5.0 out of 5 stars Which light is this?
Published 10 months ago by Mike Jay

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light, crappy keychain
Published 12 months ago by R. Chesler

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light, crappy keychain, July 2, 2013
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
The light itself is great, but I took off 2 stars for the keychain. For something that costs about $25, the entire product should be quality, not just the main event. What good is having a great light if you can't hold onto it? Less than a week after I bought it the rinky-dink little black chain snagged on the lip of my briefcase pocket when I was putting it in there and snapped off. If you actually want to use it as a true keychain light, they need to make that way more beefy. I'm going to have to rig something up, maybe one of those airline cable rings MantaRing - Cable Key Ring - Waterproof (Black), but it's an additional expense I shouldn't need to get into after spending over $20 on a keychain light, AND the little silver colored triangular loop thing that the chain was connected to concerns me a little, too. It slips through the tiniest little piece of black tubing in the light itself, and it wouldn't take much to wrench it off. Hopefully it's stronger than it looks and will retain some kind of cable or something so I can keep this on my keys.

****************UPDATE***********************
Upping from 3 to 4 stars because I was able to fix the provided keychain to make the light viable for keychain carry without resorting to external products. So for those of you who want to use this as an actual keychain light, dependably, here's what I did: take a pair of small wirecutting pliers and separate the black chain from the black snaphook (and on the other end, from the silver triangular loop, but in my case that end was what already broke off so it was already free). The provided snaphook is pretty decent quality, it's the chain itself that broke for me. So I ditched the chain and just use the snaphook by itself to put through the silver colored triangular loop on the light itself, and also through my keychain split ring. Now it's securely on there without depending on any weak links. As an added benefit, without the extra chain length the light doesn't hang way low on my keychain anymore, either. So I'm up to 4 stars, minus 1 for having to modify it after it broke. As long as the triangular loop piece doesn't break within the next year, I'm happy with it, otherwise back to 3 stars it goes.

*****UPDATE 2**************************
Sure enough, it's a couple of weeks later, and today the little triangular loop on the light broke, causing the light to fall onto the floor off my keychain. Fortunately I was home when it happened. As sold, I cannot recommend this light for keychain carry. So I'm having to completely discard all attachment mechanisms that came with the light and special order a bag of tiny split rings normally used fore fishing lures, and I will use one of those to loop through the tiny hole on the end of the light (hopefuly THAT doesn't break), and then loop the tiny split ring to a normal large split ring that goes on the keychain. I don't know what's wrong with the designers that they completely ruin a good light with such shoddy attachment devices. Next stop 2 stars if anything else goes wrong with this thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Which light is this?, September 14, 2013
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
This item title (at writing) says it is an "Olight I3EOS". Yes, there is an older Olight I3 EOS model that is different in several ways. But the picture and everything in this description are clearly for the Olight I3S EOS, including the CREE XP-G2 LED. I`m going to assume that it is in fact an I3S and that is what my review is based on. Hopefully, these other reviews aren't for the wrong item. I`ve contacted Amazon about this confusing title, but they are usually slow to react if at all.

Review:

Given the size, price, battery type, and battery life, this light is an excellent buy.

I bought a Fenix EO5 not long ago and wished it was just a tad brighter sometimes. The Fenix is not a bad light, but for a similar cost the Olight edges it out in every category. The I3S is not just a tad brighter, it is much brighter on the high setting. The I3S low setting is just a little dimmer than the Fenix, and I do wish it were more equal, but there is always high when needed. I don't see myself using moonlight mode, but hey it doesn't hurt to be there. Same with strobe. Being a non-hardcore flashlight junkie, I love that "low" comes on first, then "hi", then moonlight. That's the order of usefulness I find them. It has great battery life for a AAA.

When ordering, I was worried the pocket clip may be loose or easily come detached. This is not the case, it feels very snug.

I did have 2 issues at arrival.

First, it was immediately obvious the key chain is junk. It was very easy to separate the triangle with my fingers, so I cant imagine how easy that would come off during use. Straight to the garbage. Luckily, I did not plan to use it, but if I did I would be disappointed with it. To be fair, in my case it would be an easy fix to exchange the small snap ring from the Fenix onto the Olight, problem solved. Not everyone would have a small ring laying around.

IMPORTANT TIP:
I also thought the cap was too easy to turn ON and wondered if it may happen in my pocket without me knowing it. Then I remembered another reviewer saying the rubber o-ring was so low that when screwed off, the o-ring barely touched the cap bottom and wouldn't seal moisture very well. This I found to be true, and by default, is a real problem. Again, however, I found an easy solution. There is a second grooved space above the first o-ring to put on one of the two supplied "spares". I`m pretty sure this was intended to be for a second o-ring by design because it fits so perfectly. This not only makes for a much better seal when turned off, it makes the cap just a little more snug so that I don't feel like it will get unintentionally turned ON in my pocket.

All in all, for me it turns out to be the perfect EDC light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good on paper, could be better in practice, August 18, 2013
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
The Olight i3s is a good light, as long as you don't care about the following two issues:

1) The head doesn't have much room to cover the o-ring. From the ON position, if you loosen the head by more than half a turn, the o-ring is already exposed. Twist a little more, and the head sits completely apart from the o-ring. The result is a compromised water seal, and a head without the friction of the o-ring to keep it tight. Compared to my numerous light from Fenix and Foursevens, this is the only light that has this issue, which I consider a short-sighted design flaw.

2) The beam hot spot has a green tint. The spill beam has a decent cool white tint, but the center hot spot is unmistakably yellowish-green, and it's much more noticeable than on any of my other lights. All the good paper specs, output and runtime don't impress me when in every day use the light puts out an ugly green-tinted beam.

With that said, here's what I like about it:

1) Good selection of high and low outputs
2) A large hot spot and wide spill beam cover a good area
3) Regulated output, with good runtime on a single AAA battery (I use rechargeable NiMH)
4) Reversible pocket clip
5) Sturdy and waterproof aluminum construction

The bottom line - it's a capable, versatile light, and offers a lot of bang for your buck. If you're not the picky type, you can't go wrong with this one. But in my case, compared to my other AAA lights, it simply did not live up to my expectations in practice, even with its superior specs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 26, 2014
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
I had purchased a similar light which broke the first time I dropped my key chain. Purchased this one hoping it would be better. I was not disappointed. It is durable and easy to use with one hand. Just twist on and off. The settings go in the order of medium, high, then low. Which is nice because the high setting is pretty bright and in a confined space it can ruin your night vision if you're not ready for it.

I did take the advice of others and got rid of the triangular clasp which attaches the chain to the light. It is the only flaw I have found.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great output and very well built., May 23, 2013
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
I picked this up because I wanted something around $20 or less that takes a common battery, small, light weight, and much brighter than my keychain carry (LRI Photon or Streamlight Nano). This thing is just about perfect. I looked at every single AAA LED flashlight I could find and this one was the best value and a great performer. The combination of output, features, and efficiency are among the best until you get to about the $30+ range. Even then it's a worthy competitor. The beam pattern is kind of somewhere between flood and spot, but closer to a spot light. The different mode brightness is just about perfect. The build quality is great. Everything is precise and sturdy. Low is a bit bright for me and I wish the chain was removable without bending things. Also I wish it was a bit brighter which may be asking too much since anything brighter is $30+.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, May 5, 2014
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
brighter then my maratac aaa.

lighter then my maratac aaa

cheaper then my maratac aaa

delivery faster then my maratac aaa

you'd be crazy not to try out a i3s.
im a flashlight junky, i love my maratac
but this light suprised me on how cheap it was and how bright it is.

yall never beat the quailty of a maratac or a more expensive option but either way for 25 bux every man should own one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light at a great price, April 18, 2014
Marcin (SF Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
I've carried this light for just over 3 months and have used it every day. The included Duracell battery has finally shown signs of depletion, where the light no longer will go into high power mode. Mid and low modes were still working. I've dropped in my favorite, a AAA Sanyo Eneloop. The i3 is back in action...

Overall, i'm very impressed with this little light. It has successfully kicked my 4 Sevens Preon 2 out of my pocket. The Preon 2 has two major faults. One, it's way too easy to accidentally turn on. The tail cap switch is too soft. The second is the length. Holding 2 AAA's it tended to move out of my jeans pocket when I would bend my leg. A flashlight isn't too useful if the battery is dead, or it's fallen out of your pocket :O)

The i3's shorter length has kept if firmly in my pocket at all times. The twisty-style of turn took some getting used to, but this light has never turned on accidentally in my pocket. The pocket clip now has some paint missing on the edges from living in my pocket for 3 months. No biggie. The clip itself is quite strong and I have yet to accidentally bend it (unlike my Preon). Except for the rather cheap clip/chain thing, the rest of the light is really quite a nice design!

Speaking of the little chain, it went in the trash can on day 1. I kept the little triangle metal piece, which now serves as a d-ring, holding a short piece of 550 paracord. The little lanyard makes it a lot easier to take it out of my pocket.

The light itself is plenty bright. Cycling the power on and off allows you to switch between medium, high, and low power, in that order. Medium is plenty for most applications. I use medium and low quite a bit, and high only occasionally.

In conclusion, this is a great little light to carry with you every day. It's small enough to be unobtrusive, but "big enough" to light your way in dark places.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, March 25, 2014
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
this is quite literally the perfect everyday carry light. small, lightweight, bright, good battery life and don't even know you have it on you it's so convenient to carry. now if you are in law enforcement or security obviously this light is not going to be large enough or have enough throw for your daily tasks, but for minimalist tasks it is perfect I would recommend this to law enforcement, security, EMT, mechanics, you name it. it is not a solve all, end all light, but for a light that is most definitely going to be brighter than any incandescent and be small enough to carry with you at all times it is excellent. even if you would prefer a larger or more powerful light this is ideal for a girlfriend or fiance as it is small enough to fit it is something someone will actually carry who is not the type to carry tools or gear on them. Olight, is very underrated and a excellent light company if you're interested in one of these by all means buy one!

4.0 out of 5 stars great light, March 12, 2014
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
Great light. Light weight and bright. Only issue is the weak key chain. A solid 4 stars and thats being a little picky

5.0 out of 5 stars Light for days!, September 15, 2013
This review is from: Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black
Brighter than expected and with a lithium battery and homemade headband it makes a great backpacking light! Very tough case makes this a light to last.

Olight I3EOS-BLACK Flashlight, 80 lm, 1 x AAA, Black