5.0 out of 5 stars Omega 8006 vs 400 vs 350 vs Breville Elite
I have used the Omega J8006, VRT 350 & 400, and the Breville Elite 800 JEXL. This is not a major comparison as they're better ones out there. This is just some notes from my real world experiences with all of them. I figure if you're reading this, you already are well into your research and already know a lot.

I think the 400 is the best for my needs. I juice...
Published 13 months ago by J. Ing

2.0 out of 5 stars Drink plastic with your juice
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:25 Mins
Published 15 months ago by P Kokity

2.0 out of 5 stars Drink plastic with your juice, September 14, 2013
This review is from: Omega Vertical Masticating Hd Juicer W/Tap Vrt400 (Kitchen)
Length:: 2:25 Mins

I bought this from BB&B using a 20% off coupon, so it was a much better deal than Amazon. Actually, at the time, it was not even available through the Omega web site, BB&B, or Amazon. I had asked the salesperson about it and they had looked it up in the system and found it in their web site. I would love this juicer if it were not for (in order):

1. There is friction between the strainer, cleaning/spinning brush apparatus, and bottom of the bowl. The end result is that the plastic is being ground down on the inside and ending up in the juice. It was noticeable within 5 juicing sessions. It is much worse 2 months later (juicing once every 3 days or so) So, this could be a health concern if the plastic is something that is absorbed through the GI tract and ends up in our blood/tissues. If it cannot be absorbed by your body, it should just go out in your poo. See my video regarding this. I will be contacting Omega about this to see if they know about the grinding down of the plastic. I think that the only solution to this is a re-design. Replacing the parts just means new parts to grind. This must be happening with all VRT models because they work the same and the parts are interchangeable.

UPDATE 10/1/13: I AM POSITIVE THAT THE PLASTIC FRICTION/WEAR IS FROM THE FACT THAT THE BOWL DOES NOT LOCK DOWN ONTO THE BASE. THIS CREATES A WOBBLE IN THE BOWL AND ALL OF THE PARTS INSIDE IT. I HAVE BOUGHT A VERT350 AND IT DOES NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM BECAUSE THE BOWL LOCKS ONTO THE BASE. I, ALSO, HAVE NOTICED THAT THE 350 HAS LESS VIBRATION NOISE THAN THE 400 SO IT IS QUIETER.

2. Any fibrous material clogs the pulp shoot before you get a full container of juice because it cannot make a 90 degree turn. Even when I am cutting parsley and celery down to under 1/4" as recommended on some sites.

3. Every time I go to clean it, there is always plenty of vegetable material inside that is not juiced. Even after running small spurts of water into it to flush it through.

3. It takes a long time to clean. The omega video the says that it is self-cleaning by pour water through it is false advertising. You cannot go from one vegetable juice to another without first doing a full cleaning. TRY BUYING A CUISINART JUICER BRUSH, IT WORKS MUCH BETTER THAN THE OMEGA 'TOOTHBRUSH'

4. The strainer for the juice container is great but the pulp clogs it fast and you have to push the pulp to the side to let juice through. By the time you fill the container, the strainer is almost always overflowing.

It is mostly #1 that is why I am going to return this to BB&B. The customer service people will probably look at it and say, "Yeah, that is a possible health concern" #2 is what other juicer designs are for. #3 & #4 just require patience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Omega 8006 vs 400 vs 350 vs Breville Elite, December 1, 2013

I think the 400 is the best for my needs. I juice a lot. My standard juice is Kale, cucumber, carrots, pineapple, celery, green apple, and lemon (sometimes wheat grass when I'm not too lazy to grow it myself). All of it comes out as dry pulp. The juice is high quality (liquid, not foam and froth; see Breville below). A jam or two is not uncommon during a juicing session if I put too much, too fast. But a reverse always quickly takes care of it, no problem.

What didn't work for me is that the Breville turned some of the fruits into "froth and foam" more then juice. Especially the pineapple. It was like one of those "whipped" drinks. Nothing wrong with whipped drinks, but only when I want it. This is already known, but the Breville doesn't do kale well despite trying out the various techniques (wheat grass not at all). The kale would spray out in the trash bin in bits and pieces and even small leaves. So juice was still in the wet pulp. When using the same amount of vegetables and fruits, I got 5+ jars of juice instead of 6+ jars from the Omega. I thought people calling it a jet engine in the kitchen was an exaggeration. It's no joke. The noise scared my wife and she wouldn't even touch the Breville. So, returned.

The horizontal J8006 worked well, but putting fruits and veggies in that tiny hole and plunging it down got to be a bit much, even for a patient guy like me. The bigger hole in the vertical model makes a difference. I can drop something in and it'll practically feed itself while I cut something else.

The 350 vs 400. They're the same thing except for a few tweaks that makes it worth the upgrade for me (it was a $50 difference at the time). The "tap" lessens foam and messy dribble. Also the way the container just snaps on by placing it on top instead of having to fuss with it like with the 350 is a design improvement. You could see the 350 container strain and "wobble" a bit because it didn't have the way more stable connection the 400 has now.

Oh, and almost forgot a big thing. The 400 was shocking me at the forward/reverse switch so I would make sure not to get that area wet or keep my hand dry or grab a small hand towel. Yeah, pretty major issue I dealt with, huh? I read another reviewer has the same issue so it looks like Omega is going to have to deal with some sort of design or manufacturing issue. Anyway, my 400 eventually just stopped working. Dead. I called customer service and the tech was great. He said send it back on their dime (UPS) and he sent back a new one. I'm in LA and they're somewhere on the other side of the US (Florida?). Anyway, the whole process took less then 2 weeks.

So, best of all, they honor their 10 year warranty which is one of the major reasons I bought it (and making great quality juice). The issue with the electric shock would have gotten this rating a 4 (it still makes great juice out of all the juicers) but the no hassle customer service makes it a 5. Too bad other posters didn't get the same customer service rep and tech I got. Need some consistent here, Omega.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great juicer, and excellent customer service, June 11, 2013
Nancy (Georgetown, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
I did a lot of research on masticating juicers, finally settling on this one. It is awesome. I love how quiet it is and it seems to get every last bit of juice out of whatever I'm juicing. And, surprisingly it is very easy to clean once you get the assembly down. (In comparison I had a Breville Juice Fountain Multi Speed before - NO comparison).

When I received the juicer, the pulp container was cracked and the bowl had some crazy sticker that I absolutely could not remove. I contacted Kitchen Kapers and they reached out to Omega for me, who willingly replaced both items at no cost. Wow - super impressed by Kitchen Kapers' responsiveness, and Omega's customer care.

1.0 out of 5 stars Take Caution!, I have been electricuted by this juicer, November 13, 2013
Let me start by saying this is one of the best juicers on the market in my opinion. However, my excitement for this juicer is tainted because of electrical shocks I experienced on three separate occasions through my right arm to the shoulder while pressing the reverse switch with my wet right hand (from washing the food while juicing), and while, at the same time, feeding/touching the juicer shoot with my left hand. "DO NOT OPERATE THE SWITCH WITH WET HANDS". I have not been shocked since i have been keeping my hands dry. I also make sure i'm only touching the juicer with one hand while pressing the switch. I did report this experience to a live person at Omega Corporate and they never followed up with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so quiet that you can talk while blending!, June 5, 2013
K (Plantation, FL USA) - See all my reviews
We use this at least once a day! My major concern before getting this juicer was noise. I stopped juicing because of the tornado like roar of my juicers - I went through at least four juicers. This is so quiet that you can talk while blending! That is such a relief! Plus, we can make a pitcher of carrot juice and clean the Omega in less than 15 minutes if need be. I recommend this to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, July 7, 2013
We've been looking for a juicer for a long time. My MIL has done extensive research about juicers and highly suggested this one. She has a Breville which is good but it's loud and juices fast so you lose nutrients of what you're juicing. This is a great product! Compared to the Breville, this one is slower, but that's what it's supposed to do. It's easy to clean, quiet, and I really like it. It depends on what you want, quick and less nutrients or slower with all the nutrients of the items you're juicing. Just a hint...the manual suggests or says you can/should use this machine for 30 minutes and then let it rest the motor. This is so the machine doesn't overheat which would defeat the purpose of this juicer. So, I suggest prep all your ingredients and then juice. You will need to make time to juice. However, in my opinion, this is worth the money and time spent. The downside is that it did not come with an instruction manual. It is necessary unless you've watched a video but still the manual has important info for you. Happy Juicing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars VRT400 and Omega Customer Service ROCK!, April 5, 2014
I have had a VRT400 for about a week and have juiced 2-3 times per day. The issue of wear, plastic on plastic, is very noticeable and I called Omega about this issue. The answer is new parts. My unit was manufactured August 2013 and I am not sure if Omega has made any changes to the material used. Overall, the VRT400 works great for my use, but plastic on plastic wear is of great concern.
I will likely return this unit and look for some substitute. (posted as comment on Feb 2014)

3/20/2014 Update
Omega sent replacement parts and the same issue has taken place -- plastic wore out within days. I have juiced kale, collard greens, carrots, apples, celery, ginger, kiwi which are all fairly soft. I do not understand how the plastic has worn out so quickly. Except for this issue I really like the quality of juice. And yes, fruits like apple make more of a smoothie type juice, pulpy-- which I like for breakfast -- this is using the coarse screen. For greens and non fruit items, I use the fine screen -- some pulp, but mostly very good juice.

Update (4/5/2014):
I returned the original unit and replaced it with another VRT400. The review(s) about plastic wear is relevant, however, I found the same issue can happen with the VRT350HDS.
After reading previous reviews, I decided to check if the VRT400 Cup would fit a VRT350. After obtaining a 350VRT, I checked to see if the cup would fit -- well, it does click on and hold but the cup is too high and will not activate the magnetic safety switch so the unit will turn on.
Since I had the 350 on had I decided to test it and started juicing Kale and Collards for a number of days, I found that the same issue of plastic wear took place. So it is not the wobble that causes the wear! It is actually the stem fiber of the kale and specially the collards. If the stems are brittle then cutting the stems in 1/2 inch pieces will work, but if the stems are somewhat flexible and bendable without breaking -- then you have problems and the fibrous material causes wear on the bowl and internal parts to the VRT400/350.
At this point, I still juice greens and vegies but I am more aware of the stem issue and usually will cut the stems and discard them. If the greens are very fresh and stems are crunchy (brittle) then I cut them in small pieces and juice them. The same is done for celery which can cause jams due to the fibrous nature of the stem. I cut them in 1/2 - 3/4 inch and feed them to the juicer and have not had any jams now for weeks. Preparation for juicing takes 5+ minutes but I am not having any issues with the VRT 400.
As a final note: Please work with Omega Customer Support -- they replaced all parts (bowl, strainer, auger and hopper cover). So rather than returning the unit and exchanging for some other juicer -- it would be a great idea to work with the folks at Omega Juicers Customer Support for resolution. You may want to watch John Kohler from Discount Juicers on preparation of greens and vegies for juicing.
Now, with careful choice and preparation of greens, I do not have as much wear on the bowl and strainer as before.
Overall, I would buy VTR400 again and would highly recommend the unit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Juicer, August 2, 2013
This juicer is fantastic. We've done a ton of different fruits & veg and have not been disappointed. There is no foam and the extra straining tray makes for a completely smooth juice. Cleans very easily and is even easier to assemble. This juicer is great because it has a stopper on the juice spout, which makes it easy to strain or to make a large amount of juice at one time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very well, June 8, 2013
I have tried
1. Leafy vegetables (lost one star on this). Fiber can clog the pulp outlet
2. Nuts: works great
3. Fruits and other vegetables: works great

Pulp is dry and compact.

There are no sharp edges (unlike centrifuge juicers), that makes it safer to clean.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Juicer, May 29, 2013
The only issue I have is after watching YouTube videos on making banana sorbet the frozen bananas stopped the motor until I thawed them out some in the microwave. This may not be a fault of the juicer being underpowered but that my freezer freezes food too hard. The warranty is one of the best in the industry. Ten years and you are not required to send the old part back to Omega.

Omega Vertical Masticating Hd Juicer W/Tap Vrt400