you can buy a box or bag of pizza dough mix in your pizza aisle if you don't want to make your own dough, make it up, get your grill hot, throw your formed dough down knowing it will rise some as it cooks, once it's cooked well on one side, flip it, add sauce, and yummy things like mozz. cheese, a little olive oil, a little fresh basil and some fresh ricotta and sliced tomatoes...ooooeeee.

p.s. you can also put pizza dough directly on grill grates...they create different flavors but it's harder not to burn that way.

NEGATIVES: There is a risk this could arrive broken if you have a crazy UPS man. Ours was packed well but apparently some others had this issue so the company may sometimes not pack well. Good news is that I've returned items before to Amazon and they have been good about refunds and exchanges. Ours was packed perfectly so maybe this is no longer a risk, but since it happened to more than one person according to the reviews I read, this may be an issue. I know there is always a risk when you ship something made from clay...but that would bother me to wait on an item that arrived broken as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alot Of Reasons To Like..., June 24, 2010
These are perfect for baking in my RV oven for several reasons:

1. The small size makes them easier to store than a large stone.

- I kept the hefty box the stones were originally packaged in and place a paper towel btw each stone before placing it in the box. The box of stones fits in a drawer.

2. The small size makes placing the individual tiles in the oven easier.

- the smaller size makes them quite easy to place in the oven and easy to adjust to fit my needs. I sometimes place the stones on the flat surface on the bottom of the oven ( the flat shelf above the broiler) to produce a more even heat in my oven when baking a pie, cake, casserole, etc on the oven rack.

- when baking no knead bread I place the stones on the rack then place my Range Kleen Porcelain 8-1/2-Inch-by-13-Inch Broil & Bake Pan on the flat shelf on the bottom of the oven to produce the steam as is required to get the light crispy crust. The Pan Gripper Deep Dish Model makes sliding the broiler pan out and adding the hot water quickly then pushing the broiler pan back in place fast, easy and safe. When baking a small loaf as I often do, I only use 4 of the stones.

3. The small size makes them easy to clean.

- The small size enables them to be placed in the sink for a good soaking and they fit into my small dish drainer for a thorough drying.

Glad I chose this set of smaller versatile stones over a single large stone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holds the heat, makes my oven great, April 6, 2007
I do use this large stone, on the lowest rack of my oven, for baking bread, pizza, and cookies, ALWAYS on a sheet of parchment paper, no matter what I bake. I use parchment paper for baking any product with a large amount of flour. I keep the stone in my oven for all baking because, after the longer heat-up time, the temperature in my oven stays constant through every cycle of the electric element heating up and cooling down.

I saw on a PBS breads cooking show that parchment paper can be used on a stone in any hot oven, over the 420 degrees F of the Reynolds brand paper; up to 475-500 degrees F is what I saw. The paper can turn brown and black, get crisp, and still be in one piece. You throw away parchment paper after use every time anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars ultimate pizza stone, March 16, 2007
perfect stone for pizza,calzones,bread,etc.because of its thickness,size,and heat retention.it is also very stable in the oven due to the legs underneath and weight.other stones are 5/16th thick.this is 9/16th which makes a big difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stone, June 26, 2007
I have had several pizza stones in the past, it was all good. This 16 in. heavy duty stone is ideal for several pies after several hours of baking. It stays hot and doesn't cool very quickly. My pies are more crispy with an improved texture and a faster baking time. DFW

5.0 out of 5 stars the cooking stone, April 7, 2009
love the rock, makes the fresh dough pizza perfect love this product i have a3/8" one but this is 9/16" of an inch and it makes a big difference would recomend this to anyone who likes to make pizzas or anything else in your oven and the service was great

Old Stone 4461 16-Inch Round Oven Pizza Stone