1,431 Reviews
 (1,099)

2,740 of 2,768 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Omega 8006
Note: I give the 4 star rating because I believe that there is not a perfect juicer out there. The centrifugal and masticating both have their pluses and minuses. so picking one or another is always compromise. Here is my view.

Published on February 9, 2012 by M. Neubauer

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning**** No Customer Service for Broken Units
Published 20 months ago by johnnytech

2,740 of 2,768 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Omega 8006, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer - Black and Chrome (Kitchen)

I did a lot of research on this, after, as many of you, saw the film Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I'd always been interested in juicing, and had a 30 year old Vita-mix that I could never get the results I wanted out of (not the machine's fault), so a dedicated juicer really made sense.

I did NOT want to make fruit juices! I wanted to stay away from large amounts of sugars. I also realized how little vegetables our family really ate, especially the leafy green ones, so that pointed me towards the masticating type of juicer. While I have no doubt with centrifugal types of juicers leafy greens can be done satisfactorily with a little strategy, my research was clear that the masticating type was preferable for leafy greens. A centrifugal juicer works better on softer fruits (so they say).

My next requirement was due to my DNA... I do not have the cleaning gene sequence, apparently, so I wanted something that was easy to clean, and my research told me a centrifugal model would NOT meet my needs. If it was too tough to clean it will never get used (I love my Cuisinart, but it is lonely, spending time in the cupboard, for that reason).

So I got the Omega 8006, because it matched my kitchen better and did not have sales tax vs the 8004 (basically same model, chrome vs white). I was chicken to spend the extra $100 on the upright VTR350, as I wasn't sure how we might use it.

So, after 1 month+, using twice a day (minimum), here are my thoughts.

We love it! We enjoy juice multiple times a day (and my 16 year old son, who complains about everything, drinks it, albeit begrudgingly). We've taken it on the road to a soccer tournament, and drank juice away from home as well. It has a permanent home on the kitchen counter now (With a wife that has to "put everything away", that is a great indicator to how important it is to us now). We often juice as a family, with my wife washing the veggies, my son cutting them up into smaller than needed pieces (<rolling eyes> I guess he likes the knives) and me feeding the juicer.

Some of the pluses
-If it fits in the chute, it can usually handle it. Harder produce may need cutting.
-The pulp is dry enough that I've never looked and thought "I could get more juice out of that"
-The motor has NEVER given the slightest inclination of straining.
-4 main parts, very easy to put together and disassemble.
-No heat build up in the juice.
-It cleans up relatively quickly (or just drop the disassembled parts in a bowl of water for cleanup later, don't let it dry)
-Fairly quiet. You can have a conversation standing over it (and we often do).
-We now have massive amounts of compost for the garden.
Basically, it just does the job!

Cons (not really cons to me, but some things to realize)
-The chute is a bit small.
-Hard produce will go easier and quicker if sliced
-This is not like the commercials where they toss a bunch of veggies into the chute and WHIRRRRRRRR: Juice! It is slower and is more methodical.
-You DO have to clean it.
-Fresh produce takes time to purchase, and is not cheap. Do some research, and you might find organic produce worth the cost.
-The plastic on the output cups is opaque and can stain from greens, carrots or beets if you don't wash it good.
-If you are making juice for 2 or 3, the cup is not quite big enough to hold it all.

Some of our experiences that might help you out:
-You will quickly see the size of the "bite" the auger takes out of hard produce. I then cut the produce accordingly. While I saw a youtube video saying this juicer is not good for carrots, I find carrots are no problem, I usually halve them lengthwise (quarter for really large ones), drop them in the chute and they feed themselves.
-I can make a simple juice (carrots, apple, cucumber & kale for 1) from a clean counter with produce in the fridge to cleanup in just under 10 minutes. You might get faster on the juice part with a centrifugal, but the cleanup evens out.
-I read of people complaining about making "applesauce". Understand, this works better with fresh and crisp vegetables. Mushy or older produce may not work as well. As far as apples, Granny Smith FTW!
-When you do encounter something that mushes (Some romaine, cucumbers, or older apples) follow the soft up with a hard (carrot, beet, celery) as that usually pushes the soft stuff thru easily.
-The juice has plenty of fiber in it. Trust us on that one!
-If you can handle ginger, never be without it! It's a brilliant sweetener, and a little goes a long ways. Along with lemons, can really help some people get over the "green taste".

I rarely write reviews, so I hope you understand how happy we are with the Omega 8006, and I hope I've given you some information to help make a choice, because, really, it's a tough one. There are a lot of juicers out there, and I think the differences may be more personal and the type of produce you use than actual performance of the machine. So good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why it's the Best Value juicer on the Market!!!, June 17, 2012
This review is coming from someone with nearly 20 years of juicing experience that has realized tangible benefits long ago and am sold on the need to juice. However, in that time I used a centrifugal Juicer, with my most recent one of 11 years being the Waring PJE401 Juice Extractor, Quite White and Stainless Steelwhich is still going strong, and juiced about 80% carrots and about 19% apples. I recently realized, after attending my mothers funeral, 92 1/2 years old, and pondered what else can I do to stay healthy unlike all my siblings, that what was truly deficient in my regiment was greens. The more I read, especially the book Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free, the more it was obvious that since I always hated eating them and since that was not going to change, I can just juice them. I then educated myself on every juicer on the market - learning the brands, watching endless youtube videos and juice-off comparisons, and of course following that up with reading numerous customer reviews. Investing in the right juicer is a big decision and it is cheaper to get right in the beginning. So this review will share what I learned and I hope this helps you make a decision.

First, know this, 1) the best juicer is the one you use regularly - if it is difficult or too time-consuming to use or clean or too be big to fit in a prominent place in your kitchen the honeymoon will be short. 2) A cheap juicer will cost the most - because it is either inefficient with the yield, or it will break quickly, this is the lifespan of the juicer so calculate this investment in cost/year. A $69 juicer that lasts a year costs $69/yr. A $300 juicer with a 15 year warranty cost $20/year. The cadillac of home juicers is the Super Angel, $1000 and extracts 10 - 25% more juice than other juicers in the $200-$1000 range. How much will you juice helps to calculate how long a 20% higher produce bill for a $300 juicer will recoup your investment. If you juice only once in a while, the higher investment will never pay for itself. But, if you juice 2x day, or for several people, it could be within 3 years of so before the more expensive juicer actually pays for itself. That $69 juicer will likely yield 40-50% the of the Super Angel juicer, or perhaps a 25% for most other, so if you will be juicing a lot, that $69 juicer will cost the most. The above cost analysis was for all those people on the fence about price. My 11 year old $200 Waring, which is still working, cost me under $20 year, while my first $69 juicer, and my second, $99 juicer, never had their second anniversary.

What is does well: Leafy Greens, Wheatgrass, Celery, Carrots. Also, apples. Like almost all masticating juicers, soft fruits are not their thing, they do better in centrifugal juicers or smoothies. Centrifugal juicers just do not leafy greens well at all, period. Masticating juicers like this squeeze the life, I mean juice, out to the cells. These are the best way to get nutrients from greens since we are not cows with four stomachs designed to break down the cellulose walls to extract the nutrients, humans don't do this well so the need to chew their greens many, many times to break it down before swallowing. Few of us do that, we often ignore the parsley with comes with a meal, even though ounce for ounce it is the most nutritious thing on the plate. And the few times someone like me does put it in my mouth I chew lightly and swallow since it is not a pleasant taste. Leafy greens and wheatgrass do very well.

Cleanup:
Do not underestimate cleanup as a factor in your selection. Some juicers take in excess of 10 minutes to properly clean. Perhaps not a big deal if you make a large batch for two days but if you make a glass to drink fresh twice a day then cleanup time is serious consideration. Cleanup time on a juicer is mostly related to the size of the screen which needs to be cleaned right a way with a brush (including with the juicer) else the holes get clogged and the process becomes less efficient. The Omega model has a short screen and only a few parts and once you master a workflow for cleanup is literally less than 2 minutes, probably the shortest time for any juicer on the market. A Greenstar Elite juicer, for $500 is a great double auger juicer, and cleanup is between 5 -10 minutes, closer to 10 minutes due to tough to clean edges, and the Super Angel takes a little less time than the Greenstar.

Comparisons to Omega 8004/8006:

The Omega 8004/8006 models has the best warranty in the business, 15 years. The more expensive Omega Vert 350 is only 10 years.

Omega 8004 is white and the 8006 is chrome covered plastic for $40 more - (I actually purchased the 8004 and used the savings towards 40 pounds of inorganic carrots). That is the only difference!!!

Omega VRT350 Heavy Duty Dual-Stage Vertical Single Auger Low Speed Juicer costs about $379 and is seemingly faster to use and has bigger opening so cutting up to smaller sizes is slightly less work. However, it is known for stalling on carrots, clogging on stringy celery, and having plenty of pulp in the juice - see reviews. The Omega 8004/6 includes a pulp screen to fit over the juice bowl, the Vert does not. Compared to the Omega 8000 series, based on video juicer-offs, it has a lower yield and much higher foam for wheatgrass and greens like kale. Also, cleanup is about 2x longer so the faster feed may be compensated by the longer cleanup depending on how much you are juicing at one time.

Champion Juicer
Doesn't do wheatgrass or leafy greens well unless you buy a separate $75 attachment increasing the overall cost. Even with that, the yields are lower than the Omega and the net price would be more.

Centrifugal Juices:
These `noisy juicers' excel at speed/faster juice times and do soft fruits and things like carrots better in terms of quantity. But, since the blades wiz by so quickly they oxidize the juice - this is evidenced in the foam. As a result these juices have a shorter shelf life. Which is not a problem if you drink your juice right of way. But, that's not all, this can harm the enzymes. In my own juice-off for carrots with my Waring juicer, the Warning had a 3% higher yield, but the juice had over twice the foam and but more importantly the taste was noticeably more watery than the richer tasting masticated juice - yes, this was the same batch of carrots. So quality of juice is not as good, but total time is significantly less - lower quality is always better than anything you buy in the store so if you are in a rush each morning and only can make time to drop a whole apple and a handful of carrots down the shoot, get a centrifugal juicer. A better juicer that is not used is a useless juicer.

Double Auger models:
This is a single auger masticating juicer, and there are also double auger juicers and the two best models are the Green Star Elite Jumbo Twin Gear Juice Extractor (GSE-5000) and Super Angel All Stainless Steel Twin Gear Juicer- 5500. Double auger juicers feed leafy greens and wheatgrass in very well - they will literally pull them in between the two augers. This is great but with harder things like carrots, you will need to push down unlike a single auger which will go in easily and be broken-up during the initial feed. The Greenstar model will also produce a lower yield and more foam with wheatgrass and leafy greens but will do better in terms of yield with carrots, apples, celery and cucumbers. So the omega 8004/6 is better at just leafy greens but you will likely juice other things as well so the Greenstar will net a higher overall yield. The longer screens on these models add to the cleanup time. The Super Angel is by far the most efficient juicer for just about everything and cleanup to faster than the Greenstar. It costs 2x more, has a 10 year warranty, but the screen only has a 1 year warranty and costs $190 for a replacement - something to consider. The screen on the omega is covered for 15 years and if you step on it and break it, the replacement cost is only $26.

Norwalk Juicer:
This is the Rolls Royce of juicers and possibly the best juicer in the world and will juice anything that can be juiced via a two step process that first triturates (break apart) the produce and then presses out the juice in a hydraulic press. This is the juicer recommended for the Gerson diet since it has the best quality and quantity. It costs $2,500!!! Good choice for big families, especially if you want to save on baby food, but not as great if juicing for one - as I am.

Frozen Banana Berry Smoothies:
The Omega has attachments for pasta, baby food, spaghetti, and a blank screen. I have used the blank to make frozen banana and berry smoothies. These are great and better than ice cream. I personally add a few whole nuts and coffee beans so they get ground up to make a great treat with a caffeine buzz. Smoothest if you run it through twice.

Tips for use:
Invest in a good sharp knife. The extra cutting for the small 1 1/2" opening is only seconds if you have the right knife. I use the Victorinox 40570 Cutlery 6-Inch Chef's Knife, Black Fibrox Handle for all my needs.

Start and end with a carrot - if you are using carrots. All masticating juicers require some back-pressure at the end and the harder pulp of carrots is perfect - softer apples are less ideal. I also end with a carrot to push out any slush.

Wheatgrass: start with a carrot piece to built up pressure else lose a few precious drops and the initial squeeze, then run the wheatgrass through and grab the pulp and drop it in the hopper a second time for a second press - this will yield another 10-20%.

Alternate your produce as you juice, do a carrot, a few leafs, celery, then a carrot... Instead of doing all your carrots, then all the apples...

Don't force it too fast, push it in slowly, it's not a Breville.

Celery leafs are bitter, consider cutting them off before juicing

Clean immediately, I clean mine before I drink or finish my juice - easy since cleaning is very fast and easy with this design.

Greens are strong tasting and can have a fast and potent detox effect - headaches, runs to the bathroom. Start by make your dark greens about 25% by volume and have a base of something like celery, cucumber, carrots and apples. Carrots and apples help to sweeten the bitterness of some leafy greens like kale. Any headaches and sudden bowel movements will go away with time as you body detoxes and adjusts - those problems are the reason why you should juice, not why you shouldn't!!!

Apples, pears and lemons/limes can be mixed with vegetable juice. Other fruits should not be mixed - something to due with digestion efficiency, sweet vs alkaline.

Do not juice the skins of orange or grapefruit - they are slightly toxic. Lemons are okay

Juicing is great breakfast since `breakfast means to break the fast' of not eating during your nights sleep. With an empty stomach juice gets absorbed best without taxing your body.

I hope the above helps you see I think it is the best value juicer for most people. Decide your priorities and pick the one that is best. This is a long term investment in yourself, try not to be cheap and ideally buy from a place you can return if what you get is not for you. I love mine and use it twice a day.

Juicing is a simple way to get essential pro-life nutrient dense foods efficiently into your body - nutrients are already digested saving your body the work. Very important if you don't eat a lots of veggies, especially greens, like me. This is lifestyle choice to protect, prevent and heal your body so the best juicer for you will be the one you will use daily. This model is easy to use, and one the fastest and easiest to clean - under 2 minutes. Slower than centrifugal juicers but the quality takes time, especially with the dark greens. If you owned a million dollar race horse how would you feed it? An ounce of prevention is worth pounds of toxic medicine.

As a side note, in the past few months of using using this model, about twice day, with plenty of greens like wheatgrass (growing my own on my balcony), kale, collards, parsley...mixed with mostly carrots, and also apple and celery, my enlarged prostate problem as disappeared!!! So glad I made a move to a masticating juicer to get those well needed greens in my body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple & Easy Clean up, July 6, 2009
I had the opportunity to experience juicing on a loaned Jack Lalanne's JLSS Power Juicer Deluxe Electric Juicer, Stainless/Black. After juicing every day with it for over three weeks I realized I really was into juicing and it was not some new Gadget phase I was going through. So I did a ton of research and chose the Omega 8006.

The first thing I can tell you is this is not as noisy as the centrifuge juicer I tried (Jack L juicer). The sound is similar to an old hand mixer on low speed.

The second thing clean up took less time and was easier. Mainly the parts are smaller so they're easier to clean thoroughly. There are no awkward nooks & crannies where food can get stuck. The Omega 8600 clean up involves four main parts. The (1) shoot the food comes down, (2) blade is really a big plastic drill-bit looking thing, (3) the part which determines is the stuff you are grinding going to come out in juice form or a more solid form (such as pasta or banana yogurt!), (4) and finally the collector bins - either or both depending upon what you are doing. It takes more time for me to get the hot water going than the length of time it takes to do the clean up for the Omega 8600.

Preparation is a bigger deal than with other juicers because the opening is much smaller. Some carrots for example had to be cut in 4ths to get it down the shoot. As one reviewer said with another Omega model, it gives you time to think about what you are preparing. The liquid output appears bolder/brighter and without foam compared to the centrifuge juicer.

It's funny, I do notice I pause before preparing my juice to ponder would this be just as good for me if I were to sit and eat the orange, apple and carrots versus putting them into this machine and blend them. What enhances my experience with juicing is the other ingredients such as adding that bit of ginger - yum! When I was using the centrifuge, I thought more about if I had time to do the clean-up after.

The machine itself is sturdy. Having it in a place where you can add the ingredients easily rather than having it stuffed under the cabinet will enhance your access and ease of use.

I am VERY happy with the Omega 8600. It was difficult to wait the 3 weeks - I'm typically a want it now buyer. Mine showed up a few days earlier. I filled my time in cleaning out my refrigerator in preparing to integrate juicing in my diet.

See uploaded picture of my juicing station.

Finally one bit of advice.. No matter what kind of Juicer you acquire - CLEAN UP right after you juice, drink after - clean first! This prevents anything from WELDING to any parts later. Happy Juicing!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Research Paid Off. A Very, VERY Lengthy Review With Recipe Ideas & Updates. Last Update is 1-24-14, October 4, 2012
I spent over a year researching a wide variety of juicers, and watched more demonstration videos that I could ever count. Once or twice, I almost wish I never took this dogged challenge because all the facts, comparisons between the various juicers, and advice from others who reviewed their own product spun my head in ways I never thought possible. And it is because of my extensive research, that I'm posting a somewhat lengthy review, which I will update from time to time as I continue to work this wonderful machine.

I originally bought this machine because I planned on juicing hard fibrous vegetables, and my research from various sources showed this to be the best juicer for greens, which best suited my personal needs. But realistically, it can do so much more.

Ironically, even though I bought it for the greens, when writing this review, it is autumn, and grapes are in season, and so I got a bushel of concord grapes from a farm for a great price. So my first juice wasn't the kale, or Swiss chard, or celery that I spent all season growing, but the concord grapes. And I'll be damned if that wasn't the best thing I ever drank. Mind you, because I was juicing everything, seeds and even some stems, the final result was THICK, much like a smoothie, but still, the best I ever had. Never again will I buy "grape juice" from a store after having this. Since this was my first go at this, I made more than I could drink all at once, so I kept it in the fridge, and even on the second day, there was NO SEPERATION. This machine is so efficient, the pulp was dry beyond belief, but still I chucked the pulp into my worm bin. Hopefully they'll get something out of it. I have to reiterate, this was my first attempt, and it was with in season concord grapes. So if you try something else, your results may vary.

Next came my first vegetable concoction, a V-6, as opposed to a high sodium, store bought V-8. I used two large store bought carrots, an organically grown tomato from my generous neighbor, as well as several stalks of my own organically grown celery, several leaves of Swiss chard, kale, and four small Cajun Belle peppers, which also came from my garden. In a word... "WOW!" I'm really getting a better appreciation of my new best friend.

Thirdly, I made apple, grape lemonade. First I was just going to juice three granny smith apples with one half lemon, which was not pealed, and one lemon that was peeled, but then I thought, hey, add some of those seeded concord grapes. If I quoted my reaction to this, I probably would have the review pulled. But it was a GREAT reaction. Just probably not one you might want your children to read, which is basically, "Holy (Bleepity bleepity bleep bleep)." Of the three juices that I have made thus far, this one I have continued to make numerous times. Part of this is due to the fresh produce selection, and part of it is due to how damn good it tastes.

Putting my various tests aside, I want to address a common complaint for this juicer, which is the size of the feed chute. Here's how I see it. This, in my humble opinion, is one of the most efficient juicers one can buy for its price range. Taking a little more time in prep work far outweighs the waste that you'll get from a high speed centrifugal juicer. And the versatility of this outweighs what you can get from a vertical auger juicer, as many people have come to realize that the vertical auger juicers are far less efficient with leafy greens, plus they cannot do the myriad functions of the Omega 8006. I've done my research on this. Hopefully, you can benefit from it.

If I ever get to the other functions of the 8006, such as nut butters and fruit sorbets, I will update this review. I understand that it can also grind coffee beans, process flower, and mince garlic, but I neither need these functions, nor do I want to use this for such purposes because I don't want the residual smell to bleed in my other concoctions.

Finally, most people are concerned about the clean up process afterwards. Well for me, it's always a breeze. I never actually time it, because I'm constantly distracted. Rinse this. Take that to the worm bin. Rinse that. Feed the cats. Rinse the rest... as if you can't tell, I'm in no hurry. The best I can give you, by means of comparison, is when I was using a centrifugal juicer with no ejection port. To be blunt, that was a labor of unrequited love, as I was tying to better my dietary lifestyle. Now that I have the Omega 8006, there's very little labor, AND A WHOLE LOT OF LOVE. It is more efficient than anything I've ever used before. Now just let me win the lottery, and I'll be the happiest person to walk the Earth.

Pros: It does more than I expected, and better than I expected. What more can I say? Also, it has a 15 YEAR WARRANTY. The enclosed manual says 10 years, but that is outdated.

Cons: I was going to complain about the collection cups that come with the unit because they don't indicate how much juice it's collecting, but since this is a juicer review, and not a collection cup review, I feel that in retrospect it's not even important. It would be nice if the Omega website had more detailed information on general usage and some various demos of the product, but there are a plethora of them on YouTube. So unless I want to be an over picky person, I don't have any REAL cons.

MY BOTTOM LINE: If you don't love it, send me a response letting me know how wrong you think I am about this juicer. But if you love it, then please do the same. I truly believe that I will get far more positive responses that negative ones.

Hopefully, this review has been of some help to you. If so, please click the "yes" button, so that other readers may benefit from this review, and hopefully find this review to be helpful. Thanks.

October 11th 2012 UPDATE - Frozen Sorbet.

I made my first "frozen sorbet," consisting of bananas and pineapple. I started with the blank plate, but did NOT use one of the extra nozzles, and pushed through a slice of pineapple first. The manual states, "no nozzle needed, but may be used if desired." But that just produced frozen flakes. So I stopped, added the round nozzle, and when resuming, it created the consistency that I've seen on numerous videos. I have to say that the machine stopped once while pushing the pineapple through, but this was user error. No problem, I reversed the unit for a few seconds, and afterwards was able to continue. Learn from my mistake. More fibrous fruits like pineapple need more time to process as opposed to bananas. I rotated pineapple with banana, so that each spoonful had both in almost every bite, which incidentally, I'm thoroughly enjoying as I type this. Ultimately, I will chalk this up as another success as to the versatility of this machine.

October 15th 2012 UPDATE.

I wanted to try an experiment with this machine that I've never seen covered before on any of the demonstration videos that I've watch prior to purchasing this machine. My thought was, if the unit can make frozen sorbets with the blank plate, why not try to make a non-frozen paste by using the blank plate with fruits that were NOT frozen? Seems logical, to me at least, and theoretically, my body should be able to more easily process the already broken down fiber.

FAILURE. Specifically, I do mean it was I WHO FAILED. The manual NEVER suggests doing this, and NONE of the videos that I have watched on line show my little experiment. And now I know why. The blank plate does not form a tight seal with liquids, so juice spills out from the juicing port, and what I hoped would be a paste, was just a semi-dry mush. The blank plate seems to be designed for semi solid, to nearly solid matter, and so, these non-frozen items did not work.

Since I was curious about this before purchasing the unit, but could not find any info on this, I thought to share this with anyone who may be wondering the same thing. This is NOT a product defect. It simply wasn't made for what I was trying to do, so my original rating of 5 stars still stands.

I'm still in the early stages of getting to know the Omega 8006, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. If I can help, I surely will. I'm not a retailer, I just want others to be able to enjoy this great product. And please let me know if this review and its updates have been helpful to you. Thank you.

October 31st 2012 UPDATE.

I have noticed some slight wear on the auger. For now, I'm not going to worry about this, since this could simply be part of the "breaking in" process. For now, I'm not going to let it bother me, since this does have a 15 year warranty. And sometimes, some things need a little wear and tear to break in. But for those of you who may have recently purchased this, or are still considering it, I wanted to let you be aware of this. I am still thoroughly happy with the 8006, and continue to use it daily without any problems.

Additionally, I'd like to make aware to those who juice a lot of carrots, buy the largest quantity when possible. My local grocery store sells a 10 pound bag for about 5 bucks. I also want to give you a tip on the larger sized carrots. Since you should already be aware of extra prep time needed for the 8006, I'll give you one more step that takes just a few seconds, but makes the end results easier on you and your juicer. Cut LARGE carrots in half, lengthwise. It's just that simple, and it only takes a few seconds. Try a whole, large carrot, and then try a halved carrot, and see how much easier it is on the juicer, as well as for yourself pushing the halved carrot through compared to the whole one. Depending on the girth of the carrot, the smaller ones pretty much feed themselves. I guarantee those few extra seconds of prep will ultimately be easier on both you and the juicer.

November 9th 2012 UPDATE - Making Peanut Butter.

I addressed the question of making nut butters in the comments section a short while ago, but now that I have actually tried this, I wanted to share my results with those who are interested. As stated in the comments section, nuts that have a higher oil content will produce a more creamy end product, while nuts that are low in oil will produce a product which is drier and flakey. And so, I made peanut butter for the first time, using roasted peanuts which I shelled and skinned. The blank plate is needed for this, and for my first test, I didn't use any of the optional nozzles. What came out of the 8006 were buttery flakes. So I stopped the machine, used the round nozzle, and this produced a nut butter that was more of a buttery paste, which I personally preferred. I ran this back through the machine in an attempt to make it smoother, and it did to some extant, but noticed that running it through once more after that make little difference. I suggest that you try to experiment with the nut of your choice as well, and perhaps a different nozzle will have better, or worse results. Experimentation is key.

Your end product will not be the same consistency as a store bought product, meaning that it will not be as creamy. And this is due to the fact that additional oil is added to the processing of most commercially bought peanut butter. But, this can be a good thing because you will be consuming less fat calories. Mind you, if you do want this to be creamier, you can add oil, but at that point, it pretty much defeats the purpose of making it yourself. In addition, you can keep this salt free by using unsalted nuts, or add some salt if you prefer.

Cleaning up the parts does take more time, because of the oils and the stickiness of the peanut better, so you may want to make a larger quantity of it all at once, and store what you don't use.

Ultimately, while peanut butter is NOT a health food, you can make a HEALTHIER CHOICE by making it yourself by regulating the fat and salt content. And for that, the Omega 8006 still retains the five star rating which I originally gave it.

12-17-12 UPDATE - Wear and Cactus Pear.

Wear. As previously noted, there was some wear on the auger. After continual use on a daily basis, I can say that my previous speculation of this being part of the breaking in process was correct. The wear has come to a standstill, and I feel comfortable in saying that this will not be an ongoing problem.

Cactus Pears. I have watched numerous videos on the health benefits of cactus pears. Their biggest drawback is that they have a plethora of hard seeds. Since my first test was on Concord Grapes, which also has hard seeds, I decided to try cactus pears. It worked flawlessly! I have run through several of these at a time over the course of a few weeks, and never has the machine hesitated, cracked, or failed in any way. So for those of you who are interested in juicing Cactus Pears, I recommend the Omega 8006. Mix this with some young Thai coconut water, chill it, and let your eyes roll to the back of your head as you drink it.

1-7-13 UPDATE - Cleaning Tips I Have Not Found Anywhere Else.

Using this as much as I do, I noticed that a few components slowly became a bit... unsightly. Please feel free to utilize these tips that I had to discover on my own.

The end cap has a silicone ring inside, which will eventually accumulate some crud. If you use your 8006 as much as I do, you'll probably be embarrassed by just how awful this looks when you do get it out. But the ring in the end cap can be cleaned. This ring can easily be pried out with a blunt tool, and I highly recommend a blunt tool, as a knife will cut the ring. Also, I would not recommend putting this ring in a dishwasher, since it is so small, just do it by hand, it only takes a few seconds. Just make sure you pay attention as to what side of the ring goes face down. It has a specific upside and downside fitting, so you'll want to make sure it goes back in the same way it came out. In addition, the pusher has a similar silicone ring, so I suggest you remove it and clean it as well as you see fit.

Now I need to draw your attention to the coupler that allows you to attach the main juicing unit to the machine itself. Over time, it very well may start to get sticky, and not rotate into place as smoothly as it did when you first used it. When you take off the main juicing component, you'll see that there are four Phillips head screws that keep the coupler attached to the unit. These are easily removed, and once you do remove them, you'll probably see some unsightly gunk between these rings. Again, I suggest washing these parts by hand. Once they're clean and dry, reattach them, BUT DO NOT over tighten the screws. A slightly snug fit will keep everything in place without stripping a screw or breaking these plastic pieces.

I hope that these instructions will help not only those who plan on buying the Omega 8006, but help those who already have it and need to know how to deal with these uncovered maintenance practices.

7-6-13 UPDATE - Fresh Berries Sorbet.

Strawberries have just ended their season, and blueberries and raspberries are coming into season, at least in my area, so I wanted to make an update. And instead of making three updates which ultimately would be very similar, I thought I'd spare you from having to read three similar updates when they could easily be combined into one.

For starters, I grow my own strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, and though I love to eat them whole , when I purchased my 8006 last year, I wanted to make a frozen sorbet from each of these that I grow organically, even if just once. Turns out, my "just once" idea turned into "just a few times more, and more, and more."

When it comes to making frozen sorbets out of these berries in the 8006, the same rules apply. Keep them in the freezer until they're... well... need I say it? Then use the blank plate along with the round nozzle. From my experience, this combination works best.

Now admittedly, if I used a little more forward thinking, I would have saved some strawberries and combined them with either or both the blueberries and raspberries, but dummy me didn't think to do that. If you love any or all of these berries, you're going to love this a whole hell of a lot. And while you can just as easily do this with store bought berries when they're available, I wanted to try this with what I'm growing. After all, that's why I'm growing them, and waited until now when they're in season. For those who do not grow their own berries, or just want to have this nearly any time of the year, good quality store bought berries will work of course.

BONUS TIP: If you are so inclined, you can mix this sorbet in with nonfat Greek yogurt, or even regular plain nonfat yogurt. I was very happy when I had the frozen sorbet, and thought "it can't get any better than this." I proved myself wrong as to how much much happier I was when I made this sorbet yogurt combo. And yes, while you can just as easily add any of these whole berries to yogurt, which is always a better thing to do than buying some ready-made yogurt products, full of who knows what, adding fresh made frozen sorbet from the 8006 to yogurt is an EXTRA SPECIAL treat that you brain and body will thank you for.

7-27-13 UPDATE - Salsa!

My peppers and tomatoes are ready to harvest, so I decided to try an experiment, making salsa in the 8006. You need to use the blank plate for this, but you do not need any of the optional nozzles. While your salsa will come out of the end, you will still get some drippings from the juicing section, so I suggest you use both collection cups. I won't necessarily call this a recipe, since everyone's taste is different, but I'll tell you what I used. Tomatoes, sweet peppers, hot peppers, garlic, onion, and a tad bit of cilantro. (I'm not a fan of cilantro, but it has its uses in small amounts for me). Just so you know, juicy onions create a frothy foam, but you can just stir that in when it's done, and no one will ever know it was there. If the salsa is too watery for you, and this will be based on what type of tomatoes you use, you can easily strain the salsa when you're done. Before you know it, you'll have THE BEST and MOST FRESH, salsa ever. I shared this with neighbors, and they either, (A) really liked it, or (B) were just being really polite by consuming the whole batch and asked for more. Either way, it was a winner. I dare say, once you make this, you'll NEVER buy that store bought %&*# again.

8-1-13 UPDATE - Grinding Flax Seed.

I've been doing some research on the health benefits of flax seed, which is high in Omega 3 fatty acids. These help with brain function, inflammation, as well as other things, and it has become increasingly used by many people because of its beneficial properties. The only problem with flax seed is that it has to be broken open to get the full effect of its beneficial properties. So if you ingest it whole, and don't chew it well, you'll not absorb what it has to offer. The good, or rather great news is, the Omega 8006 does a superb job of breaking up flax seed. Use the blank plate, pour as much as you need, and that's it. DONE! How much more simple can it be? If you like, you can run it through a second time to help break the seed down a little more, but that's not really necessary. And cleaning this can't be any easier. You can practically blow away all of the remaining flax residue. I didn't even bother to rinse anything except the blank plate. And if any residual flax residue that clung to the auger gets into my juices, it won't hurt the juice, or you, at all.

So what do you do with the flax once it's been ground? Anything. Personally, I prefer to use it in juices, smoothies, and sorbets. If you're making a sorbet, I recommend running the flax through before any of the produce, and then incorporate it while making the sorbet. I don't know if you'll get the same great results if you mix it in while making a sorbet, or sprinkle it on top when done. One important thing of note is that once it's been ground, you have to use it within a few days, or it can go rancid, so prepare only what you can use. And so what if you have to grind this every few days, because again, it's so easy to clean afterwards.

Do your brain and body a favor, add flax seed into your diet. And do it with the 8006.

8-6-13 UPDATE - Coconuts.

This is an update that I'm somewhat unwilling to post, but again, I do this for the sake of others, while I might get even more dislikers who feel my review up to this point is still NOT helpful. How more thorough can I be, you disliking /\$$H0L$?

Firstly, it is imperative that none of the hard outer shell of the coconut gets into the juicer. It can wreck your screen, and invalidate your warranty. But the softer, brown, inner lining won't be a problem, and won't mess up your 8006. And now...

Flakes for baking. I'm not a baker of sweets. But, if you are, you can't get any better FRESH coconut flakes than if you make them yourself in the 8006. These are, The BEST! No contest. You can use either a white coconut, not to be confused with a young Thai coconut, or a brown coconut. Crack it open, and de-meat it however you want, then run the pieces though the 8006 using the blank plate without any of the additional nozzles. What you will get are fresh flakes, which are not treated or preserved with who knows what from that you would normally buy. And these taste far better, because of this. Because these are made fresh, by you, and have no preservatives, their shelf life is limited, and you will need to use them with a few weeks, even if kept in the fridge. Store bought coconut garbage flakes will last for many more months because... you got it, they are full of extra chemicals that you don't want to consume.

Chunky Colada. Here's the one I think most people may not like, but I'm posting it anyway for that 1 out or 100,000 people who may like this. For starters, I AM NOT trying to make coconut milk. I admit full heartedly that I'm too damn lazy for that. I drained the water from a coconut and set it aside, then ran half of the meat through the 8006 to make flakes. Once this was done, I blended both the flakes and the coconut water together. People who want to make coconut milk would then strain this to get rid of the chunks. Again, I'm too damn lazy for that. I added some ice and rum to the blender, and got a refreshing drink I can drink, and chew on. I'll bet 99 percent of the readers won't like this idea, but if you are among the select few who do, you are going to enjoy this. In fact, I'm drinking / chewing on one of these as I'm updating this, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Although maybe it's just the rum...

11-7-13 UPDATE - A Little Over One Year Anniversary.

I feel that it's important to let serious buyers to know what to expect not only after a few months, but after a year of continuous use. And I do mean continuous. Almost every day I have made the most of the 8006, and that's important as opposed to those who only use any appliance a few times a week, or less.

Grape juice revisited. It's grape season again, so I bought 20 pounds of Concord grapes for 25 bucks. As such, I'm making The Second Best Grape Juice Ever. Yes, I said second best. I planted Concord grape vines this year, as well as a Granny Smith apple tree, so in a year or 2, probably 2, I'll be making The Best Grape Juice Ever, because it's organic and home grown. And just as importantly, after a year of use, wear and tear, I can say by means of comparison, that the pulp from the grapes is almost as dry as when I first used the 8006 a year ago. I don't think of this VERY MINOR reduction in the dryness of pulp as a bad thing. The 8006 needed some time to wear in as previously stated, and the difference is so minimal, it's barely worth noting.

Take it where you need it. Yup, take that bad boy out of the kitchen. Sounds crazy, but since this is a slow rpm juicer, and is very quiet as opposed to those high and less efficient RPM juicers, why not take it out of the kitchen? A few days ago, time was a factor. I wanted to make my juice, but I also wanted to watch a vid. So I did both. I took the 8006 into the living room, and made what I wanted while watching a show. Or take it outside, and make juices while entertaining guests and cooking on the BBQ. There's no need to confine yourself to the kitchen with this low noise juicer.

Omega 8006 vs. the Omega NC800. I almost lost what was left of my mind when the NC800 was released. I had the 8006 less than a year, and then a new model was released. Speaking from observation, I can see 2 pros, and 2 cons to the NC800. Pros: The feed chute is larger than the 8006, which means less cutting, and the adjustable end nozzle. If you adjust it properly, you should get more juice than the 8006. Cons: The juicing housing is attached to the feed chute. I feel that this is more cumbersome to clean, and many people feel that an easy to clean machine is more favorable. Secondly, while the adjustable nozzle may be a pro, I feel this can also be a con. With the 8006, you simply put in your produce and have great results. This adjustable nozzle creates a new learning curve, and personally, I rather have a more simple option which doesn't need me to overthink what I'm juicing.

Hopefully this one year anniversary review will be helpful to those who not only want to buy the 8006, but wanted to know what they can expect after a year of continuous use, as well as some insight to the newer, more expensive model.

12-9-13 - Update - Cranberry Juice.

WOW. I can't believe you're still reading this.

I love cranberries. I literally buy about 2 dozen bags during the short time that they are available, so the idea of making my own cranberry juice was a no brainer. When they come straight from the bag, and not cooked, they are a perfect produce product for the 8006. Plus, due to their size and firmness, the pusher isn't even necessary. Three 12 ounce bags made thirty two ounces of juice. But be aware, this juice is very, VERY tart! And as much as I like tart, juicing a few sweet, firm apples into the mix makes this far more palatable. And due to the firmness of the cranberries, if you want to incorporate them in a sorbet, you do not have to freeze them as you would bananas, mangoes, strawberries, etc.

1-24-14 Update - Orange Juice.

Well you could knock me over with a feather on this one. All this time I've been hearing how the Omega 8006 is optimal for hard, fibrous fruits and vegetables, and with over a year of personal experience, it has proved to be just that. But I had 7 average sized oranges lingering in my fridge, and thought, "what the hell?"

Using the standard juicing screen, the peeled oranges turned into 18 ounces of juice. I only wish I had a small kitchen scale so that I could tell you what the weight of the oranges were beforehand. But nonetheless, I was not only impressed, but flabbergasted as to why I didn't think try this sooner. I did run the pulp through two additional times for a slightly higher yield. Actually, I ran some of it through a third time, and found that by then, there wasn't much more the juicer could extract. While the pulp wasn't as dry as what is typical for harder produce, I feel that it did a pretty darn good job. Because some of the pith of the orange is working its way into the juice, you will get a thicker, more robust juice than something from the grocery store. And personally, I prefer this. I guess it just goes to show that just because you graduate from college, you don't have to stop experimenting.

The most important reason why I tried this, and added this experience to my overly long review, is so that people who are seriously thinking about the Omega 8006, shouldn't have to worry about possibly getting an additional juicer that's specifically designed for softer fruits, unless they plan on juicing a lot those on a regular basis. While the yield may have been greater with an Omega Vert, or some other vertical auger style juicer, which are typically recommended for fruits, the Omega 8006 shows that it is versatile enough to handle squeezing out a great tasting orange juice as well. It is possible that the Omega NC800 can squeeze out more juice per orange than the 8006, due to its adjustable nozzle, but unless Omega wants to send me one of those to do a side by side comparison, and allow me to publish the results, I'm going to be loyal to the 8006 which has PROVED itself to me time and time again as being a one of the best, and most versatile juicers, that any serious customer could ever have.

I hope that this exhaustingly thorough, and periodically updated review, was helpful to you. Seems like I have a few dislikers for reasons unknown, but if you have any questions, please contact me before blindly disliking me. I'm trying to help all of those who are serious about juicing, and want to do it with te Omega 8006. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Omega 8006 Juicer, January 31, 2009
I have rated the 8006 at five stars because of its efficiency, ease of use and quality of materials. The newly designed auger is a translucent black material that GE calls ULTEM. The warranty has been increase from 10 years to 15 years. The juicer probably functions the same as the model 8005 and 8002 so all of the previous reviews apply to the 8006. The power switch is located at the lower back of the juicer and allows the auger to be reversed if something would become lodged in the mastication extraction tube. The Omega auger is patented and has a two stage screen for greater juice output compared to other brands. For example, five medium sized HoneyCrisp apples produced a full quart of wonderful clear pulp-free juice. The apple juice does not turn brown nearly as fast as the juice from centrifugal type juicers due to the lower oxidation from the 80 rpm auger. There is very little foam, and the included screen can be used to filter the final product, if desired. The Omega 8006 does a great job with carrots but with this juicer as with any juicer, the smaller the items, the greater the juice extraction efficiency. I need to point out that the feed tube is only about 1.5" in diameter. There lies the problem with large tube centrifugal juicers. They waste about 20% of the juice and this is significant when you count the price of organic produce. I use a little cutting board to slice items while the juicer pulls them in almost by itself. It works very well. I juice greens including wheat grass and parsley, which can adhere to the spinning basket of a centrifugal juicer and cause the basket to be out of balance. This happened to me with a JuiceLady JL-500 and it cracked the top of the juicer before I could turn it off. If you do not want to cut the produce into smaller pieces then this is not the juicer for you. I enjoy using the 8006 and I have yet to see a bad review of an Omega single auger juicer. Of all the juicers made, this is definitely in the top ten and some websites rate it as No. 1. I can recommend this Omega juicer with no reservations. Enjoy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning**** No Customer Service for Broken Units, November 16, 2012
I was really enjoying this juicer until it broke around 2 months after getting it. I was doing my normal morning juice and I heard a big crack. The juice stopped coming out. I couldn't see exactly what was wrong so I took the drum off. The screen cone unit had cracked in two. Vegetables had got caught under the screen...between the screen and the cone, and it kept building up until it exploded under pressure. Broke and unusable after just 2 months. I was disappointed that I would lose my morning juice routine for several weeks, but I knew the company would take care of me since it's brand new. I took pictures and a video of the breakage and emailed the company. I haven't heard anything and it's been 10 days with no contact from the company. I'd give 4 or 5 stars for the juicer, but I give 1 star now for lack of contact from company over this breakage for 2 month old product.

Update 1: Early December 2012. Nearly 2 months later and I still have not juiced at all. I still have not heard from the company. No response to my multiple inquiries. I called and was put on hold and then told by an automatic voice I'll be cut off and to call back later. I sent off the part blindly to the company along with a letter. I have little expectation of a response. If I hear anything, I will post it here. Even if I was willing to pay for the part, it's out of stock on the website and other reviews imply it's been out of stock a very very long time. And I gave $900 to this company. 2 for gifts and 1 for me.

Update 2: Jan 12, 2013 (3 months after original review): This will be my final update. I am moving past this company and this incredibly insightful incident and will no longer consider Omega an option for any further business again in my life. I'm bewildered to report this company has committed the most loathsome customer service dirty deed. It was not ignoring the multiple emails I sent them. It was not deleting my review on their own website. It was not hanging up on me 3 times after waiting on hold. No, what they did that is unforgivable was to ignore the typed letter I sent along with the broken part in the package! I sent it about 2-3 weeks before xmas. You can take my $900 and ignore my phone calls and emails, but you do not ignore my personalized typed letter with the broken evidence included. I can honestly say this is one of the most nauseating customer service acts I've personally experienced.

Update 3: May 16, 2003. Sometime late in March I received a screen replacement from the company. No letter was included. No apology or acknowledgement of my letter to them. Small box and part. It was sent slow (media?) mail possibly as it took 6 weeks. I checked online tracking and it was sent 3-4 days after my update 2 above. I use the juicer daily now and make sure to cut limes into tiny pieces to prevent repeat breakage. End result is good. My opinion of the product and company stands. Having a weak link in a strong chain still makes it a weak chain. Customer service is abysmal. Someone advised in their comment to post a nasty facebook post to get reaction out of them...it worked for them. It's a sad comment on a company's reputation when politeness and thoughtful letter writing do not engage results but public humiliation does. This extends to our whole culture as well. Our companies are a product of our culture.

2.0 out of 5 stars **** WARNING ****, November 2, 2009
Doug Gilbert (Flagstaff, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I will start with, this CAN be a great juicer. I purchased this juicer and accidentally started it before putting anything in it and noticed an intermittent grinding sound correlated to the auger turning. I let it run a few seconds and took it apart to find ground up plastic from the auger in the screen. After some detective work, I noticed that the leading edge of the screen (the edge towards the body) was raised above the plastic so that every time the auger rode up the edge, it ground off a bit more.

I called Omega and they were very quick to send out both the auger and screen. The only problem is that the new screen has the same problem. I emailed them again and told them about the second screen, and I have yet to hear back from them after a week. Since they didn't ask for my old one back, I took my Dremel tool to the screen and rounded off the sharp edges until my fingernail no longer caught when rubbing across it. Now I can run it dry with no apparent plastic getting worn off.

This is a very bad manufacturing control problem that I hope they fix quickly. Frankly, they should stop shipping these until they get this issue fixed. IF they fix this I would give it 5 stars gladly.

All that said and done, I love my juicer now, it is quick to make all kinds of juice and just as quick to clean up. I have had several other juicers, one cost almost twice this one, and this is by far the best once the screen was modified. The pulp comes out very dry compared to any other juicer I have owned or used so I am getting more for my organic dollars these days!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great juice but auger is chipping / scratching......., June 30, 2009
HERE IS MY UPDATED REVIEW:
I promised an updated review here once my official verdict was in on this juicer, so here it is. Please see my original review, still retained here below.

I still will say that this juicer makes great carrot juice, no doubt about it. However I have found it to leave wheatgrass juice pulp more wet than I had expected it to based on other reviews.

Omega did, without any complaints, send me my replacement parts to determine if my auger was defective. The only problem here was that it took them... now let me think... I believe it was four separate shipments to actually get the order correct. And then in addition to that they said they were going to send me a mail tag to send the incorrect parts they sent me back for free, however, they never did, so I have parts to their other juicers that I would not use in this new model as well. Overall if I were rating their customer service / support, I would give a few separate ratings:
- Over the phone customer support in terms of speed at which they get you your replacement parts under warranty: 5 / 5 stars
- The probability that your warranty replacement order will be correct when you receive the package: 1 / 5 stars
- The probability that you will be taken care of if you email the company instead of calling them: 0 / 5 stars
These ratings are REAL numbers based on my experience.

Regarding the chipping auger, I have had better success now with the replacement auger. The erosion of the auger doesn't appear to be nearly as bad at all. However with that said, I believe that by the very nature of how this machine works, the plastic on metal action - and especially so when grinding foods using the blank plate - there will nearly always be some erosion of the auger, in particular for the first few times of use until I guess I could say the auger makes a "good fit" with your juicing or grinding plates.

The replacement auger I was sent had a chip out of it brand new. Then they sent me another one and it also had a noticeable chip out of it but in an inconspicuous place that would not harm the juicing process, so I left it alone at that point. These are just defects, I think, from the molding/manufacturing process.

Overall, yes this makes a great juice, and I've also used it to grind up almonds and dates and cashews and such things to make really great tasting nut bars. This machine does a pretty good job overall but as you can see you really play back and forth with what level of quality you are expecting from the machine itself in various tasks vs. the customer support as well. I have never tried the green star juicer because of the higher price but I suspect that would be the next step up from this one, with possibly a drier pulp - however i have never tried that juicer.

I believe that overall if at all possible you should try to find a way to use a juicer for a little while before you buy it, if you can locally in your area from a friend, etc. It would really help in your buying decision as to whether you really want to juice in the first place, and then which juicer is right for you. For now I have decided to sell my juicer and just stick with my vita-mix blender which I really love. I know it is definitely not a juicer, but I feel like I would have just rather bought a grain mill or something with my money instead of this juicer. If you are really in to juicing and know the ins and outs of what you want out of it then maybe this machine or a better one is for you, because it does perform, but I just can't handle all of the extra things that I found issue with that "came along with the juicer" as described above and below.

I hope this helps someone. I suspect there are higher quality juicers out there for critics like myself, but I am not prepared to spend more money now to find out, and I don't know anyone that has a green star. I think that for now at least, juicing is just not for me.

HERE IS MY PRIOR REVIEW:
I purchased this juicer and it arrived in the mail yesterday. I purchased because of the other great reviews out there for it being a great juicer all-around for pretty much everything, along with the great price. It seemed like the perfect package.

Let there be no doubt, this really does produce a great quality juice. I am a little nervous, however, about one thing. I washed all the parts for the first time and then I proceeded to make carrot juice with some greens in it, and then also tried some frozen bananas and strawberries to make a sorbet. Both recipes were very successful, and, the cleanup was also very easy. Although I should mention I had to partially thaw the strawberries as they were just too hard for the juicer to initially accept them.

My concern is that after cleaning and drying the auger, I noticed that even after only the very first use of the machine the auger has scratch marks on it - some of them noticeably deep. The scratch marks are from places where the auger comes in to contact with metal that is on the inside of the juicing screen. Also when I hold just the auger and the juicing screen in my hand and turn the auger inside of it, you can hear and feel how the auger seems to catch on something during the rotation.

I am currently giving this juicer a rating of three stars because although I have found it to produce an excellent quality juice for carrots and greens alike, the fact that plastic (or whatever the auger is made of) is slowly being added to my juice and the pulp makes me wonder if that is healthy!

I would greatly appreciate anyone's comments on this as I should also note that I am new to juicing, however, I have thoroughly examined the machine and how to assemble it and don't believe I've done anything which would have contributed to such easy scratching of the auger.

I have emailed Omega to ask about this concern but have not heard back so far (it's been 1 day since the email was sent so I'm giving them more time). I imagine they must be busy right now with the high demand for this new juicer.

It is my hope that I will be able to eventually up the rating from 3 to 5 stars, however, how could I with plastic chipping in to my food? I leave the rating at three stars because it really does make excellent juice, but at what cost (plastic in the food)?

4.0 out of 5 stars Omega J8006 vs Breville BJE510XL, November 12, 2011
I juice 16 oz every day for lunch. Typical "green juice": kale, romaine, celery, carrots, cucumber, ginger for the core ingredients -- mix it up with beets, broccoli, and other greens.

I started with the Breville 510. Very nice centrifugal juicer. It is easy to put together. Juicing is a breeze with the 3 inch feed tube -- you can put a whole apple or beet down the tube. Cleanup is easy as all the parts are large and easy to clean with a sponge (except the filter which requires a brush). 20 minutes from start to finish, including (a) assemble juicer, (b) clean and prepare vegetables, (c) juicing, and (d) cleanup. I drink the juice while I clean up.

Happy camper. Then I keep researching and I keep running into web sites promoting masticating juicers over centrifugal juicers. OK, I bit on the hype. I wanted to minimize cleanup so I selected a single auger over the twin gears.

I purchased the Omega J8006.
Pros: It gets more juice from the ingredients. The juice is noticeably tastier but not extraordinarily so. The juice has more pulp in it.
Cons: If I didn't have the Breville for comparison, I would also say it is easy to put together (which is easy) and clean (which isn't as easy). You have to cut the vegetables much smaller pieces to fit into the 1 inch feeding tube -- so prep time is longer. Getting leafy items like kale down the tube is a pain and you have a lot more chunks to put into the tube -- so juicing is longer. The parts are smaller and there are more of them -- so cleanup takes longer. Overall, it takes 30 minutes or longer to do what I did with the Breville in 20 minutes. The juice and pulp containers fill easily. If my wife also wants a glass, I have to empty both to make the second glass.

I continue to use the Omega since, for me, the pros outweigh the extra 10 minutes to prepare lunch. If I was juicing more often, or for more people, or smaller quantities, I would use the Breville for the faster processing and easier cleanup.

There is no question that centrifugal juicers (the Breville) oxidize the juice so you must consume it quickly (within 15 minutes or so) or start losing nutrients. This is not an issue for me since I consume it immediately. Some claim masticating (the Omega) will allow the juice to be stored for up to 24 hours. Omega claims no foaming -- mine does foam but less than the Breville. Both units are quiet.

For you new juicers:
Hang in there. At first, for me, I could barely drink "green juice" without retching. Horrible stuff. But it does get better and then tolerable. The benefits are worth it. Start by adding apples and lemons (w/o rind) and removing the stems from items like kale and the skin from the cucumber. Do research and avoid bitter items like mustard greens. Add them in later in small doses and increase as your tolerance allows. Start "sweeter" and then go for the nutrients -- but go green, don't exclude the dark green items.

1.0 out of 5 stars No parts?, December 14, 2012
I actually like the way this juicer works, its great with wheatgrass. But I'm giving it a terrible review because you CANNOT get parts for this thing! Plus, you can break the juicing parts very easily without meaning to.

I juiced like usual, leafy veggies, carrots, etc. and then put in a wedge of lime. For whatever reason, the auger drove this piece in and completely burst the juicing screen's plastic cage. Now, I didn't put a rock down in there, I put a normal fresh lime wedge. IMHO the clutch should have given before the screen cage broke, but that is a design choice.

What is bad now, is I've ordered a replacement screen, and Omega is telling me that it could be as much as 3 months before I get my juicing screen again. This is too long! I want to juice now! I'm not going to buy another one just to get the juicing screen! Other suppliers also tell me that every time they get shipments of these screens, they never get as many as they order. Hence there must be something wrong with both the design, and the manufacture of these screens.

So, this is my complaint. I have a $300 paperweight! Omega needs to either change the design, or they need to make replacement parts more easily available.

Rate and Discover Movies