5.0 out of 5 stars Works Just Fine
This battery is identical to the one that came with the camera and holds the same charge. No complaints. Can't beat Amazon's price.
Published on October 26, 2010 by Stewy

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!
Published on September 16, 2012 by klldrckstrinyrhd

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!, September 16, 2012
This review is from: Olympus LI-50B Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery for Select Olympus Digital Cameras - Retail Packaging (Electronics)
I purchased 3 of these to have as back ups. I take a lot of videos and pictures and you couldn't beat the price. Despite coming with "Olympus" packaging the batteries I received are fakes when compared to the battery that came with my camera. The first way to tell is the fact that the original battery gets around an hour of video time and a few hundred pictures before it completely drains. The ones I got off amazon? No where near as many pictures and at best 20 minutes of video time if you are lucky. The second way to tell is just by comparing them side by side you can tell the by the font of how Olympus is written on the original compared to the fake ones. Maybe I just happened to place 2 separate orders that just so happened to have all the batteries be fakes but I doubt that. I will be contacting Amazon to return these and I am extremely disappointed that they would allow these to be sold.

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not retail packaging, November 7, 2012
Glenn Compton "grcompton" (Walnut Creek, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
If you searched for this battery and selected this seller, you likely did so because they advertised "Retail Packaging" and that gave you a sense of security that you were getting the real thing. Unfortunately, it's not, and they don't even try to fake retail packaging, this battery came in a tiny little plastic bag someone else might sell you a couple of pills in on a street corner. I feel like I bought this on eBay, which I stopped using because of such misleading tactics.

It did work when I put it in the camera, but I cannot speak to how long it might last on a charge ... I can tell you that the markings do not match the battery that came in my camera. I'm posting simply to let people know this is a "fraudulent" listing .

2.0 out of 5 stars with love from Asia!, May 2, 2012
Product came quickly and seems to work fine. I'm not quite convinced this is a new product, though. Due to the lack of seller clarity, I've knocked it down three stars (for (1) not having a recent manufacturing date and few details on the product page, (2) not being clear about the package, and (3) my inability to judge whether this battery is new or used based on its peeling label). Below, I will elaborate more on my choice to dock stars from this product.

1) I ordered this battery in April 2012 and it is dated as July 2011. I have two other batteries dated as 2008 so this new one will be welcome. The other ones have gotten plenty of use and recharges so they don't work for too long anymore. Still, I was expecting a new battery and the seller page did not encourage me to expect anything otherwise.

2) The battery did not come inside the package. I guess that's legit in Asia (?) but it's not very comforting to me, as a customer. The battery has a lot of Japanese characters on it so I assume it's part of the newer Olympus manufacturing (my old batteries were made in China instead of Japan). I wish the seller had made more effort to put the battery into the package. In full disclosure, the product page does say "(Retail Packaging)" but I take that as meaning the battery is NEW and INSIDE the packaging (not that part of my purchase is to receive an opened retail package). There is even a barcode pasted on the back that says "new". Seems like only part of the meaning made it past those translations.

3) The battery appears to be put together a little more cheaply these days. The sticker/label is already coming up when I slide it into and out of the camera. Again, I'm not convinced this battery is new. I have no problem buying used or returned batteries if the seller is honest. I could care less about getting the packaging but this receipt seems a little shady...anybody can go grab a discarded package and pair items together. Either put "refurbished" on the product page or some other clarification so people don't think they're getting a stolen or used product.

In all, I'm happy to have another battery to go along with my camera. I guess beggars can't be choosers and I should not complain since the price is dirt cheap. If something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is not true. Having written that, the battery does seem to work legitimately for the first few shots. If it does give any trouble in my upcoming trip, I'll update this post and drop my rating to one star. If it works fine, I'll buy another and add a star. For now, my rating is 5 - 3 strikes = 2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Just Fine, October 26, 2010
Stewy (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey, It's Olympus!, August 3, 2010
If you own any Olympus camera model that uses the LI-50B battery, don't settle for anything less than this one. I made the mistake of trying to save a few dollars and bought a "knock-off" version as a back-up battery, only to discover that its power life was not nearly what the LI-50B's is. Or maybe the "knock-off" just would not fully charge overnight. Either way, don't get "snookered" -- get this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars olympus battery, June 1, 2008
We are very satisfied with the quality of the battery. Have already used it on a week vacation. Held a charge well and recharged quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you shop around for prices, June 5, 2009
Scott Mathis (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
The Battery is good for the lowest price you can find on the web. Use an application like [...] to help find the lowest price. It lasts for about 2-3 solid hours of use before needing recharging. It is a good idea to have a back-up battery for vacations, especially if you are going to be someplace that you cant recharge a single battery for a period of time (i.e. backpacking, etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Back-up, July 6, 2009
Recent Hawaiian vacation This is a spare battery I charged one battery overnight so I'd always have 2 charged batteries although I seldom need the second one it was great to know I wouldn't lose power when I needed it.

1.0 out of 5 stars This battery is not an original, its a cosmetically similar, inferior copy., July 1, 2013
Though cosmetically similar to the original, I find the battery has less than half the life of the original. The battery is a little better than some cheaper knock-offs in that at least it has worked for a few charges. I was hoping for much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Experience with OEM Battery, August 14, 2011
A. Dill (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
Last year my parents went to Europe for two months and took their Olympus camera. My mother asked me to purchase her a backup battery and I did so. It was not an OEM battery and was significantly cheaper. The cheap battery didn't work well at all and I felt terrible--It barely held a charge.

This year my parents are off to Europe again and to make up for last years battery debacle, I purchased them an OEM Olympus battery. I just video chatted with them and can report this year I have made up for buying the cheap-o battery. My parents are having a great time and, because of their two working batteries, are on the way to filling up their 8 GB memory card :-\

Save yourself the headache and buy an Olympus battery to begin with.

Rate and Discover Movies