5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!
I came across this book while killing some time at a local bookstore. This is an incredible book to have in your collection, if, for nothing else, the reasons below:
Published on September 18, 2000 by Jack Dempsey

1.0 out of 5 stars Near to nothing
Unless you just need another cookbook; I suggest you buy something else. I thought from the description this book would be great. Very little was to be learned and didn't even like the recipes. However the quality of the book is great; pictures are beautiful so it is wonderful for presentation.
Published 4 months ago by Selena Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, September 18, 2000
Jack Dempsey (South Miami Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
Incredible graphic design. A general rule of thumb--if Chronicle are the publishers of the book, it'll have a fantastic layout. These are the guys who brought to life Michael's devastatingly good vision in the "Tra Vigne" cookbook. Likewise, they also published Georgeanne Brennan's "Potager" and "Mediterranean Herb" cookbooks. The layouts are ALWAYS superb, and each and every release has beautiful photographs and dialogue. Which brings me to my next point.
Great dialogue. Offers a surprisingly thorough history of olive oil. Likewise, it offers a good summary on how to pick, store, and use different types of olive oils, as well as offering a mini glossary of olive oil colloquialisms (i.e., "extra-virgin" and "first-cold pressed", etc.). Also, Peggy's personality and humor come across very well and make the text quite an enjoyable read. This is something that just isn't normally found in many cookbooks who only see things through a step-by-step, color-by-numbers approach to cooking.
Of course, importantly,
Very good recipes. The recipes are extremely tasty. Most are amazingly simple, yet turn out spectacular. The approach is very simple, yet home-y...including ingredients typically found (or readily available) to the novice, home cook.
Get this book and I guarantee that you will not regret its inclusion in your collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic recipes, December 31, 1998
By A Customer
I came here looking for another book by Peggy knickerbocker! The recipes in Olive Oil are terrific. You don't have to be an Olive Oil expert to love every single salad or dressing she writes about. Even if you are a three thumbed guy like me you can turn out a five star meal with this book. Thanks Peggy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, August 25, 2011
This review is from: Olive Oil: From Tree to Table (Paperback)
I have loved having this book and have tried some of the recipes! Overall a winner! The recipes I have tried have been simple and delicious. This is a book I will use for a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Olive Oil: From Tree to Table, a must read for those who love the olive and cooking with olives and olive oil., July 10, 2011
This review is from: Olive Oil: From Tree to Table (Paperback)
My whole life I have loved the Olive, big black California canned olives, green Spanish, the Greek olives with the pits still in them makes me hungry just writing this. Now that I am an adult I have really learned to enjoy the Olive from the olive itself to cooking with olive oil. The great thing about Olive Oil: From Tree to Table is you learn about the history of the Olive from its origins in the Middle East to it's evolution through Greece and Spain and it's arrival here in the United States in California. In the book there are great pictures that give you an idea of how olive trees and olive groves look from around the world. The first half of the book explains the hows and whys of olive oil from taste and grades of olive oil, to how to buy and store your olive oil. The last half of the book covers how to cook with olive oil and contains many very good tasting recipes which I have tried because I found out long ago just because it is in a book and someone claims it to be a cooking book does not make it so. You can believe me when I say that I have followed some recipes I got from a few cooking books and the results could have injured someone if they happen to get hit by it or even made the dog ill. So the long and short of it is that Olive Oil: From Tree to Table is every informative looks great in your cooking book collection, and has pretty darn good tasting recipes in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and delicious!, March 14, 2008
This is an absolutely beautiful cookbook, with a clean, graceful layout and gorgeous photographs by Laurie Smith. Whether you want to see what many of the recipes look like or take a glimpse at the olive harvest in Chianti, you'll adore the full-color photos. This would make a wonderful gift book for your favorite cook.

The stories of olive oil harvest and production are fascinating, made all the more interesting and personal with details of particular trips the author has taken and the people she met along the way. You'll also learn what the various grades of olive oil mean, the range of tastes you can expect, how to hold your own olive oil tasting, and how to find, choose, store, and cook with the best oils.

The recipes are reminiscent of Mediterranean cooking: simple dishes of fresh ingredients meant to showcase their delightful flavors, and the author makes suggestions for which olive oils might go best with each. Many of the recipes come with delectable photos and notes on their origins or the author's experience with them.

Every recipe we tried from this book did an amazing job showcasing the flavors of its fresh ingredients---this is the kind of cookbook that encourages you to splurge on the best cheeses and herbs because it really will make a difference in the final product. My favorite was a beet salad that included spinach, a balsamic vinegar dressing, and blue cheese.

If you love fresh produce and olive oil, I highly recommend this cookbook. It's a gift-quality volume you'll want to flip through and use over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice, October 29, 2013
This review is from: Olive Oil: From Tree to Table (Paperback)
Great choice. Fun to read and very useful recipes. I use a number of them with some regularity. I'm especially fond of the Portuguese Fish Stew, which is quick, easy, and very tasty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Near to nothing, May 18, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, March 6, 2014
This review is from: Olive Oil: From Tree to Table (Paperback)
Great book, loved the biographies and history. Even has recipes!
Easy weekend read, now I am off to find some oil!

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Knew?, April 28, 2013
This review is from: Olive Oil: From Tree to Table (Paperback)
Who knew tha olives are so wonderful? For years I was familiar with canned pitted or plain black olives and several green ones. Then they started showing up in better shops and I had no idea how to use them or what they were UNTIL this book. It is a really great read for anyone interested in olives. We have gone to Italy to cook twice and this book makes some of our adventures real and a great addition because we know what we are looking at and for. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Olive OIl, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Olive Oil: From Tree to Table (Paperback)
Great book. Very good information. Well written.Provides history of the use of olives. Wonderful recipes, included. Would recommend to everyone who like olive oil.
So glad I purchased it!

Olive Oil: From Tree to Table
Olive Oil: From Tree to Table by Peggy Knickerbocker (Paperback - November 29, 2007)
$19.95 $14.90