Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

*: Black|Style: 25mm f1.8|Change

on January 6, 2015
This lens is one of the best deals in mirrorless photography! I own the 25mm, 45mm and 75mm olympus lenses as well as the 14mm panasonic and after a few months I can say the 25mm is my go to lens. Even with the other lenses I own I find I use the 25mm a lot for doing portraits as it is so sharp wide open it's not funny! This lens also handles flaring so well that I have almost found it impossible to make it flare! It is an all around lens that though it's not as wide as say the 17mm, it is so useful for everyday photography and again, I can't say enough about how sharp it is on my EM1. Recommended 100%
33 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2014
This Olympus lens has been long-awaited by the Micro 4/3 community, and I am pleased to say that Olympus delivered the goods.

Qualities:
-Sharp wide open throughout most of the frame with both near and far targets. Overall sharper than the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 (which I will compare to on several points below) when you consider edge performance.
-Less color fringing than the Panasonic even when both are shot on a Panasonic body (I tested both on my GX7 as well as E-M1)
-Pleasing/smooth bokeh rendering
-Fast autofocus (AF), comparable to the Panasonic
-Good AF performance even in very low light
-Much closer minimum minimum focus distance than Panasonic
-Smaller and lighter than Panasonic (balances better on the smallest MFT bodies) - much smaller if you include the dedicated hoods (finally Olympus includes a hood)
-Has solid build, despite being plastic and light. The "decorative cap" is more snug, less inclined to fall off as compared to the Olympus 45mm lens

There are lots of samples and analysis to back all of this up at Mu-43.com

For me, the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 is a definite keeper. A no-brainer. However, I will also be keeping the Panasonic lens for it's extra 2/3 stop of speed, more shallow DOF capabilty, and unique rendering character. Both are wonderful choices.
66 comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2014
I bought this lens hoping it might replace the Panasonic 20mm, which I love but is slow to focus and a bit wide for my walk-around lens. Took the 25 out for a very casual spin tonight and was Extremely happy. The sharpness wide open is dynamite -- made some small crops that looked as good as most full resolution shots I take. Focus is lightning, size is not really much bigger than the 20mm (think of it as a slightly shorter, but wider oly 45). And I always felt the 20 was a bit too wide for an only lens to carry. This one feels right on. Think this will live on my em-5 and it will be enough, where I always used to put on the 20 and stick the Olympus 45 in my pocket just in case.
on June 22, 2014
I really adore this lens! I got it with my Olympus OMD EM 10 and I am blown away by the sharpness, creamy bokeh, and gorgeous color rendition in my final result. The lens makes autofocusing super fast (my relatives who have borrowed this camera with this lens attached are always wowed by the speed) and its lightweight and so, its almost always attached to my camera. Since its a 50mm equivalent, I feel like it makes a great walk around lens but in a pinch, I've used it for portrait photography and no noticeable distortion, color aberrations, or anything like what I was seeing with my Canon DSLR + 50mm 1.8 nifty fifty. I was worried that with the equivalent of the 1.8 aperture on a micro 4/3 would mean less bokeh, but I am still impressed by the soft background, sharp images, and superb color contrast. You would not be able to tell, if looking at the final product, that the image was from a micro 4/3 camera instead of a full frame (in my amateur opinion).
on December 10, 2014
Now that I own this lens I use it more than any other; and I have 4 other MFT lenses. My next fastest lens is f3.5 so being able to step down to f1.8 is a big improvement. The only time this lens is not useful is in tight spots when you need something wider. The construction is excellent and it feels good in the hand. Yes it's a little tight on the camera but this is due to the metal lens mount, it will loosen up a bit with time. The focus speed when attached to my E-PL5 is fast and accurate.
review image review image review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon March 18, 2015
Well, there's not a lot I can say about this lens that hasn't been said already. It is an excellent performer with almost no downsides. Price is the only real drawback, as $400 is frankly too much to pay for a traditional 50mm field of view, with no special abilities like macro and a respectable but not extraordinary f/1.8 aperture, not to mention a plastic build (though very excellent - I have no qualms about the build quality). However, the street price for this lens is coming down, and I was able to find a new copy for $270. For that price it is a stellar choice.

I've used the Olympus 17mm f2.8 for quite a while, and until recently a Sigma 30mm f2.8. I never found a consistent use for the Sigma, even though it was an excellent lens, it was rather too long for general use. If you're wondering whether the extra 5mm makes a difference, it really does. The 25mm is long enough to flatten out perspectives, but it seems like you can fit a lot more into the frame, making composition easier, than with the 30mm. Perhaps it's just due to the fact that the 50mm field of view is so classic - it's been drilled into our brains through the images we've seen.

I am by nature a wider-angle type of shooter. I like the 35mm equivalent a lot, however there is a neatness about 50mm images that drew me to them. Flattening of perspective is more noticeable, giving images a more painterly style than the 35mm. The enhanced subject isolation, combined with excellent contrast and sharpness, makes the lens a joy to use. An unexpected feature is the flat front element, which reminds me of old OM lenses and is easy to keep clean. The included lens hood looks nice and is deep enough to make a difference. All around, this is a classic made to top-notch quality.
on February 27, 2014
This has replaced my 14-42mm kit lens with fantastic results. I took most of my images using the 20mm to 30mm range, so the zoom will not be missed. Instead I get superior contrast, sharper images, and a much faster lens so that I don't have to use high ISO or slow shutter speeds. The bokeh is beautiful and makes me want to use it wide open more often. I considered the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 before this purchase. Unfortunately, I found that it was huge and heavy by comparison. This defeats the m4/3 advantage.
on June 6, 2014
This lens is really great on my E-M1.

It does come with the lens hood, so it seems that Olympus finally listened to customers on that issue. Use the hood! It will improve your photos and protect the lens at the same time.

Solid and dense (heavy) for its size, it's got some great glass inside.

In terms of price for performance, this is a great lens.
on April 30, 2016
This is the first lens I should have bought with my camera. I'll be snapping mundane stuff that just turns out amazing. The depth of field adds a lot to even the simplest photos. This is also a great low light performer. I try to avoid flashes whenever possible and this captures enough light to take clear, hand held shots even in poorly lit homes like my own.

Using a prime is a little odd if you're not used to zooming with your body and can be limiting in public places where you might not have access to get the shot you want. On the flip side this can also make primes more fun and rewarding and is a good way to not get too reliant on zoom.

I use this on Panasonic bodies and have not had any issues yet.
on August 25, 2015
- I find it to take sharp pictures.
- It's relatively small size is nice when you want to be discrete. Like when you're shooting on the street, farmers market, or a fair.
- The bokeh is plesant and soft.
- It comes with a lens hood.
- No complaints about this lens have come up for me.
review image