Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon February 23, 2008
A 2X teleconverter requires a lot. Not only does it have to have good optics itself; it has to link well to the primary lens, supporting quick focus and aperture settings. It requires high end optics on the far end of the teleconverter, as well. The Zuiko 2X teleconverter easily meets these requirements.

Used with the Olympus E-3 and the Zuiko 300mm f2.8 lens over the course of two weeks in the field, it performed flawlessly. Autofocus, even on birds in flight, was quick and reliable. I've cropped photos taken with the teleconverter and my 300mm by as much as 50% and not been able to find any defects or flaws. The focus is crisp across the image. Because the Olympus System uses Four Thirds technology, with a much smaller sensor than most digital SLRs, the potential for problems is probably higher. I encountered none.

This is a fine piece of optics that does exactly what you ask of it. Highly recommended.
66 comments| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2008
OK, let's get this out of the way -- the EC-20 isn't cheap. You can buy a nice lens for your E-system camera for less than this guy costs.

But once you start looking past the "kit" lens(es) you bought with your camera, you'll want to move up to Olympus' higher-grade optics. And if you ask me (although I'm quite aware you haven't), the EC-20 should be one of the first upgrades you look at.

Coupled with the 50mm f/2.0 macro lens, it's a boon to close work -- letting you get frame-filling images without having to be on top of your subject. For everything else, it can essentially double the number of lenses you own, presuming you plan ahead a bit when you buy them. Buy the EC-20 as your first step up from your kit lens(es), and you'll save yourself money (and weight!) over the long haul.

And did I mention that images you take with it are tack sharp?
on April 24, 2008
I just purchased Olympus Zuiko EC-20 2x Teleconverter. I have used it with the Zuiko 14-54mm zoom, the Zuiko 18-180mmm zoom and the Zuiko 70-300mm zoom on an Olympus E-330 with much success. I couldn't be more pleased. I'm accustom to Nikon film cameras with high dollar Nikon glass, but I am very pleased with Olympus digital products. I have already gotten some beautifully sharp, calander quality, wildlife pics @ 1200mm (35mm equiv) with the Zuiko 70-300mm four thirds digital zoom. Simply Amazing! I have paid Nikon much more for much less.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2008
Fantastic piece of optics. I am a professional photographer and it's primary use will be to work with my Olympus 70-300mm zoom, creating the 35mm equivalent of 280-1200mm...WOW!!! Giving up 2 f-stops is no big deal when the trade off is such incredible magnification, short focal distance and cost savings compared to fixed 1200mm lens out on the market. Remember to check for lens compatibility before purchasing!
on August 27, 2008
I have been using Olympus 4/3 equipment since the advent of the E-1. I thought that the 2X teleconverter would be a nice addition to my lenses. Using my 50-200 mm zoom I was disappointed that the otherwise amazingly sharp lens became very soft wide open (f7) with the teleconverter. By upping to f11 the image sharpened and useable. Of course, I was hoping for a quick and dirty way to get a truly super-telephoto lens but it was not to be. i think that it was my expectation rather than the lens performance which was at fault here but none-the-less I thought it would be worthwhile to post this review to advise others that the combination of the 2x and the 50-200mm has some problems. Also, I was surprised to find that the lens was actually manufactured in China, not Japan. The build quality is excellent and for those who have lesser expectations this might be a very good choice. One needs a VERY fast lens with this piece of equipment. i have returned the teleconverter and will search for another purpose built option.
on July 22, 2009
I was using the EC-14 with the 50-200 mm f2.8-3.5 SWD lens on the Olympus E-30 and was obtaining mixed results. Sometimes autofocus would take a long time to happen, sometimes the images weren't so good. I just couldn't understand it, because this combo had yielded excellent results on the E-520. I asked around in the photography forums, fiddled with the camera configurations and still wasn't happy.

Meanwhile, the EC-20 was just sitting there waiting for its chance. One day, frustrated, I thought, "What the heck!" and put it on the E-30 with the 50-200 mm lens. Everything changed: autofocus became quick and reliable, the number of keeper images increased dramatically and I got some fantastic shots. I do mostly bird photography and that extra distance can, many times, be the difference between getting and not getting a shot. But a 2x teleconverter making this much of a difference in relation to a 1.4 teleconverter, well, it makes no sense.

Truth be told, I was resistant to using the EC-20 because of the loss of 2 f/stops: less light in a system that performs better in good light could mean disaster. But apparently my fears were unfounded. Autofocus is great even in difficult situations (common when photographing birds in bushes, for instance), image quality is flawless, the whole combo is performing like a dream even when the light isn't adequate.

Olympus classifies the EC-20 as a "standard" lens, while the EC-14 is a "high grade" lens. I don't see any difference in build -- and I must confess that the first thing I did with the EC-20 was drop it from about 3 feet onto a carpeted floor, with no damage whatsoever to it -- or optic quality, so don't know where this distinction comes from. I have to presume that the EC-14 is water-resistant like all HG lenses, whereas the EC-20, being a standard lens, is not. No problem for me, since my camera isn't water-resistant either.

Considering the abuse the EC-20 has suffered in my hands and the results I'm getting with it, there is only one logical conclusion for me: my dollars were well spent on these fine optics.
on November 24, 2014
I'm using this Teleconverter with my Olympus E-5 and my Zuiko 50-200 F2.8-3.5 telephoto lens and it works superb. Gives my lens a 400mm reach at F7.0 that I would not have and it does not degrade the photo's to any real noticeable extent. If you are hesitating to buy this teleconverter I can tell you that in my opinion it's well worth the money. It's a darn site cheaper than a comparable telephoto lens and Olympus glass is some of the finest on the market.
on September 2, 2014
I had a 2x multiplier that I purchased for about half this price a couple of years ago and I hated it. It was terribly distorted and gave a fish-eye look to the photos. I read the reviews on this one and purchased it because everyone loved it. I'm not disappointed. I get crisp, clear, undestorted photos. It's perfect for taking long distance photos of wildlife. You loose about 2 F-stops, but it's worth it. You wouldn't normally use this for indoor or low-light photography anyway. I definitely recommend it.
on March 7, 2009
The Olympus Auiko EC-20 2X Teleconverter for Olympus Digital SLR Cameras
is a wonderful addition to your lens set. Light loss is minimal, (Just
the amount associated with doubling image size). Solidly built. Converts
my Sigma 50-500 to an amazing 100-1000mm! Great combo.

Gary
on October 7, 2010
I use this teleconverter a great deal with my 50-200mm lens when shooting wildlife. The pictures are sharp, and it only takes minimally longer to focus than without it. I've also found it very handy with both my macro and my wide angle lenses. I shoot mostly in daylight so the lost of f-stops is no problem. I recommend this for anyone who wants to take long-distance photos but can't afford the thousands of dollars it cost for a high-end lens.