4.0 out of 5 stars Update to my written review regarding cable management
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:02 Mins
I made this video to help eliminate the confusion regarding the cable management capabilities of this particular item. As the video shows, you can easily route cables from the sides as the cover does not block them.
Published on November 23, 2010 by TD99

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but not functional
I was really hoping that I could work with the covers to hide the cables. I'd read the reviews that said the covers were a challenge, but I really thought I'd be able to work with them.

I was so wrong.

Published on December 26, 2008 by R. Luzetski

4.0 out of 5 stars Update to my written review regarding cable management, November 23, 2010
TD99 (Southern California) - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:02 Mins

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but not functional, December 26, 2008
R. Luzetski "Rabit" (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews

I was so wrong.

First, there truly is just not enough room behind the covers. Due to the design, I simply couldn't run the cables I need - and I only have a TiVo and a DVD/receiver! (I ended up putting my Wii on it, also, but at that point there were so many cables hanging out it really didn't make a difference.)

In addition to that, the plastic from which the covers were made was far too hard for this application. The covers can't be bent enough to allow you to easily push and pull cables as you need to. A softer plastic would have been more appropriate.

And, as others have mentioned, getting the covers on and keeping them on is a serious challenge. I literally had bruises on my hands and arms where I was pulling, shoving, and pounding. I ended up using a towel to insulate the covers from the impact of the hammer I had to use to get them in place.

Other than the cable covers, though, the unit is solid and well designed. The fact that you can place the shelves at any level you like is very shiny. It really is a pretty set of shelves.

Not so pretty with all the cables hanging out, though. Since that's the reason I bought them, I can't give it more than 2 stars.

I'm now looking for something large to set next to the shelves so no one can see all the cables hanging everywhere. :( More money spent - I should have just bought more expensive shelves.

*sigh* And the marketing pics made it look so nice...

Oh, and one suggestion: measure your components. These shelves are actually ~17" wide and you have about 13-14" of depth, at most. I made the mistake of trusting the dimensions listed on the description. (I think that's the packaging's size.) My DVD/receiver unit is constantly sliding off because the feet hang over the front. I'm going to have to find some rubber pads to put under it to hold it in place.

4.0 out of 5 stars OmniMount Tria 1 B Component Wall Shelf, November 24, 2008
This OmniMount wall shelf is great! This product is inexpensive, stylish and practical. It is extremely easy to assemble and mount. I mounted it in an area of my bedroom where space is limited. Instead of mounting it to the studs, I mounted it to an area of the wall that is hollow, using anchor plugs and screws. As you can see from the pictures, I have a DVD player and a cable box on the shelf and it is holding up very well.

Additionally, the black glass feature is extremely practical to the extent that if you chose to mount this shelf in a high area, you would not be able to see the bottoms of your components underneath and through the glass. The cable management system is also a big plus. Another attractive feature is that the shelf sits close to the wall (unlike the OmniMount ECSB Component Shelf for CRT TVs & Video Accessories, which protrudes much too far from the wall). I highly recommend this product to anyone looking for a space saving wall shelf solution.Omnimount Tria 1 B 1-Shelf Wall Furniture (Black/Dark Glass)

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great & easy to install, August 11, 2008
Mike (New Orleans, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OmniMount Tria 3 Shelf Wall System, Black (Electronics)
I needed something to get my electronics out of the reach of my toddler. This unit mounted easily to the wall next to my TV. Mounts right to a stud so holds very securely. Shelves have a gloss side and a matte side and everything seems to be designed and constructed very well. As others have said, wire covers are a bit tricky. Enough room for my wires but hard to get them tucked in and then snap the covers on.

My only compaint is that two products that OmniMount sells that are designed to be used together...don't match! Since the wires don't magically go away after you tuck them in, some hang out the bottom, I needed something too hide those wires too. Specifically the HDMI cable that goes to my TV and ALL of the power cords. OmniMount has a separate "Wall Cable Management Kit - Model CMK" that matches the wire cover pieces of this shelf system except for one little thing...it's a different color!! The TRIA is mostly charcoal grey with a bit of silver sparkle. The CMK only comes in white with a rough texture designed to be paintable. I even went to Sherwin-Williams to see if they could match it but no luck. I ended up painting the bottom section of the TRIA's cable covers and all of the CMK pieces black and it all looks good. The CMK has a 90º elbow and three straight sections. This allowed me to turn at the bottom of the TRIA and run the rest of the wires out of sight behind my TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great and functional. Bad cable management., March 15, 2008
This review is from: OmniMount Tria 3 Shelf Wall System, Black (Electronics)
Installation was fairly easy. However, installation instructions were not very clear. Had to figure out a couple steps, as the example images were either not clearly demonstrated or missing.

The unit looks nice. You have a choice of where to mount the shelves on the unit, which is nice. The configuration that I decided on was good for my setup, but you can clearly see the seperation of the cable management covers. Looks a bit on the cheap side because of this.

The functionality and easy of use of the cable management system is poor. This was clearly lacking in good design. I suggest that you tightly tie two channels of wire before attempting to place the covers. I did not do this during the initial installation. Then, I had to run an additional wire a couple weeks later. Taking the covers off was a careful operation, and more difficult than expected. And, the process ended up stripping a power cord from removing a cover. Not happy about that. That's when I devised a better plan to tightly tie two channels before re-attaching the covers the second time around.

UPDATE: 1/3/2009
I've had this unit for quite a while, but am using it in my office now. It looks great in the office. It now holds my phone and headset, network switch and internet router, and a couple other miscelaneous items. Since cable management was my biggest complaint with this item, I'm changing from 3 stars to 4 stars, because everything else is very functional and looks great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great if only used for the light equipment, August 31, 2009
This review is from: OmniMount Tria 3 Shelf Wall System, Black (Electronics)
As everyone else rated this item; the instructional manual needs work, but the mount is definitely stylish in appearance.

It should be only mounted on the wall studs or concrete walls (which was my challenge to mount it on exterior wall of a Florida home).

I didn't have any problems with running the cables in the channel provided; just be patient/careful not to nick your thicker expensive cables when you slid them in.

The biggest problem with this product is that it can only be used with light equipments as illustrated in the catalog (light speaker, small VCR, Cable box). With anything above 10-15 lbs the shelves start sagging as it happened with my Receiver surround amplifier of 20 lbs.

The second problem is with the insufficient depth of the shelves; they are shallow and cannot accommodate for the wiring on the back of many equipments. My Dish Network satellite receiver and the amplifier are sticking out so far over the glass shelves that they seem they're going to fall off any minute.

Bottom line; Buy it only if you want to set it up just the way the catalogs has shown (shallow, light-weight equipments)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice look, easy setup for the price. Cable management system is a challenge..., October 2, 2009
C. Gilkey (Chesapeake, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OmniMount Tria 3 Shelf Wall System, Black (Electronics)
For ~$90, this shelf system is worth it.

No problem setting this up. The instructions aren't very detailed, but assembling the shelves was fairly intuitive, so this isn't too much of an issue.

Visually, the shelves are aesthetically pleasing (in plain english, they look real nice). The pictures don't do this product justice. You can move the three shelves to various brackets on the main mount.

The one drawback is the cable management system. If you plan on running more than two HDMI cables under the plastic covers, take note: carefully tie two cables in a bundle on either side of the cover/center frame (i.e. two cables tied in a bundle on the left side of the mount, two cables tied in a bundle on the right). Otherwise, the plastic covers will pinch the cables when you try to snap the cover in place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Omnimount exactly as exected., September 5, 2009
Coastie (Chesapeake Bay, Va) - See all my reviews
Ordered the Omnimount from a picture on Amazon and it arrived days before expected. It looks great on the wall. Easily mounted below my wall mounted HD TV in our billiard room. Good price, smart looking unit with dark glass shelf. Two screws and you are in. I give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice A+, February 3, 2010
This Product arrived fast and was easy to install. Finished product looks amazing. Item looks better in person that pictures show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Built, May 24, 2010
Its just the right size for my DirecTV receiver, its well made and it went together just fine.

OmniMount Tria 3 Shelf Wall System, Black