5.0 out of 5 stars A dSLR that both a pro and a consumer can enjoy alike
I have had this camera for about a month and after using this, I felt compelled to write this review, especially after seeing some comments from first time SLR owners.

Published on July 21, 2007 by S. Sen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but with serious flaws
I've liked Olympus point and shoot cameras as well their film SLRs so I couldn't wait to get the E-510. It's a delight. The ample control fit my hands well and are in the right places. The menuing system is great. I thought that thanks to my less than great old eyes I'd use the LCD for composing most of the time. I was wrong. The viewfinder is simply wonderful and I use...
Published on August 25, 2007 by Steve Bobker

5.0 out of 5 stars A dSLR that both a pro and a consumer can enjoy alike, July 21, 2007
This review is from: Olympus Evolt E510 10MP Digital SLR Camera with CCD Shift Image Stabilization and 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko Lenses (Electronics)

My advice to them, please think carefully before buying a dSLR. If all you are going to do is set this camera in Auto mode and shoot, you are making a mistake, an expensive mistake. E-510 or any other dSLR is not designed to excel in this department, definitely not as good as an advanced P&S.

If you want better image quality (color, dynamic range, low noise at high ISO, interchangeable lens etc) and convenience (IS, more buttons, speed), DSLR is the way to go. With power, comes the responsibility. You should also be ready to take the challenge of trying out different settings and spend some time in post processing the RAW images. You can get dynamic range that no P&S can match, if and only if, you are ready to spend the time on it. JPEGs straight from camera will not be significantly better, unless you tweak the settings for each situation perfectly.

Most complaints about this camera are about focusing, under or over exposure. You have to learn how an SLR camera works. There are different metering and focusing modes and you have to choose carefully. Also you have to decide whether to shoot aperture priority or shutter priority based on situations. You can also choose whether to shoot for high key or shadow areas.

No SLR in auto mode can give you a perfect shot of a person when the sun is behind him/her. Either use the proper P mode, or you use spot metering (or at least fill flash).

When something is moving, shooting with slow shutter will also result in blurry image and an SLR expects that the person behind the view finder knows these basics. So my advice is, read the manual and try out all the options and find the modes that suit your needs.

Also, the default ESP metering on this camera is a bit off. It's actually set to ESP + AF in factory. In my experience, if you change Menu2 > Metering to ESP, it works better. You might also consider turning the Noise Filter off for ISO 100 shots. It makes the images sharper (even with sharpness -2) and you can get details that you can't get in any other entry level camera at this moment. But, you might get some visible grains.

What I like -

1. IS, all my lenses are stabilized and I can get sharp shots sometimes at 1/30 when using focal length of 300mm in 35mm equivalent.

2. Clean high ISO, up to 800 is completely usable with little noise reduction. ISO 1600 gives you better or same results compared to other brands, only Canon is half stop ahead.

3. Image quality. The details with noise filter off, the color and the sharpness are wonderful. The dynamic range is not best in it's class, but with RAW files and a little time with Lightroom, it's not really an issue.

4. SSWF. The dust buster in this camera works, unlike other brands (read Canon/Sony/Pentax). Never got a single dust peck on the sensor and I change lenses frequently.

5. Live view. This is the only one in this class at the moment to have this feature. Another Olympus model, E-330 has it, but it was too expensive. This feature really helps when you have time and your eyes are tired. Also when you are shooting macro in an awkward position or using a manual focus lens and want to do precise focusing with the live view magnifier. This is a life saver for me that I can still use old manual focus lenses.

6. The size, weight and ergonomics. With the kit lenses you get 28-300mm range covered and NO OTHER brand can get you this quality in this size and weight. D40x is as good in handling, but lack of IS (and the price/weight of their VR lenses) was a deal breaker.

7. Speed. It's always ready for next shot. In drive mode, you can get 3 frames a second unlimited in HQ JPEG. With RAW, it's limited to 10 shots at the same speed and after that speed reduces to around 1.6 fps. Better than most in it's class if you have a fast card. I don't miss a shot these days due to camera.

What I don't like -

1. Though viewfinder is brighter than some previous Olympus models, it could be bigger. LV helps, but it's not usable always. A small issue considering my eyes aren't too bad.

2. Focus confirmation using manual focus lenses. Though I didn't buy this camera for this purpose, it would have helped a lot. Especially when Panasonic L1 and Pentax models have it, it's just a software fix they have to do so I am hoping they'll release a firmware with this fix.

These are just minor gripes and the second one is easily fixable. All in all, I would say this camera is a winner in the hands of a little experienced person, but a new owner will just need some time to get to know this little gem. IMO, it's the best camera in it's class today if you can live with the "Made in China" sticker on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oympus E-510 D-SLR, October 6, 2007
As a professional photographer I have used Cannon and Nikon cameras. I purchased an Olympus E-500 two years ago and was impressed with the sharpness, color capture, and other features. Needing a second camera I tested several Cannon and Nikon pro-level cameras. I found the Olympus E-510 equal or superior to each in edge-to-edge sharpness and color capture using color charts and sharpness charts. Additionally, the ease of use of the E-510 was a contributing factor. I am also impressed with the four-thirds system lenses produced by Olympus; they weigh less then their equivalent lenses in the Cannon or Nikor lines and I feel give better edge-to-edge sharpness. The only negative is the narrow line of pro-level lens in the Olympus line.

I recommended the E-500 to my photography students and now I'll recommend the E-510 as the cost factor is important to students. If you are looking for a solid D-SLR I highly recommend the E-510. I suggest that consideration be given to purchasing the Olympus "high-grade" lenses rather then the kit lens for the advanced photographer. The kit lenses are fine for the consumer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Low light focusing - Olympus, do you hear?, August 30, 2007
Vlad G (Boston, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I would give this camera five and a half stars, really, if not for one issue.
And a pretty serious one.

But first the good news: the camera is great.
It works blazing fast, controls are excellent and so is the level of control.
All important SLR options, all those many competitors usually "reserve" for "professional" models - like all metering modes, auto ISO limit, custom WB, mirror anti shock, remote control capability, manual focusing after AF and even shutter release priorities - are there.
Anti-dust system and set of two lens gives you worry free 28-300 (10.7x) range, image stabilization works surprisingly good, widely rumored problem of dynamic range that is half EV below the competition is not visible in 99.95% of the pictures. The rest 0.05% requires microscope and 100% zoom to point out the blown out highlight.

All things considered - an excellent camera and value for money.

Of course, there are many things one may complain about, like slow kit lens (and fast lens are available, but expensive) or aggressive noise filter at high ISO (and it could be turned off) or one second delay at start up (never bothered me much) etc. But all these issues are pretty minor and every camera has list of them.

***
Now the bad news - low light focusing. I just do not understand that.
Here it is: below certain light level camera just struggles to get focus. That level is somewhat below standard living room illumination - so it does not bother many people in standard situations, but try to shoot at the dark bar or at the street in the evening - and change in camera behavior is dramatic. Suddenly it may take several seconds before focus is locked - way too long. Using flash to illuminate target does not help much - flash keeps strobing and strobing and strobing again and finally, when focus is locked it takes additional second to charge it for the shot. I rarely meet people who would stand still for that long... They think I made three pictures of them already, when I accomplished, well, none!

I perfectly understand the technical issue of focusing in low light, but... I am old Olympus E10 owner - and it have never bothered me much with this issue. Cheap Canon A70 have never bothered me with this issue either - well at least nobody expects performance from $200 compact camera.
May be these old cameras are not trying to get perfect focus when they cannot, may be they limiting time to some reasonable interval - I do not know, but Olympus should fix the problem. It is a show stoppers.

For now I turn off AF illumination and switch to shutter release priority in low light situations - but I need to recognize it first. I prefer to have slightly out-of-focus pictures, than no pictures at all. Olympus, do you hear?

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Disappointed, July 5, 2007
DoubleDAZ (Peoria, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
Have had this kit for a week now and am throughly pleased with my purchase and Amazon's service. I ordered the kit Sunday evening, paid $8 for 3-5 business day shipping, and it arrived Wednesday afternoon, 2 days in my book. I am a noob at digital SLR photography, though I have used older film SLRs, and was able to get some amazing fireworks shots last night using the 40-150mm lens on a tripod (M-mode, 8s, F16, ISO 100, SHQ JPeg).

I am totally amazed at how easy it is to change settings. The buttons are well placed, at least for me, and the menus are very intuitive. I "glanced" through the manual before the camera arrived and began shooting as soon as the battery was charged. I've had nothing but fun, none of the usual frustrations with something new.

It's a lot of money, but I can't believe it won't last me many, many years and the kit lenses are very good, though I'm already drooling for the EC14 (and an EC20 would be even better to double the range).

If there is one negative I can think of it's getting used to shooting with 4x6 prints in mind. Oly uses a 4x3 format and that doesn't translate directly to a 4x6 sheet of paper. Mind you, I don't print often, but it's something to consider, especially if some of your family/friends are computer shy. :)

The other negative might be the Master 2 software. It is painfully slow, but does a good job for free software. I personally use Picasa for most things and Paint Shop Pro when needed.

EDIT: I just found out Amazon has a 30-day price guarantee. This means I will be getting a nice $88 refund on my credit card. Have yet to be disappointed with Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, July 10, 2007
Craig (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I got this camera after reviewing & trying out several different brands at local stores. Compared with the others, the only one I liked better in the hand was the N80, which is considerably more expensive & lacks anti-dust & body-based image stabilization. The viewfinder on this camera is smaller than you're used to if you've shot 35mm SLRs for years, but it's not bad.

Now that I've been using this for a couple of weeks, I like it even more. The body-based image stabilization works well, I can hand-hold the long lens of the set (150mm) for a 1/20 second shot, and it comes out very clear, no visible shake. I can't really comment on the usefulness of the anti-dust capabilities, but have switched out lenses several times, & no dust spots are apparent on my shots. Image quality is great, but the Oly software is worthless. Terrible UI, and the included software that can do decent post-processing of the raw files is trial only. Photoshop Elements w/ Adobe's raw processing & batch conversion from the camera's ORF files to DNG's works great for me. The kit lenses are good, very comparable to old Zuiko lenses from the manual focus 35mm days. Fewer lenses are available for this system than for e.g. Canon or Nikon, but most of the needed lenses are out there. Only thing I really miss is a good fast prime (25mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 would be very appreciated, Oly!) Overall, I'm totally pleased w/ this camera & would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real winner from Olympus, June 11, 2007
N. Livadas (Between Europe and the US) - See all my reviews
Here are my initial thoughts on this Olympus. The E510 makes its predecessor (the E500) proud. This camera will definitely keep the DSLR competition honest and only benefit us consumers! I am thrilled to-date. (3 days with it)

PROS
* Image Stabilization
* Great Construction, feels well made
* Light weight (lighter than my friend's Pentax K100)
* Phenomenal Kit Lenses
* Lightning fast AF with 2 very good & light Zuiko kit lenses
* Image quality, lower noise at higher ISOs
* Great battery life (500+ photos in mixed shooting conditions)
* Image sensor dust removal (at bootup)
* Both CF and xD cards

CONS
* Not a con, but Live View is quirky. When I use a DSLR I prefer to use the viewer, but I can see how some folks would LOVE to use the LCD. Its more of personal thing and if you dont want to use the LCD you just don't.
* No others yet

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific travel DSLR, July 31, 2007
I'm a long time photographer that places high value on construction quality and ergonomics, My original search lead me to a Panasonic DMC-L1 and nothing I looked at in the $1000-$2000 range had the quality feel and traditional ergonomics of the L1. For studio work I love the L1 but its size and weight make it a less ideal travel companion.

One of the original premises of the 4/3 system was being able to offer high quality pictures from a system that was less expensive, smaller, and lighter. Olympus seems to be offering several products that fit that premise. The latest being the E-510

The E-510 body is relatively light, very rigid and sturdy, with a quality feel. The two kit lenses (14-42 and 45-150) have the same cheap, horrid feel of other "kit" lenses, but these are considerably smaller and lighter and of higher optical quality than most. This two lens kit is capable of very high quality pictures over a large zoom range, while not taking up much space or weighing much. Its ideal for travel where you want a DSLR instead of a SuperZoom. Olympus offers plenty of high quality lenses and accessories if you want to make this kit the basis for a much larger system. I've added an 18-180 lans and Fl36 flash to mine so far.

The E-510 is as capable as anything else in its price range. Why would you or wouldn't you want to purchase it over its competition?

Pro's
- System small size, light weight, and high quality
- Effective Sensor self cleaning (don't underestimate this one)
- Sensor based Image Stabilization (a bit less effective than lens based but much cheaper)
- Awesome battery life
- Live view

Con's
- 4/3 sensor smaller and intrinsically less sensitive than larger APS sensors
- 4/3 viewfinder a bit dimmer and smaller making manual focus more difficult
- Creative program modes not as well done as some of the competition

What's missing?
- An auto ISO that permits 800 and 1600
- A sports mode that senses movement and adjusts aperture and ISO to ensure a frozen image
- Permit base changes of creative mode settings (currently lost when you leave and reselect a creative mode)

All of these missing things could be addressed in a firmware upgrade. Are you listening Olympus? ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything it says it is, August 8, 2007
I've owned this camera (with the 2 lens kit) for about a week now and have spent this time getting to know it. It's exactly what I expected - which is a good thing. The IS works well - don't expect too much though, a tripod is still required in many situations - and the good performance at high ISOs (something previous Olympus dSLRs were often criticized for) combined with this gives you more options in more situations. People who have owned the e-500 have consistently said that the high-ISO prformance on the e-510 is much improved. I cannot comment on this or make a comparison, but I do think that the high-ISO performance (and many people underestimate how important this is) is excellent and the equal of its competitors.

Liveview works as advertised, it takes some getting used to due to the special properties involved but can be very useful in some situations (i.e. macros (which I don't take) or low-light situations w/ tripod using MF on the liveview zoom). It is also very nice being able to see a live histogram. The LCD screen doesn't tilt out but again, truth in advertising, you can see it well in direct sunlight (if a little dark) and indoors you can see it at ridiculous angles. It is important to remember, however, that this does not work in the same way as it does on a P&S. The mirror must flip up in order for the camera to focus, resulting in lag times that are often longer than the typical compact camera. One of the main advantages of a dSLR is the speed that can be achieved both for focusing and framing shots. In other words, for those of you taking a step up to dSLRs, this camera is not meant to be used using Liveview as the main way to set up your photos. What it is, is another option providing you with more flexibility and the possibility of getting certain shots that would be difficult/impossible without it.

Image quality in my opinion is quite good. In many reviews you are advised to turn off the Noise Reduction, and decrease sharpness (-2) to compensate and after fiddling around with these settings I agree. Remember to decrease sharpness across the board (Vivid, Muted etc). I would recommend only using noise reduction for very long shutter speeds.

The 3-point AF can seem limiting at first but if you take the time to frame your shots properly it is no hindrance. If anything it's making me consider this all important aspect more than I used to. And in other situations, when you don't have much time, the simplicity of it can be an advantage. Less is sometimes more. Focusing in dark lighting conditions can sometimes be difficult. In these circumstances, when stability is available, I like to use the LV enhancement + MF.

It is a comfortable camera to hold, and I especially like the ability to not only use the wheel but the 4-point controller to set things up while looking through the viewfinder. Once you get the hang of the menu layout it is actually much faster. 4/3 system makes sure both the body and the lenses don't break your back. Whether or not you like what this system offers, is a matter of personal choice. I use my camera almost exclusively for street and travel photography and so for me the decision makes itself.

The user interface is very intuitive, and I must say is a huge improvement over the last Olympus I owned (the C-8080wz - an absolutely fantastic P&S btw). It must be said that the excellent impression the previous Olympus I owned left on me was a factor in deciding to go for Olympus again this time.

RAW+SHQ are huge. I can fit 81 on a blank 2GB card. So make sure you have sufficient space. Write times are very good and the buffer space is excellent. I personally do not have a need for continuous shooting but those of you who do will be happy with this camera's capabilities. Battery life is also another plus, it takes a while to charge, but lasts very long.

Canon and Nikon will always dominate the market but thankfully there are other companies pushing the envelope in other directions, which ultimately benefits us, the consumers. And Olympus is foremost among them.

With excellent image quality and good high ISO performance, a quality build (though it uses plastic it feels much less "plasticky" than much of the competition), the best kit lenses available, good ergonomics and low weight and a (in my opinion) very user friendly menu system, the e-510 is a fantastic camera and I do not hesitate to recommend it. Personally, it is ideal, for the type of photographer I am and the types of pictures I take. But combined with its trifecta of features not offered (together) on any other dSLR in this price range (liveview, IS in body, effective dust reduction), Olympus have really hit a home run.

I wonder what the reaction (and sales) would be like if Canon or Nikon produced a camera like this. And I wonder why they haven't.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've waited 10+ years for this camera, June 21, 2007
Troy Dawson (Santa Cruz, CA United States) - See all my reviews
When I first saw this camera I fell in love with its compact form factor. After reading the full hands-on of the E410 from dpreview I pulled the trigger (since I'm on vacation this week). Just got back from Yosemite, shooting in automatic mode at SHQ (3648x2736) operation was easy even though I'm a DSLR newbie and I was mostly hiking not photogging.

Performance is quite phenomenal compared to my Camedia from 1998. . . I tried doing quick panos by shooting in full auto (~3fps) and just spinning in place (taking around 25 frames in 8 seconds). Two panos this way came out great, the third one I started on a shadowed area so the rest came out overexposed.

I've got the 8GB Extreme IV CF card in it, so the camera has a capacity of ~1000 SHQ shots.

Battery life so far is decent; one charge lasted all day yesterday, at least.

Zoom range on the shorter kit lens was acceptable. Due to the dusty environment I didn't pack the longer one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Digital Experience, November 30, 2007
Some years ago, I switched from film SLR cameras to digital point and shoot with very satisfying results. I finally decided to reenter the SLR market and after much online research, settled on the Olympus E510.

I have taken several hundred photos with this camera since I purchased it and have been quite pleased with the results.

The reviews I read panned the camera's ability to focus in low light and I have found that to be a shortcoming, but unfortunately I can't compare that with other digital SLR cameras so I don't know if it is Olympus-specific or how Olympus compares to other cameras. It still tends to get the job done for me.

Just a couple nights ago I had to use the camera with no flash at an indoor dance recital at a local high school. Expecting low light, I manually set the ISO (film speed) to 1600 and managed to get some nice shots using no flash, a 300mm (equivalent) zoom, the anti-shake setting and hand-holding during dance routines. The photos weren't perfect, but I got some keepers of my grandaughter, something I couldn't do with my point and shoot.

Beyond that, I added a circular polarizer which has really enhanced my outside photos.

By experimenting in flourescent and various outside lighting conditions, I also determined that white balance may be the most critical setting in the camera to arrive at proper exposure. Generally, I have found that in outdoor photography, using the shade white balance setting yields better looking photos than using the automatic white balance setting.

There are many adjustments and settings available with this camera (infinitely more than in my old film SLR cameras) and it takes time to try them out to arrive at the best balance of settings, but the time is well-spent in my judgment. The extensive control the camera gives the operator means that I will have many years of fun tinkering with settings.

The kit lenses which come with the camera are very nice and photo quality is excellent.

I have even tried (for the first time) using RAW format just to see what that is all about. Frankly, I have found that if I get the white balance set correctly and use high resolution, my photos are so good that RAW format adjustments make no significant improvement over the original. You can check that out for yourself by using the mode that saves both JPEG and RAW photos of each shot. That is too space consuming for regular use as you will fill up your compactflash card (RAW files are 10 MB and highest quality JPEG files are about 6 MB).

One note -- the kit does not come with memory cards to store your photos. So I was fortunate to have an old Olympus memory card until I was able to buy some high capacity compactflash cards. Had I paid more attention, I might have bought a compactflash card at the outset as well. You might also consider ordering a second battery as you can't just slide a couple AA's into it, you have to have an Olympus or compatible battery. And it takes 5 hours to charge a battery using the kit charger, so you don't want to run out of power. Compatible batteries cost about $20 at Amazon.

This is a very good value for a digital SLR overall.

SUPPLEMENT:

Since I reviewed this item, a very new extensive review at dpreview. That is a great source to get an exhaustive explanation of the camera's capabilities and see how it compares to other cameras.

Also, setting white balance for particular conditions is a snap. It involves a couple button presses and pointing the camera at a white sheet of paper or white cloth -- the white balance is based on the white object and so there is automatic and accurate correction for whatever the ambient light is, whether sun, shade, tungsten, or one of the many different temperatures of fluorescent.

Live View was a great asset in composing photos of my grandkids for Christmas cards. I put the camera on a tripod and used Live View to put the girls where I wanted them and fired away. It is hard to believe that this feature isn't in all digital SLR cameras.

ARRAY(0xa37f3750)