5.0 out of 5 stars The New Generation of Juicers

2.0 out of 5 stars good design, poor quality, SLOW customer service
Published on October 22, 2010 by Robert R Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Generation of Juicers, August 20, 2009
Jimmy Morelli (South Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Omega VRT330 Dual-Stage Vertical Single-Auger Low-Speed Juicer, White (Kitchen)
The first impression.
Let me start off by saying the construction of this machine is impressive. There was not a flimsy piece of plastic on the entire machine. The entire set-up is heavy gauge plastic, the machine easily reflects the $350 price tag, no questions asked. The machine is a lot heavier than most kitchen appliances, which is not a bad a thing. The machine was easy to clean and easy to assemble.

Performance.
To use this juicer you will need to cut up the produce, such as beets, apples, anything large and round. You need to cut them up anyway with your 3" shoot on the centrifugal juicer, most apples don't fit and the larger beats don't either. I use the apple corer/cuter from Pampered Chef, you can use it for the beets as well. Carrots fit fine, I could see some of the very large carrots needing to be cut.

The juicing operation is fast and effort less. They give you a pusher but you will not need it. The machine's design automatically pulls the produce into the hopper. All you need to do if feed the machine. The machine is extremely quiet, such a relief when I first turned it on, it almost sounds like a can opener but quieter. It's pretty simple, the produce gets crushed by the auger then pressed against the top metal mesh filter ring, then squeezed more then pressed against the bottom filter ring (there is one filter that consists of a top metal filter about an inch of plastic separating then a bottom ring, check the picture to get a better idea). There is also a outer self cleaning cover over the filter with three sets of three squiggy things one for the top filter, one for the bottom filter and one large one for the outer case. This thing cleans itself as it works, pour some water in the machine between juicing and it removes the remnants of what you just juiced, getting it ready for your next produce. Don't get me wrong this thing does not literally clean itself but the self cleaning mechanism makes it simple to clean at the end of juicing. The juice is separated from the pulp and flows out a spout in the bottom front of the machine and the pulp gets pushed out a shoot on the bottom side, it's actually pretty cool to watch, there is very little juice left in the pulp, much more efficient than the 3 models I tried.

Quality of the juice.
They advertise that by squeezing the produce you get a better tasting juice with more vitamins. I was skeptical when I read it. When I took my first sip of carrot juice I could tell the difference immediately. I couldn't figure out how to describe it though, it's both juice from a carrot, how can one taste so different. This might not make sense but this is how I will describe the taste difference. The juice from the centrifugal machines taste as if it was watered down compared to the juice from the Omega Vert. When I took my first sip of apple juice, there was no comparisons, the taste was so crisp and fresh, actually like taking a bite from an apple. I was amazed at the difference.

Orange juice from every juicer I have used never tasted like the fresh squeezed store bought juice, With the Omega Vert it does, same consistency with no separation, the separation you see in the glass of juice from a centrifugal juicer is what gives it the watered down taste. I am not knocking the juice that comes from other machines but to understand what I am saying you need to find away to taste the juice this machine puts out. I guarantee you will instantly taste the difference as I have and have an entire different outlook on juicing. I guess the high rpm's actually cause flavor to be lost, my theory is the shredding and spinning not the heat as others say, the machine spins so quickly that most of the liquid that escapes is water that is missing most of the vitamins, sugars, flavor and fibers. The Omega Vert operates at very low rmp's, and squeezes instead of shreds and spins

The one thing Omega did say was that there is no froth to the juice as it is squeezed and not spun, this was not true. There was very little froth compared to centrifugal models but it is present, but as I said there is no visible separation of the juice and it tastes absolutely fantastic.

Conclusion.
This juicer is expensive, but from what I have seen on my first day it is worth it just on construction alone, plus it comes with a 10 year FULL warranty, if anything breaks it is replaced. I have not dealt with their customer service department that much, I did asks them two questions via e-mail and it took 24 hours for a reply, but that's normal. They did ship the juicer out within 7 days which is good for a manufacturer. I hope I never have to deal with them enough to write about it in a review.

If juicing is a lifestyle to you then this is the juicer for you, hands down. It takes a little bit longer to prepare produce and clean the machine, add up that total extra time between this juicer and a centrifugal one and your only looking at a 5 minute difference. It all depends on how you prepare and what handy kitchen tools you have. I have only used this machine once but I have been juicing long enough to know a good thing when I see it. I want to submit this review because there are very few out there. From what I have seen with the quality the juice I am convinced I found my juicer. Only time will tell regarding to the machines durability and reliability, but as I said this thing is built like a tank and has a 10 year full warranty.

If you are going to purchase this juicer than purchase it through Omega's website, [...] , they offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Amazon does not carry this juicer so you will not get their guarantee, every site selling on Amazon only excepts returns where the box has not been opened and the machine has never used plus add on to that a hefty restocking fee. I like shopping with the little guy but that is crazy. I like purchasing Amazon when I can as they have never done wrong by me but it was unfortunate they didn't carry this.

I normally don't leave a review at least a good review until I have used the product for at least two weeks, sometimes more. There are very little reviews out there of this juicer out there and it needs more as it is worth it. I have fallen in love with this thing and am convinced this thing is golden. I just want others out there to make sure they are aware I have only used this once , I used carrots, beets, oranges and celery on this all with great results and great performance. If you check You Tube you can find videos of demonstrations and comparisons with other machines. Checkout the Alive and aware site or Ferns, both sell this juicer on Amazon, they have good info and videos. Also try discountjuicers.com they have good info as well. Just remember if you buy and want a 30 day guarantee return policy buy from Omegajuicers.com.

Hope this helps.

Update 4/14/2011. I have used this juicer for close to 2 years now and just wanted to let you know it still works just as good as it did the day I first used it. This is absolutely a great juicer.

2.0 out of 5 stars good design, poor quality, SLOW customer service, October 22, 2010
We bought the VRT330 in May of 2010 and used it daily. For the first 6 weeks we couldn't have been happier, as was Omega and Amazon too I'm sure, because it made it past the 30 refund period. It is easy to clean, simple to assemble and the juice was great...at first. However, over time we noticed more and more pulp in our juice (we mostly juice carrots, apples, spinach, beets & occasionally kale). We attributed it to wear (all the parts are primarily plastic), and figured with the good warranty we would simply replace what we figured was the obviously worn auger when it became bad enough that we couldn't live with it.

After a few months it continued to expel more and more pulp into our juice and we couldn't live with it. Additionally it had developed another nasty habit of leaking out the bottom of the clear plastic tub and running juice all over the counter. I contacted Omega and after a few emails and phone calls they agreed to replace the auger... then it took nearly a month to ship it to me! Well now we finally have the new auger and guess what? the auger didn't help and in addition juice is leaking out the unit all over our kitchen counter to boot. Obvious conclusion, at best; the basket assembly is worn as well and the gaskets are already gone. At worst, the locking mechanism is worn and can't adequatly clamp the unit together to seal the components together. There is SO much pulp in the juice (no matter which screen we use) that it is useless. Omega is saying they'll make it right. Their version of making it right is to MAYBE send an entire new unit (they have to think about it first and we as vegetarians that juice daily have to go with out a juicer in the mean time). No commitment and no hurry on Omega's part to that and no satisfaction either. At this point I simply want my money back. My opinion is that the juicer is a good design, but the quality of the components is severely lacking. Especially so, for the $350 price tag.

I've read the other reviews (and believe me I read them BEFORE I purchased this unit too). I think the folks that made the good reviews jumped in and wrote their review right away after receiving the unit and trying it a few days. Had I done that (in the first few weeks) I would have happily gave an awsome review too, because the juice really really is superior in this juicer...when it is working. However, if you use this daily, or give it time if you use it occasionally... you will NOT be happy. At this point, neither will I unless they refund my money. Poor...Poor...POOR quality of components and mediocre at best (hey they do at least answer the phone and will respond to an email) customer service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for multiple purposes, March 6, 2012
Matt "Matt" (Grand Rapids MI) - See all my reviews
I bought this juicer "used-very good" with fulfillment by Amazon. It should have said "used-BETTER THAN NEW". Definitely get the "HD" version of these juicers since the inner component, made of plastic, is under a lot of pressure but does not crack now that it is made of a much harder plastic composite material.

My wife and I am are on day 20 of a 30-day juice fast, and we have used this machine for everything. We've juiced whole cantalopes with the rind, 25 lbs. of carrots, and piles and piles of leafy greens like kale, spinach, lettuce, etc. We've done every hard root plant as well as things that aren't recommended, like strawberries (which come out more like a smoothie). The key is to chop things up first--especially celery and greens that are stringy. It comes with a fine mesh screen for less pulp, or a wide mesh screen for more pulp. I think the "pulpy" version would be disgusting; as it is, we strain some of our blends though another mesh strainer that we have so it's relatively smooth. We don't always have to do that though-- it depends on our mood and what stuff we have juiced.

Like any juicer, you have to learn how to use it. I have used a Champion in the past, and it seemed like a lot of work to push things through. This seems much more versatile. We are also sprouting and growing our own wheatgrass, and this juicer also juices that. I am sure that other juicers do a better job specifically with wheatgrass, but we get a decent yield with few problems. Before you use the Omega VRT330 juicer, I suggest you watch any of the zillion YouTube videos that come up if you search there, so you'll have better results. It's good to see the technique that the juicing experts use with this specific model (the enclosed manual does not address "best practices" for using this).

It takes about 3 minutes to disassemble and clean, which we do twice a day currently. It has clogged up on a few occasions, so you do have to make sure that it is steadily ejecting pulp to know that it's working right.

I'm very picky with my purchases, especially when I'm spending more than $300 on an appliance. I wanted something that does "ok or better" with a wide range of things including wheatgrass, and there are few juicers that can do all that without additional accessories. The Omega has met the challenge for us so far on every imaginable vegetable and fruit that can be juiced, and it seems really well built. I encourage you to choose this one if you want a low-foam, consistent juicer that can stand up to heavy use.

UPDATE 12/16/2012:
Just wanted to say that we've continued to use this juicer regularly and heavily, and it has held up great. It's still 5-star to me. We bought another juicer that was specific for juicing wheatgrass, but we returned it when we found that we got almost exactly the same yield as with our Omega VRT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Juicer..., April 10, 2012
I've had the juicer for nearly 2 months now - and use it most every day. It's awesome, and I like it a lot better than my high speed juicer. This thing is a monster. It pretty much masticates everything you put in... with a minor exception. (read on...)

Here are the things I've noticed:

1. Start with the soft stuff
2. Work up to stringy/leafy things, as they tend to clog the ejection chute - leaving things a bit frothy. (this is why the juicer gets a 4 star...)
3. Finish with something firm - like an apple - to really get all of the pulp masticated.

Easy to clean - but try not to forget to plug the bottom cleaner when done! Otherwise, you've got beet juice all over the place.

Yeah, its expensive, but it works wonders and I get a ton of juice from nearly everything I put in there... most of the pulp comes out nearly dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, October 29, 2011
I needed a juicer that would be easy to use and easy to clean. If it is not easy then I know from experience that I just won't use it and it will be a waste of money. I've been using this one for 5 or 6 months and I love it. It is easy and cleans up quickly. I use it mainly for apple, orange, grapefruit, and carrot juice. I also juice lemons to make fresh lemonade. We put the pulp in our compost bin. I'm very happy with it so far. I hope it lasts for many years.

Update 2/2012: I now use the juicer extensively for vegetable juice also. I'm happy to say it juices leafy greens and other veggies just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lots of flaws! Buyer beware!, November 19, 2011
Jacko (Miami, FL USA) - See all my reviews
If you are considering buying this juicer, please read this review, along with the other negative reviews you see posted here and on other sites. Although the Vert has some potential, it fails to deliver and is a huge disappointment.

Before I proceed, I'll admit this is not the worst juicer in the world. If you are a casual juicer and you want to juice carrots and apples a few times a year, and you don't mind the high price, you'll probably be happy with this machine (although a much cheaper department store juicer would be a better fit). But this juicer claims to be so much more than that, and that's where it falls short. This juicer is supposed to handle all types of fruits and vegetables, leafy greens, wheat grass, and it's supposed to be faster and easier to use then traditional single auger juicers. While it does some things well, it has far too many flaws to justify the high price tag.

I also want to point out that this review is not meant to be anti-Omega. I think Omega is a good company, they just failed miserably with this product. After going through two Verts, I ended up buying the Omega 8006 and could not be happier with it. Throughout my review, I'll try to compare the Vert with the 8006, and point out the many ways the 8006 is a superior machine.

There are plenty of reviews here raving about the Vert, so I'm just going to focus on the machines many flaws. I'll try to be as quick and concise as possible.

1. Pulp ejection valve always gets clogged

This is by far the biggest problem plaguing this product, and it was rarely mentioned in all the glowing reviews I read prior to purchasing the juicer. Basically, there is a small valve that allows pulp to be slowly ejected out... the problem is, the valve is very small and clogs easily... especially when juicing leafy greens and any fibrous vegetables such as celery, wheat grass, kale, etc. To get around this problem, most stores that sell the Vert are now advising you to chop up all your fruits and vegetables into small pieces before juicing. They also advise that you alternate hard and soft produce, and that you feed the machine VERY SLOWLY. I don't know about all of you, but this seems like a lot of prep work for a machine that was supposed to be faster and easier to use then traditional single auger juicers. The Omega 8006 doesn't require this prep work, and it will NOT clog.

2. Juice leaks out from the bottom of the unit

This is another huge problem with the Vert. Juice always seems to leak out from under the auger, and it ends up making its way on to the motor unit. There are plenty of Youtube videos out there acknowledging this problem. It's a pain to clean, and I can't imagine it's a good thing having juice inside the motor.

3. Poor yield compared to other high end juicers

The Vert will outperform most department store juicers and centrifugal juicers when it comes to yield. But when compared to the 8006 and some twin gear models, it doesn't match up, especially when juicing vegetables. There are plenty of yield tests on Youtube for those of you that are interested.

4. Too much pulp

All juicers allow some pulp to end up in your juice, but the Vert allows an absurd amount, especially when juicing leafy greens. Of course you can strain the juice when you are done, but that's another step and more time you have to devote to using this machine.

5. Too much foam

Again, a little foam is produced by most juicers, but the Vert is one of the worst offenders. For example, when juicing beets almost 50% of the output was foam. This may not be a deal breaker for some, but it's something to consider. The 8006 barely produces any foam.

6. The white plastic stains very easily

Yes, the white plastic will stain. The first time you juice carrots, or beets, say goodbye to the shiny white colors. You can soak the parts in vinegar, bleach, dish soap, and the stains will not go away. I believe Omega now makes a model using darker plastics, so if you still want to buy a Vert, I'd suggest you go with that model.

7. The silicon wiper blades will not last.

I like the idea behind the wiper blades, but after a couple of weeks the blades started showing signs of wear. I can't see them lasting longer then 6-12 months without needing replacement.

8. Difficult to clean

Cleaning times will vary, depending on how meticulous you want to be. But compared to the 8006, the Vert takes 2-3x longer to clean. This is due to the Vert's very large juicing screen, tiny rubber parts, and crevices that love to attract juice.

Needless to say, I would NOT recommend the Vert! You'd be much better off going with the Omega 8006. It's cheaper, has a proven design and track record, doesn't require extensive prep work, it's easier to clean, and it's a much more versatile machine (you can use it to make fruit sorbets, pastas, etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars Juiced!, March 16, 2012
I have been juicing for 30 years and this is the best juicer I have ever used as far as quality of juice. The juice is really remarkable. I have to say that you can taste the difference between the high speed centrifugal juicers like the Omega 1000 and this low speed masticating VRT 330. And the noise is so reduced, I can hear my music playing while juicing. Another great benefit is that this machine seems to squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the fiber leaving a fairly dry residue that can be replaced into the machine one more time, if you like, to squeeze out any more drops of juice. My only criticism so far is that I enjoy more pulp in my juice than most people and use the extra pulp screen supplied by Omega and I have already suffered a crack in the screen body. I am going to contact Omega this weekend and see about getting a replacement. Cleaning? Well, all of these machines are a chore to clean, this one supplies you with a special brush tool which is very helpful. So, the machine quietly makes the tastiest, coolest ( they say that juice from this machine can last up to 72 hours!), and utilizes the most fruit and vegetable material of any machine I have ever owned. I am very interested in how fast I get a replacement screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Juicer Ever!, January 21, 2010
George B. Martin (Bakersfield, California USA) - See all my reviews
Over the years, I've purchased a number of juicers, but usually quickly stop using them because the cleanup is too difficult or time-consuming. I've been using the Omega Vert since September 2009 without worries. It's relatively quiet and I simply disassemble the parts, wash and reassemble in about a minute and a half. There are really only five or six parts and only one that really needs to be brushed.

Also, this might sound crazy, but the juice tastes better and there is far more juice from this juicer than any other.

I've never written a review on Amazon, but I felt I had to after reading a review from some guy from San Diego who, in the process of pushing another product, complained about the juicer. I was astonished at how off-base his review was. He's correct that there is a little rubber piece that easily pops in and pops out to make cleaning the unit much, much easier, but his criticism that this is a problem because he almost lost the rubber piece is amazing. Not only does Omega provide you a duplicate, but it never even occured to me that someone might lose the piece. Just take it out, clean, put back in. Also, he complains that he broke his machine by accidentally snapping the lid on the wrong way while he was half asleep. He must have seriously worked to force it on the wrong way as I don't even understand how what he is talking about is possible looking at the machine! Crazy.

Bottom line: This is the best juicer I've ever used in terms of taste and (just as importantly) ease of use. The criticisms from the previous user are either fictitious or the result of almost mind-bogglingly weird operator error and unless you are literally trying to break the machine, you won't run into any of the problems the reviewer noted.

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls Short of the Promise, September 8, 2010
For 350 bucks I want a tank I can throw off a cliff, a workhorse that I can rely on, a fine piece of machinery. This ain't it. While I do love the juicer, and I use if every single day, it has some design flaws that are pretty inexcusable in my book.

First, the strainer basket is made from weak plastic that will crack no matter how small you dice stuff. You better cut lemons and beets into small pieces or this thing will crack. I've cracked 3 of them so far so this is a fundamental flaw in material. To their credit Omega is fast and easy to deal with but come on people, I paid too much for this to happen.

Second, this is not an easy juicer to clean. It can take 10 full minutes of work to get it spic and span and you have to use a special brush to get all the particles out of the fine mesh strainer.

Third, the discharge shoot ALWAYS clogs and sometimes requires prodding with the tool. I find that I have to adapt to this machine's flaws rather than it working with *me*.

I love my juicer, but if I could trade it in for another I would. I am hooked on juicing now, but will have to wait until this thing dies before I can afford to plop down another 350 for a replacement. Fail town.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST juicer ever!!, August 10, 2009
shoppingbird (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
The Omega Vert juicer is hands down the BEST juicer I've ever owned. I've tried many (including several centrifugal juicers and even spent $500 on a Greenstar). There are 2 things that are important to me regarding juicers-the RPM and the cleanup. It's important to me to use a juicer that has a low RPM vs. using a centrifugal(which has an extremely high RPM) because I want the best quality juice possible. If I'm going to spend money buying fresh organic produce, I don't want to ruin it by heating it up(which a high RPM does). I want to get the most for my money and get as many nutrients as possible. The Omega Vert has a low 70 RPM. Now to the cleanup...a breeze. There was no scrubbing(even though it comes w/a scrub brush). Everything rinsed out well, so all I had to do was soap everything up and rinse. It also helps that there's very few parts to clean (compared to many other juicers). There's only 8 parts total and that includes the 2 juice/pulp containers. Cleaning the Vert compared to centrifugal juicers(that have horrible baskets that are the worst to clean) is an absolute breeze. The Vert is compact(not large like a Greenstar), so I can keep it out on my counter as I plan to use it almost everyday. To me the Greenstar has way too many parts, is too large and too much of a pain to even think about using. Some hardcore juicers may disagree, but for me I need something quick & easy or I will not use it. If you're looking for a quality juicer, this is your best bet-thanks Omega!