4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable camera with pleasant image quality.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:40 Mins
The Olympus Stylus SH-50 has an awesome zoom, nice image quality, and tons of great features.

Published 12 months ago by Anthony Pantliano

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too bulky for me, but not a bad camera
Published 12 months ago by J. Maxon

4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable camera with pleasant image quality., August 28, 2013
Length:: 2:40 Mins

Design wise the Olympus is very handsome and understated. It has a rubberized grip on the front that makes holding the camera easy and the camera feels great in the hand. The camera's materials are very nice with a metal front plate. The buttons and dials feel high quality and work smoothly. It's nicely assembled and feels sturdy. Size wise it's not going to fit into a jean pocket but will travel well in a jacket pocket or a small bag. Included with the Olympus is a USB cable that plugs into your computer or the included power adaptor. The battery charges in camera. Also included is a stylus to operate the touch screen, but I found the touch screen worked well enough that I didn't need it.

The Olympus has lots of features that cater to photographers of every skill set. For those who prefer to let the camera do all of the work there is an automatic mode, a handful of scene modes, and a few artistic filters (pinhole, fisheye, etc.). One thing to be aware of is that in automatic mode the camera will rarely fire the flash. The Olympus would rather keep the shutter speed low. That may result in blurry photos due to camera and/or subject movement. To make matters worse, in automatic mode you're only given two choices for the flash, automatic and off, so you can't even force the flash to fire manually. The solution is to shoot in P mode or the indoor scene mode, where flash fires much more readily. This is a pretty odd way for the camera to behave, and I think it is the Olympus' biggest flaw. For those who want more control the camera offers a fully manual mode that lets you choose the aperture (only two available at any given zoom), shutter speed (from 15" - 1/2000), and ISO speed (there is no auto ISO in M mode). Additionally, there are two presets for custom white balance. One thing I don't like is that the Olympus does not have a dedicated macro button. If you want to access the closest shooting range you have to enter the macro scene mode, which is completely automated.

Using the Olympus is easy. The buttons are well laid out, the menu system is simple and easy to understand, and the touch screen is very responsive. The thing about the touch screen is that it only controls a very limited set of functions. When taking photos it will let you tap take the photo or just set the focus/exposure. It works well and responds quickly. In playback mode you can use the touch screen to go through photos or pan when zoomed into a photo.

The Olympus is a very speedy camera. After you turn it on it is ready to shoot in about 4 seconds. It focuses at wide angle in about 1 second and the long end in about 2 seconds. It rarely hunts for focus, even at full telephoto. Continuous shooting speeds are also great. When shooting full resolution you are offered a choice of two speeds. The faster one takes a few photos every second and stops after 17 photos, while the slower speed takes about 1 photo every second and I stopped at 50 photos but the camera could keep shooting.

Photo quality of the Olympus is great. Color, exposure, and focus are perfect about 99% of the time. Overall, the photos have a very pleasant and appealing look with rich accurate color and nice tonality. However, the one place where the Olympus falters is with resolving fine detail. This is a small sensor packed with pixels and in order to combat noise (color speckling) Olympus chooses to blur it away. Therefore, even at the lowest ISO speeds, details like grass and hair end up looking mushy and indistinct. I'd consider up to ISO 400 as where you'd want to do most of your shooting, use ISO 800-1600 in a pinch, and stay away from higher sensitivities as photos look less like photos and more like blotchy watercolor paintings. Still, unless you're making huge prints, or cropping photos dramatically, you probably won't even notice the loss of detail and will be very happy with the photos the Olympus takes. The image stabilizer is very effective and I was able to take sharp shots at wide angle at 1/5 and at telephoto at 1/250. Strangely, the stabilizer will sometimes make a loud squeaking/farting noise at full telephoto. Be careful in a quiet setting as people may think the noise is coming from you!

Movies shot with the Olympus are quite nice. They are full high definition and have stereo sound. You can use the optical zoom while shooting, but you'll hear the motor on the recording in quiet environments. The image stabilizer is very effective, and movies are smooth and have little shake.

The lens on the Olympus is quite a performer. Not only does it start at a nice wide angle of 25mm (letting you fit more in the photo), but also the 24x optical zoom lets you get really close without reduction in photo quality. The lens is sharp, and even wide open at wide angle the corners are only a little soft. Another nice thing about the lens is that is starts at f/3.0 on the wide end. That number represents the lens' aperture. The lower than number the more light the lens can collect. Most cameras in this class start at f/3.3 or more, so at wide angle the Olympus will be a better camera in low light. At telephoto the lens is a not so great f/6.9, so you won't want to zoom with the Olympus in low light unless you have a tripod or are willing to live with the detail loss the required high ISO speeds will entail.

Battery life is great and I was able to take 386 photos with lots of zooming, reviewing, and menu navigating before the battery died.

All in all... a terrific mega-zoom compact camera.

Feel free to leave a comment with any questions you may have and I'll answer them as soon as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great non-DSLR alternative, September 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a professional freelance photographer, I try to take my primary DSLR camera everywhere. However, it's simply impractical, especially when on family vacations. I have carried a number of alternatives including the Nikon COOLPIX P7700 12.2 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Optical Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and 3-inch Vari-Angle LCD and the Fujifilm X20 12 MP Digital Camera with 2.8-Inch LCD (Silver). While those are different class cameras and aptly suited as DSLR alternatives in certain situations, I find the SH-50 just as suitable for nearly every situation with limited exceptions. For example, since the camera does not produce RAW files, in my opinion, camera use is limited to those situations in which you will not seriously post process images.

I reviewed this product from the perspective of a typical end-user looking for portability and quality with ease of use. This camera scored high in all areas. It is an advanced level point and shoot camera without question and will perform incredibly well for any end-user seeking high quality images in a convenient package.

Product packaging is exceptional with very clear instructions. As always, I recommend reading the manual- an often overlooked task. The product build is also exceptional, providing a very solid build quality typical at this price point. In fact, the next jump to build quality in my opinion puts you in the Nikon COOLPIX P7700 12.2 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Optical Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and 3-inch Vari-Angle LCD class, at a much higher price point (though it is expected to drop with the announcement of the Nikon COOLPIX P7800 12.2 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Optical Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and 3-inch Vari-Angle LCD. Note, this build quality also increases the size. Unlike much cheaper options, this camera will not fit into pants pockets. It is better suited for carrying in a bag or a waist pack. Ergonomic design is well thought out in all aspects and any complaints would really be nitpicking. The rubberized grip on the right side of the camera seriously improves shooting ability through a better grip and a stabilized hold. The touch screen provides limited value in my opinion, but its nice to see this option finally emerging. I do miss a viewfinder, which I consider critical for serious photography. However, this camera was not designed or marketed with that intention.

One of the most important, yet often overlooked, aspects of consumer cameras is responsiveness; and, specifically three key areas: time to turn on, time to focus and lock, and shutter time. In all three areas, the Olympus exceeded my expectations and I have found it to be nearly as good as my more expensive P7700 in this regard. Even in low light, the Olympus seemed to acquire and lock focus far better than expected. Keep in mind, for context, I am a full blown pro level DSLR shooter. This ability to obtain and lock focus means you will likely not miss those important shots of your family in action.

The SH-50 provides a decent amount of manual control for the creative types. However, it offers ease of use through fully automatic control with scene detection. However, in automatic mode, I noticed the flash rarely fired. As a strobist myself, I rarely shoot without flash, even in broad daylight. The camera also offers custom white balance though I imagine most will stick to automatic white balance, which worked very well in my tests.

Since this camera, like nearly all at this level, does not offer RAW files, image quality of the produced jpeg out of the camera is critical as most users will not post process. In this regard, the Olympus is likely best in class. Skin tones were accurately reproduced with decent, yet not over-saturation. The camera shot with minimal noise to ISO 400 but I would never exceed ISO 800 with this camera personally (I am a low ISO shooter by design). But, you can go to ISO 1600 if needed. Exposure and color were incredibly accurate in my tests. A key thing to keep in mind is the ability of the camera and lens to resolve details at increased zoom lengths (any camera really). In this case, the small sensor with the dense pixel design (16mp on a small sensor) cannot overcome the 24x optical (versus digital) zoom. Keep that in mind as you zoom in.

A final key selling point of this camera is the 25mm wide angle capability. While I would never shoot portraits at this focal length, the wide angle capability clearly opens up creative options for the user as well as more practical applications such as large group photos.

As always, feel free to ask any questions and I will try to respond as quickly as possible. You will not be disappointed in this camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Camera I've Ever Owned, July 12, 2013
This review is from: Olympus Stylus SH-50 iHS Digital Camera with 24x Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (White) (Old Model) (Electronics)
Beautiful form meets ultimate function in this camera and that's no exageration. I have had five digital cameras before this one, including an interchangeable lens micro 4/3rds Olympus that I liked very well. None has had the full features in a convenient size as this one does. The menus are intuative and easy to use, the buttons are comfortably and traditionally located and the anti-shake features are as good as Olympus claims. Best and most important of all the photos look extremely fine with little noise and the colors seem very accurate. Battery life is plenty long, but I did also purchase a spare. I do wish there were a way to charge the battery outside the camera, but there is a light around the power button to let you know when it is fully charged. I love the telephoto range and at this point no other point and shoot this small has such extreme range and with the superlative stabilization. You can use the full zoom without a tripod. I give this camera my highest recommendation. For an unbiased, extensive review go to [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera. Hits its niche., August 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had probably a dozen or so digital cameras in the last 10 plus years ranging from what was at one time top of the line compacts in the 1-2 megapixel range with at most a 3x zoom, to DSLR's, and superzooms in between. At one point I needed them for work purposes and was always looking for good photos and video shot at long range in different lighting conditions.

DSLR's are the best in the consumer class. I have an Olympus (E-510) with the 4/3rds sensor and a Canon (T1i) with APS-C. Both took outstanding pictures and despite now being several years old, are two that I have no plans to upgrade as for pics around the house and on trips, they really capture all the detail I need and most photos come out looking almost professional. Drawback however is the large size, especially with a decent zoom attached. I use them for important events but they sit more often or not as they are not fun to lug around for a long time or when I have no plans to shoot anything but want to be spontaneous and bring a camera along.

Enter the compact cameras. I have not tried any of the mirrorless offering as they still seemed to big and lack zoom but I do have a Panasonic zs20 and Olympus XZ-1 as my most recent upgrades. Those I got a year ago and are the best comparisons for the SH-50, especially the ZS20 which I got for exactly the niche that the SH-50 is designed for.

The SH-50 is built with typical Olympus heft. My E-510 and XZ-1 have great build quality. I love the E-510 despite it being 6 years old now. It was cheap when I got it but in the hand feels far better than a lot of the entry level Canon's and Nikons it was competing against (ditto for the lenses). So despite the fact I have Panasonics, Canon's and other "bigger" brands I think highly of the Olympus stuff which seems to be better build wise than comparable offerings in the same price range. The SH-50 has good heft to, parts that fit together well, and no visible manufacturing flaws. It comes with a battery, wrist cord, stylus pen, charger, and manual/viewer on CD. It also has a quick guide that basically just shows you how to put the battery in and turn it on. (CD has a manual on it. If you don't want to install the viewer and other stuff the CD will try and make you do, just open the files on the CD, go to manuals, and for English open the ENU pdf.)

Camera itself is a bit on the "large for a compact" size. This is bigger than my ZS20 and almost the size of the XZ-1. The small camera case I use for the ZS20 won't fit the SH-50. Still a lot in a smaller package with the 24x zoom and various stabilizing systems. It is a pocketable camera. No GPS but I don't use mine on the ZS20 so no loss.

Battery took a bit to charge. Looked to be at less than a 1/3 charged out of the box and took about two hours to hit full. It is a USB type charger with included wall plug in. Most of he USB charged cameras I have take a long time to charge up. Battery is a bit bigger and heavier than what I have in the ZS20 so it will hopefully last longer in the field (and probably why it took so long to charge up). No SD card is included but I had a 16gb Sony class 10 on hand that I put in. It powered up fine and I took it out for a test spin.

I have a few tests I run with any new camera I get and I ran it through the same telephoto, moving subject, and movie tests.

I will start with just normal photos. They are fine. Far less noise then the ZS20, despite both cameras having 1/2.3 sensors at about the same megapixel count. The XZ-1 takes better normal pictures but like a DSLR it has a bigger sensor. Cost of that on the XZ-1 is bigger sensor in a small camera, but with a significant loss of zoom capabilities. The SH-50 is a backlit CMOS so maybe this helps vs. the ZS20. The SH-50 has a pop-up flash that is hidden if you don't want to use it.

Telephoto was excellent in good outdoor light. I was surprised by the lack of noise (in all shots) and the telephoto was very clear at 24x and even a click or two when zooming later on the computer. Auto focus was decent and if it focused on something I didn't want initially it would choose a second or third focus point when I re-half pressed the button to focus. Very nice when shooting through something like trees. 24x zoom in something this size is outstanding. The IS system works very well. At 24x you still need to hold very steady as you are asking a lot of the IS, but if you can do it the pics turn out good.

Moving subjects in good light come out well in even the auto mode. I got some of the kids swinging and running around the backyard at about 630pm and some clouds so light was good but not great and there was no blurring. Definitely something I would feel comfortable with taking out to a ballgame or trip and getting good shots in a variety of conditions and while using some telephoto.

Movie mode is where this camera shines vs. the other compacts I have. XZ-1 tops out at 720p. ZS20 will do 1080 at 60fps but the IS not as good (and I like Panny's IS). The IS on the SH-50 for video though really does work great. Best movies I have shot with a consumer class camera. Again good light is a big part of that with such a small sensor, but assuming your lighting is good the IS on the SH-50 gives you buttery smooth video. Audio is good and you can zoom with out motor noise. Some focus issues if you zoom in or out to fast but overall very good and great detail preserved at max zoom. IS at max zoom is stressed and looks to float, but again at 24x that is to be expected. Working with it at near zoom ranges it holds steady quite nicely.

The only tip I will give is that you need to go into the "on screen" menu to change the modes as far as frames per second goes. The SH-50 is set up to shoot 30fps out of the box in 1080 mode. This is great for slow moving events, but I took a test of the kids swinging and then jumping off and got a lot of motion artifacts with the quick movements. I saw that my pics were 30fps. Went into the "menu" accessed by the menu button and found I could change 1080-720-VGA but nothing to adjust it off the 30fps. Even the 120fps mode isn't there. You need to look at the screen. Along the right are a series of icons. The one on top is a movie camera icon. You use the silver select dial to work with these. (Hello manual on the CD). This movie camera icon allows you to select the 1080i 60fps mode (Kids swinging and jumping of came out perfect) and the 720p 120fps mode. The 120fps mode is the best slo-mo I have used (The ZS20 has a similar mode as do a few others I have). The SH-50 though is 720p and captures by far the most detail. It isn't breaking glass or a drop of water exploding cool but for a bonus mode it is actually useable and fun. Good light though is a must in this mode or you will get detail loss and noise. For fun though it is neat and kids will love it.

Overall I'm very pleased with this camera. It is actually cheaper then, the now over a year old, ZS20 and takes better pictures (less noise, has more zoom, as good build quality, and takes better video). I like the ZS20 and in fact just used it last weekend at a 5K my wife was in and was pleased with the pics and video but the SH-50 is nicer especially with the better price point. I lose GPS but didn't use it anyways. The XZ-1 with its larger sensor takes better portraits, low light photos, and less then 4x zoom photos. It should though with its larger sensor, just like my DSLR's take much better pics then the XZ-1. But the XZ-1 has lesser video and no where near the zoom range. That is the trade off if you want to carry 24x zoom in your pocket, you need the smaller sensor to pull it off.

The SH-50 gives you the flexibility to take near and extreme far pics as well as video. If you are like me on trips or kids events, you want that flexibility of choice and are willing to give up that larger sensor to get some of those other benefits in a small package. If you are going to be shooting indoors and at close range and want small size look at something like the XZ-1 or similar bigger sensor compacts. With the SH-50 it will do decent photos inside and close but its niche is "small with massive stabilized zoom". It nails that and adds top notch video. For the price this is a great travel zoom camera. I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you need if your looking for an excellent camera!, July 8, 2013
I purchased this camera mainly for the 5-axis video stabilization and I was not disappointed. The camera seems to be floating through the air when taking videos while on the move. Another great feature which I like is the ability to just touch the screen on what you want to focus on and take the picture without having to use the shutter button. Pictures and video all are sharp and clear. The 3-axis stabilization when taking pictures also does a great job while the 24x/48x zoom is a lot of range for such a small camera. The camera is very well constructed and has a little weight to it. The only thing I did not like on the camera is the plastic cover over the USB and HDMI connections. A hinged door would be less inclined to be broken. Overall a great little camera.

UPDATE: One thing I've found is that it is extremely difficult to hear the sound from video when playing back on the camera. Most cameras have a small hole to allow the sound to exit the case. I have been unable to find any on this camera. I also have an Olympus TG-830 camera and the sound is very easy to hear. This isn't a big problem but could be for those who like to view and listen to videos on the camera.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too bulky for me, but not a bad camera, September 18, 2013
J. Maxon (Minnesota, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the old school look, particularly the pop up flash, but the plastic feels a little cheap. Also, for a point-and-shoot, it's fairly bulky. I couldn't fit it in any of my other point-and-shoot cases. The biggest problem is with how far the lens sticks out, even when fully reclined. It also doesn't use a standard Mini or Micro USB connector. You have to use a special cable by Olympus (provided) to connect the camera to your computer/charger. This means one more miscellaneous cable to keep track of.

The controls are simple, but the menu system is a little messy to navigate. The 24x zoom provides excellent reach for distant shots. The macro option was a little disappointing; it forces the lens/zoom at a fixed position so you are stuck using predefined settings. I also had a hard time taking a handheld macro photo that wasn't blurry, even with a fair amount of light on the subject; you pretty much need to use a tripod (or a steady surface). Not so good for moving subjects. However, the camera was able to use autofocus fairly close to the subject, I measured about 1" from the lens, which is about 3" from the camera body/image sensor.

There are no aperture and shutter priority modes, but you can somewhat tweak the settings under the manual mode. I'm being generous using the word somewhat. The shutter speeds go from 1/2000 to 15", the ISO from 125 to 6400 (expect lots of noise higher up the scale), but the f/stop for aperture is useless. Instead of moving up and down stops, you get two options depending on the zoom. Zoomed in, you get F3.0 and F8.7. Fully zoomed out you get F6.9 and F20. Nothing in between. And because you can't set the priority mode, changing one value doesn't auto-set the other, so you need to manually tweak each setting. On the positive side, the preview screen does show you approximately what the picture will look like as you are making your adjustments.

Overall, the camera feels a little cheap to me and is limited on options (no GPS, for example). It's bulkier than I like a point-and-shoot to be, and 16MP isn't the highest quality you can get for this price range. The best thing this camera provides is the 24x zoom, but for the bulk, I'd rather go with something a little smaller. For example, the Sony DSC-WX300/B is 18.2 MP with a 20x Optical Zoom and is half the size. Not to mention a better build, longer battery life, and a smaller price tag (currently $278.00 on Amazon). Granted, the Sony has even less features than this camera does, such as no macro or manual mode, but it's a lot more compact and easier to carry around. When looking for a camera, it really depends on how you're planning to use it. I like the Sony DSC-WX300/B for quick out-and-about family type shots, the Sony Alpha SLT-A99V for more professional shooting, the Canon EOS Rebel T3i for full control and good quality photos without having to lug around the A99, and the Panasonic Lumix ZS20 for the best overall full control/features on a point-and-shoot. I just don't see where the Olympus Stylus SH-50 iHS fits into my arsenal. That said, if it's your only camera, and you don't do anything overly complicated with it, it's not a bad choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly fine pocket super super zoom and not expensive either..., April 1, 2014
Very good pocket super zoom, very decent picture quality for a small sensor camera that is...
Color is excellent except for the reds that are noticeably exaggerated . Nothing that cannot be easily corrected in Photoshop.
Exposure, about the most consistent I have seen in any camera.
Resolution, theoretically great, in practice rather poor. Here is where this camera limps notoriously. Olympus chose to apply a very aggressive de-noising algorithm.
It is on at all ISO speeds and there is no way to adjust or cut it off. End result, very mushy images when viewed at high resolution; you can forget about printing 16x20s or larger, sorry...
Having said that, I must say that the camera still produces pleasant if not perfect images. It might even surprise you occasionally when shooting in low light.
User interface is easy to learn, quick and effective. Lots of features, very decent and usable HDR, panoramas and more.
Very limited manual controls but automation is so good that you might not even miss them.
Awesome zoom with one glaring shortcoming, light gathering power at the extreme zoom end is outright pitiful, it is so low that the camera has to use very long exposure times even on sunny days. Even the excellent stabilization system cannot cope with it and you are forced to lean against solid structures even in broad sunny daylight if you want reasonably sharp pictures
Using the zoom indoors with live subjects; forget it! Not even on a tripod!

Now for the real forte of this camera - Incredible videos, the stabilization system for videos is truly stunning, it is practically like having a "SteadyCam tm" built into the camera (for those who know what a SteadyCam does).
On the other hand, the superb stabilization comes at a price, and the price is very, very aggressive cropping, this prevents from taking full advantage of the excellent wide angle capabilities of the lens. Strangely enough, Turning off the stabilization does not prevent cropping, so that's that.
Manual controls in video mode are rudimentary, and there is no provision for an external mike. Nonetheless, the built in sound is very acceptable even outdoors (with the wind noise filter on).
Thankfully, touch screen focus can be fully enabled during video recording and that kicks it one big notch up making it, in a pinch, a very viable videographer's tool.

Even if the picture quality may not be to your liking, you may still seriously consider this camera for its video capabilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solidly built, great zoom, easy to operate!, October 17, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Olympus Stylus SH-50 is the most solidly build point-and-shoot I've seen. The metal body is sturdy and seems as though it would take quite a beating. The touch screen on the back is also inset just slightly, so that if dropped or dragged across a rough surface while flat, the screen wouldn't be damaged.

Perhaps one of my favorite features on this camera is the ability to take still pictures at full resolution while the video function is still recording. This eliminates the need for two cameras (one videoing and one still shooting) while I've been recording school functions. The quality of the video is outstanding, and the audio recording from the internal microphone is very good also. You can zoom in and out while recording, which was an improvement from my previous point-and-shoot, which would disable zoom when videoing.

The zoom on the camera is also incredible - at 24x, this means you're able to shoot a good close-up shot from the bleachers at one side of the football field to the bleachers on the other side of the football field. I was also able to get some good close-up pics of a humming bird in flight, and the pics came out with great color balance.

The camera functions very well in low light (must be a good sensor!) and I was able to take some photos using an IR filter (not attached, simply held in front of the lens pressed against the front of the camera and using the low-light/night shooting setting).

Potential down sides:

- The camera is pretty big - it's not one to slip into the pocket of a pair of jeans. I suppose it isn't easy cramming a 24X telescoping lens into a tiny camera. It's also a little on the weighty side.

- The touch-screen is a neat feature but drove me a little crazy - one setting enables the camera to take pictures when you touch the screen. The downside is every time you accidentally touch the screen (a large part of the back of the camera), it takes a picture. I ended up taking a bunch of accidental pictures just while manipulating the camera. You can turn this feature off, and I have left it off since discovering the option.

Recommendations:

- Buy an extra battery and charger - all these great features drain the battery pretty fast, especially when videoing and shooting.

- Invest in a high speed, large capacity SD card, such as a class 10 32GB card - as the camera can out shoot and out record some smaller cards.

Overall, I really enjoy this camera. It would be a great camera to serve as a family's primary digital camera for indoor/outdoor events, or for a school or organization looking for great shots without paying the hefty price for a complicated SLR type camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun easy camera, September 8, 2013
Nicholson (Pensacola, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera because I wanted an easy to use point and shoot camera and am familiar with Olympus cameras as I actively use some of their micro four thirds cameras. I was attracted by the inclusion of image stabilization as well as picture quality. I was impressed with the quality of the pictures from this camera. I do a lot of Photoshop work and this camera automatically makes pictures that are so sharp and bright it takes all the work out of getting sparkling sharp pictures.

There are also loads of special features which are just plain fun to use such as the mirror image function. You can make all sorts of freaky faces of yourself and others. The image stabilization takes the jerkiness out of pictures especially movies and gives them a smooth floaty appearance,within limits. About the only decision you have to make is the quality of picture. I set mine on high. Don't try flash with Intelligent Auto. One cool feature is back light control. I often see people lining up their family in front of a landmark with the sun coming from the rear. With ordinary cameras you get bad results but using the HDR back light setting you can get away with it.

This is not a pro camera as it only shoots in JPEG although you can use Photoshop on it. You don't get raw images. If viewed at high power some images can be waxy. It uses screen viewing only,no eye piece. Uses touch screen or traditional button pushing picture taking . I am a touch screen fan. There is no GPS. It will work with wi -fi but it requires a special card for this. It works best at lower magnification . It has tremendous optical zoom power but it is really hard to see what you are doing at high power on the touch screen. It could use a two stage zoom feature to make it more controllable when you zoom. The last quarter inch of the zoom lever makes the picture go completely bonkers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera for the Price, January 10, 2014
OK ,where to start. 24X optical zoom, 3 inch HD LCD, image stabilization better than anything on the market, HD video, incredibly high quality photos and more features than you can shake a stick at. I've had it for a few months and am still discovering wonderful new things that it can do. A camera like this would have cost well over $1000 a couple years ago and it would have been bigger and bulkier. As some of the reviews point out, about the only things this does not have are WiFi and GPS, but I could care less. What''s the point of WiFi in a camera. I like to have control of downloading the photos and videos, especially when I don't want them all. And I've never been a fan of GPS on a camera. Sure it's kind cool, but not worth the tradeoff of many of the other features on this awesome camera.

Rate and Discover Movies