5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens
Bought this from a NYC camera store and was delivered to me 11/11/13. I put myself on the wait list the minute it was announced so I am likely one of the first to get this lens. I have had only a few days worth of shooting but will put my initial impressions here.

Published 15 months ago by hp

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars until they fix weak mounting screw
I have had the lens 3 weeks and enjoyed shooting it as it is sharp and brilliant. I gave it 3 stars due to less than "pro" build quality. Christmas day my EM1 got bumped and landed on the carpet less than 12 inches. Lens screws gave and now its on its way to Olympus for a repair.
Yes its my fault it took the 12 inch ride to the carpet, but don't call this pro...
Published 14 months ago by rusty frets

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens, November 18, 2013
This review is from: Olympus M Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro Interchangeable Lens (Electronics)

Pros:

1. Superb optics. I am not a pixel peeper but no issues at any focal length even wide open. The lens is very sharp with fair contrast. No significant distortion. Slight CA. No noticeable vignetting in real life situations. I am not sure if my EM-5 is correcting for this lens with software. I have not tried on Panasonic bodies. All of this at a constant f2.8 throughout the zoom.

2. Size. No comparison to larger format lenses with a constant 2.8 aperture in this focal range. Others manufacturers might make FF and APS-C cameras smaller and smaller but they cannot match the size of the m4/3 lenses.

3. Very useful zoom range for the average shooter. This can be the one lens you can have for the entire system. It covers semi-wide to semi-long, good for landscapes to portraits. You might want to get prime lenses for bigger aperture, smaller size or shallower DOF/subject isolation but with the newer m4/3 cameras that do well at higher ISO, this lens is fine even for night-time photography.

4. Fantastic build quality. Olympus 75mm might be a tad better made but it is close. I should know; I own most primes from Olympus and Panasonic and a few zooms. I have tried almost every lens made for the m4/3 system from any manufacturer from friends. The lens is solid with good heft but not too heavy. It has good dampened rings which are as good as any m43 lens although inferior to lenses from Leica or older (pre-digital) lenses from Nikon, Canon, Olympus, etc.

5. Looks fantastic. I know it has nothing to do with picture quality but if I was not into visually pleasing things, I would not be into photography in the first place.

6. Lens button. I love the fact I can assign DOF to this.

7. Auto focus/Snap focus. It's as fast and as quiet as any m4/3 lens used on my EM-5. The snap focus feature by pulling the focus ring back is something that gives Olympus a significant advantage over other manufacturers. Brilliant.

8. Included hood and lens pouch. I thought h*ll would freeze over before this would happen. It is getting colder recently.

9. On that topic; weather sealed.

Cons: (Minor)

1. The lens is not fully retracted at 12mm. It is actually fully retracted at 16mm. Thus, if you store with lens at 12mm, the front element is not completely against the body. I am not sure if this will impact durability over time as it is carried/stored.

2. The lens cap is huge (for Olympus). They needed to redesign the lens cap due to the hood but I feel it is too thick now.

3. The lens crashed my EM-5. The camera crashed when I first attached this lens. I am not sure if Olympus will issue a firmware update. It was interesting to find out the power lever on the EM-5 is software based; i.e., flipping it did not turn off the camera when it crashed.

4. Made in China, like iphones, ipads and most other electronics. I was hoping for Made in Japan.

Overall, a great lens and highly recommended for anyone looking for an all-around lens for the m43 system.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not your average Zoom!, January 14, 2014
Honestly, what can I say about this lens that hasn't been already said? This lens has become for many reviewers and bloggers, either the Lens of the year or runner up. This lens has pro level IQ, amazingly fast AF and one of the most useful all around focal range for photography today. at 2x crop factor on m4/3 it behaves like a 24-80mm. It has nice bokeh and good DOF (Depth-of-field) at 35mm+ (70mm) and very sharp at 12mm (24mm) wide angle. Some sites have said that the 12mm f2 lens is slightly sharper but to me it's negligible. PLUS you get all this IQ and focal range in a weatherproof package! Pair that up with the OM-D EM-1 and you have an adventure waiting to happen!

Another question that pops up frequently on blog pages and review sites is the question between this and the high quality prime lenses out there for the m4/3 format. My opinion (just my 2 cents) is if you plan on shooting on nice bright days and don't want the hassle of changing lenses, then bottom line, this is your lens. On sunny/bright days you will end up stopping down the prime lenses anyway so you will get just the same amazing results especially if you pair this with an Olympus OM-D that adds in-body 5-point IS and Chromatic fixes in the software for this specific lens.

On the other hand, if you like to shoot in low light, have no problem switching lenses, and generally want the ability to achieve the maximum DOF (depth of field) you can get on the m/43 format than stick with primes. Though to be fair, the bokeh and DOF is perfectly fine for my taste on this lens at the higher focal lengths. Plus it has an amazingly short focusing distance so you can get pretty darn close to your subject which will increase the DOF as well.

If you are concerned with price, you shouldn't be. A lens of this quality at this price is an amazing deal. Here is my cost comparison/value break down:

If you bought the 12mm F2 and 45mm F1.8 you would be $200 above the cost of this lens (all brand new) and only have 2 focal lengths.
The equivalent price in primes would be the 17mm f1.8 and the 45mm f1.8 but you lose the nice wide angle 12mm focal length and gain possibly the "best portrait lens" for m4/3 cameras with nice creamy bokeh and sharp IQ.
To me the ideal prime set is the 12mm f2, 25mm f1.4 (Panasonic) and 45mm f1.8 which puts you at roughly $1800 give or take.
A nice f2.8 combo would be this lens (12-40mm f2.8 Pro) and the 60mm f2.8 macro giving you a fully capable system of varied focal lengths plus macro and medium telephoto capabilities all for about $1400.

Pros:
Extremely Sharp IQ corner to corner
Super-fast AF (I think faster then my L series lens tbh)
The best and most versatile focal lengths for everyday photography
Ability to get very close to subjects. Just a few inches in fact
Large Aperture for decent bokeh and DOF
Weather-proof!
All metal construction
MF 'choke' design for quick switching to Manual Focus mode
Includes a customizable L-FN button on lens for additional functionality.

Cons:
Big and somewhat heavy (though half the size of lets say the Canon 24-70mm f.28 L) - The size doesn't bother me in the least I have to add. Makes the E-M1 look pretty awesome.
Tube Extends during Zooming (would have liked the elements to stay within the lens, thought this would probably double the price)
Not the smoothest zoom and focus ring on the market. The other primes I have are way smoother. In fact there is small 'tap-like vibrations' when zooming. After speaking with Olympus directly they informed me this is normal operation.
Loses almost 2 stops compared to the primes available today for m4/3 format cameras.

I'm happy to answer questions posted here in Amazon. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding lens, December 31, 2013
I've owned Olympus' OM-D E-M5 camera body since Christmas 2012. Using the kit 12-50mm and the 40-150mm (24-100mm and 80-300mm 35mm equivalent) lenses I've had a fun year capturing photos. The camera has been everything I wanted it to be, with the exception of being just average tracking kids playing soccer.

But the 12-40mm f/2.8 lens takes the camera to a different level. I thought I was getting decent performance from the 12-50mm lens -- and I thought wrong. It's okay, for what it is, but it's slow (f/6.3 at 50mm) and just average in sharpness. With nothing to compare to, I didn't realize how it was holding back the E-M5's potential.

The 12-40 is truly top caliber. Sharp from corner to corner. Chromatic aberration cannot be found. Fast for extending the E-M5's low light capabilities at modest ISOs (I can gain nearly three stops from the 12-50mm in many situations). On the PC I'll zoom in on shots and be astonished by the crispness that simply didn't exist before.

Having never owned an expensive DSLR (I had a decent Nikon FE2 film body and some Vivitar Series I lenses in the 80's, however), I'd been lulled into thinking the images I was capturing were simply all that such a camera was capable of. The E-M5 is a very good micro four thirds body, after only the new E-M1. What difference could one lens make? Well, as it turns out, a great deal.

The 12-50mm has a smooth motor drive mode for video (which I rarely shoot) and a dedicated macro mode, which is nice. But the 12-40mm, while not being optimized for macro, turns out to be a fully capable macro lens as well, better than the 12-50, IMHO, because of its superior resolution and significantly faster performance and ability to isolate at f/2.8. The only step up for close up photography being to a dedicated macro lens. (And yes, I know that with regards to depth of field it is twice that of a full frame sensor. But f-stop is dimensionless, and with regards to light-gathering-per-sensor-size/exposure/ISO, f/2.8 is f/2.8 is f/2.8, whether it be APS, M43, full frame or a large format camera.)

The only thing I don't like is the price. $1,000 was a big chunk. But the way it has changed the performance of the E-M5 is truly revelatory. There really is a significant optical difference between a decent mainstream consumer lens and a pro level lens. The 12-40 lives on my camera now, and the 12-50 is going to end up on eBay.

If you've got the E-M5 or M1 and can afford it, this lens is a no brainer and will not dissappoint. Since the long end is only 80mm equivalent, I think even Lumix body owners can enjoy it's benefits despite not having the in-camera stabilization that Olympus bodies have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zoom Lens that is enjoyable like a Prime lens - My guess as to why, February 15, 2014
All good things that have been said about this lens is true. I will write my real-life non-technical experience as a hobbyist who usually likes the prime lens experience, but also having used a HQ fourthirds zoom lens. I was initially very hesitant to purchase this zoom, which in theory provides flexibility in focal length, but oftentimes at the cost of the "fun" and compact-ness of prime lens.

In the first 5 minutes of using this lens, the lens has already exceeded my expectations. It reinforced some of the prime-lens-oriented reviewers liking the lens, and here is my best guess as to why I like and enjoy the lens as if it was a prime lens:

1. For what it is, its compact(using on the EM5). If you have used film/35mm format, the size of this lens is on the larger prime/small zoom. This makes it easier to carry around. This might be a different experience for people who started with a small mirrorless system - see "considerations" below. Within this size, as noted by other reviewers, it is sharp corner to corner, and bright. The sharpness is the level of sharpness achieved by a prime lens. As I shoot a lot of architecture, I was relieved at the minimal level of distortion at the 12mm end, having been spoiled by the rectilinear 11-22 zuiko.

2. The build and controls are outstanding. It feels solid, almost like the old film lenses, and the metal-clad body not only has a tactility that feels reliable and has a great grip, but backed by its responsiveness - both the manual focus clutch and the drive by wire MF is so responsive that I'm no longer conscious about it being drive by wire. I'm guessing the manual focus clutch is actual direct manual focus, and the AF+MF being drive by wire, but I can only tell because of the very slight motor noise in the latter - again, I'm no longer really conscious of it when i'm shooting and this makes for a very responsive and smooth operation, switching between a instant AF and manual controls intuitively. This is combined with the instantaneous S-AF - the focus workflow just feels so responsive and an extension of my mind and fingers.

3. Constant aperture is the third thing that makes it feel like a prime - because I tend to shoot at maximum aperture(which, by the way, is already sharp and no need to stop down), zooming with a variable lens always decreased my aperture and changed the settings. With this lens, it does not feel like I am losing options when I zoom in - it feels like a prime lens throughout the zoom - I notice I am walking back and fourth more to compose to the fov I want with the exact perspective stretch I want since my mind now thinks like when using a prime lens - except that I can control the zoom. Its a bit hard to explain.

Considerations:
Size and Weight(coming from smaller lenses)
I could see that this would come across as a big and heavy lens for someone who stepped up from the previous micro fourthirds offerings - perhaps unbalanced and not recommended on the smaller bodies. However, this being a 2.8 constant, it is amazingly small and well balanced for what it is, and it would be apt to expect a realistic size and weight - I doubt anybody who has seen a similar lens on a larger format(or even the older fourthirds) will complain about its size. For my purposes, I prefer my gear to be not too light in order to hold it steady, as well as having enough room for controls.

Bokeh
The quality of bokeh(out of focus blur) is surprisingly good and relatively creamy for a zoom lens - Obviously the amount and/or creaminess will not quite achieve that of a dedicated prime portrait lens with larger apertures, so here it is important to have realistic expectations and perhaps look at examples on flickr. The bokeh is a tad harsh on certain backgrounds to pure portrait lens standards.

Minor Nitpicking
The metal lens cap looks and feels great, but they got rid of the side squeeze so you can only center squeeze.

As a bottom line, this lens is a pure joy to use. It is so direct and responsive that it really does feel like an extension of my body, and gives great inspiring results. This truly is an well thought out instrument. It is also important to be realistic in the expectation such as weight, size and quality of bokeh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly Sharp Lens, November 20, 2013
This is an amazing lens. The 12-40mm is a great indoor event shooting focal length so this is a phenomenal event lens or all purpose indoor family lens.

To get the equivalent lens on a FX sensor is going to cost you $1900. So the price on this lens is very good. Also, through Dec 2, 2013, if you purchased an E-M1 and this lens you can get a $200 rebate from Olympus. So $800 for a lens of this grade is great. It is also a much lighter and smaller than its FX cousins(Nikon 2lbs 5.2", Olympus .8lb 3.3", Panasonic .7lb 2.9"). Put this with a E-M1 and you have a very potent event shooter that doesn't break your back.

At f2.8, this lens is amazingly sharp from corner to corner starting from 12mm all the way up to at least 25mm. The next data point is 40mm and the sharpness of this lens really falls off by then. This lens is sharper than the Nikon and Panasonic versions and you can see that on my website. On a FX sensor, f2.8 is too shallow of a DOF for event shooting so I usually stop down to f5.6. With the larger DOF of the m43, f2.8 is imminently usable for DOF so it is excellent this lens is so sharp. Also, with a 2 stop aperture advantage, I can keep the ISO 2 stops lower. Since the best FX sensor is ~1.75 stops better for ISO, you get a ~.25 stop cleaner image using the m43 camera kit.

The chroma on this lens is about equal to the Panasonic version and is 3 times less than Nikon.

The construction on this lens is about the same as the 12mm f/2. Which is to say, it is top notch. This lens, however, is weather sealed. It also has the nice manual focus lock out feature found on the 12mm f/2 which works very nicely.

This lens has another very nice feature. It has a programable L-Fn button. The button is initially set for focus stop so once you have your autofocus set you can press this button to disable auto focus. That is not really very useful for me so I reprogramed it for focus peaking on my E-M1. That way I can click it back into manual focus and then press the button to focus peak without having to take my eye from the viewfinder. This is very useful for getting detail shots at events.

Panasonic also has a 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. Compared with the Panasonic, this lens has a slightly longer reach. It also is significantly sharper at f/2.8 throughout the zoom range. It is also weather sealed. The Panasonic has built in OIS so if you don't have IBIS on your camera or you don't plan on getting it, then the Panasonic might be the better choice.

Buy the Olympus if:
The very best optical quality is important to you
You need your lens to be weather sealed
You have IBIS on your camera

Buy the Panasonic if:
You want the OIS which is on the lens
You want the lightest smallest pro grade normal zoom around
Corner to corner sharpness is not that important to you.

Overall, the optics on this lens are exceptionally good. Besides the Olympus 14-35mm f/2 which I have not seen the number on, this lens is one of, if not the, sharpest normal zoom around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time was the charm, February 8, 2014
I was on the preorder list for this here on Amazon, so I got one of the earliest copies that Olympus released. The construction is very solid and the weight is slightly high for an M4/3 lens, but nothing to worry about. I find the slight heft to lend itself nicely to the feel and perceived durability of the optic. The only problem I've had with this lens was on the first copy I received. Within 20 minutes of general us - I was actually photographing something for online auction - the lens inexplicably locked itself out at the max zoom. I got nervous. In 15 years of pro shooting I've never had a lens lock up on me like that. Not Nikon, not Canon, not Fuji, not Tamron, not Panasonic, not Olympus. The quality of the lens ushered in even more surprise as it doesn't feel cheep or poorly designed. I finally managed to get it to back in by applying slight pressure to the front element while rotating the zoom ring. It did it a few more times over a 24 hour period. I sent it back to Amazon for an exchange, which took several days to get in obviously, because of the early demand. Since getting the new copy I've had no issues.

I've only been shooting M4/3 for a few months now, but I really am enjoying it. The Olympus E-M1 is literally the funnest camera I've ever used (review coming once I do a few more tests) and this is the camera I've used to test this lens.

As I've mentioned, this lens has a wonderful weight and design and the quality is top shelf. When I was looking for a lighter/smaller, general shooting/international travel kit I first went with the Fuji X system after offing my secondary full frame DSLR and lenses. This isn't a Fuji review, but the gear was mostly aces except for the plastic, flat X-E1/2 bodies. The lenses, however, have a VERY solid and esthetically pleasing designs (though some, like the 23mm 1.4 have terribly slow AF) and this 12-40 is reminiscent of that. To me, this Olympus lens feels more solid, despite it's smaller size overall. If you've used to or are familiar with the Fuji X lenses, this Olympus will feel akin to that class of optic.

Performance is very solid with quick and quiet AF. The AF is very accurate and really isn't fooled easily. Yes, the camera plays a role in all of this, but the partnership is excellent. I also found it quiet in continuous AF while shooting video as long as you're letting the camera acquire the focus. Pressing the shutter half way will generate gear noise as it realigns the optics to a great degree. The manual focus sift ring - also very similar to the newer Fuji X series - is a nice touch and works well. The lens is pretty sharp even wide open and does well stopped down a bit. I'm not a pixel peeper at the corners by any stretch, but nothing I've taken stood out to me because of negative attributes. I've been shooting Nikon FF with pro optics most recently (and still do for work) and the biggest hurdle I've had to overcome in moving to M4/3 for personal work is the inherent resolution/noise limitations of sensors by comparison. However, for practical purposes, it's not much of a problem. I say that to argue that if I'm not seeing red flags going up when reviewing my images, this lens is more than doing it's job.

I've not put this under a running faucet to test it's splashproofness, but I've seen videos of others doing it with splendid results. I have, however, had it out in mist, light rain, sleet and snow with zero complications. I've not done a freeze test either, but it performed admirably in snow in temps in the mid to lower 20s. As far as dustproofness, well I can't attest to that as deeply yet, but I have used it on the beach with flying sand shooting an athletic event and no grains seems to get inside the body. Yes, grains are bigger than fine dust, but it's the best testament I can give right now. I was able to blow grains off the camera/lens with no complications. This will be in my travel kit to Africa this summer and that will be excellent testing grounds for this area as I usually have to clean my cameras and optics a few times a week because the orange dust begins to layer up on them. I'll follow up toward the fall if anything changes or to give added testimony.

Overall, it's very hard to fault this lens. The stuck zoom aside on the first draft, I find this lens to be stellar, even for the money. An optic of similar performance on a traditional DSLR will easily run you close to double or at least a few hundred dollars more. Even the Tamron equivalent is $300 or so more, but it does include vibration control. Olympus leaves that up to the camera body and the 5-axis system in the E-M1 is the best I've ever experienced, even versus optically controlled systems. So, in a nutshell, it's no MORE expensive than any quality 2.8 of this range on the market. It's a 24-80 focal length equiv, so you do get a bit more reach, and what it might lack in, say, optical stabilization, it makes up for in exceptional environmental sealing. You won't see too many folks put their Canon or Nikon's under the faucet :)

I have NOT used the supposedly excellent Panasonic 12-35 2.8 lens, so I can't compare them. I know that the Panny is also supposed to be dust and splash proof and does have the built in OIS, but it's over $100 more as well.

In a nutshell this 12-40 2.8 Oly performs very well and it's added durability and looks make it a winner in my book and a welcome addition to the ever-expanding M4/3 lens arena. If you require faster optics in a zoom lens, this is a very good option in my opinion. Oly's claims about it's capabilities are certainly holding up for me so far and I'll easily change my rating in the future if I find that it comes up short in the field. With the (currently) available rebates that Oly has set in place it becomes an even better option. I purchased this with the E-M1 body and the pair qualified for a $200 mail-in rebate on the lens - making it $800, which is a bargain for this quality of lens. I'm highly looking forward to the upcoming 40-150 2.8 that will fall in this same class. This lens has easily met my expectations and I have no hesitations in highly recommending it to anyone seeking its performance level.

BONUS: You actually get a freak'n lens hood with it! I guess Olympus decided to make the concessions with the zooms because their prime certainly don't come with them. Rediculous...

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy and expensive?, April 24, 2014
Andrew Fildes (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
Several reviews have added the slight grumble (after glowing praise) that this is a heavy and pricey lens. Nonsense. This is the lens that with the E-M1 body, allowed me to shift out of Canon. The lens costs between $8-1000. The equivalent Canon, the 24-70mm f/2.8 is double that and double the weight - and a 6D will cost you a lot more than the E-M1 as well and is less friendly (how many customiseable buttons on the Oly - at least 7!)
No, compared to the REAL compettion, it is light weight and a bargain.
It was the edge to edge sharpness that got to me when I first used it - Oly lent me one to review - I bought my own soon afterwards. And sold all my Canon gear. My back and wallet threw a party to celebrate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, changes the nature of my OMD EM5 in a delightful way, and replaces a number of my other lenses, April 10, 2014
Many others have covered the excellent qualities of this lens in detail, and I second many of these comments - outstanding build quality, sharp as a tack across the zoom range, elegant to operate, extends the UI of your camera with another Fn button.

So, I'll spend a little more time two points of my personal experience: 1) the way in which this critically extends the flexibility and convenience of a m4/3rds body like the OMD's and 2) the many lenses I will now replace with the 12-40.

Regarding the enhanced flexibility this lens brings, it honestly surprised me a bit, but in retrospect, makes sense. Adding 1-2 stops of speed across this zoom range vs. options like the 12-50 kit lens makes a night and day difference for my everyday shooting, while the convenience to frame via zoom vs. primes has always been a strong preference of mine going back to film days, and now I can do so without compromise as function of focal length. Cool! Indoors, I get way more flexibility in shutter speed (isolate action, avoid blur) and/or ISO (reduce noise). Outdoors, I can play with DOF more without resorting to primes, and can shoot at really low ISO for lowest possible noise. While I knew intellectually that this would be the case, the *degree* to which this lens opens the operating window of my OMD under a wide range of shooting conditions is just remarkable. It's like I was sitting on the head of a pin with some of the other lenses I own, without much room to move before making a big compromise in image quality (e.g., too slow shutter, too high ISO). I'm using my OMD more a result, and having more fun to boot!

Regarding lenses I'll now sell as a result of this purchase, here is the low down: Selling my Sigma 19mm f2.8, Sigma 30mm f2.8 (both very nice primes), the Oly 12-50 kit lens, and perhaps even my Oly 9-18mm wide angle zoom. Will keep my long zooms, the Oly 14-150 and 75-300 for those occasions when long zoom is needed, and my Pany 14mm f2.5 as my most compact option for those times when total size of camera+lens matters. The one other purchase I am still considering is Oly's new compact zoom, for street shooting and vacation photos in bright light.

Net, this is my single best lens purchase yet, makes the most difference to me in the real world. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super all around general zoom., February 9, 2014
I own six MFT prime including the much touted 75mm f1.8.

This zoom surprised me - feels prime sharp wide open, if not as sharp as the 75mm on the long end.

The surprising thing is that the f2.8 feels a bit faster than I thought it would. My ISO did not drop as much as I anticipated. What i do indoor is drop the shutter to 1/40th and trust the camera stabilization system. Wonderful results.

This is now my general go to lens when taking a rig during the day - and this is coming from a prime centric photographer. My daily rig is now a simple 12-40 f2.8 as my on board, 20mm f1.7 for the really low light shots, and 7.5mm Rokinon fish eye for the really wide shot. Three light weight lenses that will cover 95% of my daily needs and give superb sharpness. (That Rokinon is as good as my 75mm f1.8 in my opinion - pixel sharp at 1/20th second!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Quality, May 15, 2014
This is truly a "Pro" lens. I am a long time Leica user with a bunch of Leitz lenses, and one of the reasons that I use Olympus SLR cameras as well, is the close "look" the Oly Zuiko lenses have to the Leitz glass. This lens is one of the best in my bag including my Leica lenses. The build is what one would expect from a professional lens. Very sturdy and tight construction. Because of the metal construction this lens is one heavy bugger, probably as heavy as the M1 camera it is attached to. The auto focus of this lens is extremely fast and quieter than other auto focus lenses I have used (compared to other auto focus lenses used on my Oly E1 digital SLR). Optically this lens is phenomenal. I have used this lens for about a month on numerous subjects from extreme close ups to portraits. It's so sharp that the portraits need to be "un-sharpened" in Lightroom/Photoshop. Color rendition is great but of course depends on how the camera is set up. I am beginning to think that this lens will remain on the camera, never needing removal. Other being a bit heavy, this will be my main carry around lens.