5.0 out of 5 stars Take it from a nurse
Published on June 28, 2011 by Wix

1.0 out of 5 stars Opt for the 7 Series!
Published on September 20, 2011 by Janet Schanzer

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it from a nurse, June 28, 2011
Wix (PA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Omron BP742 5 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor, White, Medium (Health and Beauty)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First off, this is a nice home blood pressure machine. While I would never mistake it for, nor compare it to the 2-3 thousand dollar Dinamap machines I use in professional practice - I do find this little Omron to be perfect for home usage. I was offered this product through Amazon's Vine program. Although I did not really need a blood pressure cuff I felt that my expertise may provide a useful review.

The B/P was accurate and it was done quickly. There is an arrhythmia warning indicator here and since I do not have one, I cannot venture to grade its efficiency but would comment that it is a nice addition. The cuff included is nice and has diagrams on it so you will know with minimum effort how it should be placed on your arm.

OK, so I know a lot of people here read the negative reviews in determining if they should purchase a model. I will put these pointers in bulletin form so they are easier to read:

- NO blood pressure machine is going to give the same reading every time. Your blood pressure changes with the wind and is not a number that should magically appear on a screen time after time. Using the cuff on the same arm multiple times in a row will likely ramp up the B/P every subsequent time, as well as your frustration. Using it after exercise, stress, meals or while you are tired will all play around with the final numbers. Pick a daily time to take your B/P, sit down and relax, then begin with your arm resting at your side. The main reason you track your B/P is to get a trend, which is why the built in memory is a nice feature. For people on meds or with special directives, continue to follow your doctor's advice on monitoring.

- Cuff size is extremely important! For people with small arms or large arms you MUST go get the correct cuff for your arm size or it will throw the numbers off dramatically. If you aren't willing to get a new cuff for this machine and your arms are not within this range, don't waste your money. Using a cuff too small will result in readings that are too high wheras using a cuff too large for your body will falsely lower that reading. If the cuff is peeling off your arm as the machine inflates, or if the cuff feels loose and the machine is ramping up the pressure much higher than your normal blood pressure, you might want to double check to ensure the cuff size is correct, and that it is correctly placed.

- Batteries must be fresh and not on their last leg. There is an optional A/C adapter which is DC6V. If you are using batteries you must keep a back up set or go out an get an adapter.

Bottom line: if you read, follow directions and keep fresh power to this machine it will give you what you need. The reading is only as good as the machine operator's technique and this basic skill can easily be mastered with a little patience and research. If you get this machine and are still in doubt as to its proper use you can either consult this product's manuel, call their help line, ask the doctor's office nurse for guidence, or simply search on the internet. Hope this helps in your purchasing decision!

Made in Veitnam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Easy to Use!, March 14, 2011
Ever since my husband came home from the doc after being told to watch his blood pressure, we've been using this monitor. It's SUPER easy to use, it's fast, it's convenient and it's accurate. I took it with to the doctor and tested them side by side - both this machine and the doctor's came up with the EXACT same reading.

I love that it's so compact too. When it's not in use, I put it in the included bag and tuck it into the buffet in my dining room.

I'd recommend this cuff to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective monitor, July 4, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very simple blood pressure monitor. After a very easy initial set-up in which you put in the date and time, there's really only one button that you need. It's marked Start/Stop, which is slightly confusing because it's also the On/Off button. In order to take a reading, you must first fit the inflatable cuff and then press this button twice. Very simple.

The cuff is easy to put onto the bare skin of one's upper arm (about half an inch above your elbow crease) and adjusts to deal with anyone whose elbow is 9 - 13 inches (22 - 32 cm) in diameter. To measure your diameter, get someone to wrap a piece of string around your upper arm and measure the string with a ruler. I can (only) imagine that people with extremely large biceps will have a problem. A bigger issue for the target market might be the minimum size.

The only slightly annoying thing about the monitor is the barely-noticeable boot-up time. After you push the Start/Stop button once, wait until the machine has displayed the date and then press the button again. It takes a few seconds and if you press it too soon, the machine switches off. Even though I know this, I still do it almost every time.

The cuff will inflate and in about a minute you'll have your two blood pressure numbers and your heart rate/pulse:
i) systolic, the pressure when your left ventricle contracts, ie your heart beats
ii) diastolic, the (more important) pressure when your heart is relaxed
iii) pulse rate - how many times your heart beats per minute

Some things to be aware of when you're dealing with ANY blood pressure monitor. First, your readings will vary. My systolic pressure varies between 110 and 120. My diastolic pressure varies between 52 and 63. My pulse varies between 49 and 60. All of that variation has occurred in about 10 days. It's very dependent on how you fit the cuff, what you've eaten, what you've drunk and how excited/out of breath you are. For instance, I took a reading, ate a popsicle and took another reading to find all my numbers had increased by 5. Also, when I get my blood pressure checked by a doctor/physician's assistant, it's always higher (and even more if it's an attractive woman). It turns out, and there are studies to prove this, that the "white coat effect" is real: we are more nervous in those kind of settings and it affects our physiology (not permanently!).

To avoid these issues my advice is this: find a comfortable place, adopt a similar position (eg, sitting on your favorite couch with your arm on the armrest), and take your BP at the same time each day, not too close to a mealtime. Track your BP over several days, average those readings and take that as your BP. And, of course, eat your vegetables/fiber, cut down your salt intake, exercise regularly but not excessively, and consult a real doctor (not just a scientist).

I don't know how long the batteries (4 AAs; included) last, but will provide that as an update. I'd guess they should be good for 3 - 6 months, depending on how often you use the monitor. I haven't run out of memory yet, but you can always write it down/keep a log anyway. Also, there's a function for allowing someone else to check their BP without it messing up your readings, but I've never used that either. There is no button to automatically calculate an average BP, which seems like a strange omission, but does keep the number of buttons to a minimum.

The unit is not too heavy, seems fairly well-built, has just one essential nice-sized button, and the brand is trustworthy. Two of my friends have monitors by the same manufacturer and have used them for years. At least one of them bought it for a very good price at one of those big warehouse stores, but Amazon's shipping is fast and convenient. In fact build quality seems high enough that it's possible this device will outlast me. Although, with its help, I might be able to give it a run for its money...

1.0 out of 5 stars Opt for the 7 Series!, September 20, 2011
I chose the Omron742 5 series due to some reviewers' difficulty in using the 7 series cuff. When it arrived, I found this monitor easy to use, but my blood pressure readings were all over the place, from normal to "Call the doctor" readings, all within minutes of each other. After a few days of wondering if I were in need of medication, I brought the monitor with me to my chiropractor appointment. My pressure was 18 points lower using her manual monitor. The monitor was easy to return, and Amazon paid the postage since the monitor was defective. I decided to replace it with an Omron 7 Series, since my chiropractor assured me that her mother had one, and the cuff was very easy to use. I bought it locally at Costco for only a few dollars more than the 5 Series. It was very easy to use the cuff, and the readings have been very accurate. I guess the moral of the story is to always bring new monitors to one's next medical appointment to check the accuracy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, June 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I already own an older Omiron BP cuff (the original Omiron HEM-711), so I was happy to get this one to compare with it. This cuff fixes some major flaws with the older one, but introduces a few of its own:

Pros:

- Unlike the original version, the readout displays your blood pressure and pulse at the same time, and holds the display long enough for the numbers to be read and written down.

- Even better, the display has a memory function - you can scroll back through older readings, including a time and date stamp. Further, the memory function can accommodate two different users.

- There is a function to detect an irregular heartbeat, and to average several pressures, and some other bells and whistles.

- The unit comes with batteries (but this may be because it won't work with rechargeables, and they were tired of getting returns).

- There is a little zippered bag to keep everything in.

Cons:

- My old unit had clear and understandable instructions written on the cuff itself, and a green bit on the edge to show you where to place the cuff relative to your artery. The new one has instructions on the cuff, but they're considerably less clear, and you will really need to read the manual. I'm not sure why they didn't keep the older and better design - yes, it saves a few cents in manufacturing, but the newer unit is considerably less user-friendly.

- The old unit had an on/off button, and a start button, and that's all. The new one has more bells and whistles, but has done away with the on/off - to turn the thing on, you press "Start/stop", then you have to press it again to start the cuff inflation. I understand why you have to press twice (to give you the chance to select which memory file to store the data in), but again this is just a bit confusing. How much could another button have cost?

- The older unit came in a sturdy, compact cardboard box, which I am still using to store it. The new one is packaged more for display than storage - the box is flimsy and big, with a non-recyclable plastic insert to keep everything arranged prettily. To mitigate, they give you a zippered bag to store it. (How about a sturdy little polypropylene box, with a paper label that can be peeled off after the device is purchased? Best of both worlds).

Since I now have two machines, and since I'm that kind of person, I decided to take my readings simultaneously in both arms (carefully using the manual's directions for a right-arm read, which are slightly different from the default left). Both arms were at the same level, and fully relaxed. My pulse was identical, but my systolic was different by eight points, and my diastolic was different by three. This isn't a fatal margin of error, but worth noting.

1.0 out of 5 stars 8-10 points high and bad customer service, February 9, 2012
I took this to my family physician's clinic to verify the reading. Several doctors tested it on several patients and each time it read between 8 and 10 point high.

I called Omron (2/9/12, around noon Eastern time) to see if they would replace it, but the customer service rep (Tanya) said that I had to pay to send it to their repair shop for testing.

As I received it in a defective state, I can only assume that Omron does not stand behind their products and does not understand what good customer service means.

5.0 out of 5 stars blood pressure cuff, April 1, 2011
I love the Omron BP742 5 Series. It gives accurate blood pressure as well as stores it for future reference. It also identifies if you have an uneven heart beat. I am on medicine to lower my BP and I already have low BP so I like to keep track of it. Highly recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars old whacker, April 5, 2011
The Omron blood pressure monitor is great.
Delivry was as quoted and the unit works great.
I had a charger unit from a previous unit and woulD recommend the purchase of the adapter or charger to future buyers AND USE THE BATTERIES AS A BACK UP/

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Simple, March 22, 2011
Easy to use blood pressure monitor. Will track for two people - I use it to track morning and evening for myself. However, like most blood pressure cuffs, it only comes with a standard size cuff, so if you weigh more than 150 pounds, remember to get a larger cuff as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars BP Accuracy, May 5, 2011
Robert Osborn (Saco, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
I was dissapointed as to the minor complication of un-doing the cuff. Although the material cuff is better fitting, it can be complicated getting it to work initially. Once I figured it out, it is a great instrument. It is also difficult to find a DC adapter for it. Could not find one to buy listed with the product. Otherwise, great product for the price and function.

Rate and Discover Movies