5.0 out of 5 stars LS-7 Compared
Four weeks ago I bought an Olympus LS-7, and I have to get this off my chest before I explode - the thing rocks! Here's is what I have found.

Published on September 29, 2011 by Don Schenk

3.0 out of 5 stars Records in great quality
Published on December 13, 2012 by Al Haney

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars LS-7 Compared, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Olympus LS-7 Linear PCM Voice Recorder (142670) (Office Product)

I have been comparing it to the earlier Olympus LS-10 which I also own, and before that a recorder from a different manufacturer. The other manufacturer's recorder sounded good, but the menu was the most confounding, confusing menu I have ever seen. And that is why I bought the LS-10. It was way easier to use.

The LS-7 sounds better than either of the other two, and the LS-7's menu is every bit as easy to use than that of the LS-10. But the LS-7's sound and functions go much beyond the older LS-10. The LS-7 has a better frequency response on the low end because of its middle microphone. And you can turn off that mic when you don't want the low response. The LS-7 also has an additional frequency in the low cut filter - off, 100 Hz and 300 Hz. What a difference this makes for keeping out air conditioner and furnace fan noise when recording a seminar. I ran side by side comparisons in a large room where I teach workshops, and the 300 Hz low-cut filter did the trick.

The specs on microphone sensitivity are better on the LS-7 than on the LS-10 and the sound level difference it quite noticeable. The LS-7 comes in at a -70 dbv compared to the -59 dbv of the LS-10. The "high" mic sensitivity setting on the older LS-10 seems to be about the same as the "Mid" setting on the LS-7. And with the LS-7's mic sensitivity set on "High," I can talk in a fairly soft voice from 2 feet away and it "pins" the meter.

The battery life is astounding! I've been using the LS-7 every day, and it still has battery life on the original charge I gave it right after I opened the box. My LS-10 would have long since run down the batteries.

Olympus, thank you. You've done it again. This is a great product for musicians, public speakers, students and anyone who ever wants to record a concert, a seminar, a class, or a workshop.

Don Schenk

5.0 out of 5 stars great recorder, December 4, 2011
I purchased the LS 7 recorder instead of the LS 10 based on a review written by another person. When I called Olmypus for advice re: buying a memory card, I was told that this is not the best recorder for recording meetings & speechs. They did assist me in setting the recorder so I wouldn't require a memory card. I now have 67.5 hours of recording time without a card. I'm perfectly happy with the recorder and the price I paid. The Olmpus tech rep said this is a good recorder for the recording of music. I am very impressed with the help I got from Olympus.They really know their business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than anything I used for interviews / focus groups, October 14, 2011
Small but easy to understand interface. Most important, the sound quality is excellent for interviews and focus groups. I haven't played much with the various mic settings or the software that comes with it but since it works so well out of the box, I haven't felt a need to. Build quality good as well. Feels like it will last.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT Portable Recorder, has more capability than what is apparent., July 30, 2012
There is quite a bit of mis-information, or a clear lack of understanding of what this little beast can do. Aside from the specifications that are readily visible here on the Amazon website, and elsewhere, the LS-7 is clearly capable of a whole lot more. The two biggest points are;

1. Yes, it is capable of line level recording. Most people only see that it has an ext MIC input, but this connection serves the dual purpose of ext mic input AND line level input. The manual clearly indicates this. I have tried it for myself, and it works great. One only needs to watch the level of your source, and the LS-7 does just fine. I suggest the following settings: In the Record menu, set the REC Level to Manual, and Limiter/Compressor OFF. Then adjust your recording level manually to "0" on the LS-7. Phono line level output from my receiver works just fine, and the LS-7 does not peak out.

2. Secondly, there is plenty of information out there in audio forums that say that when an external mic (or line level input) is used, there is a frequency roll-off at 70Hz, basically filtering out anything below 70Hz. This is completely false. Using a precise noise generator tuned down to 20Hz, I have recorded directly into the mic input and verified that this input IS NOT rolled off.

I continue to be impressed by this unit's capabilities. The sound quality is exceptional. My intended uses for this device are to record ambient nature sounds when I'm photographing in the field. I'm also going to record on this device, while simultaneously using it as an external microphone into my Canon 7D camera. I've yet to try this aspect (waiting for a separately ordered mount), and I'll update this review when I do, but I've no doubt that it'll do just fine.

I also intend to capture sermon / conference / meeting audio, as well as use it for field notes. These are all things I have quickly tested, and the early results I've achieved have left me completely impressed.

One final note - there is one thing that I'm not too pleased with, and that's the Power / Hold switch. While the rest of the device seems sturdy and well built, I'm concerned about the longevity of this switch. While it works fine, the tactile feel of it seems rather cheap. It's not enough to make me return this device, but it does have me wondering if I'll have a problem with it later on.

I will definitely update this review as I continue to evaluate it before the return policy expires, but after using it for 4 days straight, it definitely looks like a winner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Records in great quality, December 13, 2012
Real good mics. Have a couple of things that kept it from 5 stars. You cannot erase just a portion of a track. It's all or nothing. I f you are recording(flute clarinet, sax) it's impossible to see the levels while playing other than the clipping activation light, this thing is tiny.There are many different effects like reverb and such but you can only add them on playback, you can't record with them. So if you go with earphone out to a computer the sound goes in raw and you have to add effects in garage band or the enclosed software which I never uploaded. Another feature which would be handy would to be able to use this recorder as a mic and pre amps for my garage band, the mics are good and the pre amps are fairly quiet. Be sure to print out the full directions from the web or CD, the little book that comes in the box isn't much help. Great rechargeable batteries last very long and recharge from a standard USB cord from a computer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound but built not to last., June 6, 2012
Update 9/2013:
I dropped this unit on a hard surface twice over the last year. The first time the entire, very complicated, battery door came off, which took quite a while to repair. The second time the door did not come off but somehow it no longer will keep the batteries in place at all and the unit must be carefully taped shut after each battery change, which requires high quality gaffer's tape, doesn't always work and is a huge problem in the field. This door design is ridiculously complex and completely idiotic.

What makes this worth owning is that it is the smallest, most pocketable 24/96 recorder Olympus makes. Just don't drop it - ever!

Original review:
This is an amazing unit for the price. The mics are pretty good and it can record PCM-Wave files at 24-bit/96k (as well as wma and mp3 128k to 320k - and mono). I use Core Sound mics plugged into it for very good sound when recording live music. You can add a micro sd card for a huge capacity.

I exclusively use rechargeable batteries with great success - this unit is very power-efficient.

The only problem I have with it is that the buttons stick out enough that if I don't keep it on "hold" the recorder will turn itself on in my pocket. Earlier models didn't have this problem - I wish they'd fix this. One big improvement would be a way to switch mic sensitivity or recording format more easily without using the menu. An earlier Olympus model I had did have a dedicated switch for the mic sensitivity, which you could change while recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for sight impaired, July 6, 2013
I am still learning to use this. Purchased it for quality and voice commands. Writing music with a friend who is legally blind but can see the flashing light and solid recording light on record button. This works well for sight impaired but only after a sighted person learns it and teaches it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, June 4, 2012
Easy to use but packed full of features. Love the stereo mic and the fact the recordings can be directly downloaded in MP3 format with no special software required. Quality product; battery life and record times are as stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Technician, March 22, 2012
Great item. bought this since i left my cheapo one at school. of course everyone in class denies seeing it. overall this items works really good but does pick up all noises to easily. bought another add on mic which when plugged in seems to cut down on the other background noises. would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Olympus LS-7 voice recorder, August 20, 2012
I have been using this recorder for about a month to record my quartet and chorus rehearsals. I really like it a lot. It is fairly easy to use - don't need to look at the manual very much. I have been playing with the settings a little bit to find an ideal setting. So far I am very satisfied.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›