4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my TG-2
Published 9 months ago by Jesse naye

I attached this lens to my Olympus TG-2 camera.

The lens works to double the amount of zoom that my camera has available to it. However, if I do not have my camera actually "zoomed in", then the lens makes the entire photograph a big black field with a tiny circle of image in the middle.

In other words: You can *only* attach this lens for the precise...
Published 15 months ago by Tony Fabris

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: unless you are zoomed in, this makes everything a black circle., October 17, 2013
Tony Fabris (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olympus Telephoto Tough Lens Pack (lens and adapter) for TG-1, TG-2, and TG-3 Cameras (Black with Red Adapter) (Electronics)
I attached this lens to my Olympus TG-2 camera.

In other words: You can *only* attach this lens for the precise moment when you want to take photos of distant objects. You must remove the lens at all other times. You cannot just leave the lens on all the time and zoom out when you want a wide shot. If you do that you'll just get a big black circle all the time.

To be even clearer: Here is the step-by step of what will happen when you buy this lens:

- Install the lens.
- Turn on the camera.
- Oh my God, it's just a big black circle. What's wrong?
- Zoom in.
- As you zoom in, the circle gets bigger and bigger until finally the entire picture is visible in the viewfinder.
- Ah, that's better.
- Turn off the camera.
- Turn it back on.
- Oh my God, it's just a big black circle. What's wrong?
- Repeat.
- Then you decide you want to take a picture of something that is nearby.
- Zoom out.
- Oh my God, it's just a big black circle.
- Remove the lens.
- Can take your close up picture.
... etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my TG-2, April 20, 2014
Works well, easy to adapt and setup. Have heard some issues with a small circle when zoomed out, and found the instructions bleak on this. However you can minimize this issue by going into set up and entering accessories or something like that and setup the camera with the use of this adapter lens, which reduces this issue and gives you greater zoom capabilities. I recommend this product

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, July 9, 2013
This lens is just what I needed to get that extra close shot with my TG-2 camera. Simple to attach to the camera and then the camera has the settings to make that close up shot look great! I would recomend this lens & or camera as well As both to anyone thats on the go out in the eliments on a hiking or camping trip, or on the go with the kids on the baseball field. This is truly a great set up without the worry of the water, dust or an occasional drop leaving you without a camera. The TG series is truly a "TOUGH" Camera and this lens looks to be as tough as the Camera is!

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for long distance shooting., April 16, 2014
I had originally thought this would work across the camera's entire zoom range, instead you have to zoom the camera itself in to at least 3x to get the peep hole ring of this add on lens to disappear. Really only makes the camera usable at maximum zoom, but honestly if you're going to use an add-on telephoto lens then you probably will be zoomed in all the way anyway. Really helps with taking photos of things that the base camera couldn't get without being closer. Personally I only ever use it with the base camera set at its max zoom of 4x which gives you an resultant actual zoom of 7x with the lens. The only thing I don't like about it isn't the lens, because that thing feels like a brick of steel and glass that would survive an impact perfectly, but the lens adapter that clips onto the camera and gives you the threaded socket to screw this lens one with. That little adapter clicks into place but still has some wiggle to it, doesn't seem to present a problem though. All in all I like it, works well for expanding my capabilities of the base camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Compact lens!!, November 8, 2013
Carried this lens with me on a back packing trek to Philmont Scout Ranch in northern NM. I was fantastic for capturing far off wildlife, capturing the scouts as they did rock climbing. I have have also used it with the Macro setting with awesome results as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a zoom lens, but excellent telephoto, January 4, 2014
I found that what other reviewers have said about this lens is true: it is a straight-up telephoto lens that must be removed for anything other than long shots. On the default angle width setting, it is like looking through a pin hole. The black margin is eliminated only as you zoom in; that said, there is a reasonable telescopic range over which the picture is excellent. The optics (clarity, distortion, brightness) are typical Olympus quality. As has been said, the adaptor ring provides a lens cap for the camera, which should have been part of the base camera but was not. Overall the problem with this lens is one of convenience because unless all your pictures will be zoomed, you'll be applying and removing it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars I see far! You should see my shots of the NYC skyline at a distance of 8 miles east. Fabulous colors., September 16, 2013
Great accessory to a fabulous camera! It takes clear and sharp pictures in brilliant color. Easy installation. The lens provides 2 caps. One can be used on camera when lens is off since the camera comes without one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to have when needed., December 21, 2014
I think that all add on lenses are a bit of a hassle, but I went with this lens since I wanted a bit more reach for my Olympus TG-1. Once I found a small case for it so I could carry it in my pocket, I've found that although I don't use it often, that it's still worth having. I do a lot of long distance motorcycle travel and camping, and the TG-1 is great because it can live through adverse conditions. This lens seems to be built to the same standards and gives excellent pictures, and it makes my TG-1 much more useful.

Remember that that the TG series cameras this is made for have a setting for this lens and the wide angle adapter. When set for this lens the camera automatically zooms out to the correct focal length to work correctly without any vignetting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Important Clarification About this Lens!, August 19, 2014
A great lens if you know how it is meant to be used.
The lens is a teleconverter lens, not a telephoto. The Black circle is the normal result when the camera is not at full optical zoom. This lens is designed to boost the full optical zoom of the camera lens. The teleconverter increases the optical zoom ratio by 6.8x allowing for dramatic close-ups and crisp details without changing the aperture setting. In the 35mm camera format, this is equivalent to extending the focal length from 100mm to 170mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super clear lens and photos come out great, August 27, 2014
Very well made lens, fits perfectly on my camera. Adapter is plastic, but its well made too. Gave my TG-2 a little more zoom power. Definatly the toughest lens I've ever had. Super clear lens and photos come out great. Good stuff.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›