5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LITTLE CAMERA
I really love the Olympus FE-5020. It produces very acceptable images for this price range. Olympus is a brand you can rely upon. I also own an Olympus Stylus 500 which I bought 5 years ago and it has produced many great images.

Published on October 18, 2009 by Phenix

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks good for the price, but lots of flaws
My Canon SD850 got claimed by the sand dunes recently so I needed to replace it. I was looking for something with a wide angle lens at a decent price. After some research I decided to purchase the Olympus 5020 and here are my thoughts after some time with the camera:

Published on October 14, 2009 by Russell N. Balliet

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LITTLE CAMERA, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Olympus FE-5020 12MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle Optical Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD (Dark Grey) (Electronics)

I see that the two previous reviewers here have decided to return their cameras. Don't let that turn you off this camera. I am very fussy about picture quality. I was a professional photographer for 20 years before I left the business. Sure, there will always be cameras that take better pictures, but for this price range you won't go wrong.

The thing about this camera that really appealed to me is the 24mm lens. I also own a Panasonic FZ28 and a Sony HX1, and while they are both superb cameras, they only go down to 28mm on the wide end of the zoom. The Olympus FE-5020 nicely fills that gap. Another thing I love about the FE-5020 is it's compact size. It fits in my jacket pocket and will go with me everywhere. That's a bonus because you can't take photographs when the camera is sitting home because you didn't feel like lugging it around.

I don't find the controls too small. I'm a guy with large hands and have severe carpal tunnel syndrome but I manage nicely in navagating the camera settings.

It is true that you will probably need to manipulate the photographs on a computer. I believe that the beauty of digital photography is the ability to work on a computer rather than breathing the toxic fumes of a darkroom. To me, digital photography is 50% camera work and 50% computer enhancement. If you're not onboard with this, you may want to look elsewhere. The images I enhance on the compter are great. You can either use Picasa which is free or the Olympic Master software included with the camera. I start out with Photoshop Elements 6, enhancing contrast and color saturation.

I opted for the dark gray FE-5020 because I'm old school and think a camera should only be one color--black. I was happy to discover that the dark gray is actually closer to a dark navy blue so I got pretty close to having a black camera.

The neopryne Olympus camera pouch advertised by Amazon fits the camera beautifully and is very nice. I'm going to order another Lithium battery because I'm running it down in about 2 hours of shooting. It would probably last most people longer than that, but I'm always checking each image, zooming in and out of the captured image which really eats up power. I also walk around with the camera powered up when I prowling for shots.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone interested in the camera. I've had mine for about 5 days and just love it. I will try to post a photograph in Customer Images, but I've tried this before and my pictures exceed the size they allow you to post.

Enjoy your image making. I hope you enjoy photography as much as I do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks good for the price, but lots of flaws, October 14, 2009

First off the image resolution is decent, but the colors are very flat and don't seem very accurate. Sure you could fix this in post processing, but you shouldn't have to do that. The camera does seem to do well inside with flash as long as the subject is within a few feet. I actually probably could have dealt with the color issue, but the more I played with the camera the more I got annoyed by some other things. Olympus boasts about AF tracking and face recognition, but these modes do not operate simultaneously, you have to pick one or the other and at that neither seems to work well. Also, the stabilization that is a standard feature on most cameras doesn't operate all the time, but has to be selected as a separate shooting mode. One really odd thing that I couldn't figure out is when in the standard "P" mode the camera doesn't shoot in full 12mp, but only 5mp; I went through all the settings, but couldn't figure out why this was happening. Macro mode leaves a lot to be desired, the documentation claims 3cm, but the best I could do was about twice that distance. There's pretty much 0 user control; in some settings you can change the white balance and ISO, but that's it.

Most of the controls are within the menu system, which is easy to navigate, but it means a lot of button pushing to change the type of AF or shooting mode. There are a lot of different scene modes to choose from, but if you want to change the one you're using you have to cycle through all the shooting modes back to the scene mode and pick the new one you want. In my opinion all this stuff should be at the fingertips; not buried in menus. The construction of the camera also feels cheap, the D-pad on the back feels very flimsy and "clicky" when used and the battery door feels like it would snap off very easily. Overall the construction and controls are very clunky and poorly designed.

The bottom line is that this might be a decent first digital camera for someone, but if you're someone like me who has used digital for 7-8 years you'll quickly see that Olympus left a lot on the table with this camera. I really wouldn't recommend this camera to anyone as there are many cameras of this size and resolution out there; I had hope for the 24mm wide angle, but more cameras are offering wide angle now too.

Mine is going back and I decided to spend some more money and get the Panasonic Lumix FX580

4.0 out of 5 stars Olympus FE 5020, January 17, 2010
Great little camera for a very reasonable price plus free shipping from
Amazon. The 24mm wide angle lens makes point and shoot much easier, as it eliminates the hassle of having to back up to include everything or everyone in a close in shot. I would have prefered a written instruction manual as opposed to the supplied CD. The "quick start" instruction sheet is, I think, too brief.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely a great camera, February 10, 2010
I bought this camera after my daughter lost my Sony CyberShot. I was upset when she lost it because, not only was it expensive but I had really liked that camera. Yet, when replacing the Sony, I didn't want to pay that sizable amount again so I starting looking at other options. I liked the looks of the Olympus and the price was reasonable. It seemed to have the same features as the Sony and long ago I had an Olympus camera that had been a good quality camera.

This Olympus camera, I just love. It is as easy if not easier to use as the Sony. For the first "outing" with the Olympus, we went to Universal Studios in Burbank, California. The group consisted of five females and if you have ever been with a group of women that size or larger, then you know that we will all go in different directions all at once. So a lot of the pictures I took were on the run holding the camera up in the air. I would hold the camera at almost arm-length away and looking at the display to make sure my aim was decent enough to get the picture I wanted within the frame. Then I would just press the little button on top.

Even with running and jiggling the camera, all the picture came out clear. None of them were blurry or out of focus. And the color quality is vivid and crisp. It is amazing that such a little camera at a low to moderate price would take such great pictures. I actually think it is better than the Sony. It is the most user friendly, point and shoot camera I have ever owned. I highly recommend this camera to anyone looking for that style of digital camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera to buy!, March 21, 2010
A Kid's Review
This camera topped my older top of the line nikon digital camera. Thank you who put a bright smile every day.

1.0 out of 5 stars sent it back, July 4, 2010
My current camera (Cybershot S750, 7.2 MP) is very shakily standing on it's last legs and having all kinds of trouble, so my husband purchased this Olympus FE5020 to replace it. Sorry to say, we had to send it back. I spent a couple of days taking pictures with it and was unhappy with the muddy colors it produced (trees which are in their bright green summer glory looked like they were greyish olive green), with it's inability to take pictures that were in focus when the zoom was used and the target was moving at all, it's inability to take a good macro picture (I like taking close up pictures of bugs and flowers, which, even with the macro setting turned on, it couldn't do- at about 5 inches away the flower was still very blurred - the macro function might as well have not existed for all the good it did), and it's inability to get a decent autofocus overall. I probably deleted a full third of the pictures I took due to blurriness. In a test between my breaking down Cybershot and this FE5020, my husband took some pictures of me standing still in an ordinary room lit by sunlight. It took six shots, trying with and without the flash, before the FE was able to take a picture that wasn't blurred or unacceptably dark! Hardly useful if you are trying to actually capture events or a moving baby. It probably had the worst autofocus I've ever come across in 20 years of using point and shoot cameras. In contrast, the Cybershot had all six in perfect focus and decent exposure without any fuss, purely in Auto mode. So the FE got sent back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Olympus With Ease, March 25, 2011
Mary Irizarry (NORTH BERGEN, NJ, US) - See all my reviews
Great camera, simple and easy to play with. Great photos with alot of details being a 12mp. Light weight, easy carry and fits comfortably in a pocket or small purse. Love the sleek look and style. Buttons are easy to use. The only small exception for this camera is when you just want to "view" the photos taken when turned on, the lenses expands out. A little annoying. All in all the Olympus Fe-5020 for the price is a pretty nice camera and fits well for my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Olympus 12MP 5x wide angle zoom, April 24, 2010
Marlene C. Mason (ORMOND BEACH, FL, US) - See all my reviews
This is my fourth Olympus camera. I have been nothing but pleased with the portability, ease of use and small size. This camera is as good as any I have ever owned and better than most.

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital Camera, January 27, 2010
The Olympus Digital camera is a fine product. We purchased one while in the Bahamas and liked it so much that we had to have another one. The 12 M pixels and the 5.0 Optical zoom are a great combo to have. This is my 6th digital camera. It's the best yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera. Easy to use, May 13, 2011
This digital camera takes great pictures and is easy to use. Can't go wrong for the price. This is our second camera by Olympus.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›