Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on June 15, 2011
Great outdoor pictures and Video, good indoor shots, easy to use, though fat fingers may struggle a bit..
Lives up to it's promise of waterproof and tough. Bought from Best Buy as they are the only ones that had it in stock. We had an earlier model and were updating for the HDVideo. I will be taking this on a 14 day backpacking hike, will let you know. Video is pretty good and pictures are also pretty good. These cameras do not expose well with flash and this one suffers the same fate, for close up flash shots you will want to compensate by setting exposure down 1 or 2 clicks but other than that the shots are good. And sometimes focus/ready will be delayed, I've missed shots because of that. I'm sure as I get to use the presets it will get better. Looking forward to the GPS on my treck. It works and this is great for iPhoto and tracking locations.. It also is a little heavy but that is what it's about, this is a tough camera and you can feel confident taking it anywhere.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2011
This is my second Olympus shock proof-waterproof camera.. The first one is still great and 4 years old but I wanted the extra features in the TG-610. The in camera panorama feature is so easy to use as are all the other features. Instant video button is a big improvement. I have been using it for a month now and have no faults with this camera. We travel a lot and a tough camera is a must. The monitor has a very clear sharp image even in bright sunlight which has always been a problem with point and shoot camera's. I would highly recommend this camera.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2011
I got this camera and would recomend it to anybody, even if you do not need a tough camera.
I think that even if you do not want a tough camera I think that it is still good to have one. The reason is because now compact digital cameras are very easy to break, unlike some cameras because they sometimes get made out of plastic, and other things like that to be light... I have also heard of many people breaking their digital compact camera and sometimes not even high drops.
Not only can this camera can detect faces, it can detect dogs and even cats! This feature works well however not aswell as I would like it to.
GPS positioning works also great on this camera, so does the barometer and the altitude/water depth information.
Some people look at this camera and think that it is not very powerful zoom however I think it is good and if I really need to, the digital zoom is good enough.
The built in panorama works good. What happens is you put the camera on the panorama mode and you take the first photo, then you can move the camera left, right, up or down to take the second photo and then the third. The camera can join three photos in one panorama, however if you set it on the PC mode it can do up to ten photos.
Over-all those are MY favourite features of this camera. Thank You for reading and I hope this review makes buying your new camera easyer.
on July 6, 2011
I was very hopeful that this would be a great waterproof point-and-shoot. I am an experienced photographer and own a range of cameras from simple P&S all the way up to full frame DSLRs but needed something for a pool, beach, and snorkeling vacation. While this camera worked well on occasion, its inability to focus on range of circumstances made for a host of ruined shots and missed opportunities. I normally shoot in the "spot" mode so I can choose what to focus on and when recompose the shot. About 80% of the time, it was unable to focus, whether in bright light, low light, high contrast, or low contrast. Overall:

Pros - simple and intuitive to use, good waterproofing, bright LCD display

Cons - terrible focus, short battery life, sensitive joystick (often went "down" instead of "select" when pressed - required a light touch)

I'm returning mine for refund rather than replacement, so I won't be able to tell if this particular camera is defective or it is a broader problem. I'm hoping for Olympus' sake that I just got a bad one. I can't imagine people being satisfied with it. I'll likely try Canon's waterproof P&S instead.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2011
I purchased this camera because I wanted a camera that could go with me where ever I went. Last year I purchased one of the waterproof cameras from Fugifilm (finepix xp10) and was not impressed, it felt cheap and ended up leaking water behind the screen after 2 uses. I returned it after that and went without a waterproof digital for the rest of the summer. This year I decided to spend a little more money hoping to get a lot more camera. I wanted pictures at the lake, on the river, in the pool and I didn't want to have to worry about my camera getting ruined while I was having fun. So far I'd say The Olympus TG-610 I picked is perfect camera for my needs. Right out of the box I could tell this camera was far superior to the fuji. This olympus is metal, the buttons feel much nicer, the screen is bigger and more clear, it just has a nice look and feel to it.

So far I've had it in and out of the water on multiple occasions without any problems, haven't tried snorkeling but it works great in the river or swimming pool. In bright light the picture quality is impressive, especially after reading poor reviews of other 'tough' cameras and the less than satisfactory performance of the fuji. I think this one takes good pictures, not professional quality, but plenty good to enjoy and share. Even in low light at concerts we have had good luck getting crisp images. The video feature is nice, easy to use and so far respectable results.

The only things I wish were better about this camera are the flash, start-up time is slow and there is a long lag between pictures. The flash always leaves a shadow behind your subject, it doesn't have the double flash that a lot of point and shoot cameras have today. Then there is the start up time. It seems like it takes forever for this camera to turn on and be ready to fire, then once you do get your first picture taken, it again takes a long time before you can get another one. There are a couple of different burst shooting modes available but if you are just in regular shooting mode it takes a good 3 to 4 seconds between pictures, with significant shutter lag.

That all being said, I bought this camera for outdoor adventure use and so far it has done everything I've asked of it, and I've gotten a lot of pictures, great pictures I could not have gotten without the waterproof feature of this camera. . . this is a must buy for the adventurer or summer outdoor enthusiast!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2012
After doing what I would consider a decent amount of research on underwater digital cameras, I settled on the Olympus TG-610. I was a little nervous by some of the reviews for everyday pictures, but this one seemed to be the best for the buck. I couldn't be happier! First thing I did was play (of course) with all of the fun features to get to know what to use for what situations. I was not only blown away by the number of options for optimal photo quality, but most definitely by the quality of photos that came with all of the options. I stuck the camera in my saltwater aquarium and came up with an amazing picture of my anemones, changed the settings and took perfectly clear pictures of my dog and cats. (also recommend checking out the automatic pet sensor option!) Flipped it to night, and took an awesome shot of my backyard. I have played with it in daylight, night, lowlight, 3D, and have been impressed at every turn. One suggestion that may seem obvious but escaped me for a minute is to make sure to wipe the lens off after you have it in water. Water spots really have an affect on the picture quality. Love this camera and can't wait to capture my adventures with it!
review image review image
on July 31, 2011
This is a very rugged camera designed to survive the elements lethal to most other point-and-shoot's. As to the qualities related to its primary purpose, taking pictures and video clips, they are about average for this class of photo equipment.
My major complaint is the much-advertised (and potentially very useful for the target customer base) GPS function, which adds extra $100 to the retail price (compared to the GPS-less TG-610) but almost never works. It takes the built-in GPS up to 20 minutes to get a position fix even under most favorable conditions where my wrist watch with a built-in GPS would do it almost instantly. Under less favorable conditions (around tall buildings or under tree cover), the camera GPS gets totally lost. Also, when the GPS function is enabled, expect a fully charged battery to be completely depleted in less than a day in the field.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2011
This was our second Olympus Tough camera...the first one lasted through 3 years of abuse...beach trips, road trips, skiing and snowboarding, pool parties, etc, and performed like a champ up until the end. It was a no brainer when the time came to replace it: I would get the 'new and improved' model of the same great camera!
Well, not so improved. The few pics I did get initially are gorgeous...but I did notice upon opening the camera the first time and preparing for charging, that the battery door was tricky. Difficult to open, more difficult to close completely. (the previous model was simple and easy to open and close securely.) I was displeased that to charge the camera you have to place the charger cord into the battery door and insert it directly into the camera, rather than take the battery out and put it into an external charger as the older model did. (my point being that I didn't like leaving the battery door open for hours while the camera charged).
On the fateful day, only 3 weeks after receiving this camera, I had been taking pictures at a party, and everything was performing well. My daughter asked to take it into the pool to take pics with her brother and friends, and immediately brought it back to me in tears. "Mom, I went underwater and it died!" I had been standing there watching, and believe me, she had not been playing with or messing with the battery door. Indeed, water had gotten into the battery door that appeared to be closed properly.
Olympus, please go back to the old battery charging method and door closing mechanism...too bad you messed with a good thing!
on November 11, 2011
I bought the camera thinking it would be great around my toddler as it was shockproof, waterproof, dustproof, etc.

After using it in various settings, I found I was disappointed with some of its functionality.

(1) Scene: It takes wonderful pictures outdoors in the sunshine. Indoor pictures don't come out as well - the colors seem off.

(2) Speed: When you turn on the camera, there is a significant "boot up" time before you can take your first picture. Then, once it turns on, it takes a long time to focus - which doesn't work well around a toddler.

(3) Battery Life: The battery life seems short. I ended up recharging every couple of days. With my previous camera - I had to recharge every couple weeks.
on July 1, 2013
I do a lot of kayaking and spend much time on the water, so I thought it was time to buy a waterproof camera. Before, I would have an SLR camera in a totally waterproof Pelican box (that I got on Amazon) and it worked great but that got bulky on long trips. I saved my money, and got the Olympus TG-810.

Let me warn you: After using this camera once and following all the instructions but getting water on it, I could see moisture inside it after I got home. After three days, the motor stopped working. I called Olympus, and I was told that that happens with this type of camera which is why it is no longer sold and even Walmart took it off of its shelves. That is always a huge hint: If Walmart clears its stores of an item in a flurry, that is a big warning to all.

I was told that when this happens with this type of camera, when you try to charge it the lens cover will open and close, and the computer will not recognized the camera when connected via a USB stick. It is a defect with the camera.

Stay away from this Olympus camera. Get a Sony or Nikon.

If you have one, I wish you the best of luck. If held at a specific angle and water gets on it some will enter. Olympus knows this. There are web sites devoted to Olympus problems with their waterproof cameras that are not really waterproof.