Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 16, 2014
This camera is a little heavier than the simple point-and-shoot models, and - in that I was backpacking for 5 weeks - I worried about that aspect ... but it fit perfectly into my pocket and performed magnificently. I ordered two extra batteries for it and charged them before I left for the UK but I never had to use them. One 32GB SD card and one battery that I recharged whenever I could find an outlet, and it was perfect. The battery will last for days through hundreds of pictures at the highest setting. I couldn't have been happier with my purchase. I even dropped it quite a few times without it being in a case and ... nothing. I hope I have it forever.
on September 13, 2014
I really love this item, the quality is absolutely amazing. I took some great photos on my recent vacation and I am so glad I had this camera, much better quality than my Iphone, I really couldn't believe it. It's lightweight and has many functions that all cameras should have. If you are thinking about getting a camera that will last, this is the one. I received mine very quickly and it arrived on time with no damage whatsoever. Hope this helps you make your decision. A++
on May 13, 2015
For $90 this is a great digital camera. It still is not as clear as my wife's SLR with fancy lenses, but it fits in my pocket and turns on fast (2 seconds) to take candid shots on the fly.

Here's a few tips for the 'point and shoot' folks who don't want to mess with camera settings too much.

1) use a decent size SD card. 4Gb stores about 400 pictures at the highest setting, or 16 min. of video at the highest setting
2) use the lowest ISO=100 setting (in mode='P'), and everything else on AUTO for best clarity. this camera takes great pics with ISO 100 (see attached: bird was at full 24x zoom, dog was inside w/ flash).
3) when ISO was not fixed at 100, my video would go from bright to dark and back again. Setting the ISO=100 helped that a great deal.
review image review image
on January 28, 2015
After researching small budget point and shoot cameras I finally bought this one. It is very hard for me to review this product, because my needs are unique.
I only take product photos on a table inside the house, with a three point lighting system. Products such as shoes, bags etc.
I do not know if this camera is "point and shoot" outside in the daylight when taking a landscape, but inside the house it certainly is not.

I had to fiddle with the "P" settings for about 5 hours yesterday before getting taking any marginally decent pictures.
The automatic settings, give me blurry, washed out colors. Even when the picture looks good, magnified at 100% it looks grainy and horrible.
Finally I had to settle for "daylight mode, which adds some color. Underexposure -0.3, and no flash, with an ISO of 600.
It is quite impossible to take near perfect product pictures with this camera.
I have not found a way for the camera to take smaller pictures either. Normally cameras have a basic, normal and fine setting. This thing takes one size in 314 dpi. One good thing about it, the menus are easy to navigate.

UPDATE 01/30/2015
I have tried everything. Pretty much impossible to take pictures that are sharp and in focus at 100%. Pictures are fuzzy at 100% magnification in photo shop.
I am using a 3 way lighting system, and nothing works with this camera. I do not think it should be purchased for closeup product pictures.
The best setting I can find is P, sunlight, -0.3 exposure.
Automatic white balance makes all colors look horribly bland.

The most disturbing aspect of this camera is that in between on and off cycles, it takes completely different pictures on the same setting. The variables have not changed. The lights are static and in the same place. The camera settings when the camera was turned off were P, automatic white balance, sunny, exposure -0.3.
I take pictures, then turn camera off, then take camera to office for download to photo shop. Spend about 10 minutes in photo shop with the color correction tools, because pictures are never same color as the photographed item (This camera has huge problems with colors blue and green) Blue and green items are completely off color (no matter what setting is chosen).
After color corrections are made, contrast and sharpness have to be dealt with.
When the camera is turned back on, the settings appear to be the same, but this time around the same photographed item looks different once again. In other words I have to reset camera, and apply my settings again in between on and off cycles. I am reluctant to try any other cameras under $200 because i'm pretty sure they will all be "more or less the same". In other words, one has to spend at least 10 minutes per photo in photo shop trying to make a bad picture half way decent.

UPDATE 02/28/2015
I have now spent about 200+ hours with this camera and taken thousands of product pictures. I have always hesitated on whether to purchase a DSLR camera instead, and have not yet selected one. Probably the Nikon D3300 is my first choice at the moment.
Here is my final verdict on the Olympus Sz-16 FOR TAKING PRODUCT PICTURES ONLY.
First of all, I am using a white lighting tent with many daylight bulbs around the tent. More or less light can be added from all sides, and top, and front. All lights are covered with white shower curtain material. This means we can exclude reflections (causing noise and glare).
After trying every shooting mode, with lights changed, with distance from object changed, with ISO and white balance changed, with Spot and ESP changed, these are my conclusions.
1. It is impossible to take a perfect picture without noise even at ISO 100. (little white specs can be seen all over when magnified to 100% in Photoshop).
2. It is impossible to take a crisp in focus picture (maybe 1 picture in 150 will have a perfect focus)

It takes me two uses of UNSHARP mask in Photoshop to get the picture more focused (still not perfect).
It takes me anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes to remove all the noise with the SPOT HEALING BRUSH or CLONE STAMP in Photoshop.
I always have to modify the contrast and levels as well as the exposure in Photoshop.
Basically, unless you are fluent in Photoshop, this camera can be a nightmare for people wanting to take good pictures.
I have NOT compared any other point and shoots to this Olympus, which I may do before pulling the trigger on a Nikon D3300.
Any automatic settings this camera offers I.e. Automatic white balance and automatic ISO should be avoided. The picture quality is much worse (I mean from bad to worse).
Pictures look OK when NOT viewed at 100% magnification in Photoshop, but that is besides the point!!
My settings are P, ISO 100~200, Exposure always varies +0.7~1.3.
Obviously I am using a tripod and shooting at different angles and distances.
I have also tried Macro mode at low ISO, and the noise is still present.
Switching between spot or face mode or ESP and metering, does absolutely nothing to solve any quality issues.
In a nutshell, does this camera take product pictures? Yes it does. Does it take good product pictures? No far from it.
on January 30, 2015
Olympus use to make awesome 35mm stuff years ago, but I guess in the digital age they are just not as good. It takes fuzzy photos, takes a very long time while it auto focus, the auto focus motors also are noisy.

I took a ton of photos, outside and inside with flash on and off.

Also you get blinded twice when someone takes your photo, once from the little red pre flash(sensor) light (that thing is BRIGHT!) and then again from the flash.
on September 10, 2014
I received my Olympus Stylus as a gift from my husband and I love it! It was to replace a Nikon that I've been using for a couple of years. The Olympus takes much better indoor pictures, plus great pictures outside as well. I was never able to get a successful indoor picture with my Nikon, so I'm loving my Olympus. I won't be missing shots of our grandkids birthday parties anymore. I'm learning to use the zoom feature and have had a great time filming video. The SZ-15 is a good camera for the price.
on February 16, 2015
The camera would be very nice if the opticals worked properly. Some of the still pictures come out fuzzy and it takes a long time to focus. The videos start out sharp but the images keep going fuzzy and then sharp again. The images are being recorded that way as I can see the same fuzzy problem with playback on the computer after uploading. There also is some sort of rattling noise in the camera. It is too late to return with Amazon so I will try the repair service.
on March 13, 2015
I have always liked Olympus for getting the to point in their designs. The avoid over-teching and overthinking their products so they are (Hey!) really useful. This one is. And the value is obvious. Question those comments you might see criticizing the features. These views are unrealistic vs the great value at a very fair price you'll receive.
on February 16, 2015
I purchased this camera as my car" camera that remains safely in my car so that when I encounter an unexpected event I have it with me to capture the moment. It takes very good pictures but when using the zoom it is difficult to prevent shaking and blurring the picture. However, I am quite pleased with the camera and its qualities.
on September 14, 2014
A great camera. It fits comfortably in my hand and takes hi-res pictures that look amazing. I was very pleased by the zoom feature that is built in, making for a really nice point and shoot camera. I'm getting better pictures out of this camera than from some that cost much more. Durable but not too heavy, I'd recommend it to anyone that is looking forward to getting started with photography.