5.0 out of 5 stars Olympus took the Gold Medal

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon seller only
Published 15 months ago by S. Velasquez

5.0 out of 5 stars Olympus took the Gold Medal, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
I purchased 3 floating camera straps - the Vivatar, the Olympus and the Chums -since they were all pretty inexpensive and they all seemed to have good reviews and bad reviews. After trying out all 3 I decided the Olympus will go with me on my next snorkeling adventure with my new Nikon Coolpix AW100 (which I absolutely love but that's for another review). Here are my observations on all three straps. I ordered all 3 in yellow - the Vivatar was a kind of dingy orangish yellow while the other two were a bright yellow which I felt would be easier to spot so score 1 for Olympus and Chums. The Vivatar and Olympus both were easy to dry off while the Chums is made of a kind of spongy material which doesn't dry off right away so score one for Vivatar and Olympus. The Olympus and Chums fit my wrist very nicely whereas I wasn't quite sure how to attach the Vivatar to my person. I thought the Olympus when it was cinched up fit my wrist especially well so score two for Olympus and one for Chums. A side note here - I have an average man's size hands whereas my wife has long slender hands. The Olympus slid right off of her hand even when it was cinched up so the Chums might actually work better for her. The Olympus and the Chums both seemed more buoyant than the Vivatar. The Vivatar failed the bathtub test - filling my bathtub to the top and dropping the strap into the water attached to the Nikon (it's a Jacuzzi tub so it's fairly deep). The Nikon was actually resting on the bottom of the tub with the Vivatar whereas it was not touching with the other two straps. The Vivatar was holding up one end of the camera so I suspect in deeper waters it would keep the camera floating but I don't know that for sure. Score one apiece for the Olympus and the Chums. One final observation - and this one is a little subjective. The Olympus just seemed better constructed with more durable parts and connections than the other two. Score one point for Olympus. Final score => Vivatar - 1 point, Olympus - 6 points, Chums - 3 points. Hope this is helpful

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazon seller only, September 30, 2013
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
After receiving this product not labeled "Olympus" like advertised and noticing the sub par quality I became suspicious. Thank you all who rated it one star Im right with you. I decided to go directly to the Olympus web site and when I was redirected to Amazon as the seller at a much lower price I took the plunge. I compared them side by side, took photos and decided to return this 1 star fake. The quality differences are astounding. The stitching, nylon cloth and flotation foam are all different. The Olympus brand is cleared printed on the real one and the workmanship is good. The fake is a piece of crap. The one thing I did notice is that they are both about the same size, made for a large hand. I wear an x large or large mens glove. It does float my Olympus 830IHS and seems to work as described. I would only buy from Amazon since its sellers are not selling the real thing. I sent the fake one back and expecting a full refund as per Amazons policies. If there was a way to give 4 stars to the Olympus floating strap I would do so. I took away 1 star because of the fit. Although adjustable even at the tightest setting it was made for large hands. Also of your not picky on the color I was able to save 67% off retail...again sold by Amazon only.

PS Search Olympus floating strap for more choices

5.0 out of 5 stars It floats and everything!, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
I had a medium-weight waterproof point-and-shoot camera that I was snorkeling with, and I didn't want to lose it. It honestly doesn't look like it'll keep a whole camera afloat, but it did exactly that. My only complaint it that the strap doesn't tighten very tight. It won't come off of your hand, but it also won't stay put. Usually, you'd want to be able to move the wrist strap freely, but since the strap is buoyant, it floats to whichever end of your arm is higher, which makes it difficult to have the camera in the right position at all times. All in all, it's a good buy. We used it as the primary camera strap the whole vacation. It's not too bulky.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strap came apart, November 1, 2011
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
Received the floating camera strap and packed it with all of my dive gear. Just prior to our first dive with a new Canon PowerShot D10 underwater camera, I tried to attach the floating strap. The small line that attaches at the end of the connector pulled right out of connector, making the connecting unworkable. I suppose that I could have rigged an alternative, but instead, just used the wrist strap that came with the camera and it worked fine Save your money on this floating strap, but I would encourage anyone to look at this great Canon camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nifty thing for peace of mind with your camera when out on the water, August 12, 2013
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
I bought this to go along with the Nikon Coolpix S31 waterproof camera that I took along on a rafting trip in the Grand Canyon. I did not get a chance to see if it would keep the camera afloat as I didn't drop the camera in the river. The wrist strap snugged up nice to both my wrist and to my girlfriend's much more slender wrist as well. Yet, the floatation padding didn't make the thing overly bulky or otherwise difficult to use.

For its price, this implement provides great peace of mind when using a camera in an open water environment. I'm glad I bought it and had it along with me as I went down the river.

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish it came with an attachment!, January 5, 2014
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
This worked with my camera, and my NikonAW110 stayed afloat easily. One complaint is that there is the option to un-clip the yellow floating wrist strap part. This float strap would be PERFECT if it had a regular strap that could clip into that same spot for when you're using it on land!!! Why haven't they thought of this?

5.0 out of 5 stars Floating camera strap, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
I just got my strap in the mail and it works great. I have owned another brand before but this one seems to work much better. I am also very happy with the bright yellow color.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what we needed!, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
Purchased this strap for an Olympus waterproof camera. It attaches easily and detaches when not needed. Makes using the camera in the water convenient. It's comfortable on the wrist and will float the camera if it comes off. Great accessory for a waterproof camera that's used when snorkeling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Canon D10, August 11, 2011
Molly Renteria (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
I just bought the Canon d10 for a trip and needed a strap for underwater use. This strap is perfect, fits comfortably around the wrist. It looks bulky, but is not cumbersome at all. The color was great in the water. If I took it off my wrist, I could easily locate it in the ocean. Very pratical! A must for underwater cameras!

3.0 out of 5 stars Knock Off!!, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow) (Camera)
Just rec'd my new OLYMPUS floating foam strap. If you look at the picture it clearly shows Olympus on the strap in the picture. Unfortunately, the one I rec'd does not say OLYMPUS so therefore I believe it's a knockoff. It may function well but I want what I pay for, that's probably why it was so cheap.

Olympus Floating Foam Strap (Yellow)
$19.99 $5.28