Published on December 2, 2012 by Cugel the Clever

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought this to replace my 4Sevens Quark MiNi AA ...
I bought this to replace my 4Sevens Quark MiNi AA keychain flashlight. Though this light is $10 (30%) cheaper, I would choose 4Sevens quark - it blows this Olight i3s away in brightness.
Published 1 month ago by thaddeus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very capable, though the older iTP A3 EOS is a bit better overall, December 2, 2012
This review is from: Olight Olight-i3S-Black-C I3S LED Keychain Light Flashlight, Black (Sports)
The Olight i3 is the newest version of a line of lights with the same basic design, including the older iTP A3 EOS and Maratac AAA. It is an excellent light overall, for offering multiple light levels, decent light levels and efficiency, a very good beam with a good balance between hotspot and spill (the area outside the center hotspot), and decent build with excellent waterproofing. However, there are a number of factors which make the iTP A3 EOS a potentially better choice:

1. The high mode of the Olight i3 is rated at only 70 lumens, and that of the iTP A3 EOS at 80 or 96 lumens, depending on the specific sub-model. This can make a noticeable difference in some circumstances and does represent a bit of extra functionality, though in many circumstances it wouldn't be noticeable.

2. The middle mode of the iTP A3 EOS is rated at 18 lumens for around 4 hours, instead of 20 lumens for only 2.5 hours as with the Olight i3. This is a major functional advantage for the iTP.

3. The low mode of the iTP A3 EOS is rated at 1.5 lumens for 50 hours, and that of the Olight i3 at 2.5 lumens for only 20 hours. Again, this is a major functional advantage for the A3 EOS. Either 1.5 or 2.5 lumens can be used to light one's way in deep darkness, read, etc. just fine; but the lower level of the iTP leads to twin advantages of much better runtime / power conservation, as well as less likelihood of destroying night vision when turned on for short periods.

In addition to these substantial advantages for the iTP A3 EOS, there is a non-negligible difference in the outer design, similar though it may be: the clip. On the iTP, the clip is held on by tension, and can be simply slipped off the light. This makes it more attractive for a person who doesn't want to use the clip on a day-to-day basis, for instance by dangling the light from a keychain. The Olight i3's clip is held on by screws, meaning that dismounting the clip leaves two tiny holes or else two unsightly, useless screws. On the other hand, for a person who prefers the presence of the clip, the Olight's design would be preferable as there would no longer be a possibility of the clip coming off (though I must say that the iTP clip stays on rather well, it is not proof against coming off).

If it weren't that this light represents a step backward in a few areas (the numbered ones above and not the clip difference), I would unreservedly rate it at five stars. It is still a tremendously good value compared to more expensive offerings from Fenix and other manufacturers, and is a wonderful little light in its own right. If I could give it 4.5 stars, I would likely have done so.

One thing that is likely to happen in the future is that more efficient circuitry and newer LEDs will constantly find their way into the cheaper lights such as the Olight i3, and so someday we will probably see an Olight AAA model that surpasses the runtimes and power of the iTP A3 EOS at a decent price point. At that time I will be thrilled, despite my preference for the older-style clip. Another thing to watch for in the future is the introduction of stainless steel and titanium models, sadly currently lacking from the Olight i3 line-up. (For readers who like oddball lights, the Maratac AAA is even still available in copper in a few places.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for!!!, April 18, 2013
I bought this Olight and the LED Wholesalers 90 lumen AAA light. The LED Wholesalers was $17.50 and is bright, with a very penetrating, though small, center hotspot. It only has 1 brightness level, make that 2, "on" or "off". It is not bad, but cheaper looking than the Olight. It lacks an o-ring for the battery compartment! It can't stand like a candle, but worst of all, it seems almost 50% bigger/bulkier than the Olight i3. I put it back in the box and will soon give it away. My friend's son will love it.
The Olight on the other hand is a serious tool that is of very high quality construction. It is the perfect size for my pocket. The 3 output levels are all perfect and usefull. The low 2.5 lumens is brighter and more useful than I anticipated. It is also the first mode when turning the light on, so it won't disturb others if you need to search a movie theater floor, for example. More importantly, it won't drain the batteries too much if accidentally turned on in my pocket. It is quick and easy to switch to medium mode, which is sufficient for most flashlight needs. Medium is brighter than my old 3 D-cell incandescant Maglite(maybe not with fresh batteries, but c'mon, the maglite is about 50x bigger!!!) I think the high is brighter than my Maglite even with the best batteries.
It is a nice even and wide beam. Maybe not the most natural colored light as some of my others, but I could still easily distinguish colors, so it is fine. I removed the clip and put the screws back in the holes(keeps it from rolling on a table). I also removed the key loop, since I will just stick it in my pocket everyday.
The Olight i3 is the PERFECT AAA flashlight. Please don't change a thing as I plan to buy a few more as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 AAA EDC flashlight., April 21, 2012
Very well done Little EDC flash light,the clip is solid and keeps the i3EOS securely in the pocket.Check reviews on Youtube.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little light, December 7, 2012
I do agree with the other reviewer comparing it to iTP A3. I prefer the A3 myself with a clip that can be removed more easily. On high-power, the i3 is not as bright as A3. They look very similar to each other, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Olight Forever, November 19, 2012
The more Olights I buy, the more I like them!
This is a GEM for a single AAA light. Very well made. The pocket clip is very strong, for sure won't fall out.
Light is very good quality. The 70 lumens here somewhat outshines the 96 lumens of the iTP A3 EOS. Well worth the extra $2.
The only downside for me is that you have to cycle through to get full power, no memory of last setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, October 13, 2012
This is the perfect every day light for me. I own four just in case I misplace one. I carry it every day with the pocket clip. It is very sturdy. The 3 levels of power are all used at their needed times. One AAA battery, super light and compact. I wouldnt change a thing. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny and bright, April 27, 2013
Amazingly bright for its size. I have been carrying this for over six months now. Batter life is plenty long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, September 29, 2014
This is my favorite, inexpensive but still very capable AAA light. The removable stainless steel clip is a plus as is the 3 mode user interface. Yes, there are brighter AAA lights such as the Peak Eiger, Maratac, and ITP, but they're more expensive. I really like the Maratac which goes for $29.95 in the basic black anodized aluminum model, but that is $7 more than the Olight. (Actually I went for the pure copper edition but that is almost $40 but is 138 lumens vs. 80 for the Olight). The Peak Eiger is $50 in just the black anodized aluminum but substantially more if you want copper or stainless steel. At only $12.50 my Fenix E01 puts out 10 lumens which, although cheap compared to the Olight, is not very bright. I prefer a bit more light than that. With Sanyo Eneloop or Tenergy low self discharge rechargeable batteries which can be recharged hundreds of times I'm quite happy with the Olight. For only $21 though I can beat on it or even lose it and I won't be too upset like I would with one of my more expensive lights. Overall though a great value for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect...., August 6, 2014
I really like this light, quality, size, and beam are excellent. I like that flash mode does not have to be cycled through when not needed.
My only complaint is that the lowest brightness ( "moon" ) does not come on first. You must cycle through low then high to get to " moon ". ( on to low - off - then on to high - off - then on to " moon " )
After all, when a very low intensity is wanted, ( perfect for stealth, not wanting to disturb others or to preserve night vision ) why are you forsed to cycle through low and high? Yes, you can cover the lens with your finger until you get to
" moon " but again I ask,,,,, why? All this said, I do like the light........... BTW, high is very bright.

5.0 out of 5 stars but this IS3 is by far my favorite EDC mini flashlight, November 16, 2014
I've tried many flashlights, but this IS3 is by far my favorite EDC mini flashlight. The moonlight mode is great for protecting your night vision or doing up close work. The bright mode is crazy for such a small flashlight. The single AAA battery seems to last forever, and I use this several times each day. It's so small I'm afraid I'm going to lose it though. I bought a second and attached it to my leatherman so I never leave home without it. Shoot, now I'm thinking of buying a third just because they're so great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›