5.0 out of 5 stars Best Flip Flop
Published 15 months ago by JChing

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for fat wide feet
Published 15 months ago by ccdog

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Flip Flop, April 20, 2013
I have pain in the ball of my feet, back and knees if I don't wear flip flops or shoes with proper arch support. I've spent over $400 on orthotics for flip flops but that didn't work for me. Then I discovered Olu Kai flip flops, tried the Ohana, Amo and Kulapa Kai. Of these 3 the Kulapa Kai is the best for me. The straps on the Ohana are thick and tight although my feet aren't fat. The Amo sizing is bigger and don't fit properly, the top sole is made of suede or leather and not as soft and comfy as the Kulapa Kai. After wearing the Amo for 1 night my feet started to hurt. I'm back wearing my Kulapa Kai and now my feet are happy. I ordered 2 more pairs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for fat wide feet, April 28, 2013
ccdog (CA United States) - See all my reviews
I love Olukai sandals. They are pricey but in my opinion worth it as they offer excellent support for my feet. I decided to try out the Kulapa Kai but they just don't work out for my fat wide feet. I couldn't push my foot all the way in so there was a space at the top and the support for my foot was in the wrong spot. So, I will be sticking with Ohanas. The seller, Orthotic Shop is 5 star in shipping speed and packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a cushy relief! Order 1/2 to 1 size up, not for flat arched folk, June 22, 2013
This review is from: OluKai Kulapa Kai Sandal - Women's (Apparel)
Ahhh, what a relief these flip flop sandals are to me right now! I'm 9 months pregnant and just had my plantar fascia rupture, so I'm taping my foot. One of my issues has been buying cheap flip flops for summer at the local big box stores and wearing them all summer long. Here's one thing I've learned in life recently: it is not worth it to buy cheap shoes!

Feet are complex and we tend to abuse them. It's not until you have a painful injury that you realize how much better you should have taken care of your feet! I learned a hard lesson recently, where I usually spend less than $20 on a pair of flip flops and wear them all summer long, that you get what you pay for. Seriously.

So after my bout with a plantar fasciitis injury, I asked some friends who are runners--and thus pamper their feet--which sandals were their favorites. I was finally ready to spend more for quality. Olukai was the favorite across the board, and the reviews on ALL their shoes seem to be so good, so I finally ended up with a pair of these Kulapa sandals on the way...

They arrived nicely packaged by Amazon, inside a nice Olukai shoe box with tags attached. Just like buying them at the department store. The quality is impressive for a sandal, but here I usually buy super cheap flip flops so I guess these were bound to impress me. The underside of the straps that go against your skin is a nice soft fabric. The tread is great, but most important for me, the arch support is WONDERFUL and the material is so cushy! After years of abusing my feet, it's a treat to walk around in sandals like these. I will never go back to my cheapskate ways again when it comes to shoes. It's just not worth it. I didn't even know they made such quality flip flops until injuring myself...

Regarding sizing, because ordering online before trying anything on is always a risk, I would recommend ordering 1/2 to a whole size up. That said, I have wide feet and my feet are puffier than usual right now due to my 9th month of pregnancy. Before I ever had a baby I wore a women's size 8. After babies I was up to a 9. This is my third, so after reading a few other reviews that said these run small, I went ahead and nervously ordered the 10. I'm so glad I did! Width wise they're just wide enough. They're perfect in length. The straps are a *little* snug, but I'm keeping in mind 1) my feet are swelling right now and that will go away soon and 2) they will probably loosen a bit with wear. I hope this helps anyone else who is nervous about what size to order. I agree with the reviews I've read (both here and elsewhere online) that say to go up a little. Unless your feet are super narrow and you're usually just shy of, say, a size 9, maybe then don't go up to 10. But if you have wide or average feet and usually wear a 9 or 9 1/2, definitely go up to a 10. That's my opinion, though I'd also tell anyone ordering shoes on Amazon to be sure of the return & exchange policy first.

I'm loving wearing these SUPER comfortable sandals. The arch support is so lovely. I would say, if you have very flat feet, you might not want to wear sandals like this that are obviously made for folks with higher arches. I'm only just now realizing how important quality footwear is. I have my eye on even more Olukai shoes for both me and my husband, who also suffers from foot pain when wearing cheap shoes. The reviews on this brand seem to be overall quite glowing. I shopped around the brand a bit to find the sandals that would be best for me, I chose these because they sounded more "cushy" than a few other Olukai options, according to other reviews. If you have a question I will *try* my best to help, leave a comment at the end of this review.

Good luck and happy treading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, June 5, 2013
This item fits true to size and gives much more support then most flip flops. They are comfortable and look great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoe but exchanging, June 28, 2013
I read reviews and lots of people said it ran small so I wear 9 to 9.5 so I ordered a 10. They were a little wide and a little big. I do have a narrow foot so I will try the 9. They were super comfortable and I do recommend them

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit a bit narrow compared to the other Kalupa Kais I have, November 18, 2013
Bought the white strapped version of these and they are great. Thought the black would go with more outifts and look a little less sporty (for a "comfort driven" shoe these look great) but as I have started wearing them they fit a tad more narrow than the white ones. This means I get uncomfortable rubbing on the bottom inside of my foot where the straps attach to the sole of the shoe. Too bad, cause otherwise they are great shoes. Amazing arch support, look great, and you can tell they are well made by the visible construction aspects.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sizing, nice style straps, but sloppy footbed when wet, August 9, 2013
I had very high hopes for this flip flop. I am a long-time Chaco wearer, and wanted to have a flip flop that was a bit dressier- but still good for beach and boating. I got the dressier part- with the thinner straps this flip flop looks nice with skirts. There is decent arch support, not quite as good as Chaco, but good. The problem is the foot bed is awful when it gets wet. It is spongy and advertised as great around water, but not so much. Even if I wear these out in the dewey grass in the morning, I have to let dry out before continuing to wear them. When they are wet my feet slip around and I lose footing. If the footbed had some grips or grooves they would be better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Consistency in sizing would be a plus., June 18, 2014
christine blais (Park City, UT, US) - See all my reviews
After purchasing a pair of OluKai's in a retail store where one can try them on, I bought another pair of the identical style in the same size and...they were way too small. Buy your size and one size up for good measure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sandals, June 26, 2013
I have issues with my feet. These sandals are awesome and give my foot the support that they need. Comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible support and excellent arch, June 19, 2013
I have been looking for a flip flop type sandal with good support and arch for months. I need really good support because of my back. Most sandals give me really bad back trouble. I tried these on and immediately felt how different they were from all the others I had tried. I've been walking on it for a couple weeks now non-stop and my back is doing great! This sandal has such good support and a really good arch. I highly recommend this to anyone needing serious support in their shoes.

OluKai Kulapa Kai Sandal - Women's