Yes, this does work. It repels water completely as long as it is in place. However, it does leave a white haze (and if you don't see that haze during application, you probably haven't used enough to be effective). The good news is that the haze shouldn't be obvious to others once the NeverWet dries - IF you have used it on white or light colored items.

This...
Published 15 months ago by Kcorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product, Short Lifespan
I had seen demonstrations of this stuff at least a year ago, but it was not commercially available. So when I found out it was on the market, I immediately snatched some up. It certainly lives up to the hype. Instructions (briefly) are as follows:

Published 17 months ago by tbro4033

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product, Short Lifespan, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Rust Oleum 274232 Never Wet Multi Purpose Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)

1) Clean whatever you're going to spray really well. 2) In well-ventilated area, spray the base coat (can 1) in a thin layer. Allow at least 30 min to dry. 3) Repeat step 2 at least once more (needs at least 2 base coats). 4) Spray the top coat (can 2) in a thin layer. Allow 30 min to dry. 5) Repeat step 3 at least twice more (works best with 3-4 coats). So overall, the process takes 3.5-4 hours (though most of it is just the product drying), depending on how many coats you put on.

This stuff leaves a "milky haze," so I would NOT recommend using it on darker items that you don't want discolored. On black shoes, for instance, it will turn them a grayish color. I am only using on white items (ie sneakers), since you can't really notice the coating. Supposedly, Rustoleum has a clear version in the works, but who knows if/when it will be released.

This stuff works as depicted in the demo videos. Liquids seem to just glide right off of it. Though you can supposedly use it on your smartphone, I'm a little too cautious to actually attempt that. If you ruin it, no insurance plan is going to cover that. But, if you've got more intestinal fortitude than me, go for it.

Some people have asked about "breathability" of items once coated. According to the instructions, the thicker the base coat(s) you apply, the less breathable the item. I did 2 thin coats on my sneakers (as instructed) and I haven't noticed a difference personally. The stuff isn't meant to last forever, but as to how long it actually works I'm not sure. The directions talk about the conditions which affect the longevity of the coating, but of course, make no actual estimate/claim as to how long it should last. Time will tell. When I start to see it wearing off, I'll update this post with the answer.

Summary: Works as depicted in demos. Process is a bit lengthy, but most of it is waiting for the coats to dry. Leaves a "milky haze," so don't use it on darker products unless you don't care about how it looks. Would definitely recommend this product.

UPDATE: I've had this product on my shoes for ~1 month now. I haven't worn my sneakers out in the rain much, as it just hasn't rained a whole lot. I'd say maybe 3 times. But I have been wearing them on dry days frequently. I noticed the other day that the coating had worn off parts of the shoe. So, with moderate use (regardless of actual time spent repelling liquids), the coating started to wear off within one month. Sadly, I don't think I will be repurchasing the product again, as the short lifespan makes respraying the sneakers monthly financially tough. I still think it's a really cool product, but it could be greatly improved by increasing the lifespan and if it didn't leave that milky haze.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great if you know when and how to use it. Some guidelines:, August 30, 2013

This product works great on white athletic shoes! Also on canvas slip ons, etc. Water and other liquids roll right off. I found that I had to reapply often on items which got heavy wear. Still, if you do this diligently, your items should look newer longer.

Product literature says not to apply to clothing. But footwear, including athletic shoes and work boots, are fine. To check results and the possible haze you might want to test a small area first.

So....NEVER wet? No. It does wear off and will not last forever. But while it is effective it is VERY effective.Just keep that milky color in mind. I wouldn't spray it on black fabrics.

K.Corn, reviewer

2.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it claims to but..., September 12, 2013
Rust-Oleum's Neverwet does exactly what it claims to but with one caveat. I've yet to actually find a real use for it. One thing I tried it on is an electrical meter that stays outside all of the time, but is not waterproof. I don't know why they didn't make it waterproof since it's designed for an outside application but whatever. I followed the directions and everything went perfectly. The problem is now I can't see through the Neverwet to see what the reading on the meter is. Okay, it's useless for that application. So next I tried it on my workboots. Just like the other reviewers, it went on and did everything it's supposed to. If I sprayed water on the boots, the water was repelled. Great! They're black boots, brand new and the Neverwet turned them blue. I can live with that. Next I tried actually working with the boots on. I went outside one morning to cut my grass. It was a particularly dewey morning so the grass was soaked with water. At first the boots repelled the water. Then after about 1/2 hour of grass trimming with a weedeater, I looked at the boots. The Neverwet was coming off of the boots due to the abrasion of the grass. I would have to say that Neverwet's durability rating is a 1 on a scale of 1 to 100. I have a couple of half used cans of Neverwet here if anybody is interested. Maybe you can find a practical use for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars FALSE ADVERTISING - PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK, August 22, 2013
I'm tired of people saying this product works but "only for a short time" or giving 3-4 stars for "amazing but temporary" I had high hopes for this product but was completely let down. First and foremost the viral video advertising this product is false. They show how you can coat your phone then in the product packaging they tell you its not for electronics. I had several uses for this product in mind and it isn't suitable for a single one.
First, i wanted to use this on the window ledge that is in my shower. I followed the application instruction 100% and the product failed within the first shower. The problem is the protective finish, second step spray, wears off with next to no effort. Will soap or any chemical touch NeverWet? If so don't use NeverWet because those items will destroy the "hydrophobic" finish on contact.
Second, i thought this would be great for my motorcycle and bicycle seats. Sitting on NeverWet destroys Neverwet.
Third, toilet brush as advertised. Nope, rubbing NeverWet removes NeverWet.
If you can think of a useful application for NeverWet where it won't be contacted or subjected to something as mild as bath soap please let me know.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, August 18, 2013
This is one of those products that looks good in the demonstration videos, but how is dipping your gloves in water or a splash of dirt a good test demo?
Plain and simple, this stuff won't last an hour on clothing. It will just make a mess and start to peel off with any friction.
Please don't waste your time and $$ on this product, I took mine back to homedepot the next day.

1.0 out of 5 stars ruins anything it's sprayed on, September 3, 2013
This product does a great job of creating an amazingly hydrophobic surface. You can coat a piece of cardboard in this, shove it to the bottom of a pool, and pull it up dry.

Problem is, it wears off very easily. Rub it with your finger and it's gone. It also dries out and surface it's on, so it you put it on leather shoes not only will they be milky white, but they'll also dry out and crack.

It's sticky too. Anything you spray this on is going to suddenly have a surface like a rubber grip pad. I had a white pair of shoes that I intended on turning into work shoes and only are they very hard to put on now, they collected dust and grass clippings more than any other shoe I've owned. Can't wash them off because the water will bounce right off and if I use soap the Neverwet is ruined.

On a final note, they claim it's a "milky" color. I expected this and planned for it. However, it's not milky or hazy in a predictable manner at all. Sometimes it's clear, other times it's practically like white paint. Shaking it more thoroughly doesn't seem to change it, and I assume it has something to do with a chemical reaction that's occurring.

Save your money, don't buy this product. Hopefully it will disappear off the shelves and we can look back and remember how we all got scammed by a miracle water repellent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, September 5, 2013
I really wanted to like this product, but it's just not a feasible solution for anything. It has absolutely no durability. It literally comes off under a running faucet even after following directions to a T. It does repel stuff for a few minutes until it wears off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Neverwet Neverdries - Overpriced garbage in a can, August 22, 2013
This stuff is pure garbage, not ready for the big world and has limited uses. Never mind that it dries milky, I don't care about that part. The fact is that it never really dries completely or so it seems by it's texture. Weeks later it still has a slightly tacky/velvety, spray adhesive feel to it. If you touch it you will feel it on your fingers for a while so it comes off on your skin. My second beef with this garbage is that it continually degrades until it powders off of whatever you sprayed within weeks and I'm not talking about fabric or anything flexible like clothing or a flag, etc, I'm talking about an inflexible wooden object kept indoors and rarely touched. I can see the powder build up in crevices and folds of the object sprayed. Third: Any petroleum based liquid or terpenoid fluid will dissolve this stuff immediately. Don't even think of spraying citri-solv nearby let alone on it. This stuff repels water ONLY and for a relatively short period of time. This crap is WAY too expensive for it's limited use and poor material qualities. If you need a temporary water barrier for an inflexible object that doesn't get touched then fine, I can see it's utility but I can not recommend this to anyone for any other use with clear conscience.

1.0 out of 5 stars NeverWorks, October 9, 2013
Contrary to what the packaging may indicate, NeverWet doesn't work on leather, metal, wood, fiberglass, plastic, glass, ceramic,or any other surface for very long. I sprayed a few test surfaces last night at 5pm and not even 18 hours later, there isn't a ton of water repelling going on.
The "milky haze" it cautions you about looks more like you just sprayed your boots with a fire extinguisher.
It may repel water for a while until your boots are rubbed on by grass, pant legs or the air.
of course, once you wash something with NeverWorks on it, you either destroy the hydrophobic qualities of the coating with soap, or the stuff rubs off with a sponge.
If you have to see through a surface, don't use NeverWet.
If it comes in contact with any kind of wear or abrasion, don't use NeverWet.
If you don't like your footwear looking like a flocked Christmas tree, don't use NeverWet.
Actually, just don't use NeverWet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate, July 29, 2013
At first it seemed to repel the rain, but after a week, the fabric turned brownish and spotty. It is a Restoration Hardware fabric, and should not have turned color.

Rust Oleum 274232 Never Wet Multi Purpose Kit