Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Omerta [Explicit]
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 13, 2012
For years, bands like Dream Theater have gotten poor reviews from rock fan saying "it's too complicated", "there's too many notes", "not enough feeling". Now, Adrenaline Mob, a ROCK band is getting poor reviews from prog fans for being too "simple" and "dumb". As an avid fan of both, I have to say this album is incredible. If you're not a fan of bands like Stone Sour, Disturbed, Black Label Society, etc, you problably won't enjoy it. If you are, this should be a treat for you.
When blasted at full volume, these songs really kick some arse. Russell Allen, as always, is a beast on vocals. The more recent 'growl' in his voice fits this much better than the last couple of Symphony X albums, and he still belts out the high notes when he needs to. Mike Orlando has such a weird palm muted, stiff-armed style of shredding that even when you get used to it by the end of the album, it still sounds nasty. Mike Portnoy, known for his avid overplaying, really plays each note to perfection on this album. Each drum fill fits the moment or guitar lick perfectly and there's the occasional moment of time-feel shifting (yes, it stays in 4/4). Overall, all three guys keep up the energy throughout the album and make some songs that should be played on the radio (oh no, god forbid!). The mix is phenomenal and really lets them shine.
I will admit there's the occasional moment of cheese in the lyrics, but my overall rating of 4.5 rounds up to 5.

In conclusion, if you're simply a prog nerd and want odd signatures, movements and epics, this isn't for you. If you want some rock music to blast, GET IT!
44 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2014
Great CD! Worth every penny! Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys metal! If you enjoy metal, you have to aggressively search to find the gems, as the radio plays the same old crap over and over, and while Sirius is much better, they hardly ever play most of the gems I've found by looking at metal label websites and metal magazine reviews online. Check-out some of the CDs that I have reviewed in my past, and I guarantee you will find something you may not have ever heard of! Stay metal and support our metal community! If you discover something you like on my past review list, click "yes" on where it says: "was this review helpful?"!
on March 15, 2012
I have been an off and on fan of Dream Theater. I have never listened to Sympnony X, but will be checking it out soon, based on Russel's performance here. Do I love a good solid, melodic, kick-ass metal disc? HELL YES I DO! I did not buy the EP, but OMERTA is awesome! Adrenaline Mob lives up to the promise of rocking, good time metal. Undaunted, kicks things off with a crunch. Psychosane, is cool. Indifferent, is one of the best tracks. All On The Line, is worth the purchase price by itself. Hit The Wall, hits you hard. Feelin Me, is cool, but the F Bombs and other language doesn't seem to be necessary, still cool song, just have to skip when kids around. Come Undone, is a very cool cover tune. Believe Me, another cool melodic metalpiece. Down To The Floor, will knock you down. Angel Sky, is the other ballad and a good balance to other heavy tracks. I love Feight Train, it kicks ass. I see some other reviews point out that Omerta isn't very technical, I agree. The band has stated it isn't supposed to be. This is a fun, melodic, grooving, fun, metal record. I wasn't sure what to think reading other reviews. Glad I took the chance. OMERTA is awesome. I highly recommend this disc!
44 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 15, 2012
Omertà
noun
(as practiced by the Mob/Mafia) a code of silence about criminal activity and a refusal to give evidence to authorities.

Cool title...actually had to look that up. And the small Mob that recorded Omertà is: Russell Allen - vocals (most known for Symphony X); Mike Portnoy - drums (most known for Dream Theater); and Mike Orlando - guitar/bass (most known for...um...playing guitar and bass on Adrenaline Mob's first record).

5 out of 11 stand out tracks on Omertà are the album's first 3 kick-off songs called Undaunted, Psychosane (in which Mike Orlando's Zakk Wylde influence loudly shreds), and Indifferent (that is also worth checking the video out for on YouTube). In the middle of the album, Believe Me is a driving Hard Rocker as well. And finally, an "interesting" track is the cover of Duran Duran's Come Undone with guest vocalist Lzzy Hale (of Halestorm). The other 6 songs probably won't last very long on my iPod. (8/21/2013: SEE EDIT BELOW.)

A lot of criticism of Omertà stems from Dream Theater's and Symphony X's fan base that justifiably expected a veteran Progressive Metal disk but got more of a straight up Hard Rock album. It was clearly a deliberate move and desire by Portnoy and Allen to record a Rock record, not another Prog record. And it sounds pretty good to me. I think that they'll gain some new fans with Omertà; and I don't think that they'll lose any due to the change in direction. But Dream Theater and Symphony X fans should listen to a few songs before purchasing this disk, because (some of) it may not be palatable to the Progressive Metal ear.

Since recording the record the boys have been on tour with a couple of different guys to help out, such as Fozzy/Stuck Mojo guitarist Rich Ward and Fozzy bassist Paul Di Leo. But just recently Disturbed announced their "indefinite hiatus," so for the time being it seems that Disturbed bassist John Moyer has found a new home with Adrenaline Mob.

All in all Omertà is a pretty good Rock record. If I had the chance to do it over, I would download just the standouts versus the whole disk. But who knows, my standouts might not be yours, so final word: Give Omertà a try if you like Hard Rock.

EDIT: 8/21/2013 - A year later it turns out that this ENTIRE disk is one of my most played on my iPod; in fact, one of the most stand-out tracks for me is Hit the Wall which I didn't even mention when I originally wrote this review. I guess my point is that this album really grew on me and became one of the top Hard Rock records in my collection. I can't believe that after my first few listens I originally wrote that only 5 out of 11 tracks stood out...I have never had such a wrong first impression of an album. So it's about time I got back here and fixed this sorry review. Changed rating from 3 stars to 5.
on November 6, 2015
This album is GNARLY. Yes, gnarly. I wish to God the prog fans didn't leave feedback, but they had to and it brought this album way down in ratings. This album is TOP NOTCH if you like hard rock/heavy metal like I do. If prog is your thing, then I guess your expectations of a symphony x/dream theater collaboration HAD to be progressive, you were wrong. There's not a bad song on this album. You have to blast it from your stereo! I LOVE THIS CD AND WOULD REPLACE IN A HEARTBEAT. Russell Allen and co. Kick major @ss!.
Bought this because I am a fan of Mike Portnoy. He recorded this with them, and the EP called COVERTA... before leaving the band. This initial release is really super heavy. The lead singer (from Symphony X) is really awesome. The guitar player is extremely technical, and has chops galore. He also plays the bass on this first release. A great heavy metal release that sounds very aggressive... done by some really talented musicians. I have all of their releases... they are awesome. I found the writing on their second release MEN OF HONOR to be a bit better.... a bit more focused and more accessible. But this first CD is a must buy as well.
on February 8, 2013
Just an unreal combination of musicians with the drum master Mike Portnoy leading the charge. This album contains an excellent mix of pounding progressive riff heavy rock with a couple ballads. The remaking of an old Duran Duran song is top-notch. Russell Alan is absolutely BRILLIANT! One of the best rock singers of all time. Combine that with the unique guitar work provided by a tricky/flashy Mike Orlando who can pound out 64th notes without trying and you have the best heavy rock album made in 2012.
on September 3, 2012
Anyone hoping for AdMob to sound like a perfect mix of SX and DT would hate this album. The point of AdMob was not to create a predictable sound that satisfies fans of the member's original bands, but to create a new band with a new sound. And quite possibly find a new audience.

The fact that some dyed in the wool fans of the artists' original bands cant accept any change of course in these artists career is understandable. It happens all the time. Luckily for you unbending fans there is a huge back catalog of old material from the original bands to make you all happy. And luckily for others, there are some fans (like myself) that want to see what happens when these guys step out of the box and try something new. Good lord this CD ROCKS! Yes, there are some awkwardly tender moments on the CD. But given the age, maturity, and depth of these guys it's totally understandable if not forgivable. I think this CD is one of the best metal CDs this year. The musicianship on this recording is OUTSTANDING! What a great record. Appeals to everyone except the unbending fans slugging through the cobwebs of the past that can't let go of what they want this album to sound like as opposed to what it is.
on March 11, 2013
I personally don't understand why any of the negative reviews exist at all. I saw the interview of the band members on "That Metal Show" and I agree with Portnoy when he stated that there's not a weak song in the bunch. This is the first time that I've ever heard Mike Orlando play and I'm damned impressed. Russell Allen's voice reminds me of C. F. Turner of Bachman-Turner Overdrive and I love the pipes of them both.

This album is a straight-ahead rocker and thankfully doesn't sound like the Yes and Rush wannabees that Dream Theatre and Symphony X are. It's addictive to the point of requiring a twelve-step program. If you buy this album you might wind up jobless and on the street or under a bridge with a pair of earbuds stuck in your ears because you're powerless over wanting to listen it and your life has become unmanageable.

What the hell- buy it anyway!
on April 7, 2012
You really need to take this album for what it is, and be in the mood to listen to it. The mix on this album is improved from the EP, although the bumble bee widdly widdly guitar solos still grate on me when they appear. It's hard to explain, I know he's a great guitar player but something with his playing just doesn't click with me. There are some good riffs throughout though.

Some of it is in the ridiculous zone:
-Psychosane
-Down To The Floor (although improved from the EP)
-Freight Train (At least it wasn't a Nitro cover!)

but there were some great songs here too:
-Come Undone (great Duran Duran cover!)
-Undaunted
-All on the Line

It should not be compared to Dream Theater or Symphony X, because that's not what this album is at all. Yes, it's all a bit WWE-ish (Disturbed?), but I have to say that I had a lot of fun listening through Omerta, even laughing out loud a couple of times 'ARE YOU MOTHER F...ERS FEELING MEEEEE'. I'm not sure if that was the reaction they were going for, but oh well, I was having fun!

I don't think it will be in my regular rotation, but it was an excellent fit while driving through LA traffic. 3 1/2 stars.