Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: CalendarChange

on January 21, 2010
The magic and wonder begin when you open the calendar, which is folded in half inside a sleeve. A detailed 3-D "Santa's Workshop" appears, along with panels for each of the days leading up to (and including) Christmas. I had a little involuntary giggle when the workshop opened up--it's really cute.

Behind each of those panels is a small paper fold-up figurine, usually only about an inch tall, starting with Olive herself. At the beginning of advent she seems pretty lonely in the Arctic landscape, but by the time Christmas rolls around, she'll have a lot of company. There are some great little surprises, too, which I won't spoil.

I think this was the cutest, and most fun, advent calendar I've ever done. I was tempted to keep it after Christmas was over. It was really sort of magical.

I would worry about doing the calendar in a family with small kids (under about age five, I guess) because the little cardboard figures are pretty small, and not very sturdy: rough handling could ruin them pretty quickly.

But for an adult who wants to feel like a kid? It's GREAT.
on February 7, 2010
While my daughters (ages 4 and 1) loved punching out the little pieces every morning, they could never get them to stay on the little village. We were constantly looking for the pieces from the days prior, and finding them on the floor and under the little buildings, where they'd fallen. The art is great, the village is cute, but it's just not designed well.
on November 10, 2007
Our daughter Mina 100% freaked out when we opened this up.
Remember when they unveiled the statue of liberty?
Dude, that's nothing. This is a real beauty. A must have.
on November 30, 2009
My daughter and I loved the movie and the pop up book so thought this would be wonderful as an advent calendar. This arrived in good shape shrink wrapped and was shipped in a box but we are quite disappointed when we opened it. Each of the lift flaps are already lifted up (but book is new since was shrink wrapped. There is no surprise since you could already see the little paper characters pieces underneath. By the way, the little paper characters are quite small and stand by separating one little paper tab in opposite directons...meh... This is for a table display so you can't help but face the open little flaps. Would not buy again.
on January 31, 2011
We love this advent. There are small pieces to keep up with and so it might not work for the younger crowd. They will make up little stories and replay the main story all through the season.
on December 5, 2012
Only order if you also have the book, as this is a scene from the book. That being said, my grandson loved this.
on December 6, 2012
I read some of the less positive reviews but decided to order this calendar anyway. I am glad I did! My girls (ages 9 & 7) are enjoying it. The pop up village is super cute. Some of the reviews complained that the tabs arrived already opened. We did not have that problem. I did order a new one and maybe that is why. The girls are enjoying placing the little characters around the village. If you do the tabs correctly and have the calendar in a place where it will not be moved, the characters will stay in their place.
on December 8, 2015
My kids are having fun opening this every morning. We have read the book and watched the movie....I think you may appreciate the cute charecters more if you have seen the movie. This is a wonderful alternative advent calendar.
on January 27, 2010
I got this for my cousin's grandchild. I haven't given it to her yet but I think she'll like it. I thought it would be a little sturdier but with supervision, it should be ok.
on December 13, 2015
This and the book were a December gift for a 5 year old relative. I am told he loves it--although not as much as he loved the $45 Lego calendar last year!!