Olympus 25mm f1.8 Interchangeable Lens
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: 25mm f1.8Change
Price:$399.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on February 13, 2014
UPDATED 2014-02-24

My impressions of this lens after about two weeks of frequent use are very good. All of the photos I have taken with this lens have been very sharp to my eyes, even at aperture 1.8. When pixel-peeping I can find some chromatic aberration, mostly in the corners, but the aberration is not too bad. Vignetting is light enough I have not noticed it in any of the photos I have taken. The autofocus speed is good, and might be limited more by my G3 than by the lens. The lens is slightly longer than the Olympus 17mm f1.8, but still small and it looks and feels good on the camera. The lens is made in Japan, has a metal lens mount, and the plastic body feels sturdy. The large focus ring operates smoothly and I found manual focusing this lens to be pleasant. And, miracle of miracles, Olympus includes a plastic lens hood, though they do not include a pouch. The Olympus 25mm f1.8 is more expensive than similar lenses for other systems, but the lens performs very well and is my pick for best normal lens for micro 4/3.

My primary use for this lens is indoor photography. Flash isn't an option for me, and I need a wide aperture to keep shutter speed high and sensitivity within an acceptable range. I am happy with the performance of the 25mm f1.8 for this type of shooting.

Budget conscious photographers like me may prefer to buy only one fast prime lens for low-light work, with an equivalent focal length of 35mm to 50mm. For micro 4/3 autofocus lenses, we now have several choices:

Olympus 17mm f2.8- relatively inexpensive and small, but modest maximum aperture and optical performance
Olympus 17mm f1.8- good performance with metal build and snap focus ring, but higher cost
Sigma 19mm f2.8- inexpensive, with max aperture of 2.8
Panasonic 20mm f1.7- small and sharp, but slow focusing and not cheap
Panasonic 25mm f1.4- good to excellent performance, but largish and most expensive
Olympus 25mm f1.8- good, perhaps excellent performance with intermediate size and cost

Of these lenses, I own the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and now the 25mm f1.8. Choosing between the two is a challenge because both lenses perform well. The field of view of the 17mm is about 40% wider than the 25mm. Properly focused, I find both lenses are acceptably sharp, but the 25mm has an edge in sharpness. I prefer the metal build and optional snap-focus ring of the 17mm, but the 25mm has a lower msrp. If I sell one of these lenses to finance some other gear, focal length/field of view will be the deciding factor.

Olympus has added another great lens to the micro 4/3 lineup with the 25mm f1.8, and I can recommend it to photographers looking for a fast normal lens.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 23, 2014
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: 25mm f1.8Verified Purchase
This Olympus lens has been long-awaited by the Micro 4/3 community, and I am pleased to say that Olympus delivered the goods.

Qualities:
-Sharp wide open throughout most of the frame with both near and far targets. Overall sharper than the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 (which I will compare to on several points below) when you consider edge performance.
-Less color fringing than the Panasonic even when both are shot on a Panasonic body (I tested both on my GX7 as well as E-M1)
-Pleasing/smooth bokeh rendering
-Fast autofocus (AF), comparable to the Panasonic
-Good AF performance even in very low light
-Much closer minimum minimum focus distance than Panasonic
-Smaller and lighter than Panasonic (balances better on the smallest MFT bodies) - much smaller if you include the dedicated hoods (finally Olympus includes a hood)
-Has solid build, despite being plastic and light. The "decorative cap" is more snug, less inclined to fall off as compared to the Olympus 45mm lens

There are lots of samples and analysis to back all of this up at Mu-43.com

For me, the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 is a definite keeper. A no-brainer. However, I will also be keeping the Panasonic lens for it's extra 2/3 stop of speed, more shallow DOF capabilty, and unique rendering character. Both are wonderful choices.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2014
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: 25mm f1.8Verified Purchase
I bought this lens hoping it might replace the Panasonic 20mm, which I love but is slow to focus and a bit wide for my walk-around lens. Took the 25 out for a very casual spin tonight and was Extremely happy. The sharpness wide open is dynamite -- made some small crops that looked as good as most full resolution shots I take. Focus is lightning, size is not really much bigger than the 20mm (think of it as a slightly shorter, but wider oly 45). And I always felt the 20 was a bit too wide for an only lens to carry. This one feels right on. Think this will live on my em-5 and it will be enough, where I always used to put on the 20 and stick the Olympus 45 in my pocket just in case.
on June 22, 2014
Color Name: SilverStyle Name: 25mm f1.8
I really adore this lens! I got it with my Olympus OMD EM 10 and I am blown away by the sharpness, creamy bokeh, and gorgeous color rendition in my final result. The lens makes autofocusing super fast (my relatives who have borrowed this camera with this lens attached are always wowed by the speed) and its lightweight and so, its almost always attached to my camera. Since its a 50mm equivalent, I feel like it makes a great walk around lens but in a pinch, I've used it for portrait photography and no noticeable distortion, color aberrations, or anything like what I was seeing with my Canon DSLR + 50mm 1.8 nifty fifty. I was worried that with the equivalent of the 1.8 aperture on a micro 4/3 would mean less bokeh, but I am still impressed by the soft background, sharp images, and superb color contrast. You would not be able to tell, if looking at the final product, that the image was from a micro 4/3 camera instead of a full frame (in my amateur opinion).
on February 28, 2014
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: 25mm f1.8Verified Purchase
This has replaced my 14-42mm kit lens with fantastic results. I took most of my images using the 20mm to 30mm range, so the zoom will not be missed. Instead I get superior contrast, sharper images, and a much faster lens so that I don't have to use high ISO or slow shutter speeds. The bokeh is beautiful and makes me want to use it wide open more often. I considered the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 before this purchase. Unfortunately, I found that it was huge and heavy by comparison. This defeats the m4/3 advantage.
on January 6, 2015
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: 25mm f1.8
This lens is one of the best deals in mirrorless photography! I own the 25mm, 45mm and 75mm olympus lenses as well as the 14mm panasonic and after a few months I can say the 25mm is my go to lens. Even with the other lenses I own I find I use the 25mm a lot for doing portraits as it is so sharp wide open it's not funny! This lens also handles flaring so well that I have almost found it impossible to make it flare! It is an all around lens that though it's not as wide as say the 17mm, it is so useful for everyday photography and again, I can't say enough about how sharp it is on my EM1. Recommended 100%
on February 24, 2014
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: 25mm f1.8Verified Purchase
Very good optics. Great looking lens and balances very well on my E-M10. I have the Olympus 17 and 45 primes also and i feel this one will be on the camera most of the time.
on February 26, 2014
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: 25mm f1.8
I recently bought a EP3 to delve into the world of photography and to apply what I've learnt.
I wanted to get a second hand 45mm f1.8, but held off when I read and learnt about the 25mm.
It's a very easy to use lens.
I took out a star because I thought the MSC capability should mean no focusing sound in the video.
But apparently there is. I hope it's not due to the EP3. I hope more people can help comment on this.
Other than that, I really love this lens. Pricing is good, built quality is good, comes with hood (good!)
And a keeper for most m4/3 users. It's hard not to get this lens if you do not have a similar lens for your Olympus m4/3 cam. And not forgetting equivalent human eye vision focal length.

Hope to hear from fellow users on whether the lens focusing sound could be heard on video recording.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 21, 2014
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: 25mm f1.8Verified Purchase
So far I'm very impressed with the lens. Coming from enthusiast level Canon DSLR and lenses, but I switched to m4/3 with this lens being the first for my O-MD E-M10.
Glad I switched to the new system. Image quality is great and so glad to be rid of the size and weight of the Canon lenses.
Amazed by what such a small lens can do!
on March 4, 2014
Color Name: BlackStyle Name: 25mm f1.8Verified Purchase
A great, lightweight lens with excellent image quality. Pretty good close focusing. Good ability to isolate one's subject and fast enough at f/1.8. The included lens cover was a nice inclusion as I understand Olympus usually doesn't include them, like my 9-18mm didn't.

At first, I thought it was going to be all metal, but plastic is fine too. Very fast to focusing on the E-M10. A little tight on the lens mount, but not a big deal.

The odd sized filter thread is annoying.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations