on June 22, 2010
I bought the Canon G10... a great p&s digital camera, but quickly realized that I really wanted a DSLR.

I used and loved the Olympus OM-2S film SLR for many years, so I decided to sell my G10, throw in some extra money, and get a digital SLR that would make me feel like I used to feel while shooting my OM...

The E30 is THAT camera. I haven't regretted my decision at all. The E30 takes great shots.. and the kit lens is pretty nice too... better than some Canikon piece of junk.

Rebel-what? D90-who?

Olympus might be the underdog, but who do you like to root for in the movies? That's right... the underdog. And sometimes the underdog just doesn't get the respect he deserves.

If you have some old Olympus OM glass already, you can't go wrong... throw the adapter on there and shoot those old manual lenses. What a treat. There's a 2X crop factor (a 50mm lens becomes a 100mm) but it's still GREAT glass, and the pictures look amazing.

There are rumors that the Olympus E-5 (pro model replacing the E-3) might be out soon... so if you are hardcore, or want to spend a lot of cash, you might want to wait. But for the average almost-pro shooter, I think the E30 is a damn fine camera.

And don't listen to the 4/3 sensor haters out there. I love the 4/3 sensor. I want to marry the 4/3 sensor. I love the way "4/3 sensor" sounds as it rolls off my tongue. All of this full-frame sensor stuff is nonsense. How many HUGE 21 megapixel files do you need on your hard-drive?

I challenge anyone to look at a well-made shot from the E30 and honestly say that it doesn't look fine.

NIKON: played out.
CANON: boring.
OLYMPUS: hot.
on December 14, 2010
I have owned my Olympus E-30 for over a year now and have taken thousands of photos many of which you can see at [...]. I debated for quite a while between this and the Nikon D90. At the time the Olympus E-30 was just a little more money in the kit that I got, but since I didn't have any old Nikon lenses or anything I had to worry about working with it, and since I knew of the quality of the Zuiko lenses and after comparing images taken under lab conditions on [...] I opted to go with the Olympus. I have really been completely happy with this awesome camera. If I could change one thing, based on what I know now I would have bought the body only and then bought the Zuiko 12-60mm f2.8 lens. I bought the kit with the 14-42mm zoom and have since bought the 12-60mm. What a GREAT combination the E-30 and the 12-60mm lens make. If you are thinking about a quality DSLR camera and don't care about the fact that it doesn't do video, like I didn't, and don't have lenses from Canon or Nikon that you are trying to use with your new DSLR then I would highly recommend the Olympus E-30.
on February 10, 2010
I own the Olympus E-510 and previously purchased the E-3. I sold the E-3 because I found it too heavy to carry all day in the wetlands photographing birds. The E-30 has excellent image quality, auto focusing, ease of use and is just the right weight and ergonomic fit for me. I find the E-30 extremely intuitive to use. I would have liked the body to be weather sealed like the E-3 but that would have made it too heavy. All in all, the camera is a joy to use and I would recommend it (and have) to anyone wanting a quality product at a fair price from Amazon.
on March 8, 2010
Upgraded from an e620. Wanted the larger body to balance with my larger lenses (12-60, 70-300). The autofocus speed is better, overall operation faster. Viewfinder is much better than e620. Really enjoy looking through VF now, the high eye point is really great too. Lot's of people say that image quality is slightly better than e620 which shares same sensor/pipeline. I agree. It is slight, but noticeable.

Amazon's shipping was fast, no problems there. Price is right. Got mine for $899 with lens. Price fluctuates, so check before you buy.
on December 27, 2010
The E-30 does what it is made to do exceptionally well, take great pictures. For a semi-pro or enthusiast photographer, the E-30 is great. Combined with the Zuiko 12-60mm is a powerful combination capable of capturing phenomenal, professional looking photos in almost any situation.

The camera has many options, this also adds to the complexity. Once you find you preferred setting you could shoot for hours and achieve your goal of consistently taking great pictures.

This camera is not the biggest, but it is not a compact camera. If you use the auxiliary batter pack its quite large and will not fit into most camera bags.

Many online critics rate the Canon and Nikon over the Olympus brand, but the Zuiko lenses make up for a great deal of what the image sensor may lack. I believe the E-30 Olympus and higher end Zuiko lenses surpass the Nikons and come close to the comparable Canons. If you can get an E-30 from someone looking to upgrade to a new E-5 you can catch a great deal and have a great value.
on August 23, 2009
I don't think you will fine faster focus on another machine, except in low light. This camera has more options than you can imagine and it works quite well. I sent the camera in because I had a focus issue with the 70-300 lens and I wasn't sure if it was the lens for the camera. It ended up being the camera and it took less than two week from the day I sent it to the day I got it back. Even if the camera wasn't so good, I would still give a good review just for how good Olympus performed. The image quality is very good. Anymore I don't think you can go wrong with any brand of Dslr, get the one that does what you want.
on May 8, 2009
One week after I bought it the price went down $170. I went through 3 emails with Amazon looking for a refund of the difference and was basically told tough S***, they no longer give buyers that courtesy and I was out of luck. I don't recommend buying anything from Amazon over $100 from now on or you may find yourself in this position feeling bitter about how you were treated. On the plus side the camera is wonderful, the best I have ever owned and I am 62 years old. I believe it would only be better if I hadn't been screwed by Amazon on the price.
on December 3, 2011
I'm going to be honest. This is a powerful, great camera, if you are NOT a noobie and if you have a crap ton of money to get really, really awesome lenses. If you don't have thousands of dollars to spare and you are really new to professional photography with dSLR's, DON'T waste your money.

You really want to go for a Canon or Nikon and start out with mid-range dSLR's and work your way up. Even though I'm pretty advanced and I have a really expensive Canon now (in addition to this one), it's so much easier for me to get my hands on great lenses and flashes and things for my Canon for a much cheaper price than it ever was for my Olympus. My poor Olympus is totally neglected right now and I'm probably going to sell it. If anyone wants this product off me, please comment on this review. Happy snapping!
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse