5.0 out of 5 stars Powers my E-P3 like a champ!
Published 17 months ago by P.K. Frary

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware old stock batteries
Published 2 months ago by Michael L

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Powers my E-P3 like a champ!, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Olympus BLS-5 Lithium-Ion Battery for Olympus E-PM2 (Electronics)
I had a difficult time buying the OEM battery for my 18-month old E-P3, the BLS-1. I found a few OEM BLS-1 selling for absorbent prices and I suspect were old stock. Apparently the BLS-1 battery and its charger (BCS-1) are being phased out due to a Japanese law banning trickle charging (the low power topping off at the end of the charge cycle). So I bought a Sterlingtrek BLS-1 clone but it shorted out within a week and nearly fried my camera (and hand!). After a little research I learned the newer BLS-5 battery is interchangeable with the BLS-1, the difference being the BLS-5 has an extra contact used by the charger (but not the camera). Unfortunately the official word from Olympus is it requires a charger with the 4th contact, the Olympus BCS-5 Battery Charger for BLS-5 Battery, so I bought a new charger as well. Luckily, the Amazon prices were pretty good for both items, about the same price as buying a single old stock BLS-1.

Not much to say other than the BLS-5 charged up fine in the Olympus BCS-5 Battery Charger and worked perfectly in my E-P3 as expected, yielding about 300 images per charge. But what a relief after the overheating Sterlingtrek BLS-1! Although the Amazon description warns the Olympus BCS-5 Battery Charger is only for the BLS-5 battery, my BLS-1 battery charges perfectly in it as well. Upon a little more testing, I found the BLS-5 charges fine in the older black BCS-1 charger. Glad I don't have to carry two chargers and having a backup charger is good. But, sheesh, why does Olympus say these batteries and chargers are not compatible when they all work fine together?

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., July 20, 2013
I purchased a cheapo Wasabi replacement battery 2-pack/charger deal before, and after a few months the battery stop working, puffed up and almost won't come out of my camera. The second battery never did work. So although this one cost more, it wasn't too bad and so far seems exactly the same as the original battery. Holds a good charge and I'm glad I went with the real deal. I would recommend the same to anyone who cares fro their camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected., September 22, 2013
Am using it with my Olympus EPL5. Works just like the battery that came with the camera which makes sense since it is the same battery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware old stock batteries, September 29, 2014
I purchased two of these batteries in April 2014 from a third party seller and one has failed. It no longer holds a charge. I didn't notice this when I received the batteries, but the batteries have dates on them. One was dated Nov 2011 and the other was Oct 2012. The 2011 battery failed after less than 5 months of use, but past the 30 day return period and Olympus has no warranty for batteries. I don't know if these batteries were used before, but at minimum they were old stock. The batteries must be dated for a reason and presumably because they have a finite life, whether used or not.

3.0 out of 5 stars Battery is dated October 2010, September 27, 2014
The date shown in the battery is October 2010. The product description should note that this is an old battery. The original battery in my camera was from 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars I do find that manufacturers products (batteries specifically) perform better than aftermarket ones, October 20, 2014
It's a battery. It works. What more to say?
I do find that manufacturers products (batteries specifically) perform better than aftermarket ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A spare is always needed, April 29, 2014
Looks and works just like it should and mfg. by Olympus, should last like my other spare batteries I carry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable backup battery, April 29, 2014
I wanted a second/backup battery and this holds a charge for as long as the original BLS-5 battery that came with the Olympus E-PL5 camera. Too bad original manufacturer batteries are relatively expensive, but that's the way it is. I've tried a couple of different third-party batteries with other cameras, and none of them come close to holding a charge for as long as original manufacturer-branded batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars BLS-5 Lithium, April 11, 2014
Fast delivery and perform just as per my expectation. Have been using it for a month with no degradation. Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, January 13, 2014
Not easy to find, but if you want to honor your manufacturer's warranty to the letter, this is the battery to get.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›