5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Oliver+S Design
Published on February 19, 2011 by J. Lemley

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Quality
Published on March 20, 2011 by b.griffin

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Oliver+S Design, February 19, 2011
This review is from: Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children (Hardcover)
I just adore this book. On my first look-through I was a little apprehensive that the ideas would be too simple but was so pleasantly surprised to find projects that have the classic Oliver+S idea of using patterns as a way to teach new sewing techniques. The instructions for individual projects are clear and the photographs are wonderful. There is also a section on sewing techniques as well as pattern layouts. All of the patterns are included inside the cover of this very sturdy hardcover book. This would be a great book for a beginner to advanced sewer because the projects vary in difficulty.

The projects included are:

penguin backpack
art smock
cozy winter hood
messy kid bib
juggling balls and drawstring bag
tea party doll dress
travel quilt
red riding hood
explorer hood
bear carrier
bear puppet bath mitt
puppet theater

So many really useful projects! I'll be starting with the "bear carrier" which my little one will be using for her doll. Next I think I'll make matching mother/daughter messenger bags. Fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing stuff you'd actually make, March 18, 2011
This book is full of projects that you'd actually want to make. I bought it because I was so excited about the Red Riding Hood pattern in particular. It's also great for both genders; if you've got a boy (or girl!) the explorer vest is great too. What I like is that the size range is so large (6 months to size 10) so we'll be able to use this for a very long time. My only complaint was that they attached the patterns with sticky dots and it ripped my pattern pages a little bit. So be careful when getting the patterns off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely - Classic Oliver + S Style!, February 23, 2011
This book is beautiful and inspiring from cover to cover. Oliver + S is known for their step by step instructions and detailed depictions of the steps necessary to complete each project. I recieved my book last week and so far have made the mittens and bucket hat. Both turned out beautifully! I'm new to sewing and I find learning so much easier when working from O+S patterns. You'll love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Making the virtues of O+S more widely accessible., March 29, 2011
Oliver + S sewing patterns have a fanatical cult following for a good reason: the clothing they make is stylish, clean, elegant, and hits the sweet spot -- the overlap in the Venn diagram where one circle is what kids want to wear and the other is what parents want to sew. Not every parent has the time to sew their child's clothes, though. What's so great about this book is that it covers such a broad spectrum of fun and practical projects: a tiny messenger bag! a baby bjorn-style carrier for a doll or teddy bear! a hat with animal ears! You may not have the time or (think you have) skills to make your daughter a fully lined Jackie O dress with hidden pockets and an invisible zipper (hello, O+S School Photo Dress!), but you can totally make the projects in this book. The key is Liesl Gibson's often-remarked-upon style of instruction. These are not the Vague Patterns sorts of instructions, and you will not mistake them for a haiku. They are explicit, plain, and detailed, and seem to have been written specifically for a person who doesn't have a ton of specialized equipment. These are a great confidence-builder if you think you might want to do more fabric crafts in the future.

The book itself is very high-quality. Thick, nice paper, well-bound, with great design and gorgeous photos that make every project look very appealing. The patterns are full size and include seam allowances, and a little box on the first page of each project lists specific skills (sewing curved seam, installing zipper) you'll be taught. I describe them as skills you'll be taught rather than skills you already need to have because when I made my first O + S project, the last thing I'd sewn was in 9th grade home ec class, {ahem} years ago -- and I still have been able to make every project I've tried, with great results. The patterns aren't printed on thin tissue, they're on nice, sturdy paper. My one issue was the glue used to stick them to the front and back inside covers. It's the rubbery type that you find sticking credit cards to statements when you get a new one, only this is a bit thicker and didn't roll off as easily as I would have liked. It's a cosmetic, rather than functional issue, and some other folks I've talked to said that using a hair dryer to warm up/soften the glue does the trick, but frankly I was too impatient to pull out the patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars TIP ON REMOVING PATTERN WITHOUT TEARING IT, May 30, 2011
Love this book. A huge thanks to those who cautioned about having a hard time removing the pattern sheets from the book. If you set a hairdryer to hot on low speed and heat up the glue on the inside covers, the pattern sheets come right off. Aim between the pattern & book and be patient. Use it on the pattern sheets as well to get the glue residue off. Works like a charm. I was hesitant to get this book, not sure if I would use that much of it. I'm so glad I did. Its full of great projects. I'm waiting for some lovely linen blend Japanese fabric to arrive & then I'm going to make the Art Smock for my girls. Can't wait. The instructions are clear & the book is beautiful to look through. I'll update when I've made a few things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, March 28, 2011
This book has fresh new ideas with extremely well written directions. A great value when you consider all of the ready-to-use patterns (no enlarging needed). If you've sewn with any of the author's oliver & s patterns you can expect the same quality and well thought out steps. I love the bento box carrier, messenger bag and the explorer vest which can be made in sizes 3 to 10!
I highly recommend Little Things to Sew!
I am editing this review. I finally completed 3 projects from the book...the tutu, the vest (the telescopic pockets were not as intimidating as I thought thanks to great directions!) and the puppet theater. The directions are extremely well thought out and written...better than any sewing project book that I've purchased in recent years. Each project came together beautifully....not a frustrating or confusing moment! The author is an amazing teacher and a great designer. So, I am still highly recommending this book but from a more practical perspective!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photography, neat projects, February 25, 2011
NYer (New York City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I read this book yesterday at the bookstore. I've also followed the creation of the book as discussed on the author's blog. It's beautifully designed and photographed, with lots of interesting projects. Almost all are for children, but at least one, a messenger bag, can be made in an adult size.

The book comes with patterns, which I assume is the reason for the list price of $27. I was pleased to see that there is some diversity among the numerous adorable child models.

I wouldn't cut up such a nice book, but I chuckled when I saw that the book has two paper dolls that can be detached and dressed with the garments featured on the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it -, February 14, 2011
This is a beautiful book. All the projects are very appealing. There is a beautiful tutu, a bear carrier, penguin backpack among others. All the instructions are detailed with pictures. There are projects for boys but not too many.

Definitely a keeper. I own a lot of sewing books but only keep the one that i consider really good or unique. This one qualifies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful book!, February 20, 2011
Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children, which is written by Liesl Gibson, evolved in a very natural way. The author had previously worked as a designer for Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren. When taking leave after having a daughter she was unable to find suitable patterns for making children's clothes. So she created her own patterns(!) for girls and boys up to age 12.

Twenty projects are accompanied by clear instructions, their level of difficulty, and beautiful pictures and full size patterns are tucked into the front and back of the book's hard cover. An excellent glossary explains basic sewing techniques in detail, for ease in learning new skills. One element of Oliver + S that I really appreciated is how it states which skills are required for each project, e.g., topstitching, gathering, buttonhole, etc. That immediately helped me to understand what would be required to accomplish it.

All of the creations are darling, and would be appreciated by any child for their imaginative qualities. And choosing their favorite fabrics gives children the chance to make the result uniquely their own. The child-size messenger bag, penguin backpack or bento box carrier (that opens into a placemat!) are excellent ideas for school age children. Soft blocks are transformed into a magical play town, which doubles as a charming decoration for a child's room. A simple bag filled with bright, colorful juggling balls would make a delightful handmade gift. And the doll or stuffed animal carrier, which is based on a real baby carrier, is not only adorable, but will help to keep beloved toys from being left behind while going out.

Looking at all the projects made me think of how cute it would be to make a mini version for a child's favorite toy or doll so they can match, like the no-tie scarf, the multi-colored tutu or the red riding hood cape! The set of paper dolls, which are printed on cardstock and ready to be cut out and dressed with the clothes and little extras from the removable dust jacket, are an extra bonus! All of the projects in Oliver + S Little Things to Sew have a timeless style, making it a keepsake for many years (and even generations) to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Quality, March 20, 2011
I have been a fan of Oliver + S patterns for a few years. The quality and originality of Liesel's pattern line really are leaps and bounds above what you can find from larger pattern companies. That quality and uniqueness is what hooked me in the first place, so I was very excited about the release of this book. I pre-ordered it and even received the book ahead of the estimated delivery date. That's where my excitement ended. I found the patterns glued directly to the inside front and back covers of the book. In other pattern books I've used, there is an envelope attached to the inside cover to store the patterns in-- this book has no storage for the patterns once they're removed from the book. I was a little hesitant to take the patterns out because I didn't want to tear the paper. Even though I was extremely careful, the glue holding the pattern in the book was so strong both the pattern and the inside book cover ripped. I am the kind of person who tries to take very good care of my patterns, especially if I'm paying more than a few dollars for the pattern, because I reused them. Having a rip in my brand new pattern (and book) was really disappointing-- not what I was expecting from Oliver + S.

Aside from that, the book has some cute ideas. I love the messenger bag project, the little backpack, the quilt, and the red riding hood cape.

Oliver + S Little Things to Sew: 20 Classic Accessories and Toys for Children