4.0 out of 5 stars Everything, but...., August 10, 2008
This review is from: Olympus Zuiko 14-35mm f/2.0 Digital ED SWD Lens for Olympus Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
The Olympus flagship lens is everything you would expect it to be, but with one major flaw -- autofocus. This lens is scary sharp from corner to corner at all focal lengths, and even wide open. It has beautiful out of focus characteristics, and it has beautiful color transmission. You sometimes may hear people talk about the "magic" qualities of lenses from Leica, or Zeiss, or even some Canon L series prime lenses -- and they must now include this lens because it too, if used properly, will endow images with the same "Magic." And did I mention its flawless construction, and its maximum f2.0 throughout the zoom range, and its nearly silent operation? WOW!

Why four stars for such a stellar lens? Because, while it autofocuses lightning fast in good light, it performs abysmally in low light, and not at all in poor light. I make this judgement based on use with the E-3, and in comparison to the autofocus performance of the 12-60 lens, which is faster by far in all lighting conditions. Even the 14-54 lens outperforms the 14-35. And a second copy of the lens, and many calls to Olympus have not eliminated the problem. I should say that if you like to manual focus then the focus ring is buttery smooth with a precise feel and movement.

So if you rely on autofocus this is not the lens for you, but for everyone else this is a nearly perfect lens. This lens and the Olympus 7-14 f4 lens are both excellent reasons to sign up with Olympus Digital -- the E-3 is a sublime photographic tool with these lenses, and all of the Super High Grade lenses for that matter.

Olympus, if you will come up with a fix for the autofocus issue on the Zuiko Digital 14-35mm f2.0 SWD lens, then you will be the first to achieve perfection in a zoom lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Extraodinary Prime Zoom, June 16, 2008
This lens is an extraodinary prime zoom on my Olympus E-3. I have used the 4/3rds system since the E-1 was first available along with its best lenses. I started using the E-3 with the new Olympus 12-60mm zoom when they both became available and that is a great system.

As I thought back to my experience with some great 35mm film systems, I recalled my collection of single focal lenses that were generally the best available. As zooms became better, I started using zooms.

Now with the new Olympus 14-35mm f/2.0 SWD, I have what can best be described as an extraodinary prime zoom. In existing light situations at f/2.0 the quality of the images is just extraodinary and even better with the E-3 Image Stabilization and its sensor at ASA 400 to 800 when needed.

For those that might ask about the LEICA D SUMMILUX 25mm f/1.4 ASPH Four Thirds Lens, while it is a stop faster and very high quality, there is something very special about the quality of the Olympus 14-35mm f/2.0 on an Olympus E-3 that sets it apart with Image Stabilization. And, as advertized, focus is really fast on an E-3 with a SWD lens!

4.0 out of 5 stars Autofocus problem, October 9, 2008
I am the amateur but my wife is an established studio photographer and budding wedding photographer. We get great photos with the 50 mm F2 Macro and the 14 -54 mm F 2.8 - 3.5 but I recently bought a 14 -35 mm F2 to add to my excellent 35 -100 mm F2. Like the 35-100 the optics and picture quality of the former ARE SUPERB but we are having considerable problems with the autofocussing across the whole aperture range..

We have found it will not always focus properly for group shots. It very rapidly reaches a focus lock but then hunts back and forth then locks, frequently far too close. This makes the lens pretty useless for wedding groups, which is why we bought it.

We exchanged the original lens at the retailers but the problem remains despite returning the second, replacement, lens to Olympus under warranty who found it was in full working order.

Am I expecting too much but my experience of Olympus optics (particularly the 300mm F2.8 & 35 - 100mm F2 and 50 mm F2 MACRO) is far, far better than this. Were these two rogue lenses or is this something Olympus is now aware of and can be sorted with a firmware upgrade?

I do hope so!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty great., September 17, 2011
There is a definite difference between the High Grade Zuiko lenses and the Super High Grade Zuiko lenses.

This lens, of course, is Super High Grade. What does it get you? It gets you contrast and vivid color, and it doesn't distort. This lens isn't necessarily sharper than even a Standard Grade Zuiko like the kit 14-42, but the snappy contrast makes it seem that way (the whole sharpness idea has really gotten out of hand).

The image the lens captures is nuanced to the point where I really think it benefits from being on a pro body like the E-3 or E-5. This has little to do with the actual sensors in them (which are used in other bodies), and more because they don't apply as much anti-aliasing. The fact of the matter is that, with this lens, you want minimal processing; you want to see everything coming through. I have no experience with Micro Four Thirds, so I can't say what this lens would do on them.

I haven't had any problems with focusing (the firmware on my lens and my E-5 is up to date). I always only use a single autofocus point, so that may help. I also haven't used the lens in difficult places like nightclubs. I have, however, shot outside at night, and I haven't had problems.

One thing that's worth keeping in mind concerning this lens: it's big. It's not a little, lightweight lens. It's big, heavy, and conspicuous. It feels great to use and it balances very nicely on the E-5, but this isn't the lens you'll want to drag around when you go on vacation unless your significant other really supports your photography habit. It'll wear out its welcome (and your spine) after a few hours.

I am really a very big fan of this lens. You pay a lot for it, but you get a fantastic lens. You don't have to worry about it either. It's a waterproof tank of a lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this lens, December 19, 2012
E. Lopez (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Excellent for portrait taking. Heavy piece of glass. You feel the quality of glass your holding when it comes to Olympus lenses. Along with my E-5 or my micro four thirds OMD EM5 this glass is the best for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Perfect, April 12, 2011
I bought this lens in September of 2010 to use with my E-3 and E-30. As of this writing I now currently use the lens with the E-5. In terms of build quality the lens is great. The body of the lens is plasic, but it feels very tough and easy to grip. The zoom and manual focus rings work perfectly, it makes me wish all Olympus lenses had this mechanical focusing instead of focus by wire.

The detail the lens is able to capture wide open is absolutely amazing. As a result it has become the main lens that I use when shooting (formerly the 12-60). Stopping the lens down only gives you even more sharp results.

There's only one flaw with the lens and that's the auto focus in lower light. In good light the lens is able to lock on to subjects very fast and accurately. In darker lighting conditions the lens will hunt. I put some of the blame with Olympus for not putting a true dedicated AF assist lamp on the bodies of their cameras (Other than the E-1). I believe that if there was a proper AF assist light on the bodies that the auto focus problems of the lens would disappear (within reasonable distances).

All in all I definitely feel that it's worth the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar in Decent Light! Good in low light!!, January 24, 2011
Amazing and Stunning Photo's in the entire zoom range!! At F2.0, the pictures are outstanding. The only weak point is that it is not as fast to focus lock in very low light as 12-60mm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Results, January 18, 2009
I'm not a professional photographer but an amateur with a passion for capturing a special family moment, a sunrise on a morning hike or a sports highlight on the local town fields. I've had this camera for only a short period of time but have found the results to be superb. As noted, I'm note a professional and cannot speak specifications but I can vouch for the results. I was looking to upgrade my mid-range lens and this has done the trick. Two examples were in shooting basketball action shots in a poorly lit gym (without a flash) and the other was in getting amazing clarity and a nuanced background blur at some family gatherings. The lens will definitely provide with the up-tick in results you might be looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gem, April 12, 2014
This a very sharp and fast lens, one of the gems of the four thirds system. As with all super high grade glass this lens is well-built and tack sharp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite lens, April 9, 2014
I own several lens for my OMD-1 and this one is by far my favorite one, I also own the 35 - 100 and thats also a great lens but this one is used for more situations, thanks to the quality of the lens and because its a 2.0.

Rate and Discover Movies