Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Olympic Weightlifting: A DVD Guide to Learning & Teaching The Olympic Lifts
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

This volume represents a thorough presentation of the basic and advanced training to acquire and build the skills to successfully perform the 2 Olympic lifts. For those unfamiliar with Olympic lifting, this sport demands the development of flexibility, co-ordination, speed, and finally, power. Performance of the lifts represents a true measure of overall body strength and agility. All of this goes far beyond gym rat bodybuilding and power lifting (no disrespect - but what are you guys trying to accomplish?).

In more than 50 chapters, Greg Everret methodically works through the basics for learning and performing the lifts. This is probably the first time that I have seen both a precise description of the hook grip and the reasons to use it. Everret uses a unique approach to the lifts by breaking down the lifts into specific movements and exercises from the top down. Learning to lift from the floor is the last part of the lessons.

I am 65 years old and have recently returned to resistance training after a 10 year layoff. I wanted to take an approach different from a basic (and boring) conditioning regimen that focused on isolated muscle groups. Olympic lifting gives a true measure of athletic conditioning. My workouts now focus on learning the lifts and working on those movements such as squats, dead lifts, and presses that condition the muscle groups necessary to perform the lifts successfully.

See [...] for a good preview of the DVD.
on February 6, 2012
Having done olympic lifts for the last 10 years but not having instruction on them either in about 9 had left my technique with some holes. I have always been able to get a good amount of weight up but I wasn't efficient with my lifts. This video shows just about if not every movement involved in olympic lifts in full speed as well as slow motion with an occasional pause where the point of emphasis is. When dealing with movements that are done in a split second this breakdown of the movement is vital in seeing what you want your athlete (or yourself) to be concentrating on. I recommend this for all lifters novice and experienced as we can all take something from it, well worth the investment.
on May 22, 2012
This is a well made DVD, and presents a logical approach to learning the Oly lifts.

I follow along with the DVD at home using a light PVC pipe to work on my technique.

If you do not have access to professional instruction, and want to learn the Oly lifts, this is a good option.

The book covers much more than the DVD, but for learning the lifts, the visual format of the DVD does a better job than the well written instructions in the book.
on February 7, 2012
Coming to the Olympic Lifts as a CrossFit coach, Greg Everett has made an incredibly thorough and instructional DVD here. When combined with the accompanying book, you are really able to get inside the details and technique of each lift, including several different progressions. Highly recommended only if you really want to learn how to perform and / or teach the lifts. Not for anyone looking for a quick, "get fit now!" program.
on January 31, 2012
Crossfit led me to the Olympic lifts and I had no clue as to form & technique for these lifts. I would just muscle my way through them and it was ugly. This video not only broke down the form and technique it also made it simple and easy to follow. I am a visual learner and this helped me so much as opposed to looking at video's on you tube.
on February 6, 2012
This DVD set is a perfect companion to Everett's book which has extremely detailed descriptions and many pictures. However, if you are one who learns visually or by example, the pictures may not be enough. The DVD steps in at this point and puts all of the drills into full-color motion. Don't expect any new material to be presented here that's not in the book nor any "bonus" sections either. Simply put, it's the book transferred into a video format. If you don't have access to an Olympic lifting coach locally, this DVD will give you a good start on the mechanics of the lifts.
on April 27, 2012
This DVD was worth the purchase and the wait to be sent to NZ. It teaches the basics of Olympic Lifts and I have not seen anything else that comes close.
on October 28, 2012
A very thorough and instructive DVD covering 2 Olympic lifts. This is a systematic approach to teaching the Snatch and the Jerk. The DVD is divided into chapters covering each of the stages in the progression of the lifts. Subjects such as stance, grip, grip width, are covered. This is a great complement to the book of the same name. I found it helpful to actually watch the movements as they are described and the slow-motion view is also very useful. I have not watched or practiced these lifts extensively and have been accustomed to bodybuilding style training, so that is just insight to my background on the subject.
I found the systematic approach to the lifts was congruent to my style of instruction. The are no troubleshooting drills, but that would seem to be too overwhelming to cover in this DVD. I realize there are numerous variations to a lift and this DVD covers basic positions and movements and does suggest a few options due to physical differences. The DVD does not cover lack of flexibilty or ways to develop proper mobility, but that could again be another complete DVD in itself.
Overall I feel I gained enough from the DVD to teach basic movements. I will in no way ever be teaching competitors, so the depth of detail is perfect for my use.
on July 2, 2015
I'm not really qualified to critique a resource for learning Olympic weightlifting technique since I don't compete in it, but my context and experience may be useful for some that are looking into buying it. I primarily compete in triathlons and took up weightlifting to improve performance after some CrossFit experience. I began with "Starting Strength" and later progressed to this. The learning progression is very detailed, so I feel the DVD is sufficient to learn Olympic weightlifting with no other resource, though the accompanying book does provide deeper insight if you need it. The photography and production are superior to the "Starting Strength" DVD if you're familiar with that, and doesn't have the cheeseball music and antics you've probably seen in many an eighties and nineties fitness video. It's a serious resource that I think accomplishes well a noble goal: spreading solid knowledge of a sport that is very underappreciated in the USA.
on February 3, 2013
Very good, systematically progresses through a series of movements that eventually lead you to perform the olympic lifts. You can find a lot of this information for free on youtube and the internet in general, but this is from a reputable source and saves you the many hours of cutting through the BS, finding good quality videos, compiling it all, etc. However, it does not go so much into diagnosing common problems or how to fix them, or setting a lifting program, it is only how to do the lifts. But, once again, if you want that kind of stuff you can easily go on youtube. There is a book which is supposed to partner with the video but I did not purchase, maybe the information is on there, I don't know. Overall, good technique video, saves you a lot of time and research. The downside, it doesn't have everything you might wish it to, and you could conceivably find a lot of this yourself. Look up 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe on Amazon, you can read the incredibly (maybe overly) thorough instruction on how to do Press, Squat, and Deadlift (foundational moves for oly lifting) for free if you click on the 'look inside'. This is part one of the most useful video instruction I've found on youtube for performing the Clean: [...] And this is part 1 of the most useful videos I've found for the Snatch: [...] Learn the strength exercises, go through all three parts of each of these videos, perform the technique progressions, maybe find a lifting program on google, start light, and you should be well on your way.
Happy lifting!