Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Olympus Stylus TG-830 iHS Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Red) (Old Model)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 13, 2013
We purchased two of these (in different colors) -- one from Amazon, another one from Walmart. The wallyworld one already went back. They both have the same problem. The video (while very high quality) has an issue with the audio. There is a constant annoying hammering noise in the background of every video, especially when panning. It doesn't seem as loud when keeping the camera still, but move it a little and you will hear the clicking of the little guy with the jackhammer who apparently lives inside. We've tried playing with the settings, changing everything possible, and problem still remains. So it has nothing to do with settings, the battery, or even the SD card. This is definitely a defect in the Olympus TG-830 cameras. It is such a shame too, because the photos are very good, and the video (aside from the audio) is very good as well. I also loved the fact that it is a waterproof camera that is built to be rugged. I just wish the video was better on it. Maybe they will fix this in the next version. If you plan on only taking photos, you would be happy with this camera. But I would not recommend this camera to anyone who wants to capture their priceless memories onto video (at least not if you want audio to go with it!).

UPDATE: 8/14/13 - After returning the defective ones to Amazon and Walmart, we ended up purchasing one from our local professional camera shop. I had the chance to actually test drive it before buying. And lo and behold, no hammering noise in the video!!! So we finally got a good one. I guess it just depends on where you buy it and which lot they received. After using this camera on vacation, we love it!!! It takes great photos, underwater and above. The video is also very good (both underwater and above). Just make sure underwater you are using one of the underwater settings as it will come out with much better colors underwater. I would really recommend this camera, but ONLY if you can test drive the one you are buying first to make sure it does not have the audio defect.

UPDATE: 10/2/2014 - The camera is still working great after yet another year of underwater photos & videos! Love it!
55 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2013
This is a great camera for fun outside activities. It was used in salt water, pool water, waterfalls, and the beach. You can take it everywhere with you during a vacation or outing without worrying about it breaking. I had it in my damp swimsuit pocket for hours and it worked great every time I took it out to snap off a picture. It worked well covered in sand, tanning lotion and dry salt Crystals.

It was odd to rinse the camera off in the sink to clean it. I suggest this is done and the camera left to dry before you open any of the compartments. Also be sure to clean the rubber seals well when you re close the doors. The battery life is enough to keep you shooting pictures for the day.

The camera is heavy, but it is designed to be rugged. The indoor and low light picture quality is grainy. The Auto setting has trouble triggering the flash.

In all this camera is perfect for an out door camera. It will go on all your adventures and serve you well.
on December 1, 2013
I must say this line of cameras are the best I've ever owned, hands down. I had the first model that came out to go to Costa Rica with. Survived being dropped, stepped on, sat on, cold weather, hot weather, pools, and oceans. After 4 years, I had dropped the camera while one of the little doors was open and it bent the door. It still worked, so I took it scuba diving in Bali and after about an hour in the water the camera died. I took it to the surface only to find it flushed with water - gutted. I dried it out in rice for several days, and although it would turn on again it was never the same. Bought the new model and haven't looked back. I've used it all over the world and in several pools/oceans/rivers and has still provided like my old model :).

One more story that will build your confidence on this product:

I had bought my brother one for his birthday. He studies fish and is an outdoorsman to the max, so he's in and around rivers and rocky terrain all the time. One day he had dropped his camera in the river, and because it was a deep and quick moving river, they couldn't find it. Two years later, they were diving the same river and actually found the camera. The camera still worked!!! It took great photos, all seals were still in tact and working great, and the only "problem" with the camera was that the blue color had worn off in some areas. I could not believe that thing survived for 2 YEARS! I would highly recommend these Tough Cameras to anyone who may be looking for an outdoor camera, a diver/snorkeler, a snow border, or a person that tends to be hard on products ;)
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 6, 2013
When I bought this I was mostly looking for an alternative to the Hero, mainly because I didn't want 180° fish-eye, and wanted something with more versatility than just dedicated use, attached to my helmet. When I received it and started looking into the operation of the camera, trying things out as I went, I was quite pleasantly surprised with the features, quality, speed, and versatility.

It DOESN'T come with an SD card, which is probably good since I always replace the cheap cards with something of size and speed that works for me. I bought a SanDisk Extreme 32 GB for it, and it works great! The camera uses internal memory for burst mode, then transfers to the SD card, transparent to the user. It records 1080 HD at 60 frames/ second in normal mode, but if using the 120 FPS mode to create slowmo, it rolls back to 720P HD.

There are built-in modes that provide color and other corrections for underwater shots, snow (very bright) conditions, and many others, including night pix. The optical image stabilization works very well for me since I have a twitchy hands. I look forward to my vacation to try out the camera as a helmet cam. It weights in just under 8 ounces.

If you want a dedicated camera designed for sports activities, then the Hero 3 Black would probably be better (especially for diving!), but at $400, the Hero is a significant investment. This camera will do 90% of the job at 70% of the cost, with the added benefits that come with a small Olympus.

Picture quality is outstanding and movies are awesome.

This is a preliminary review. After my vacation where I plan to use it as a helmet cam while mountain biking and river rafting in Moab, UT, I'll update this with any issues I've uncovered. If there are none, then this review will stand, with a 5 star rating.
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2013
I had thought about looking around at a rugged camera after going on a canoe trip. I was looking around at the Fuji Film and the Nikon models and they seemed pretty good. I had loved the look of the Olympus TG-2 but it is a bit pricey. I also liked that the TG-2 had a f/2.0 aperture which is miles ahead of pretty much any other rugged camera.

I looked at what else Olympus had and the TG 830 looked pretty good, and was priced well too. I ended up choosing it over the TG-2 and the other cameras because it has the best zoom (5x optical, 10x SR zoom), It has the most video feature including 720p 120fps, 60I 1080p, and some other fun shooting modes. It if I saw correctly can take the fastest burst shots, as well as the functioning, shot to shot etc speed seemed to be as fast or faster than the others.

So now that I have it i'm very satisfied. The controls are very easy to use (MUCH easier than my previous canon 520hs).Controlling the settings on the camera is very straight forward and I havn't really had to question anything at all.. The Camera feels a bit awkward in the hand, it seems a bit large but I think it is just me getting used to it.

Video modes I really love, firstly the 720p 120fps is awesome and fun to use. However one drawback is the picture darkens down in 120/240fps mode and with the low aperture it makes it hard to get a good video without some decent light (This is mostly true for every high speed video camera though). There is also the ability to take photos in the video, and a mode that automatically takes photos at a set interval during shooting.

It has the magic art filters which some are honestly kind of fun I have to admit. There is also something I like alot, a handheld night mode which optimizes everything for shooting a picture during very low light without a tripod, It's nice to have it right on the mode wheel for easy access.

The zoom is fairly good with the SR enabled, (though you must have it at 16mp for tha to work). As well you can zoom during video recording as well.

I haven't tested the waterproof of it yet but I'm sure I will in due time. I reccomend this to anyone who wants a rugged or an extremely fast camera as well!
on April 20, 2014
It worked fine for two months, then one day I went to turn it on and it would not power on with a fully charged battery. I thought maybe the battery was defective so I purchased another battery with a wall charger. Still would not power on. I called Olympus and they said it was covered under warranty. I sent everything in, including my receipt which proved when it was purchased. I called a few times to get an update on the repairs as it was a few weeks after I mailed it in. I was told the contacts where the battery were dirty and just needed to be cleaned and it would be mailed back to me within three days, they also verbally confirmed that my warranty covered everything. Three days came and went and my camera had not been shipped. I called again and was told that I had to pay as they didn't have any warranty information on file for my camera. I was in the process of moving across the country at the time and had my copy of the receipt packed away. I was able to retrieve my credit card statement through Best Buy which listed my purchased and I emailed them the copy. I was told that the camera would be there the Wednesday before I moved. It was not, so I called Wednesday and had them change the address to my new address. They had my Camera for around 8 weeks or so. I was not happy to say the least. I just received the camera back and the first time I used it, it worked fine. I just tried to power it on to take Easter Pictures of my children and the power button would light up, but everything on the camera is dead. It does nothing. I took the battery out and held the power button down for a while, thinking it may fix the problem, but when I put the batter back in, the power light instantly comes on and it stays on without powering the camera. Also, tried using the other battery I had as well, still did not function. I am pretty sure that it is bricked. So, I have missed taking Christmas Pictures of my children and now Easter, and had to document their Holidays with my Ipads camera instead. I am not happy at all, and will be calling customer service on Monday....again. This problem has been ongoing since Christmas, and my money has been wasted. I am hoping they will fully refund me on the camera so I can purchase a different one.
on May 3, 2013
Solid construction, excellent picture quality and very good video quality. This of course is the result in shallow water or in open air. At two meters depth the light is not enough and some colour noise appears.
on June 26, 2013
I own three other waterproof cameras (Pentax, Samsung, & Kodak) but the Olympus beats them all. Both photos and video are the best of any of them. Underwater videos are very clear. There are 4 underwater scene modes, one of them being an underwater macro mode. The case that I found that fits this camera perfectly is the Tamrac 3814 case.
on May 1, 2014
I bought these for my company, whose employees use cameras in the field and are pretty rough on them. So far they have been very durable as promised and we haven't had any issues. The pictures come out well. There are extra switches/locks to hold battery and card doors in place, but I think this is part of the waterproof/dustproof protection. Overall a good purchase.
on February 20, 2014
This is my second Olympus tough camera. My first one is a SW1030 and is still working fine but is about 8 years old. I bought this one to take over the duties of photo taking on our trips. I did not hesitate buying Olympus given the experiences with my first one. It survived countless trips snorkeling, swimming haning on the beach and in tropical humidity. A few drops and being sat on countless times.

I have the TG-830 for just over two weeks and have been experimenting with the various functions in varying conditions. As with my other Olympus I am very impressed with the capabilities of these point and shoot cameras. But like all small point and shoots has some limitations. I will try to lay out my findings in short points for ease of reading.

1. Picture quality is superb just as many professional photo website reviews have noted as well. (not sure what the reviewers on here that say it takes crappy photos have been doing but it is not the camera.) I have displayed the pictures on my 55 inch tv and do not see any graininess or pixilation.
2. low light photos are good, and the hdr mode makes the pictures very well balanced, but works best on non moving subjects. they are far superior to the ones i got from my other camera.
3. The flash is limited to nearby objects which is expected but works great, used it in restaurants for food photos and subject photos it does not over expose the center of the photo and does a nice job of highlighting the object of focus.
4. Video works well have only played with it a few times, HD is smooth with no noise as noted by some reviewers. When changing zoom or when the distance to an object changes there is some minor noise created by the mechanisms but if there are other noises going on they tend to over power this. Slow mo was good but quality suffers slightly and is limited to only a few minutes of video at a time.
5. Battery Life..... saw several posts of poor battery life. NOT true. I have been using the camera for 2 weeks on the initial charge. I have taken about 100 photos and 5 videos as well as reviewed and shown pics etc to people numerous times. I did however use an external charger (my original camera came with one and just happens to use the identical battery.) Yeh for me now I have 3 batteries.
6. Camera functions are easy to use and access, although slightly different from my current one so I get a bit confused still on the buttons but if this is your first one they are easy to use and intuitive.
7. Start up is quick and multi shots are acceptable, burst mode has not been tried yet.
8. the 5x zoom is good and quality does not suffer,
9. GPS seems to work well and finds its location quickly, i have not tried the landmark function. I generally have left the gps off.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this camera. Photos are clear and sharp, has great functions, I would and have recommended it to many people. I think for the price Olympus makes by far the best all round tough cameras.

I have no reservations about recommending this product.

only 4 stars as like any point and shoot that does everything it has some short falls.