5.0 out of 5 stars Get this before the other Olivia books
Published on April 23, 2003 by Shannon Jenkins

3.0 out of 5 stars A somewhat dissappointing opposite book for Olivia fans
Published on June 15, 2002 by Ariel Pawlak

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A somewhat dissappointing opposite book for Olivia fans, June 15, 2002
Ariel Pawlak (POMPANO BEACH, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
I bought this book for my almost three year old daughter because she has shown an intrest in learning about opposites and we both love Olivia. My main complaint about this book is the same one I have for Olivia's counting. There are no new pictures of Olivia in this book. All of the pictures come from Ian Falconer's previous two story books Olivia and Olivia at the Circus. It seems like Mr. Falconer didn't feel like putting forth anything new for his two Olivia board books. Anyone hoping to get a further glimpse into Olivia's personality will not find it here. I am somewhat supprised that he chose to make such a simple opposites book when the original Olivia storybooks are for more sophisticated. That said the opposites are good simple ones that young children will understand for example up/down, quiet/loud, and my favorite plain/fancy (hadn't thought to teach my daughter that one). I think that this book is best for very young children. If your child is able to understand the two full length Olivia storybooks than there are better opposite books out there. Check out Chuck Murphy's Opposites if you have a preschooler. It is an interactive experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this before the other Olivia books, April 23, 2003
Shannon Jenkins (Mount Pleasant, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
We got this for our son when he was 3 months old, and this is absolutely his favorite book. We're not sure why, but this book has the power to calm him down almost any (and I mean any) time we read it to him. I think it may be because of the great pictures. We purchased this book before any of the other Olivia books and I think that's what the intention was; this book introduces younger kids to Olivia, before they're ready for the other books. As a result, we weren't disappointed at all and in fact are looking forward to the day when our son doesn't rip apart regular books so we can try the other Olivia stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plain, but fancy...oh so cute, September 8, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
LOVE this book!! Everyone is upset because the drawings were taken from his other 2 books, but that is how children learn...through repitition. My 2 year old reads it to me...we laugh a lot, especially at the "plain/fancy" pic's. with all the lipstick & pearls. So cute! Who would have thought of that one. Check out Olivia counts book too...7 accessories, how adorable!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful Olivia Performance., December 4, 2006
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
I can't explain the somewhat tepid reviews for this board book. It is compelling, a must-read you will not be able to put down (unless of course you are acting out the "down" page). You owe it to your toddler to get this book for bedtime, if only to puzzle out exactly how to explain "plain" and "fancy" to a two and a half year old. Good luck and enjoy!

-Fred

5.0 out of 5 stars Olivia's Opposites, May 15, 2011
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
One of my daughter Olivia's favorite books as a little one. Hopefully it will be her cousin's favorite too! We are spreading the love of Olivia the Pig and her super independent personality. A must have for all children's bookshelves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boardbook for babies/toddlers!, January 28, 2011
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
My daughter has a hard time with opposites so we got the Olivia book to try to explain that things are diffrent. I don't know if she still understands that there are oppisites, but she does understand that diffrent words mean diffrent things now. We have read the book so many times she now picks it up and reads it to herself. Love the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute! A must-buy!, November 11, 2010
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
Ian Falconer does it again with another fab Olivia book!! Short and sweet, my 8 month old LOVES to read Olivia books and these board books are great- they're durable, short on words (for that oh-so-short attention span), and have super illustrations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Olivia's Opposites hardback, December 1, 2008
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
love the hardback indestructible nature of the book, perfect for the two and under crowd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yea for Olivia!, November 29, 2008
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
Another one for my CA granddaughter's collection. She loves Olivia and who wouldn't. Excellent buy and nice seller to buy from!

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice opposite's books for Olivia fans, June 15, 2002
Ariel Pawlak (POMPANO BEACH, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olivia's Opposites (Board book)
I bought this book for my almost three year old daughter because she has shown an intrest in learning about opposites and we both love Olivia. My main complaint about this book is the same one I have for Olivia's counting. There are no new pictures of Olivia in this book. All of the pictures come from Ian Falconer's previous two story books Olivia and Olivia at the Circus. It seems like Mr. Falconer didn't feel like putting forth anything new for his two Olivia board books. Anyone hoping to get a further glimpse into Olivia's personality will not find it here. That said the opposites are good simple ones that young children will understand for example up/down, quiet/loud, and my favorite plain/fancy (hadn't thought to teach my daughter that one). I think that this book is best for very young children. If your child is sophisticated enough to understand the two full length Olivia storybooks than there are better opposite books out there. Check out Chuck Murphy's Opposites if you have a preschooler. It is an interactive experience.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Olivia's Opposites
Olivia's Opposites by Ian Falconer (Board book - June 1, 2002)
$6.99 $6.29