5.0 out of 5 stars Technical Breakdown of Heat Transfer
Published 19 months ago by Mateo

3.0 out of 5 stars Plastic bottle users beware
Pros: room to boil a full pint
Cons: handle riveted through sides of cup - imperfect rivet heads scratch and wear Nalgene (or similar) bottles.

Published on August 12, 2012 by F7D486E3087

5.0 out of 5 stars Technical Breakdown of Heat Transfer, May 14, 2013
I chose this pot because it was aluminum, held the volume I wanted, and was priced fair. There are no leaks and the handle seems to be strong enough. I could see how the rivets might be able to scratch a water bottle. I can understand other peoples' complaints in that regard. I don't care-- I don't plan on nesting my water bottle anyways. This mug/pot holds 24 oz. This should be plenty to re-hydrate food for a single hiker.

Read further if you want a more technical review.

There are three main materials that hiking pots are usually made out of-- titanium, aluminum, and stainless steel. The difference between all the materials comes down to ounces in your pack and seconds to boil water.

This pot is made out of anodized aluminum. Aluminum has a higher thermal conductivity than either stainless steel or titanium. In theory, given the same thickness an aluminum pot will conduct heat faster and thus be able to boil water faster. I haven't done the calculation, but I'd imagine the difference is marginal (on the order of seconds). Aluminum is also relatively light (high specific strength).

Titanium pots are usually the lightest. Titanium has the largest specific strength out of all three materials. A thinner (and lighter) pot made out of titanium will have the same strength as a slightly thicker (and heavier) aluminum pot.

Stainless steel has the worst specific strength - it is heavy. Again, we are talking ounces, not pounds so it is not a deal breaker to have a stainless steel pot.

I believe aluminum is superior. It is cheap, light, and has great thermal properties.

A more in-depth look at the heat transfer:

I thought about the transfer of heat through the bottom of the pot using the following equation;

Q= kA(Ti-To)/L

where Q is the heat transfer rate, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, Ti is the flame temperature, To is the water temperature, and L is the material thickness. As thermal conductivity increases, the heat transfer rate will increase. As material thickness increases, the heat transfer rate will decrease. An aluminum pot is about 11x more thermally conductive than titanium and only marginally thicker. Therefore, an aluminum pot should conduct heat faster.

I neglected radiation, only modeled the bottom of the mug, and assumed a constant water/flame temperature.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plastic bottle users beware, August 12, 2012
This review is from: Olicamp Hard Anodized Space Saver Mug (Sports)
Pros: room to boil a full pint

Just returned from first field trip with this cup. Had a Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth BPA-Free Water Bottle nested in it, in a Condor H2O Pouch (Bladder Not Included) MOLLE-attached to UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag for a day pack. Imperfect rivets in this cup dug big gouges in the water bottle. I'll try to re-head the rivets over a round bar, but beware if you purchase: rivets through the wall may gouge your bottle even if properly headed. The same company makes a slightly smaller 16 oz cup Olicamp Space Saver Cup that is stainless with externally attached (spot welded) handles that will not cut your plastic bottle. This combination on a day pack (same bottle, same carrier, same trip afield) showed no issues. Metal water bottle may not be affected, but poorly headed rivets might make bottle removal/insertion problematic. Glad our trip was not any longer - we relied on these rigs as primary canteens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lid & Handle Option, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Olicamp Hard Anodized Space Saver Mug (Sports)
First, I love this little mug. The perfect option for day hikes and over-nighters. I use it with a little homemade alcohol stove, and the whole kit (mug, stove, stand, 2 oz alcohol, cup/lid, spork) weighs a measly 10 oz.

No complaints with the fit and finish. On mine, the rivets are smooth enough inside, very much on par with any other aluminum pot I have. Sure, the measuring demarcations should be inside-facing, but I'm bright enough to read backwards.

The main reason for this post is to comment on lid and handle options.

The Sea to Summit X Mug (Sea to Summit X-Mug) fits perfectly as a lid. Snaps on tightly and securely. Thus it serves dual duty: makes for a secure lid, and doubles as an ample cup. It fits so securely that I don't think twice about loading up the mug with the above-mentioned cooking supplies; nothing's going to spill out in my pack.

The handles do get hot with my alcohol stove (because the flames wrap ever so slightly around the bottom). So following others' advice, I put some silicone tubing around the "grip" portion of the handles (Du-Bro 223 1/8" x 2' Large Super Blue Silicone Tubing). Note that others suggest the Du-Bro 3/32". But the Du-Bro 1/8" is actually a better fit. The inside diameter is ever so slightly smaller than the handle diameter, making for a good, secure fit. But it still slides on easily with a little bit of dish soap inside the tube. I just let a couple of drops of dish soap run their course through the tube to coat the inside walls, then worked it over the handles.

I'll try to post a pic of my configuration.

Fabulous combination. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile tool for being on the move., July 9, 2013
This anodized cup is not titanium or as light as titanium but it is a winner none the less. It is only a smidge heavier that the way more expensive ti cups. The 24oz capacity is terrific for a large cup of morning wake me up or even large enough for heating water directly at night for dehydrated meals directly on a small stove. It has handles that are significantly larger than the usual found on ti cups and I have found that this is very handy in not burning yourself as you pick the cup off the stove when heating directly on flame. The anodized aluminum is also nonstick and wipes clean with no effort. I do own a double walled ti cup but I really like the versatility of being able to use this cup as both cup and cooking utensil on any type of heating source. The price was about 25% of a ti cup too. If you want versatility in your packing kit, this is certainly the cup to get.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price, nice size - but has a couple of issues, May 16, 2013
jeremy hill (Roswell, GA, US) - See all my reviews
This cup is decent. I bought it to take on light and fast overnight/weekend trips. I like that it fits snugly on the end of a Nalgene bottle.I like that it is anodized aluminum, therefore lightweight. I like the slightly oversized handles that don't get too hot when used with the right stove. However, the rivets that are used to attach the handles to the cup body are big, and protrude deeply into the cup itself, which causes it to carve permanent gouges into the sides of the Nalgene bottle. Others have pointed out that the rivets are perfect places for bacteria to hide if you are doing anything more than boiling water in this cup. Any food that can stick to these rivets would be hard to clean effectively while out in the woods. Because of that, i only use this cup on trips where i will only be boing water to dehydrate food, and make hot tea and coffee. I prefer to use a canister stove such as the MSR Pocket Rocket or Micro Rocket because of those stoves' small flame radius. Larger stoves, or stoves with a wider burner pattern, make the cup handles VERY hot, too hot, to handle without tools. With alcohol stoves, this is a waste of fuel because of how inefficiently the heat is being distributed.
Overall, it's not a bad little cup/pot, but it's design leaves a little to be desired.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Cup Good Value, June 20, 2013
Good size, good capacity, good price and quite robust. I use it as the cooking vessel in an ultralight cook kit. The handles are effective but do heat up when cooking. Use a pot holder.
I subtracted 1 star because it doesn't have a lid for use as a pot. I made one out of heavy aluminum foil. Adequate but fitted would be better.
I can fit an alcohol burner, 5 oz. of fuel,(enough to boil 4-6 pints of water depending on conditions), pot holder, lid and a couple of trifles inside the cup,weight 9.2 oz.
Nalgene bottle fits inside but as mentioned elsewhere the rivet heads inside will chafe the plastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camp cup, May 22, 2013
This fits perfectly over my 1L Nalgene bottle. Light weight and doesn't transfer heat to the handles while I heat up my meal over the fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - low weight, reasonably priced, perfect for a single person setup, June 10, 2014
I used this together with a fancy feast stove on a solo trip. I fit the stove, fuel and windshield into the mug with no problems. With this setup, I make coffee in the morning, and hot water for a dehydrated meal for lunch and/or dinner. The mug is put on the stove directly, acting as mug and pot. This setup is suitable for heating water only, as the alcohol stove's heat can't be regulated. (that's not the mug's fault)

It worked well with two small caveats - the handle may be long, but it still gets very hot. It also discolored during my first trip.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light mug, March 15, 2013
I waited to review this until I actually used it and it has performed admirably. I personally love the size of it. Big enough to hold all the water you need to boil for re hydrating a mountain house or hawks vittles meal. Or you can pour the meal in it and boil the water with it. I did both. It is light, sturdy and useful. Great price for a good product. Not much else to say about a mug. I just wanted a cheaper alternative to the like 30 buck titanium mugs and this does nicely.

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, December 25, 2013
There's really nothing else like this available, except the heavier stainless ones. These hold a little more volume, but the rivets intrude on the inside a little bit. The handles are very light and can bend out of the bracket easily. At some point I will probably have to make new ones out of steel wire. Still works ok and is very lightweight and just the right size to boil water for a small meal and coffee.

Olicamp Hard Anodized Space Saver Mug