5.0 out of 5 stars Room for me and my dog
Published on April 11, 2011 by Meeze

3.0 out of 5 stars Good flatwater kayak, but not so much on a river
The Old Town Vapor 10 is the first kayak we bought, and was great for paddling around flatwater rivers and lakes, but we have now outgrown it as we have begun paddling rivers more.

Published on November 18, 2011 by Diane-Cookie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Room for me and my dog, April 11, 2011
I bought this kayak two years ago at the end of the season.They only had one color lime green but I loved the large cockpit. I have an eighty pound dog who loves to be out on the water. I take her with me regularly. We are both comfortable in it. I admit that it handles better without her weight in the bow but I love to have her there. When I am alone in it I can really stretch out, carry camera equipment and it does handle better without her. It is very stable, easy to get in and out and fits easily inside my CRV with the back tied down. I can load it my self and carry it to the water. I am 76 years old and kayak almost every day in the warmer months. From New Hampshire

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recreational/fishing kayak., April 7, 2011
Rockdoc "Rockdoc" (Somerset, KY United States) - See all my reviews
This is just a really nice kayak. Comes from the factory with things like a drain plug, thigh pads, carrying handles and can holders. It's really easy to get into and out of and for a few bucks you can rig it with pole holders and bungees and you're ready to go. Easy for one person to handle for loading and unloading and is super stable in the water. It tracks well and sits high in the water. I liked my first one so much I'm in the process of buying a second one for my wife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kayak, July 27, 2010
David R. Kent (Los Alamos, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This kayak is great. It tracks well, is very stable, and seems faster than other kayaks I've used. It is also short enough to throw in the back of my truck so I don't have to bother with a roof rack. Get a long paddle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boat!, August 8, 2011
After a few days of reading different reviews, comparing prices, models etc. I decided I'd give the Vapor 10 a try. I am new to kayaking and didn't want to go with a more expensive boat right off the bat. After ordering, i received notification that the boat was shipping very quickly and was contacted by the shipper (in my case, it was handled by Pilot freight, Boston, ma). They gave me a tracking number and everything.

The boat arrived within 5 days and I needed to be home to receive and sign for the item from the shipper. The boat came wrapped up in thick mil plastic and had some protective bumpers on the bow and stern... So it seemed like it was in good condition upon initial inspection. Upon further inspection, I noticed a gash in the hull about half the thickness of the material. Now, I know it was able to handle water and be safe but I did believe that it significantly shortened the life of the boat. This is where amazon stepped up to the plate. I took a picture of the daname and wrote an email to them. They quickly responded with an offer the replace the item free of charge....including return shipping!!! The replacement came within 5 days and I was very impressed. The new boat was flawless. This incident, mainly how it was handled, is a prime reason why I love amazon. They are quick to correct any problems.

Now, the boat. It is super easy to move around from vehicle to shore and is easy to pick up. The construction overall is excellent. I did not notice any defects or any indicators that construction was shoddy or put together hastily. Another reason that I purchase this model is because of Old Towns reputation for quality. It sure does show in this boat. The cockpit is wide and long, perfect for any activity....I like how I can put the seat back and put my legs up and almost fall asleep!! It's a very comfortable boat. Im about 200lbs and 5'6" and have no problems with it. There is ample room bow and stern to stow items. I have a rather large dry bag that I place behind the seat and have a cooler and other items that I keep in the bow. The dry hatch in the stern is not a hatch...there is no cover included with the vapor 10. You must purchase this separately....about 50bucks on amazon. The seat is relatively comfortable. I have a large beach town that I fold up and sit on to make it a littleq more comfortable. I do wish that I could have the seat from the XTS though. It seems like it would be more comfortable, but this one is just fine. There is a cup holder in the seat and also a dash area in the bow that allows for a pair of sunglasses, tackle, sunscreen or whatever.

Overall, this boat handles well for a ten footer. I only use it on ponds and lakes and have not used it in any rough water. I feel very stable in it. It glides thru the water easy, and tracks well for a boat that is this length and style. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a quality boat without committing to a large purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good flatwater kayak, but not so much on a river, November 18, 2011

- Very pronounced keel line makes it track pretty well across flat water. However, that same keel line makes it easily caught and turned by a current or a rock on a river. This isn't a boat for playing in the rapids, eddy-hopping, or ferrying.
- The bathtub-size cockpit opening is huge! Which makes it easy for larger folks to get in and out of it, but on any kind of river rapids, it will take on a lot of water.
A Seals 7.0 Inlander spray skirt will fit this boat to keep water out, but the cockpit is so long that most people won't be able to put the skirt on starting behind the seat. The only way I can do it is to get the skirt started at the front of the cockpit, then work back to finish behind the seat. The Seals skirt has a lanyard attached to the release loop so that you can reach it when you need to wet exit.
- The seat has a pretty good backrest that can be adjusted in angle. I have spent up to 5 hours paddling around a local lake without getting out.

Before getting a kayak, think about where you're likely to want to use it, and check out what other people are paddling there. There are plenty of paddling clubs around, just ask any kayaker you see on a river.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Town Vapor 10, August 7, 2011
This review is from: Old Town Canoes and Kayaks 10 Vapor Recreational Kayak (Sports)
I ordered this Old Town Vapor 10 and it will be my 2nd one. I love this kayak and feel it is worth every penny. It is a good sturdy kayak and has great stability. I suggest ordering the deck hatch for a better storage option. I've found this hatch cover makes the deck storage a great cooler! This kayak is 2nd to none in overall comfort and room and offers lots of storage for carrying extras. For those who want white water forget this one, it's not for you as is does lose handling in moderately unsteady waters. Experienced kayakers should know not to buy a recreational kayak for that purpose anyway. But if you want a great kayak for paddling or fishing in rivers or open waters this one tracks wonderfully. Definitely 5 stars from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Boat for the Price, April 9, 2012
I've had this kayak about 2 weeks now and have had it out 3 times. I've put about a total of 4.5 hours in it thus far. So far I'd say it's a great boat for a first time or a recreational user.

About me. I'm a first time kayak owner. I'm a larger guy, about 5'8 270. I was looking for a good first boat that would be comfortable and something I can eventually do an overnight or even a 2 night trip with. I know "technically" this boat isn't for that, but I'm going to make it work! On to the boat...

First, the large cockpit is fantastic for a bigger guy like myself to get in and out of. There is plenty of room in there to put some cargo or a pet comfortably. Although, it does make for a little splash in heavy chop or minor "rapids". The seat though is not very comfortable. To correct this, I bought a self inflating Therm-a-Rest trail seat. I recommend it, makes a world of difference. Part II of my seat complaint is how low the seat is. You're pretty much on the floor of the boat, so any water (even a little bit) could end up making for a damp trip. The self inflating pad also took care of that problem. However, the seat back is pretty comfortable and super easy to adjust on the fly. The thigh pads are a huge plus. The footpegs are very easy to use and adjust while on the water. The boat tracks OK, I would not agree with other reviews about it tracking "great". You have to use a little caution in current, the skeg shaped rear end of the boat is easy to get spun in current if you're not paying attention. The drain plug is in the dumbest possible location. I seriously can't wrap my head around how that design made it to production. It's positioned just behind the seat instead of at the end of the boat. Virtually impossible to get any water out with one person.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with my purchase. I would definitely recommend this boat to anyone looking for a entry level kayak and not wanting to break the bank. Especially larger paddlers like myself. I did a lot of research before buying and to me, this was the most bang for my buck. I'm looking forward to putting many hours on it in our local lakes and rivers. I've already added some bow deck rigging and will be installing some over the rear storage compartment very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time kayaker, couldn't flip this thing!, June 9, 2012
My wife and I both decided we wanted to go kayaking, rather then rent we decided to buy. She bought the Emotion sit on top, I wanted something stable like a sit in, without feeling trapped if it flipped. The cockpit area on the Vapor 10 is huge, I am nearly 6 foot and when I sat inside it with my feet on the foot braces my legs were not "under" the kayak cover at all. I could stretch my feet out straight and sure they were "under" then but the opening is so large I wasn't worried about being trapped.

Now, today we took the kayaks out for our maiden voyage. Neither my wifes or mine flipped. I paddled mind to get used to it and then started rocking it heavily, the kayak felt great, no tipping. And keep in mind I am not a swimmer. I had a PFD on and still felt safe in this kayak.

We paddled approx 2 miles, stopped along a few shore lines along the way to practice getting in and out and everything works great. Easy to get in and out as long as you are in shallow water. Getting in and out in deeper water for me wasn't going to happen, at least not without the use of a paddle float which I don't own.... yet.....

As for going straight. It's up to the paddler. This boat DOES turn easy if you just sit in a current. But when paddling it goes pretty straight, depending on your paddle technique. I had no issues going in a straight line and I've never kayaked before, although it did take around 15 minutes to get the right paddle stroke down.

The only downsides to this particular model is as follows:

1. The seat is NOT that comfortable. It's not bad but I'll be getting some extra padding to sit on and lean on.
2. If you manage to tip it which is difficult, getting the water out isn't quick and easy. a sit on top has holes to drain water, this one has none so you have to bail the water yourself. That being said I intentionally tried to sink this thing by tipping it over on its side, and letting it fill. I then flipped it the right way up and held it under water so it filled 100%. It sank as long as I held it under with force. As soon as I let go it popped back up. Sure the cockpit was totally flooded but the fact is I couldn't get this thing to sink.
3. The drain plug is not in the best place. The put it on the left side of the boat instead of at the front or back (bow or stern). I found it made draining the water a little difficult to get it all out. No problem, a bilge sponge, bilge pump or my trust shop vac at home allowed me to get the water out. I didn't own the sponge or pump but I did bring a small plastic cup with me just in case, I bailed a little water that I got in as I made several entry and exits while we were playing.
4. It's a bit heavier then others I looked at, and my wifes. The plus side, it feels solid and I bet that has to do why it's so stable.
5. No "addons", if you buy the angler for $20 more you get rod holders (not needed for me) but you get bow webbing to store stuff and the cover over the day well to store stuff. I almost went the green route for these add ons but I wanted a BRIGHT kayak. On the lakes I'm going on there are motor boats that go fast. I don't want to blend in and rather make sure people can see me, they can in this thing. I will be ordering the add-ons for extra storage.
6. The dash/cup holder is really far in front. Almost unusable. That being said there is a cup holder on the seat which worked perfect for me, and I had an otterbox dry box for my android phone and that was perfect so I didn't use the "dashboard".

I like this kayak, I'm glad I bought it and my wife and I will be taking them out again. Recommended.

--Note, I did order this via amazon so it was delivered by a freight company. That was smooth for the most part. They called me the next day after I ordered it and setup a delivery date. The told me it would be on Friday from 10am-2pm. Then the day before they were supposed to deliver it I got another call to schedule delivery asking if Saturday would work. I told them no, Friday is what I was told, between 10-2. They agreed and so I took the day off of work. 9am came the day of delivery and I got an email from amazon showing a delivery time of 5pm was set.... not anywhere near 10-2.. So I looked at the shipping companys site for tracking info and they showed 5pm as well. I called them up because I took the day off of work to be home for this thing and I normally get home around 4, I could have gone to work if 5pm was the delivery time.. Well they were friendly to work with, they confirmed 5pm but I asked they verify because I was told differently when we first set it up. The lady took my name and number and called me back after she called the driver and said he should be at my house in an hour. Approx 10:30am the driver showed up and I had my kayak.

This was my first time using a shipper for an amazon product besides ups or fedex, it went well, I just had to follow up a few times. Kayak was delivered with a small scratch, but nothing serious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginners Kayak, April 26, 2011
Kayak "CBD" (Moulton, AL, US) - See all my reviews
I brought two last year one like this on and the 12 foot old town angler. It is the same boat just two foot longer. Me and my wife love them. We have had them both on streams and lakes. They sure have made kayakers out of us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good kayak for the money, July 25, 2011
Amazon Customer (Selinsgrove, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this kayak to use in the river and when we go on camping vacations. It's not as nice as the Old Town Dirigo, but you get what you pay for. It definitely serves it's purpose if you're a casual kayaker. My only complaints are that the hatch isn't covered and the back of the flip-up seat isn't padded. My husband wound up buying hatch covers (on Amazon) and installing them and I'm glad he did. It's much more convenient and we will be able to keep drinks and food cold on long trips. The other thing that I noticed is that the bottom had an area that bowed a little after I had it out on the river once. It hasn't affected paddling or floating so I'm not too worried about it. Finally, the drain plug is at an idiotic spot. It's really difficult to get all of the stinky river water out of it, especially if I'm draining it by myself. You almost have to have two people lift it on both ends and rock it back and forth to get the water to come out. But even with the complaints, I really do like this kayak. I would definitely recommend this if you're looking for something to use to putter around in, casually.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›