5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Olympus Stylus Tough 8000
I took this with me on a sailing / snorkeling trip to the Virgin Islands recently. It easily attached to the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 and kept it afloat when I took it into the water. I read the other reviews that said the strap would not keep the 1030sw afloat in fresh water. So I tested the strap with the 8000 in a bucket of tap water. It floated just fine...
Published on July 2, 2009 by Ob1

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware -- it doesn't float!!!
Published on May 1, 2009 by M. Conley

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Olympus Stylus Tough 8000, July 2, 2009
Ob1 (Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red (Camera)

The flotation is not strong. So I would expect a strong current (as in white water rafting or kayaking) could pull it under for some period of time. But I had no trouble snorkeling or swimming with it in the waves and low surf.

The quick release on the strap is handy if you attach the floating strap onto, or in addition to the strap that comes with the camera. This allows you to easily detach the floating strap and stuff the camera into your pocket without a big red pillow hanging out of your pants or shirt. This leaves the camera's original wrist strap attached so you can still use that when on dry land.

The floating strap is too big for my wrist (I'm 5'll", 160 lbs). But I easily slid it up to my biceps where it stayed put (the strap has an adjustable button) and allowed me to swim with both hands free.

The floating strap is very lightweight, takes up little room when packing, dries quickly, and held up well in the salt water and sun of the Caribbean.

Overall it worked very well and kept me from worrying about dropping the camera into water that exceeded the 33 ft. maximum depth on the 8000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work very well with the Canon D-10..., August 4, 2009
This review is from: Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red (Camera)
This strap is a perfect companion to the Canon D-10 waterproof camera. I have tested the buoyancy of the strap in an 8 foot deep pool with a large amount heavy agitation (other swimmers and the pool pump cycling)...it took about 5 second from the time of release to the time is broke the surface...The bright red color is a nice bright contrast making it easier to see. A small investment to save a great camera...well worth the purchase price...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this thing! And Olympus has great customer service if there is a problem!, March 11, 2011
This review is from: Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red (Camera)
I was a little apprehensive about buying this thing after reading so many mixed reviews about whether it actually floats or not. I decided to get it rather than getting another brand because I have the olympus stylus tough camera (which rocks, btw) and I figured if the product olympus advertises on its own website as an accessory for that camera failed and I lost the camera because of that failure I'd have a pretty good beef with Olympus. Well, I've taken the camera on numerous trips-- snorkeling in Hawaii, cave diving in Mexico, all sorts of pools, sandy water, choppy water, murky water...all no problem! My float did the job well and kept my camera floating at all times. The stylus tough camera is really cool, you can take it anywhere (throw it in the sand, snow, whatever), I take it skiing a lot and I leave the floatation wrist strap on in the snow just in case the camera gets buried. While it doesn't "float" in the snow, it's so bright it does ensure that the camera doesn't get lost in the snow.

Recently, however, the tiny piece that connects the flotation strap to the camera broke (the string part that attaches to the camera and that you connect the float strap to). I looked at the Olympus website to see if I could buy that tiny piece rather than having to buy a whole new float-strap. I didn't see it advertised on the website so I called Olympus up to tell them about my problem. They don't sell that tiny piece separate from the wrist strap (which is lame, the flotation device is just fine, just the little 2 cent connector piece is broken). The woman asked me if I bought the accessory from them, I couldn't remember and she asked for my phone number to look it up. They didn't have me listed which is when I remembered I bought it from Amazon instead. So what did they do with me? Tell me to call Amazon? Nope. Tell me I was out of luck and to buy another strap? Nope. "No problem," they said "we just want to make sure you don't lose your camera, we'll send you out a brand new strap right away." How awesome is that? I don't buy the product from them and they don't sell the piece I need separately so they take it upon themselves to send me out a whole new product. They sent it out UPS and didn't even have me pay for shipping. I'm impressed, customer service like this gets you customers for life. Makes me feel better that I purchased not only this product from them but my camera as well, now if something goes wrong I know I'm in good hands.

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware -- it doesn't float!!!, May 1, 2009
This review is from: Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red (Camera)
I have been a fan of the Stylus Tough series. I had a 770 SW then bought a 1030 SW -- I use them for skiing, snorkeling and kayaking. I bought this "float" strap and tested it before going out in my kayak. It seemed to have just enough flotation to support the camera. While out on a river with gentle current I tossed the camera to a friend in a kayak about 8 feet away. The camera with float attached hit the water, hung just below the surface for a moment and then, bizarrely, sank! The water was murky and there was enough of a current the camera was lost. I contacted Olympus, complaining that calling this item a float was misleading to say the least. They would not replace the camera but only offered a small discount on a replacement. They should be honest and call it something else -- either it floats or it doesn't and it my case it didn't

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty cool, August 7, 2008
This review is from: Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red (Camera)
This works ok, it made it so my camera didnt sink to the bottom of a lake :). The only problem I noticed is that it works kind of like a sponge. If it fills up with air, it floats. If it is squeezed under water, it will suck in the water and (slowly) sink. I would think with the godawful size that it wouldn't be just a sponge.

Bring it back above water, squeeze the water out, and let it fill with air, and it works again. Pretty goofy the way it works, but it's better than nothing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Is it real? Think it might be fake....., June 22, 2013
Length:: 0:41 Mins

Just received the float band from Amazon directly and I am disappointed. It came in Olympus packaging that looked a little strange (poor printing) and the item does not look like the one in the photos. Mine has no Olympus logos on it and it has only 4 segments to the float band instead of 5 in the pictures and looks a little rough and ready. It also has a little fabric hook on the back - not sure what it is for?

I would have sent it back except I was going on vacation and figured for the money a copy float band will do just as well as an original float band - provided it floats that is!

Uploaded a video of the item I received and re3member this was from Amazon directly and not from another supplier or even fulfilled by amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps your camera at the surface., December 29, 2008
This review is from: Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red (Camera)
I'm using this on an Olympus 1030SW and it works very well. The buoyancy provided by the strap is just enough to give a slight rise to the camera in fresh water. The camera will come up but the strap barely breaks the surface. In salt water it would probably provide a bit more of a boost. When diving or snorkeling that's probably a good thing as it won't "pull" at you when trying to use it; however if you're concerned about losing sight of the camera you might want to attach a bright fishing bobber to the convenient loop in the center of the strap. The strap attaches with a quick release which provides sufficient resistance that I'm not concerned about an accidental release. If you're going to use your 1030 in a lake or ocean, I strongly recommend this strap.

3.0 out of 5 stars Floats well; attachment point is weak, June 6, 2013
This review is from: Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red (Camera)
I see a few reviews that state that this float strap doesn't float, but that's pretty bogus. All floatation devices have their limits; I wouldn't recommend this as a life saving device. However, I have a Olympus Stylus TG830 (tough) that is designed to go in the water. It weighs just under 8 ounces. The float strap not only holds it up, it only takes the first two floats in the strap to do so. The upper two floats don't even touch the water. So if your camera weighs in at a pound it will probably use all of the floatation pads and sit lower in the water. If much more than a pound, I wouldn't expect this to hold it up, but it may do so if there is enough air-space in the camera to offset the additional weight.

A quick release allows you to easily remove the float strap for everyday use, and it makes it easy to loop the retention string to an attachment point.

Now for the bad part. The string that attaches to the camera is very, very thin. I don't know what the test strength is on it, but I have several small flashlights with the same attachment line and most of them have failed.

Bottom line. Although a good floatation device for lightweight cameras, it is not reliable as a secure strap due to the thin attachment line. I attach mine when I'm going to be around water, but I still use the strap that came with the camera for positive retention. If the tough strap were to slide off of my hand, the float strap will still make the camera easy to locate. This would be a five star item if that tiny line was as beefy as the rest of the strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strap with just enough floatation to do the job., July 1, 2012
This review is from: Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red (Camera)
I purchased this strap to go along with my new Olympus TG-1 camera. As advertised it says it provides enough floatation to wear on your wrist and swim underwater and not drag your arm to the surface. As a test I hooked the strap to my camera and went swimming with my kids in the local pool. I really like this strap and it works as advertised. What really nice is that when you let the camera go the strap is pulled into an upright "standing" position which makes it more visible than say a boat key floater. The bright red makes it very visible as well. A couple times I just let the camera float around the pool next to me while I played with the kids occassionally reaching for it to take a few shots then let it float again. It's also comfortable when on your wrist and doesn't get in the way of taking photos. Planning to use this at the local waterslide park soon as well. Highly recomend this strap for anyone that has one of the small waterproof cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it is supposed to do., September 13, 2011
This review is from: Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red (Camera)
First test: I put this on my camera, threw it in Lake Michigan, and sent my Black Labrador out to grab it. It floats, and its fetchable! Handy accessory for your waterproof camera!

Olympus Foam Float Strap, 202212, Red