5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ive ever owned
Published 9 months ago by yabbadabbadoo

These are not Olympus' low-priced line. Only the roof prism Magellan line is more expensive, so these are in the high-end porro prism line for Olympus.

Published on May 11, 2010 by Pat Blaney

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control or may just be Amazon packaging for shipment, May 11, 2010
Pat Blaney (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olympus Pathfinder EXPS-1 8x42 Porro Prism Binocular (Electronics)

I really like the design of the binoculars. They feel quite solid, come with quality lens caps, and have plastic eye caps that turn out into place instead of rubber eye caps. I'm sure these will outlast any rubber eye caps.

However, in the pair I received, the two sides are out of alignment. What appears in the center of one the field of vision of one eye is well to the side of the field of vision of the other eye. This shouldn't be and makes it very difficult to look through them for more than a minute at a time. Also, it seemed to take a lot of effort to avoid having part of the field of vision obscured by the edges of the lens.

This may not be a manufacturing defect. I ordered two pairs of binoculars from Amazon (two different models), and the packing was woefully inadequate. The only concern seemed to be that the smaller box not be able to slide around inside the carton. The binocular boxes were in full contact with the cardboard box and therefore subject to the impact of any handling by UPS. It's very possible that Olympus quality control did ensure that the sides were properly aligned at the time of manufacture, but that they assumed that, if shipped, the box containing the binoculars would be padded on all six sides inside the shipping carton.

I'm also suspicious that I was shipped a set of binoculars which had already been returned by another customer. While everything was there, the box looked like it had been previously opened. It's possible this was just caused by rough treatment during shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ive ever owned, March 20, 2014
I have always wanted some nice glass. I am a naturalist and just like the ability to look at what I encounter. Unfortunatly euro glass is out of my price range. I purchased these after reading the allbinos.com review. The review gave this solid middle of the road marks for all characteristics, The product may have been made in Japan at that time the product i received was made in China. Prior to this I have owned Nikon, Celestron, and bushnell binoculars in the US$40 to $60 range. I gave $109 for these. They are without a doubt the most pleasurable to use binoculars ive ever owned. I have looked through friends zeiss and valdada binos and my impression is that these are better optically but i have not compared side by side. I am often struck by the clarity of objects two or three times the distance of the object I am looking at. Will they hold up? It remains to be seen. I have not been a fan of Chinese made products but this item appears to be an exception. Low light the brilliance fades a bit but is still much better than any other binos ive owned. I probably glass things three or four times as much as I used to these are so pleasurable to peer through. Very Pleased

4.0 out of 5 stars Reason of rating, December 30, 2013
Solid product, sharp image. Fast shipped. If that binocular is waterproof, it will be perfect. Beautiful appearance. Porro prism. Bright and clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, February 19, 2007
I am very happy with the binoculars. Very sharp and clear. I don't know much about binoculars but I am satisfied with how it works.

Olympus Pathfinder EXPS-1 8x42 Porro Prism Binocular