4.0 out of 5 stars A Good, solid boar bristle shave brush, I recommend it.
Published on March 6, 2012 by Preston Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice brush....
but it's huge. I should have paid more attention when purchasing because it doesn't even come close to fitting in my brush stand. It lathers decently, but that might just be because I haven't broken it in yet. The handle feels a bit cheap, and the few times i've used it so far have followed with a decent amount of bristles falling out.
Published 5 months ago by Grant Gallagher

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good, solid boar bristle shave brush, I recommend it., March 6, 2012
This review is from: Omega Shaving Brush #10048 Boar Bristle aka The PRO 48 (Health and Beauty)
I have been wet shaving for a few years. Just recently I have upgraded my choice of shaving brushes. Before I was regularly using Van Der Hagen Natural Boar Shave Brush, purchased at walmart. I must have gone through five of them. I have since upgraded to this omega shaving brush, the pro 48, and I have a basic badger hair brush from Target, the shea moisture shaving brush. I am now rotating the pro 48 and the badger, to see which I like better.
This brush, pro 48, is definitely a really good shaving brush. Especially when compared to the basic van der hagen. It has more full head of bristles, lathers better and has more backbone. I am sure it will continue to soften and get better over time and use.
I appreciate this brush, because it can be used with shave soaps and with shave creams. I also enjoy that it has more of a backbone and gives you a more exfoliating brush experience. I am mostly comparing it to my other badger brush. Which I found to be nice feeling and soft on my face but with less internal support and backbone. I have remedied this some what by holding the badger brush at the base of the bristles and pinching.
I can easily see this as my everyday go to shaving brush.
I would have rated this higher, but the chrome look handle came with a 1/2 - 3/4 inch scrap on it about the width of boar hair. Just a single scrap, that somewhat marred the finish. I didn't buy the brush for the looks so I do care too much, but wanted to note it the community of buyers.
The only real con about it is the break in time to get the natural boar bristle smell out of it. I have been using it for about a week, and have cleaned and soaked it a few times. It is only now getting to where I can use it with out really smelling that wet boar smell. From what I read this is perfectly natural and to be expected of a high quality boar bristle brush. So its not a big deal. Although I never experienced it with the van der hagen cheapo brushes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Shaving Brush EVER, September 7, 2011
L. R. Levy (Massachusetts USA) - See all my reviews
I own about 5 brushes ranging from Silvertip Shavemac's, Kent Badgers, AOS badgers, thru Vulvix 404, through two other models of the Omerga Boar's head. This is absolutely my go-to brush. It just loves to be used. The break in period is very fast. The ability to pick up just the right amount of soap from the puck is perfect. I'm not sure if this will ever wear out but if it does, I will immediately buy another!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great brush after about a week, December 2, 2013
Warning - this is a BIG brush. Knowing that, it's impossible to beat for the money. It builds lather quickly, and softens up quite well. Yes, like most boars brushes, it smells kinda funky for the first week or so, but so what. To those that complain about the smell, man up. Otherwise get some gel from a can and use your manicured fingers, you pretty boys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great shave brush, February 4, 2011
Dennis Smith (Mansfield, TX, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great brush. I think I am starting to prefer the boar to the badger, it has more backbone and works well with creams and soaps. You do need to be aware that this is an animal product, so when you get it expect it to smell like a wet boar. Wet boars apparently smell horrible. Wash it out with a mild detergent or shampoo a few times and it is fine, but it takes a couple uses for the smell to go away completely. Boar brushes also take a while to break in so the brush changes quit a bit over the first couple weeks. At first it only worked will with soaps, but as it broke in it works great with anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Omega 48 Pro brush, May 22, 2012
I have used the Pro 48 for five years. It gets better with age. I face lather and it holds
enough lather for three full passes. It is hard to beat at any price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product - My first boar brush, January 3, 2014
I read the first 32 reviews before buying the Pro 48 and also read reviews on this brush on the various shaving forums. I wanted to have boar brushes in my rotation. I am very happy with this brush. I knew that I was buying one of the largest brushes. Some attributes an concerns - my brush came with nil to very little smell. A soak in warm/hot soapy water followed by a practice lather and the only smell I cold discern was that of the soap. The bristles started splitting from the first soak and that is good. I expect it to "bloom" in the coming months. This thing whips up fine lather and feels good against the face. It dries up fairly quickly as well. For the price and for its effectiveness, it is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Very Best Brush That I Have Ever Used!!, March 23, 2014
I am an "auld" timer, (going on 71 years by the grace Of God) and can remember my very first shave at age 14, using a bar of Palmolive Soap and my Granddad's old straight razor. What an experience!! I left my "trademark" just below my crew-cut hairline beside my right ear!! I have been in search of the perfect shaving equipment every since that day! I purchased this Omega Boar Bristle after reading a host of reviews, and have been pleased from the very first use of it. I had read about an animal like odor from the brush when wet, but gee whiz, one has to remember that the bristles was once the pride and joy of a real live hog, so what does one expect?! Before I used this brush this morning, I plunked it down in a cup of real hot water and left it there while I showered. (My shaving scuttle was already coming to a nice warm glow also) after showering, I lifted out the brush and gave the bits of soap in the scuttle a number of good swirls and proceeded to soap my face with a thick rich lather, and was pleased to see that the great outdoorsy scent of grunting pigs was so faint that I decided to to take several more whiffs. I was still pleased. The greatest wonder of my experience was the luxurious massage of the softened bristles of this brush. I was using Marvy shaving soap, but I have also ordered a bar of Col Conk glycerin bay rum soap for my next experiment. I am looking forward to the combination of my Omega Brush and Col. Conk!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Brush!, May 7, 2014
The brush is wonderful (it is Huge), but from the moment i took it out of the box, there was no smell at all and the bristles were softer than what i expected. Had third shave with it today and it feels like it is almost broken in already with the ends splitting almost immediately. it feels as good as my badger (best grade) brush. it is a great purchase and a great value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stiff and initially smelly, June 11, 2014
James Bowles (Belmont, NC, US) - See all my reviews
Nice brush that I like to use with hard soaps (Madame Scodioli's Ill Repute is one of my favorites). The bagder brushes were just to soft for anything but shaving creams. Minimal bristle loss thus far. Tips: 1. Keep it dry and hang it bristles down. 2. To help get rid of the smell... leave some of the soap in the bristles. 3. To transport the brush, go to a drugstore (take your brush). Ask the person at the pharmacy if they have a pill bottle that would fit the brush. Most will give you a bottle for free. Drill several holes in the top and bottom so moisture can escape.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good brush for the money,, October 5, 2013
When I got this thing, I was amazed by the size compared to my badger brush. This thing is pretty large, and stinky (took many lathers to remove wet boar smell) But it whips up the most terrific lather ever. Its also pretty soft, just a little less than badger, but certainly isn't like rubbing sandpaper on your face.

Rate and Discover Movies