Published 4 months ago by MEW

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed.
I have the Olympus VN-702PC which I love. I thought this would be convenient because of the USB plug, not having to use a cable to transfer to my computer, but it doesn't work on my computer because my computer isn't a laptop and the USB ports are sideways. The weight of this unit pulls it sideways and I can't get the computer to recognize it. When I plugged it into a...
Published 3 months ago by D. R. Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing recorder! The pick-up is good, sounds clear in playback and transfer to computer a snap!, April 17, 2014
MEW (Athens, AL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Olympus WS-821 Voice Recorders with 2 GB Built-In-Memory (Office Product)
I have an earlier model that requires a cable to transfer the files to computer and it's long gone. The improvement here is a USB "plug" that is attached but hidden until you need to use it, when a slide of the finger along the left side on the button that can be seen in this photo brings the USB device safely in or out as required. This is a huge improvement over the older models as I don't have to worry about losing additional cords (which I lost!) and the transfer of files is simple and nearly instantaneous. After plugging in the device to the USB port of your computer (either PC or MAC), each recording is transferred as a discreet file that can be labeled easily after transfer. I've not experienced any sound quality loss in the transfer either. I'm incredibly impressed with not only the quality of the product, the sound pick up, recording and transfer ease and the permanent connector even I can't lose!

5.0 out of 5 stars Olympus WS-821 Voice Recorder, March 24, 2014
I love this recorder!! It is easy to use, and I can hear the playback with needing earphones and that is definitely a plus. It is easy to down load into my computer. I use my recorder for chorus rehearsals so I can improve my performance. It is wonderful quality for the money! I have recommended it for my chorus members.

4.0 out of 5 stars Olympus WS-821 Voice Recorders with 2 GB Built-In-Memory, May 7, 2014
Pro: This recorder works well for dictation with Dragon Naturally Premium. It was worth buying. I can dictate, create an MP3, and load it into Dragon to convert to text. It's a great tool for writing.

Con: Audio quality was not up to par for creating video voice overs. It has a built in microphone. I thought if I bought the optional microphone it would help. It didn't. You can still hear too much weird stuff in the background.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much better than writing!!!!, April 2, 2014
EASY, with well written instructions! Voice recording is very clear. I currently use this for change order notations in construction.I give this five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly the best choice in the sub $75 price range, June 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
With so many improvements, Olympus' new range of Voice Recorders easily sits atop the competition. Use it as a stand alone voice recorder or pair it with Dragon Naturally Speaking / Dragon Dictation for Mac and you have a dictation machine extraordinaire. I'll run through a quick list of the PROS and CONS of this voice recorder. The basic conclusion is that this is the one to pick.

PROS

1. Records to MP3 or .WAV - making the sound files compatible with every phone and computer type (Linux, Mac, Windows). Usually the sub-$50 voice recorders record to bizarre file types that make using the files more troublesome (proprietary software only).

2. Amazing Noise Cancellation. In the past I would remove the noise with a software program like Audacity (free) or Adobe Soundbooth. But this new Olympus Noise Removal feature is built into the recorder and does an excellent job. This saves me a few steps and lots of time.

3. Expandable memory for up to 32 GB of extra space. This means that I will never run out of space.

4. Built-in USB connector. Eliminates the need for a separate USB cable. Excellent

5. Doubles as a USB stick. With a 32 GB MicroSD card, this recorder becomes a huge portable flash drive.

6. Automatic naming with date and time for easier organization. The recorder also allows for grouping into folders and renaming files.

CONS

None that I can think of. Sure you may want touch screen or different colors. But realistically, these are not essential and just add to the cost and likelihood of problems (accidentally touching the screen and turning off the recorder, etc).

AN EASY 5 STARS

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, May 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a really compact, light weight and easy to use digital recorder. It has a built in USB hookup that conveniently slides in and out of the bottom of the unit. The built in micro works really well. It will literally pick up little irritating side or background noises. This is one short fall though. Even though the mic does a great job of capturing the sound, distance is truly your enemy. Whispers, rustling papers, etc. can be distracting if you're trying to record a presentation, lecture, etc. There are noise reduction options that you can set to eliminate some of those nuisances. The recorder is easy to set up and will fit snuggly in your shirt pocket. It's about the size of some of the small cell phones, but lighter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little recorder that is well suited for studying music, language, and acting, May 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great recorder in general. It's small, has lots of great features, and does a decent job of picking up the spoken word using its built in microphone. I also like the easily operated controls and large, easy to read display.

If your goal is to capture dictation, lectures, meetings, or voices in a conversation then you are all set. However, if you want to get the amazing fidelity this recorder can capture then consider an external microphone. Even the inexpensive Sony ECMCS3 Clip style Omnidirectional Stereo Microphone takes it from being a voice recorder to being a music recorder.

On a similar note, the built in speaker is intended for understanding the spoken word. To pick up on subtleties you will want to use headphones.

The reason I single this recorder out for studying music, language, and acting is for one feature it has that I haven't seen anywhere else. First, I'll describe two features that help with this which I've seen elsewhere.

Most Olympus DVRs and others as well allow you to set two points in an audio recording and loop between them. That is helpful to pick details or memorize a section of a recording.

Most Olympus DVRs extend that capability by allowing you to easily make the endpoint of your current loop the new starting point and then specify a new endpoint further in the recording. That can be helpful for memorizing long passages.

This recorder takes that a step further. It does everything I just described and provides one additional looping mode; after playing a loop it goes silent for the same amount of time it took to play the segment. That gives you a chance to alternate between hearing and saying/playing each section. This is a great way to, for example, perfect your accent when learning a new language.

One final note, this recorder doesn't come with a case. If you are only using the recorder then that is probably OK. I use the USA Gear Protective Digital Voice Recorder Carrying Case because it is inexpensive, the recorder fits perfectly, it doesn't cost a lot, there are places to hold my headphones, external microphone, and spare batteries, and it is nicely constructed and cheap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than a tape player!, June 4, 2014
Voice recorder works very well, but it is rather complicated to learn. The ability to have recordings in seperate files is a plus. The 2GB memory is good! Had some issues with setting the date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes My Life Easier!!, July 30, 2014
Dr. Joshua (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
I utilize this voice recorder to record, then transcribe word-for-word weekly lectures that I attend. When I transcribe I slow down the lectures significantly after transferring them to my Mac, which it works seamlessly with, and when doing so the noise filter and superb recording quality make transcribing a breeze. This recorder has everything that I was looking for in a recorder including a built-in "slide-out", direct usb plug similar to those found on flash drives. In a Mac, when you plug it in, it also functions similar to a flash drive in that it appears in the finder and your voice recordings in MP3 form can be dragged to your desktop or elsewhere. In addition this device includes 2GB of storage but what really makes it great is that you can insert a microSD card up to 32GB.

Pros:
Mac and PC Friendly
Easy Transfer to Desktop/Laptop
Excellent Price
Ability to Pause & Resume Recording
Recording Mode Options
Lightweight

Cons:
None!

In my experience this device beats all competitors devices, and I have tried many!

4.0 out of 5 stars do you need it?? Smartphone good enough?, May 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Overall, for the money, this is an incredible electronic gadget. It performs relatively well, considering its price point. Some reviewers knocked the recording and sound quality... I would agree, if it costs 4x more...but not at this price point. IMO, products like this will soon fade to smartphones, as they have excellent recording capability and 3rd party apps, and its one less item you need to carry.... granted, not everyone has a smartphone yet, but its just a question of time. For most uses, my smartphone suffices... but there is some rare times when I am forced to be using my phone, and therefore need to keep a recording device rolling.... be sure you look at the nice matrix above of the features and recording length of the different models so you chooz the one that best fits your needs. As another reviewer noted, a few more dollars gets you nice additional features and sound quality....as well as the obvious, longer record times.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›