5.0 out of 5 stars A Miracle Worker
This is a pretty amazing product. It works exactly as described on the container - it removes mildew, algae, and nasty stains on wood.

Published on June 30, 2010 by Daniel G. Lebryk

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Product with SERIOUS Drawback
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Miracle Worker, June 30, 2010
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner

I have a deck with closely spaced white vertical 2x2 railing bars. The deck is on the shady side of the house, facing North. For years I've tried to get the mildew off those rails, green scrub pads, soap, simple green... nothing worked; until I used this product. I used a garden pressure sprayer, everywhere I sprayed this stuff, the black mildew disappeared in about three or four minutes, absolutely no scrubbing.

Some down sides to this product. It does have a fairly strong sanitizer / bleach odor. Once you flood the area with water, the smell disappears. Those vertical 2x2's are painted with solid white stain (I use Sikkens) and I tried this on white latex paint - this product didn't harm the paint at all. The main part of the deck is cedar and stained with a semi opaque stain (Sikkens again). Where the stain was fairly thick and built up, the deck cleaner lifted the stain, looking a lot like the effect of paint stripper. I tried it on a little area of concrete, and it didn't do a great job removing black mildew stains.

You may want to heed the instructions about trying this cleaner on a small inconspicuous area. If I wasn't expecting to remove most of the stain from my deck, I would have been very disappointed by the stain lifting. This project went great because I don't have to paint those darn white railings. Remember to rinse the area really well with a lot of water.

This is a great product. I can't believe that it removes mildew this well. It is a miracle to me.

Since there isn't a great product description here on Amazon, I'll highlight some information from the label.
Coverage - 625-750sq ft. When used as directed it will not harm most plants (mostly spray your plants with a lot of water before and after). For use on: decks, wood siding, shakes, shingles, and fenes. Also recommended for use on concrete, brick, stucco, tile, and vinyl. It may return the original green color to pressure treated wood. May cause a fuzzy apearance to wood previously damaged by pressure washing or excessive weathering. Application to new wood or newly sealed wood may cause spotting. May cause darkening of redwood. For periodic cleaning of TREX decks and other composite decking, apply and scrub with a broom. Slight yellowing is normal and will fade in a matter of days. Do not allow to come in contact with metal, fabric, floor coverings, or lawn furniture.

Contents:
Water, Sodium Hypochlorite, Sodium Hydroxide, and Surfactant Mixture.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Product with SERIOUS Drawback, August 2, 2013
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
I installed a new cedar deck 8 months ago and was now going to stain it. I read the instructions, tested a small area, then applied the cleaner to the raw wood. After about 15 minutes (5 minutes longer than suggested on the package) I rinsed it completely. When the deck dried I had what the Olympic tech support person called "Frosting", a dried white mat of stringy goo on top of the entire deck. I was told I left it on way too long and the only way to get it off was to get a pole sander and sand the entire deck. Obviously they know there is a problem here and it would have been nice to state it on the warning label or instructions. They will refund my money but I still have several days of work to get the goo off the deck.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could kick myself that I didn't discover this stuff earlier!, July 14, 2012
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
I own an Anthony log home in a hot, humid climate and every couple years I'm cursed with a black, smutty buildup on the surface of the logs. The walls were stained ten years ago with two coats of Sikkens SRD. I had been using dishwashing detergent and a 3M scrubber sponge to remove the mold or mildew or whatever it is, but needless to say, that was a long and tedious job. I decided to try Olympic Premium Deck Cleaner and it worked like magic. I could kick myself that I didn't discover this stuff earlier. I just sprayed it on with a garden sprayer, waited ten minutes, and hosed it off with a garden hose - no scrubbing necessary. A couple of difficult spots required two applications. I saw no damage whatsoever to the Sikkens SRD stain or the painted trim around the windows. It contains chlorine bleach and lye, so you want to be really careful not to get it in your eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Product Out There for "Maintance Free Decking", August 4, 2011
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
Awesome product!!!! I have spend hundreds of dollars on other products (Corte Clean, PSC, etc) but NOTHING worked very well if even at all. ALways left spots. This product took all the mold spots off. You have do nothing more than spray it on, brush a little (mine was pretty severe), and rinse off. It was amazing! Looks like new!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, July 4, 2014
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
4 year old treated pine deck, never been stained or sealed. Used the Olympic deck cleaner per their directions. Ist application removed only 40% of dirt, stains and mildew. 2nd application did nothing more. Scrubbed the third application, no better result. Noticed the lumber surface is now fuzzy, a lot of raised wood fibers. Some to be expected, but this seems excessive. Will need sanding before finishing.

Back in the truck to the dollar store. Bought two gallons of cheap bleach for $7. Applied a with a pump sprayer on verticals and mopped the horizontals, let sit 15 minutes and rinse. Viola! A clean deck. No dirt, no stains, no mildew.

So,
$16 at Lowes for 2.5 gallons of deck cleaner that did not do a decent job of cleaning my deck with 3 applications and took about an hour.
OR
$7 for bleach and 20 minutes for a clean deck.

I do not use/purchase/recommend Olympic Deck Cleaner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding results on archaic foreclosure deck, June 16, 2014
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
This product does exactly what it says even on extremely weathered wood. That said, I found it more powerful on my project to apply liberally with a stiff deck brush and sweep along the grain to remove years and years of black staining, embedded dirt, algae and mildew.

I seriously though I'd have to replace this deck, or resort to a deck-over type of paint lie Restore, but after using this product liberally, I don't need to.

Follow the instruction exactly to avoid raising the nap of the wood -- there is lye in this stuff. Also, my deck was un stained...you will want to test as it would not surprise me if this stripped surface treatments. In cases less extreme than mine, a deck sprayer and no-scrub is likely adequate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, June 11, 2012
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
My deck was extremely dirty!
So we pressure washed it first and cleaned the residual gunk along with the vertical elements (siding, railings etc) and it worked fantastically!
It does have a bleachy smell to it like others said but it's not too much either.
Make sure to buy a sprayer if you don't have one already and a deck brush!
Seriously the people who think that they can remove years of grime and dirt without a little effort and elbow grease have weird expectations!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite!, November 23, 2012
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
I will use this product again! We first tried another product but were dissatisfied with the stains and mildew remaining so switched to Olympic Premium Wood Cleaner. We sprayed it on untreated wood and when dry, all stains and mildew were gone. No scrubbing!

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE PRODUCT AND OLYMPIC CUSTOMER SERVICE, July 24, 2014
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
This product is horrible. I left it on 10 minutes and it left a white residue all over the deck. It did not wash off with a garden hose, as it states it will. We had to go purchase a pressure washer and it still didn't come off completely. There is white residue all over our windows and siding from this. We were told by customer service that the white residue was "the deck being cleaned" and to sand it after. If we knew we had to spend hours upon hours of extra time pressure washing and sanding after using this we would have never used it in the first place.

I did not buy this on Amazon or at least they would have refunded the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, October 2, 2012
SPS2 "Tim" (Lincoln, NE USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
We have three decks, less than 2 years old, constructed of pressure treated pine, staining for the first time. I used Olympic Deck Cleaner last year on one of the decks and was fairly impressed. This year it was time to do the other two decks. I didn't feel like driving across town to get the Olympic product, so I swung into Home Depot and bought Behr Deck Cleaner. The difference was night and day. I dumped out the Behr product and drove 45 minutes one way to get the Olympic Deck Cleaner. The Olympic Deck Cleaner made my grey deck look like new wood, ready to stain.

2-1/2GAL Deck Cleaner
$39.98 $36.46
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.